Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

drat has someone let Canada know they're an undeveloped society
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Canada

Canada has no national law on abortion (it was struck down and never replaced), but individual provinces each regulate it differently, restricting abortion after anywhere from 12-24 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I like how for women we have all sorts of devil advocates and edge case arguments so we can decide exactly where we take away a woman's body from her.

Meanwhile, rotting corpses of men go "lol can't do poo poo".

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I've demonstrated that the sources you've googled don't say what you're saying. Repeatedly.

https://www.arcc-cdac.ca/media/2020/08/list-abortion-clinics-canada.pdf

Updated October 4, 2022. Exhaustive list of clinics, shows gestational limits. Nothing above 24 weeks.

Take the L, DV. You're wrong here.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Kalman posted:

Updated October 4, 2022. Exhaustive list of clinics, shows gestational limits. Nothing above 24 weeks.

In BC you can go beyond 24 weeks, it's just very rarely done. For the rest of the provinces as you say it's varied.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mr. Mercury posted:

In BC you can go beyond 24 weeks, it's just very rarely done. For the rest of the provinces as you say it's varied.

Yeah, to my understanding these are basically “our default rule for abortion without any reason required”; after that point they may or may not perform them, depending on physician committees and similar ethics questions.

OTOH even when a Canadian hospital won’t do it, the larger provinces cover the cost of travel to the US and the procedure there, so it’s not at all comparable to US restrictions.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Kalman posted:

The second sentence of the notes section tells you it's not covering all the places most likely to go beyond 24 weeks.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 13, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

The second sentence of the notes section tells you it's not covering all the places most likely to go beyond 24 weeks.

I don't see anything that says that. Do you mean this?

quote:

Most providing hospitals are not listed unless they are the only facility, or one of the few facilities, providing abortions in that province or territory.

It's not really clear to me how that translates to "it's not covering all the places most likely to go beyond 24 weeks". Am I looking at the wrong notes section, or am I just misunderstanding something due to my lack of detailed knowledge about abortion facilities? Could you please explain a little more about what you're talking about? Preferably with more than just a dismissive one-liner?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not really clear to me how that translates to "it's not covering all the places most likely to go beyond 24 weeks". Am I looking at the wrong notes section, or am I just misunderstanding something due to my lack of detailed knowledge about abortion facilities? Could you please explain a little more about what you're talking about? Preferably with more than just a dismissive one-liner?

I read that note as saying 'this report only reports on dedicated clinics unless a hospital is one of the only providing facilities in an area'

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I think he’s trying to imply that past 24 weeks only hospitals would perform procedures, which, sure, but that doesn’t mean they’ll do it without any reason. Up to 24 weeks in Canada, you don’t need a reason - after that you’d need medical ethics approval from the hospitals ethics committee, which they’re not going to give out lightly. There’s one instance I found of a Montreal woman getting an abortion at 35 weeks but she had to go to a couple hospitals before one would do it, with the first one refusing to do it. And while they might not face criminal liability for abortion specifically, if professional standards for an area are not to perform a procedure after a certain date, they do face potential malpractice issues and loss of license, neither of which is trivial. Which is probably why clinics don’t do it and hospitals almost never do and don’t do it without serious introspection.

The idea that Canada is FFA up to birth is incorrect which was the original point up for debate, as far as I can recall at this point. They’re not. After 24 weeks (or earlier in most provinces) you’re at the mercy of someone else as to whether you can get an abortion.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Main Paineframe posted:

As your quoted sentence says, the list isn't exhaustive, which one of the things claimed about it. Hospitals, the places not covered comprehensively in this list (or many other lists) are the places most likely to cover later term abortions involving surgical methods because, briefly, they're best equipped to handle the risks that may accompany the circumstances of such procedures. As Mr. Mercury has also attested, there are places to get abortions past 24 weeks. I'm "dismissive" when it's the fourth time someone casting around for a source that will support their prior belief demonstrates they haven't read their source. That's before we even get into the problem of category that vitalsigns originally noted- that it was responding to a legality distinction.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

It’s an “exhaustive list of clinics”, which was what I claimed. Maybe you should be reading more carefully, or actually responding in depth instead of just “no that’s not it.”

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Kalman posted:

It’s an “exhaustive list of clinics”, which was what I claimed. Maybe you should be reading more carefully, or actually responding in depth instead of just “no that’s not it.”

