Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

KillHour posted:

Can't wait for this post to be an exhibit in a lawsuit.

Lmao. Keep dreaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

FISHMANPET posted:

I think there's a pretty wide gulf across the industry on what exactly "Service Desk" is supposed to do. We have a Service Desk that can handle a few frequent things like password resets, and then knowledge base articles that tell them which T2 to escalate to, there's no expectation, or even really room for troubleshooting in that role. Even the T2 teams are mostly just following procedures and have very little option to do real troubleshooting. So hopefully people are making expectations clear with their Service Desk that you expect them to research and troubleshoot on their own, and not just escalate if it's not one of 12 procedures they're explicitly trained to do.

I'm paid like the script follower but expected to work like a T3 on everything that sucks poo poo

Don't work for small nonprofits I guess

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Wasn't it sickening that had the support platform leak on uh, whatever company that was. Was it someone else?

Tell me I'm bad doodoo compared to him.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

FISHMANPET posted:

I think there's a pretty wide gulf across the industry on what exactly "Service Desk" is supposed to do. We have a Service Desk that can handle a few frequent things like password resets, and then knowledge base articles that tell them which T2 to escalate to, there's no expectation, or even really room for troubleshooting in that role. Even the T2 teams are mostly just following procedures and have very little option to do real troubleshooting. So hopefully people are making expectations clear with their Service Desk that you expect them to research and troubleshoot on their own, and not just escalate if it's not one of 12 procedures they're explicitly trained to do.

I agree. Our place was a special kind of hell in that they tried to be ITIL compliant with a tiny shop. So they made SD do the ITIL foundations cert which I think mentions that SD should be more password reset and triage focused. The actual expectation was that they should at least try to do basic troubleshooting before escalating because of how small the team was, though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

jaegerx posted:

Wasn't it sickening that had the support platform leak on uh, whatever company that was. Was it someone else?
yeah, palo alto

quote:

ok

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

tokin opposition posted:

:smith:

Someone give me a real IT job

No. Do your time in the poo poo factory.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

i am a moron posted:

No. Do your time in the poo poo factory.

Where else will you learn the people skills you need to succeed in this industry?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jaegerx posted:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/palo-alto-networks-error-exposed-customer-support-cases-attachments/

This wasn't me, but this was someone who also came to the same results as me but by their helpdesk being dumb.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i finish most of my tickets in the first hour and spend the rest of the day reading manga and i have years of experience in social services. I guarantee you I could beat your rear end in the social skills dojo

please all i want to do is automate all the drudgework my boss won't let me and make our inventory system not a loving excel spreadsheet

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Dreamer posted:

We went through three of those fuckers before we finally got a guy that could actually troubleshoot worth a drat. Problem was the rest of his team sucked so bad that he got burned out in the first couple of months.
On my side we've gone through two of these fuckers... but they were the "senior admins", making the competent service desk people wonder WHAT THE gently caress.

I've promised them promotions.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

tokin opposition posted:

i finish most of my tickets in the first hour and spend the rest of the day reading manga and i have years of experience in social services. I guarantee you I could beat your rear end in the social skills dojo

please all i want to do is automate all the drudgework my boss won't let me and make our inventory system not a loving excel spreadsheet

Okay. I think our helpdesk is hiring.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

once it is earned we will have it, that simple

But actually im looking for a different helldesk role that requires no brain but does allow training/certs since I've been doing the brain part for a bit now and what I haven't had time for is training/certs

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Your problem is that you might be trying to be honest in a world full of liars.

Go big and fake it until you make it friend.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

ASAPRockySituation posted:

once it is earned we will have it, that simple

But actually im looking for a different helldesk role that requires no brain but does allow training/certs since I've been doing the brain part for a bit now and what I haven't had time for is training/certs

I can give you 5 hours a week

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sickening posted:

Your problem is that you might be trying to be honest in a world full of liars.

Go big and fake it until you make it friend.

This is the way. We live in a world that rewards delusional self confidence and by god it pays off.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

just put devops on your linkedin.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sickening posted:

The universal thing that all companies have agreed on is that the service desk is for people who make poo poo money.

Counterpoint, I'm pretty sure I saw DBT hiring a CSA position that paid $180k.

