Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Some Guy TT posted:

ugggh i wish id known i could do that in hong kong i had assumed like an idiot that it would be better to let the school handle things for me but i just got off an hour long phone call where they berated me for not already knowing how to do extremely obvious things like apply for a blue code on dingtalk and also refusing to explain how to apply for a blue code on dingtalk like which part of the app is this even supposed to be in so yeah the idea of their arranging to send me a sim card is pretty laughable in this context

and im not an employee im a student if this matters apparently three or four have gotten in ahead of me and most are staying at hotels for their +7+7 days quarantine after the initial +7+3 which surprised me since the first week of school quarantine is apparently free and even the second non free week is cheaper than hotels but apparently you need blue code to go to the dormitory and also you cant leave the school but if youre at a hotel on your own dime you can go wherever you want and i find myself think what the gently caress is even the point of this extra two week quarantine why are you even using that word and my contempt for the situation unavoidably seeps into my attempts to understand what the hell im supposed to be doing when my quarantines up and i need to leave the hotel

im starting to wonder whether i should ever even bother trying to set foot on the school at all at this point this whole trip has been a huge disaster and my stupid idiot assumption that my school would be more useful and communicative if i was physically in china has completely torpedoed almost the entire rationale behind my coming out here in the first place

if it makes you feel any better, once you're out of the hotel and able to actually start doing stuff you'll probably figure stuff out and calm down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Knowing the multiplication tables is a good baseline, but it's also important to grasp "number theory" to be able to do shortcuts

If you can't remember what's 8x3, you can still do 3x5 and 3x3 and add them together

That comes out to 15 and 9

You know that 9 is made up of 5 and 4, and you also know that 5 and 5 instantly make 10

So you break down 15 + 9 into 15 + 5 + 4, which is the 20 + 4, which is 24

8x3 = 24

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Antonymous posted:

if you can't multiply 132x217 at the same speed you can do 333x100 in your head then you are in fact using rote memorization

what're the mathlete strats for these? my method for three to four digit multiplication is to factor into easier chunks and rearrange until i see easy ones, so 132 becomes 12x11 and 217 becomes 7(30+1), at which point i stumble a bit working out how i proceed but it goes 31x7x12x11=31x3x4x77=31x2x2(210+21)=31x2x2x231=(30+1)x2x462=(30+1)924=(27000+600+120)+924=28644. but after writing that out i could also imagine (140-8)(220-3) working out faster and with less/easier searching through factorization space? are there good rules of thumb for telling ahead of time what's faster or do you pick a favorite and drill it or develop an instinct for it or what

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DingTalk is probably one of the few apps that gets bad reviews for being really good at doing its job.

The productivity app from e-commerce giant Alibaba has long had a love-and-hate relationship with Chinese employees, with one observer calling it an “Orwellian” version of Slack. In recent weeks, it’s been review bombed by its newest users, after Alibaba adapted the app for the country’s gigantic online learning experiment. Most Chinese schools and companies have been operating virtually for weeks in the wake of the Lunar New Year holiday, after coronavirus cases surged in January and Beijing put many cities under a strict quarantine.

DingTalk’s new features (link in Chinese) for schools include live-streamed classes for as many as 300 students, and online testing and grading features—more than 50 million students are now signed up to use it. Many of these students bombarded app stores with one-star reviews for DingTalk, complaining the app had ruined their extended holiday by allowing teachers to remotely monitor them. “I am really speechless, teachers require us to check in every day and gave us loads of homework,” said a user on Weibo (link in Chinese).

DingTalk saw its rating bounce back (link in Chinese) slightly this month supported by a flurry of five-star ratings, with some saying the app would train students to be good future employees.

“I can see which students have read my notices and ‘Ding’ those who haven’t easily using the app…,” said a Chinese teacher at a primary school in China. “I understand why managers like to use ‘Ding’ message—as employees we should reply to our bosses quickly anyway.”

How is DingTalk different from Slack?
Founded in 2014, the app, which is called “Ding Ding” in Chinese for the sound its messages make, is part of Alibaba’s efforts to compete with its rival Tencent, owner of messaging app WeChat, in the corporate space. While DingTalk has many of the same features as Slack, including group communications, voice and video calls, and file-sharing, DingTalk also includes a slew of monitoring features the US app doesn’t have.The Ding message function allows managers to ping specific employees—these messages feature a blue thumbtack logo. Ding messages can be sent to employees not only in the app, but also through automated phone calls and text messages. Then, managers get read/unread status updates, making it tricky for employees not to respond if they happen to glance at a message during time off, triggering a “read” receipt. A manager at a corporate user can send up to 10,000 “Ding” messages each day within the app.

