Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
its utter bullshit. look under some other arbitrary age? Who cares about that age? am I under 18? And under 18s are literal amoebas so no I'm not. I'm not interested in all your other bullshit just sell booze to children if youre otherwise going to annoy me at least someones enjoying themselves the economys moving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I had a quick look to see what the twitter hivemind thought, and it looks like a lot of people clocked that Truss had a strong benzo look, and not for the first time by the looks of it.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 19, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JRM spotted in the wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaP1-17hMuM

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Geri_E_L_Scott/status/1582427485769437184

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

I had a quick look to see what the twitter hivemind thought, and it looks like a lot of people clocked that Truss had a strong benzo look, and not for the first time by the looks of it.
The invisible (shaky) hand of Dr. Professor Jordan B Peterson showing us woke moralists who cancels who.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I think the tofu is just tofu, like Avocados innit.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

It makes sense for them to have pre-prepared scripts in case of power outages. Like they have obits for important people prepared just in case, or there being both a success and a failure speech written for the moonlandings.

What's insane is that we're talking about power outages in a nominally first world country. The last time I experienced powercuts as a standard thing was when we lived in Goa back in the 80s, when they were a regular feature during the monsoon.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Being in Scotland, general TV not representing things like they are up here (i.e. Not London) is something I got used to, but it's been occurring to me more and more that regular TV, not just the news, is doing the same thing across most of the UK.

TV dramas and soaps all seem to be full of characters with affluent lifestyles; "reality" TV shows full of the types of people likely to have woodburning stoves heating their house.

Destitution seems purposefully hidden from UK TV shows to the point where everything seems like escapist fantasy.

I know it's not new or anything but it just riles me up a bit that you've got the likes of bake off, the nations darling TV show, flaunting about making cakes just so a fat prick and walking corpse can have a wee chuckle at how someone's cake isn't moist enough.

Meanwhile, there's a lot of families out there who are going to struggle to afford formula for their new babies.

I bet we'll never see Noel Fielding lead a bake off special of Stand Up To Poverty on channel 4.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There is a place for entertainment too though. People deserve an escape. Mind you I can't bear those property shows, feels cruel.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

fuctifino posted:

It's because she's an empty headed dumbass OP. I've worked in call centres I know that look.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Britain, 2023 -after a hard day extinguishing souls at the dwp, our hero rides their hamster wheel for 2 hours in order to generate enough electricity to allow them to guzzle a pot noodle and jack off to "can't pay we'll take it away".

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

HopperUK posted:

There is a place for entertainment too though. People deserve an escape. Mind you I can't bear those property shows, feels cruel.

My entertainment would consist of Grand Designs revisiting all the smug people who ended up in debt due to their fancy new houses and watching Kevin McCloud console them but then tearing the poo poo out of them in the end credits. :allears:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

NotJustANumber99 posted:

what kind of nissan?

Cash Quwhy

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Well, it's Wednesday etc.

From a few days back...

https://twitter.com/nmber48/status/1581537246813229059

(she deleted her account)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

keep punching joe posted:

It's because she's an empty headed dumbass OP. I've worked in call centres I know that look.

I’ve worked with Truss and I know that look. She’s not on anything, she’s too dull and very very stupid, Like Lord Rust stupid, if she does not understand something it gets written out if her reality, basically if it’s not time to put 10p in the idiot it just sits there switched off.

You don’t need conspiracy about designer drugs, it’s always going to be simple whiskey and cocaine, taking uppers and alcohol together is parliament’s big problem

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Angrymog posted:

What's insane is that we're talking about power outages in a nominally first world country. The last time I experienced powercuts as a standard thing was when we lived in Goa back in the 80s, when they were a regular feature during the monsoon.
Already looking forward to the gammon crowd blaming millennial wokesters for all the cashless businesses unable to do transactions in a blackout

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

learnincurve posted:

You don’t need conspiracy about designer drugs, it’s always going to be simple whiskey and cocaine, taking uppers and alcohol together is parliament’s big problem