Pretty sure that their version of a help desk requires some pretty in-depth knowledge of their product though.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

jaegerx posted:

just put devops on your linkedin.

DevOps of CustOps

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

NPR Journalizard posted:

Counterpoint, I'm pretty sure I saw DBT hiring a CSA position that paid $180k.

Pretty sure that their version of a help desk requires some pretty in-depth knowledge of their product though.

GCP support recruiter said it would pay like $160-200k, which is remarkable considering the execrable quality of GCP Support. I said no - 6 months of helldesk is quite enough for one life.

And then they laid off all their US support staff a month later lmao.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

GCP support recruiter said it would pay like $160-200k, which is remarkable considering the execrable quality of GCP Support. I said no - 6 months of helldesk is quite enough for one life.

No executive bonus can be missed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

When the gently caress is the forums going to upgrade to edge

so mean :(

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Still works for me, the cisco thread sucks though.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

look up this new methodology called "edging," I'm told network engineers love it

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

Still works for me, the cisco thread sucks though.

I don't know what you want me to tell you. I can't make networking interesting.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Networking is only interesting when it's broken, and that's only because watching the network guy sweat and swear is entertaining. He's a Newfie so every time something falls over I learn a new curse word/phrase.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Are you saying that the cloud has replaced networking?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Antioch posted:

Networking is only interesting when it's broken, and that's only because watching the network guy sweat and swear is entertaining. He's a Newfie so every time something falls over I learn a new curse word/phrase.

Networking is supposed to be boring, that means you designed and implemented it right. Like our network... isn't :v:

At least our on-call people don't get call-outs every week, but it happens more often than I like. A few years back we had to shut down service for about 18 hours, it affected a few hundred thousand people, and made national news. The root cause? A broadcast storm in a large L2 network that we still haven't been able to retire :downs:

At least we have mitigations in place now, but I don't like it. gently caress dealing with SCADA protocols from the 90s.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge 365
Edge 365
Edge 365 Web
Web Edge 365
Web 365
Microsoft Web 365
Microsoft 365 Web

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My boss has over the past 10 years trained our subset of users (~400 people) to skip calling the help desk and come directly to us with any problems. I don’t know what they were thinking but I’m doing the slow, slow work of undoing the damage while searching for another job.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The Iron Rose posted:

They contacted me for a some Solution Engineer GCP position or some such but the schedule was brutal so I turned it down on that alone. This was weeks before google's announcements and the people I interviewed with are likely not there since this was all in Austin.

P.S they pay less in :canada: for the same job, and just slightly modify the title.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

But what about corporate retreats?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I havent done enterprise networking in like 3 years now. The only "interesting" bits were midnight fiber cuts, and fighting cisco bugs left and right that required code upgrades which introduced other new and exciting bugs.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ticket subj: Computer won't turn on.

Resolution: Computer missing/stolen, ticket closed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I was a low level T1/T3 support admin it was call after call from fussy customers that lost one packet in an hour long ping test who demanded we figure it out and fix it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

When I was a low level T1/T3 support admin it was call after call from fussy customers that lost one packet in an hour long ping test who demanded we figure it out and fix it.

"Cosmic ray buy ECC memory" *click*

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

xzzy posted:

I am dealing with this right now. A line of data showed up with the decimal in the wrong place and they are demanding I explain how and why it happened. It is not that someone mistyped when entering the data, no it is our software and we need to get Dev involved right away.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Zil posted:

I am dealing with this right now. A line of data showed up with the decimal in the wrong place and they are demanding I explain how and why it happened. It is not that someone mistyped when entering the data, no it is our software and we need to get Dev involved right away.

I used to hate poo poo like this when I managed Business Systems. 99% of the job was defending the system against people who clearly hosed up but would just say "no, I entered the data correctly, the system is just WRONG". Then you'd show them the transaction log showing their fuckup and they would go radio silence.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I am so glad that by the time I was applying for jobs in a professional sense that online job boards were solidly a thing. Not great, but at least a thing. How in the gently caress people got jobs before I will never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

They walked into a shop, asked for the manager, gave a firm handshake and a resume, just like boomers insisted I do. Absolutely hosed.