If you're changing the underlying claim about access to only cover clinics, then sure. But that's not what the claim was- it was about access overall. It's shifted after the first five sources didn't support the original claim.

vvv this is true as well- it's very frustrating having to address a constant category shift that doesn't acknowledge it's doing it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 13, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The original claim was about legality. Whether anyone will actually do the procedure is a separate question, and the answer anywhere is of course going to be no because a 38th week abortion with no reason other than, idk, the woman wants to stop being pregnant so she can go to the club, is not a real thing that ever happens.

E: If people are having trouble with this: If someone says no civilized society would let me get a blowjob from Henry Cavil, I'd start pointing out all the countries (like Canada) where this is legal. If you wanted to be argumentative, you could move the goalposts and point out that Henry Cavil would refuse if I asked for a blowjob in a house or with a mouse or in a box with a fox or here or there or anywhere, so therefore I couldn't actually get one in Canada. And yes this would also be a true statement, but irrelevant to the original claim.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 13, 2022

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I still question the need of even creating that rhetorical space to begin with, it's moot yet there's a lot of storytelling going on

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

E: If people are having trouble with this: If someone says no civilized society would let me get a blowjob from Henry Cavil, I'd start pointing out all the countries (like Canada) where this is legal. If you wanted to be argumentative, you could move the goalposts and point out that Henry Cavil would refuse if I asked for a blowjob in a house or with a mouse or in a box with a fox or here or there or anywhere, so therefore I couldn't actually get one in Canada. And yes this would also be a true statement, but irrelevant to the original claim.

This kind of gets to legal vs legal rights. In Canada, it’s *legal* to get an abortion after 24 weeks; however, you don’t have a legal right to such an abortion meaning that your autonomy is subject to others decisions. Canadian provinces have made a decision - good or bad - that you don’t have unlimited autonomy in this arena after 24 weeks.

The equivalent in your hypo is that blowjobs from Henry Cavill are legal. You just don’t have a right to one. Which is good in this case! But maybe not so much when we’re talking abortion and bodily autonomy.

The 35 week story is actually an excellent example of the difference - https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/muhc-abortion-montreal-quebec-1.3904755. (It’s also a good example of why people would actually seek abortion at that late date.). And Montreal is basically your best possible option in Canada for abortions.

E: lest we forget, this was all triggered by the following statement: “Yet that’s not what we’re talking about. The argument was that a woman should have an absolute right to decide what to do with her body throughout the entirety of the pregnancy. Lest she be enslaved.

EDIT:
That includes weeks 36 through 40. It includes presumably requesting an abortion in lieu of giving birth when contractions have started.

It’s not hard to see why all developed societies I’m aware of have decided that enslavement of the mother is the lesser evil.”

That language is dumb as hell, but the point that Canada has decided to restrict that right is accurate. It may be legal to do, but you have no right to do it. (I’ll spare you the Hohfeldian jural correlative analysis.)

Kalman fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 13, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kalman posted:

This kind of gets to legal vs legal rights. In Canada, it’s *legal* to get an abortion after 24 weeks; however, you don’t have a legal right to such an abortion meaning that your autonomy is subject to others decisions.

This is a good point, yes the post quoted didn't explicitly distinguish between legal and legal right, but taking in the context and tenor of all of the op's posts on the subject (like comparing abortion to infanticide and asserting a fetus and a born baby ought not be treated any different legally), I feel pretty safe in my interpretation that the op was talking about legality and implying that every "developed" (hm weird my dog just started barking) society agrees with him and therefore his position is the only morally correct one, by argument ad populum. So I gave multiple examples of governments that did not have a legally forbidden cutoff date.

I suppose I could be wrong, and the op agrees with the Canadian government that there's no need to criminalize any abortions, and the procedure ought to be regulated by professional standards established by medical boards, I'd be glad to hear it*, but somehow I doubt that's what they meant.

E:*just to be clear, I still wouldn't agree because I think women ought to have a legal right to an abortion for any reason, but leaving it up to doctors is better than criminalizing it

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 13, 2022

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I don’t see it mentioned above but SCOTUS refused the Trump MAL appeal, no dissents noted.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Fifteen of Many posted:

I don’t see it mentioned above but SCOTUS refused the Trump MAL appeal, no dissents noted.

...in one sentence.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Waiting for president desantis and a Republican house and senate, no doubt.

Agreeing to hear a fetal personhood case would throw more fuel on the fire they started with striking down Roe that has taken the GOP from what would’ve been a historic red wave to having a real chance at not getting the Senate and a small chance at not getting the House.