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
being a long term poor there's something especially grating about a series of media outlets suddenly all deciding now is the time to look at just how bad things have gotten like identical woeful examples haven't been available to them for the last two loving decades

I mean no doubt it's gotten worse- it's gotten far bloody worse- and that happened while many of the exact same loving papers were pushing expertly polished narratives of the benefits scrounger and cheerleading every vicious cut

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
*special report*

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Kin posted:

Being in Scotland, general TV not representing

TV dramas and soaps all seem to be full of characters with affluent lifestyles; "reality" TV shows full of the types of people likely to have woodburning stoves heating their house.

Destitution seems purposefully hidden from UK TV shows to the point where everything seems like escapist fantasy.

Broadcast TV is overwhelmingly watched by pensioners these days, who tend to be better off and mostly insulated from the pressures that working-age people are feeling. If you want eyeballs on your programmes, you need to appeal to them. This is why broadcast TV these days is all about people buying £800k cottages in the countryside, antiques roadshow, home renovations, cosy cooking shows and comfy comedy dramas set in the 50's and 60's where there's an excuse for all the actors to be white.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Kin posted:

Being in Scotland, general TV not representing things like they are up here (i.e. Not London) is something I got used to, but it's been occurring to me more and more that regular TV, not just the news, is doing the same thing across most of the UK.

Suspect a big part of it is the people who live with destitution have basically no way of getting into the entertainment industry anymore. I mean, even less so than before

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

learnincurve posted:

I’ve worked with Truss and I know that look. ... Like Lord Rust stupid,...

:hmmyes:

That puts everything in perspective.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I had a unsettling thing watching Regency dramas where I suddenly thought the absence of all the grim stuff for the poor in those is quite similar to how things are in dramas today, and found watching things a bit more uncomfortable afterwards

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I’ve worked with Truss

in, uh, what capacity?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

vegetables posted:

I had a unsettling thing watching Regency dramas where I suddenly thought the absence of all the grim stuff for the poor in those is quite similar to how things are in dramas today, and found watching things a bit more uncomfortable afterwards

Lol, Bridgerton? That was so detached and inaccurate to the period that it was more like a fantasy series set in a parallel universe.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Pistol_Pete posted:

Lol, Bridgerton? That was so detached and inaccurate to the period that it was more like a fantasy series set in a parallel universe.

Yup needed more Syphilis

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And the militia guarding stockpiles of butter.

Tweets unrelated.

https://twitter.com/lottelydia/status/1582350891121709056

https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1582474547911004161

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Only Kindness posted:

Well, it's Wednesday etc.

From a few days back...

https://twitter.com/nmber48/status/1581537246813229059

(she deleted her account)

lmao

According to other replies she reinstated her account but did a search for "Corbyn" and deleted all the tweets that came up.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

in, uh, what capacity?

Seeing her leave any room, sighing, and grabbing the mop and bucket.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

learnincurve posted:

I’ve worked with Truss and I know that look. She’s not on anything, she’s too dull and very very stupid, Like Lord Rust stupid, if she does not understand something it gets written out if her reality, basically if it’s not time to put 10p in the idiot it just sits there switched off.

Yeah look back at older videos of Truss and she has the same blank, empty stare. It's just that nobody has like, asked her questions before. Somewhat pointed questions. On video.

That said she's probably not in a great place healthwise, physically or mentally, with the stress of the last month, so it's not unreasonable to assume that there's some kind of medication involved, either professional or self-medication. Even if that's just drinking a bit too much at night which makes her look even worse than usual during the day.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1582637894631817216

:allears:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Truss has always sounded pretty dumb - even in that resurfaced video of her at the Lib Dem event she sounded kinda stupid, which I was more willing to forgive as students aren't always media savvy even today, let alone 25 years ago when being in front of a camera was a much rarer affair.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

God they really are just trying to fall back on the "global volatility" argument, even when Robinson points out he's full of poo poo he just makes more poo poo up to try and get out of it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

lilljonas posted:

Yeah look back at older videos of Truss and she has the same blank, empty stare. It's just that nobody has like, asked her questions before. Somewhat pointed questions. On video.