Meanwhile the app’s clock in/out function, one of its most-used features, has been described as a “digital punch card machine” by some. In the morning, it sends reminders to users about how many minutes they have left to get to work. It also keeps tabs on when employees arrive at work by logging what time they connect to the office Wifi, and when they disconnect, for example to go to lunch. While the feature also helps workers track and get paid for overtime, and is less hassle than scanning a phone code to clock in as some companies used to require, it also allows companies to measure lateness down to the minute, and whether a worker is doing what they said they’d be doing when they’re not at the office.

DingTalk has said it doesn’t allow managers to track (link in Chinese) employees’ real-time locations automatically. However, when a user enables location services, the app will tell managers if an employee was at a location they said they’d be, such as at the doctor or at a client meeting.

Apart from location-based clocking in, DingTalk also has a facial-recognition option that requires employees to smile when they scan their face to check in or out.

How many people are using the app?
DingTalk said it had 200 million individual registered users and over 10 million corporate clients as of September 2019. In comparison, Slack had 12 million daily active users as of last October.

What are the major complaints about the app?
Most of the complaints focus on how managers can use DingTalk to monitor and reach employees round-the-clock.

“I really feel DingTalk is like hell, especially when I finally have some time off and want to have a good sleep but am awakened by ‘Ding’ messages,” said a user on Zhihu, a Chinese question-and-answer website. “DingTalk is a high-tech, modern day shackle used by management to treat employees as slaves,” said another.

For many Chinese students, the app has stripped them of the already very limited freedoms they had during this unexpected time out of school. Some complained that the clock in/out function means they can’t sleep late, and have to follow the school’s schedule at home.

“Thanks to the app, the piles of homework finally came back to me again and I can see the loving faces of teachers everyday! I love it so much, my beautiful DingTalk!” wrote a student (link in Chinese) sarcastically on the app’s IOS page.

Alibaba did not immediately reply to a request for comment on the negative reviews—but DingTalk took note of the complaints and put out an apology video (link in Chinese) filled with memes and jokes, asking students to treat it more kindly.

“I know you young people don’t want to have such a ‘productive’ holiday… but please stop giving me one stars,” said the video’s narrator.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

lol dumb authoritarian chinese people forcing students to do their homework and robbing them of their freedom

LATER

why are all these chinese kids so good at math evidently the oriental mind must be uniquely sculpted to facilitate excellence in this field

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
china probably actually pays math teachers and therefore still has math teachers, probably even good ones. the different between having someone who can teach math and the typical person that sticks around beyond the short-year burnout timer in american schools is insane. some people have and maintain some fun with math early but I think a lot of people who end up going "im gonna do math for a while" have one or two teachers who they click with and actually do learn well from. I think math has a lot of rote memorization required (all learning does and you can boil down a lot of other terms to rote memorization but it's not really useful to do) but it does have some things beyond that that you can firmly grasp in calculus. before calculus too, but that's actually probably harder to get a sense for. doing the typical year after of differential equations/linear algebra or whatever else beyond calculus is well in building intuition land. it's not the same kind of 'actual' mathematical intuition people who go through a proof-based curriculum will develop but it's still valuable. definitely does not require knowing what 5x5 is by rote though. you can genuinely just skip times tables. you'll pick them up as you go. or not. doesn't matter a single bit.

anyway the US' treatment of its teaching labor pool has always sucked and has gotten worse. probably not true of china. that "force students to do their homework" comment is a joke I think but that is not a thing that actually works unless your goal is to just browbeat them into rote memorization and testing accordingly.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

this allusion meant posted:

what're the mathlete strats for these? my method for three to four digit multiplication is to factor into easier chunks and rearrange until i see easy ones, so 132 becomes 12x11 and 217 becomes 7(30+1), at which point i stumble a bit working out how i proceed but it goes 31x7x12x11=31x3x4x77=31x2x2(210+21)=31x2x2x231=(30+1)x2x462=(30+1)924=(27000+600+120)+924=28644. but after writing that out i could also imagine (140-8)(220-3) working out faster and with less/easier searching through factorization space? are there good rules of thumb for telling ahead of time what's faster or do you pick a favorite and drill it or develop an instinct for it or what

ok

but I was just saying that the 'easy' patterns are ones recalled from rote memorization not ones that are fundamentally easy. multiplying by 100 means adding two zeros but multiplying by another 3 digit number I might have to break it into recognizable chunks, like you just recognized 7x11=77 because a single digit times a series of ones just repeats the single digit as many times as the ones were repeated. it's a pattern you tell a kid over and over and then we look for it, but you wound't program a computer to do math that way, cause computers actually do math, not just recall rote facts and slam them together.