To announce they’re taking on that case would ensure the next few weeks put the focus back on a topic the GOP absolutely doesn’t want people talking about and it’d also mean they can’t get people to talk about the economy and blame Biden for everything. Even causing a 1 point shift could determine who controls one or both chambers and by how much.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It's even simpler, they don't have 5 votes for fetal personhood, if they did they would have done it when they struck down Roe.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1582347508482646017?t=C4wFN_ZcnvTeJ9o8_LKVdg&s=19

I'm sure Thomas can't wait to deliver the majority opinion on this one.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Glacier Northwest Inc. v. International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local Union No. 174.
This one should be fun. Controversy related to strike action is generally handled by the National Labor Relations Board, with certain exceptions. This case is about whether a perishable product going bad counts as vandalism in and of itself.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Father Wendigo posted:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1582347508482646017?t=C4wFN_ZcnvTeJ9o8_LKVdg&s=19

I'm sure Thomas can't wait to deliver the majority opinion on this one.

Bringing back the 'one drop' rule, but with a twist!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
If striking unions are required to pay back any damages caused by work not performed being performed strikes and unions would cease to exist.

Or more pointedly, legal strikes will cease to exist which honestly might be a good thing. Too many loving hoops to jump through as is.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What is the SC clownshow doing about the leak? I heard a month ago they were going to release a report, and nothing since then.

Is it their intention to just slow-walk it to avoid having to reveal that the leak was a conservative justice or clerk, and just hope that everyone forgets about it eventually?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

If striking unions are required to pay back any damages caused by work not performed being performed strikes and unions would cease to exist.

Or more pointedly, legal strikes will cease to exist which honestly might be a good thing. Too many loving hoops to jump through as is.

The next question is if it’s legal to quit your job.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Weekend? That's got to be a crime.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Don't worry, the Thedacare injunction was lifted, so you can quit, unless a judge says you can't.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Workers in the USA better prepare to get turboshafted in the coming years.

If Glacier goes through, overnight there will be a cottage industry of people devising how to set up work routines that mean any labor action "destroys property".

I wonder if not accepting overtime or being sick can also be a source of monetary compensation if it causes a perishable good to spoil?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Quitting is stealing from your boss

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A bunch of articles popped up this year about quiet quitting, as if not giving a poo poo about your job is some revolutionary concept. Introducing, the quiet felony.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MrMojok posted:

What is the SC clownshow doing about the leak? I heard a month ago they were going to release a report, and nothing since then.

Is it their intention to just slow-walk it to avoid having to reveal that the leak was a conservative justice or clerk, and just hope that everyone forgets about it eventually?
I would imagine that some Chud was the leaker and when they found that out they suddenly lost interest

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Introducing, the quiet felony.

Plz don't leak Justice Alito's upcoming opinion, it's an affront to the deliberative process

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MrMojok posted:

They're quietly investigating it, but the Supreme Court isn't really an investigative agency in the first place, and the whole institution is kind of built on putting a ton of trust in clerks and other staff, so it's not super shocking that it's taking a while. I always thought an internal investigation was gonna be dicey for exactly those reasons, but I'm sure the justices don't want to call in executive agencies to dig through their business. There isn't really much precedent for something like this.

Gorsuch said last month that he thought it would be solved soon, but Kagan said around the same time that none of the justices except Roberts actually know what's going on with the investigation.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

They're quietly investigating it, but the Supreme Court isn't really an investigative agency in the first place, and the whole institution is kind of built on putting a ton of trust in clerks and other staff, so it's not super shocking that it's taking a while. I always thought an internal investigation was gonna be dicey for exactly those reasons, but I'm sure the justices don't want to call in executive agencies to dig through their business. There isn't really much precedent for something like this.

Gorsuch said last month that he thought it would be solved soon, but Kagan said around the same time that none of the justices except Roberts actually know what's going on with the investigation.

I’m going to be shocked if the entire matter isn’t dropped because it was one of the justices themselves.

“The ship of state leaks from the top”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The last good theory I heard is that it was one of either Alito or Thomas to prevent anyone from changing their vote late in the game like what happened with Obamacare

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I figured it was a test balloon to see if "court packing" was in Biden's vocabulary.

Instead, the Democrats' entire response was a collective shrug and fund raising, so full steam ahead.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

A Wisconsin PAC has asked the SC to block Biden's Student Loan Forgiveness Program.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Standing is the classic punt. Hard to see them setting a precedent for "you have standing because your fungible tax dollars are being spent."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

There is not even the slightest chance in hell that the Supreme Court rules that a random group of concerned taxpayers have standing. This has already been tried many times before.