She's used to getting an easy ride, where she dresses up for a photoshoot and then gets asked a series of softball questions that even she can breeze through. It's really obvious that the intensity of scrutiny you come under as PM has come as a massive shock to her, and she just can't handle it and that's odd when you think about it: she's got quite a bit of cabinet experience so you'd think she'd have gone into being PM with a fair idea of the expectations on her.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

she just can't handle it and that's odd when you think about it: she's got quite a bit of cabinet experience so you'd think she'd have gone into being PM with a fair idea of the expectations on her.

It's easier to understand that the media has given the Tories free reign to be thick as pigshit, only given Labour poo poo for things they say.

If Dianne Abbot misremembers a number off the cuff it's the nine o'clock news. If Liz Truss doesn't even know the two regions in Ukraine under dispute, despite being foreign secretary and during a loving war, it's a couple of tweets that we laugh about. She has been on easy mode this whole time and for the first time ever her incompetence has a tangible effect on something she's accountable for: the economy.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/HuskerDude247/status/1582461361694846976?s=20&t=WOEhTEKwK6Swl8HnGi0ygA

SCG continue to be a collection of cowards and wastemen

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Pistol_Pete posted:

She's used to getting an easy ride, where she dresses up for a photoshoot and then gets asked a series of softball questions that even she can breeze through. It's really obvious that the intensity of scrutiny you come under as PM has come as a massive shock to her, and she just can't handle it and that's odd when you think about it: she's got quite a bit of cabinet experience so you'd think she'd have gone into being PM with a fair idea of the expectations on her.

It makes sense though if you assume (based on well, *points at everything*) that she's a bit... daft, uninterested, doesn't have an analytical mindset, etc.

I've seen plenty of people who simply don't learn from their surroundings, because they are not interested in or intelligent enough to do it. It's quite possible that yes, she's been sitting in cabinet and simply switched off whenever the focus was not on her. Or she's been dumb enough to only see the pomp and circumstance.

After all, a weird kind of cargo cult idea of what it means to lead a country seems intrinsic to the UK in general, but especially the Tories. Look at how many Tory politicians seem to believe that physically acting like Thatcher is what makes you a Politician. Look at May and Truss clearly trying to adopt her speech mannerisms more once elected PM. But then that's complaining about cargo cult political ideas in a country where a magic stick means that Parliament is valid.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 19, 2022

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

It's easier to understand that the media has given the Tories free reign to be thick as pigshit, only given Labour poo poo for things they say.

If Dianne Abbot misremembers a number off the cuff it's the nine o'clock news. If Liz Truss doesn't even know the two regions in Ukraine under dispute, despite being foreign secretary and during a loving war, it's a couple of tweets that we laugh about. She has been on easy mode this whole time and for the first time ever her incompetence has a tangible effect on something she's accountable for: the economy.

It was even worse than that; Russia’s main diplomat tricked her into saying Ukraine definitely has sovereignty over Rostov, which is uncontentiously a part of Russia. Then Russia went “your Foreign Secretary is an idiot, lol”

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This escaped my radar yesterday
https://twitter.com/openDemocracy/status/1582318356534657024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

vegetables posted:

It was even worse than that; Russia’s main diplomat tricked her into saying Ukraine definitely has sovereignty over Rostov, which is uncontentiously a part of Russia. Then Russia went “your Foreign Secretary is an idiot, lol”

Exactly, which she'd have known if she a) had any idea about the border regions b) just remembered that it's Luhansk and Donetsk / the Donbas that's in Ukraine. But Rostov is very much Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

God they really are just trying to fall back on the "global volatility" argument, even when Robinson points out he's full of poo poo he just makes more poo poo up to try and get out of it.

when you’ve lost the former chair of the young conservative association who somehow became the most important interviewer for the bbc what have you got