and I'm thinking more the people who say 'rote memorizations sucks' don't realize they do their math from this rote memorization too

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

rote memorization sounds bad until you want to learn chinese characters

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's your point though, memory is bad and dumb...?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

this guy gets it

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
it is the very first, and most critical step, of media analysis and criticism

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Slavvy posted:

calculating my brain volume with (2/3)pi r squared because it has no wrinkles

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

What the gently caress

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

MLSM posted:

What the gently caress

Accelerationism

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still lol that westerners are shocked and confused by the idea of a government that actually does things

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Antonymous posted:

people think their math skill is something they 'developed an intuition for' but all those fun math paradoxes / tricky problems basically teach you that you had a shortcut that worked in many examples but is not actually math knowledge. if that makes sense.

I sincerely believe unless you have a phd and are working on some cutting edge stuff the math you do is entirely from rote memorization

like I saw someone lose patience with a kid for not knowing 7x3 or w/e but it;s not like the adult had some deep idea of multiplication, they just memorized it like I know D comes after A in the alphabet. it's not obvious you just do it a lot and then it feels like intuition

The best math learning I ever did was when I was tutoring it because now knowing poo poo isn’t enough, you also have to figure out how to explain it, preferably in multiple ways, and that quickly leads to having to understand why something is true rather than just that it is true.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Orange Devil posted:

The best math learning I ever did was when I was tutoring it because now knowing poo poo isn’t enough, you also have to figure out how to explain it, preferably in multiple ways, and that quickly leads to having to understand why something is true rather than just that it is true.

it rules. and it is extremely efficient at figuring out which things you were bullshitting to yourself. maybe fixing that. it's basically like posting but better

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

it rules. and it is extremely efficient at figuring out which things you were bullshitting to yourself. maybe fixing that. it's basically like posting but better

Yeah. Pity about the first batch of students, until you figure out what you're talking about.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Orange Devil posted:

Has been said that there's no better way to learn than to teach.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous posted:

it's a pattern you tell a kid over and over and then we look for it, but you wound't program a computer to do math that way, cause computers actually do math, not just recall rote facts and slam them together.

you absolutely would and there's a whole galaxy of algorithms that are programming a computer to take a shortcut rather than do math

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The whole trick is to never do math unless you absolutely can't avoid it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Cuttlefush posted:

Also I tutored a couple of hot girls which was also the only time during high school hot girls were in my room.

They got better maths grades so I guess this was a win-win.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
America getting ready for war with China.

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1582677573984657408?s=46&t=tQlntGrc4Cu5vnEm7T0TKA

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
nope not a grift at all

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

fart simpson posted:

cool but counterpoint: the united states doesn’t need any more help brain draining the developing countries

an alternative is that you structure it like one of the many scholarships that require you to return to your home country for a minimum of 10 years after college, which reduces brain drain while still building strong social bridges between countries, such as those offered by thailand, singapore, kazakhstan, etc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so one of our senators had the bright idea yesterday to propose banning Korean movies and shows from Philippine airwaves, supposedly to get people to support local media instead

I'm a lot less interested in that, but it did make me think: did South Korea engage in a kind of protectionism in its efforts to develop its K-Pop industry?

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

lmao

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Antonymous posted:

ok

but I was just saying that the 'easy' patterns are ones recalled from rote memorization not ones that are fundamentally easy. multiplying by 100 means adding two zeros but multiplying by another 3 digit number I might have to break it into recognizable chunks, like you just recognized 7x11=77 because a single digit times a series of ones just repeats the single digit as many times as the ones were repeated. it's a pattern you tell a kid over and over and then we look for it, but you wound't program a computer to do math that way, cause computers actually do math, not just recall rote facts and slam them together.

and I'm thinking more the people who say 'rote memorizations sucks' don't realize they do their math from this rote memorization too

man i don’t care about your argument with that guy i thought this was the mathlete strat thread

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

so one of our senators had the bright idea yesterday to propose banning Korean movies and shows from Philippine airwaves, supposedly to get people to support local media instead

I'm a lot less interested in that, but it did make me think: did South Korea engage in a kind of protectionism in its efforts to develop its K-Pop industry?

sortof most obviously japanese stuff was banned well into the nineties and while this wasnt done for (these specific kinds of) protectionist reasons it did leave a huge opening for the domestic production of j pop style musical industry that could also be fairly easily exported to other asian countries that also had historical or trade reasons to avoid japanese stuff but no reason to avoid korean stuff south korea had a unique advantage in that it had a larger population compared to these other countries and also that physical proximity to japan meant that there was still more exposure to the latest hippest trends there than in other places

we both know this is a stupid question im only asking for rhetorical purposes but any particular reason why theyre not talking about banning american stuff or having a blanket foreign quota when korean stuff is not in fact all that overwhelming compared to the largest media production industry on the planet brief little lol that the watcher appears to only just barely be outperforming sh**ting stars though a fairly mediocre korean drama that came out half a year ago that southeast asian netflix only just got around to licensing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

we both know this is a stupid question im only asking for rhetorical purposes but any particular reason why theyre not talking about banning american stuff or having a blanket foreign quota when korean stuff is not in fact all that overwhelming compared to the largest media production industry on the planet brief little lol that the watcher appears to only just barely be outperforming sh**ting stars though a fairly mediocre korean drama that came out half a year ago that southeast asian netflix only just got around to licensing

the idea of foreign investment crowding out the opportunity for local industries to develop, and specifically the ability of American foreign investment doing that, has just been completely scrubbed from public consciousness

broadly speaking, most people here think that the only way to get new jobs is to have foreign investors come in and set up shop, sometimes with the explicit mention of it being necessary to provide competition against domestic oligarchs

in some ways, this is being exploited by more aggressively neoliberal political factions, in that they're use this argument in support of removing any and all restrictions on foreign ownership, some of which is enshrined in the constitution

that kind of push has met with some resistance as of late, because "what if China buys out our power and telecoms companies and shuts off the electricity and the internet right before an invasion?"

but even in those cases, there's still support for the need to have foreign investment, except the policy translates to a need to stamp out corruption and reduce red tape, so that foreigners are more eager to come here

___

specific to the entertainment industry, the intuitive take is that we need to support domestic artists more, but never that there needs to be some kind of action taken with respect to foreigners

people have this pervasive notion that nobody wants to watch Filipino movies and shows because they are generally/generically bad, and not because, say, every single theater was showing Avengers Endgame when it was released

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
someone's reading piketty

https://twitter.com/HAOHONG_CFA/status/1582642747176996864

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao, gettem

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

genericnick posted:

Lmao, gettem

how china could ever recover from one manufacturer of very overpriced alcohol catastrophically becoming just a manufacturer of overpriced alcohol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Petey posted:

well, if you look at india proper, the focus is so much on the JEE that the olympiads don't play as much of a role, and i expect that filters out into the broader diaspora too. team usa has certainly had some strong indian-americans on it, but iirc they've mostly been from school districts where the cultural norm for high-achieving stem students was to do olympiad stuff (as opposed to robotics or science research or whatever). there's also not a strong pipeline of olympiads to medical school, whereas there is a strong pipeline of olympiads to engineering, and so the parent networks share different kinds of enrichment opportunities (you see much more indian-american representation at the top levels of the science research competitions that culturally feel more like medicine, for example).

Thank you for the 2 great posts.

Didnt know about the medical related competitions. I guess the medical prizes to the Indian amercians is basically what Guinness world records are for the Indians.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Love that "The Politics Institute"
Sorry America but I just finished my list of countries that are cool and nice with it but you are DEAD LAST BITCH

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
lol

https://www.blackburn.senate.gov/2022/10/blackburn-colleagues-call-on-president-biden-to-oppose-huawei-aligned-semiconductor-plant

quote:

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), along with Senators Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), Bill Hagerty (R-Tenn.), Ted Cruz (R-Texas), and Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) sent a letter to President Biden demanding he act quickly to prevent Huawei from building the Pengxinwei IC Manufacturing Company (PXW) semiconductor plant. The opening of this plant would put the United States at a disadvantage in countering Huawei, advance Communist China’s Military-Civil Fusion campaign, put American semiconductor companies at a disadvantage, and pose a national security concern.

Not only is this factory in China, it uses basically no US equipment. Please Biden, stop the Chinese from building this factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

hell yeah, gonna finally have a bunch of gamer RGB lights on our drones and poo poo