Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

https://twitter.com/Pulisicate/status/1581277600713887744?s=20&t=n29qnctpOZQ_5w88nPogOg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

3 Sunday games today that aren't on the telly, it's ridiculous!!!

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

games gone

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

3 Sunday games today that aren't on the telly, it's ridiculous!!!
thursday football is an abomination op

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

They also called them “Notts Forest” in the background, which they hate

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's ok as long as they also call Notts County "Notts Forest"

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/StokeyyG2/status/1582124194078216192?t=vGeVa-vsAXXTx-3Mwo-aZQ&s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Tommy Jordan is villas communications director

https://twitter.com/lovespud83/status/1582131730580123651?t=QmRVSpW0fkyHLB_HKHMrJw&s=19

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Hope that baby belongs to him. Also lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
quite right too

https://twitter.com/_GeorgeSmith99/status/1582364119839084544

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm sure the brutal £5k fine and stern talking to will really set them straight.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Make Ronaldo personally give the cheque to the boy whose phone he broke

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Just Chamber posted:

Make Ronaldo personally give the cheque to the boy whose phone he broke

There's been about 5 articles since that happened in the Echo and the mum is getting increasingly desperate. MY SONS HAD 6 WEEKS OFF SCHOOL AND STARTS CRYING IF HE EVEN LOOKS AT A PHONE

Like footballers shouldn't go around slapping kids but Ronald's beat more serious legal issues than this, he's not paying for your holiday

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

it was a mark of honour to ask Roy Keane for an autograph as a united fan and to be told to gently caress off

kids these days and so on and so on

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Running out of space for all these smiling glen johnsons

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Klopp's a twat but he made a perfectly reasonable comment in this situation.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
'man city have unlimited money and can do what they want'

Another aspiring person of colour brought down smdh

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
City and PSG do have unmatched spending power. PSG pulled the FFP heist to end all heists when they signed Neymar from Barcelona. No one in the Premier league can have a squad as deep as City.

I disagree with the Newcastle assertion, because they haven't exploded onto the market. Isak, Trippier, Botman, and Guimaraes are all signings that any top half Premier League club could have made with all the tv money. And, historically, Malaga fell to pieces under their Qatari owner.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
poor little jurgen only got to drop $£XXXX of good honest american dollars on darwin instead of haaland, the games rigged

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

poor little jurgen only got to drop $£XXXX of good honest american dollars on darwin instead of haaland, the games rigged

Can't believe of all clubs you're making me stan for loving Liverpool but can you really not see a difference between 1-2 marquee signings and being able to have 2 world class players in nearly every position plus a much higher wage budget?

City have pretty much unlimited spending power, this isn't really a fact up for dispute?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
plucky little manchester united only have the highest wage bill in the league paid by good honest american dollars and are just happy to be here in the europa league

etc.

etc.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Exactly.

e: ninpo

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Not every club can be owned by an Italian TV guy (not that one) and a bit of an American football team and also possibly the fizzy cow drink

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

plucky little manchester united only have the highest wage bill in the league paid by good honest american dollars and are just happy to be here in the europa league

etc.

etc.

lol wtf are you doing

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Eau de MacGowan posted:

etc.

etc.

do you think klopps comments were wrong or xenophobic, op

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Jurgen kkklopp says 'raus' to foreign owners

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
we all know the germans are not a xenophobic people

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

klopp has *never* signed a qatari or saudi arabian player...just saying. Food for thought. Think about it.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Eau de MacGowan posted:

🤡

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Wages are always more telling then transfer fees.

Manchester City - £355m
Chelsea - £343m
Manchester United - £323m
Liverpool - £314m
Arsenal - £244m
Tottenham Hotspur - £205m

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
There’s no way Halaand goes to City without the provenance of his dad. They just got lucky that the best striker in the world wants to play for them and they can afford it without blinking. Plenty of other megarich clubs would have splashed the cash if given the opportunity.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
City didn't even need Haaland, though. That's the clearest evidence of the riches they have. Haaland could have gone to any other team in the premier league and City would have still been favorites to win the league.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bea Nanner posted:

There’s no way Halaand goes to City without the provenance of his dad. They just got lucky that the best striker in the world wants to play for them and they can afford it without blinking. Plenty of other megarich clubs would have splashed the cash if given the opportunity.

By modern standards Haaland wasn't even that expensive because of his release clause, at least for a transfer fee (I don't know what insane wages he's on).

Vinestalk posted:

City didn't even need Haaland, though. That's the clearest evidence of the riches they have. Haaland could have gone to any other team in the premier league and City would have still been favorites to win the league.

This is the big thing imo. City have already won 4 of the last 5 league titles because even before Haaland they had the best squad in the league because they have infinite money and after ten years they finally figured out how to spend it well. Even without Haaland they had two world-class players in every position and it's very hard to compete with that without your own bottomless bank account.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

vyelkin posted:

By modern standards Haaland wasn't even that expensive because of his release clause, at least for a transfer fee (I don't know what insane wages he's on).

This is the big thing imo. City have already won 4 of the last 5 league titles because even before Haaland they had the best squad in the league because they have infinite money and after ten years they finally figured out how to spend it well. Even without Haaland they had two world-class players in every position and it's very hard to compete with that without your own bottomless bank account.

£400k/w reportedly. Which is a lot, but not as disproportionate to the league and Neymar and Messi's wages are to Ligue Un.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

tarbrush posted:

£400k/w reportedly. Which is a lot, but not as disproportionate to the league and Neymar and Messi's wages are to Ligue Un.

Especially when you consider they paid (£51.25m for the record) a fifth, or less, of what he actually would have been worth in the transfer market.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

tarbrush posted:

That's before bonuses, apparently he's got huge bonuses for quite achievable things like "scoring goals"

Shrapnig posted:

Especially when you consider they paid (£51.25m for the record) a fifth, or less, of what he actually would have been worth in the transfer market.

yeah it was that short contract/cheapass release clause when he signed for Dortmund that put United out of the race for him

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

That's before bonuses, apparently he's got huge bonuses for quite achievable things like "scoring goals"

yeah it was that short contract/cheapass release clause when he signed for Dortmund that put United out of the race for him

as a chelsea fan most of the strikers we sign wouldn’t achieve those bonuses

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Shrapnig posted:

There were also a ton of fees on that deal to both his agent and his dad (€40m). It is still a great deal for City, since he basically costs what Liverpool paid for Darwin with addons, but he is so much better it is not even worth comparing the two. Plus City will likely make back all the money they spent on him and his wages when he gets tired of walking the league and moves to Madrid.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

I know you need to take the Daily Mail with a big dose of salt, but Haaland is apparently earning 800k-900k GBP a week with the bonus structure in place.

https://www.si.com/soccer/manchestercity/news/report-erling-haalands-remarkable-salary-at-manchester-city-has-been-revealed

I know these transfer budget debates get tiresome for everybody (especially for those who are fans of smaller clubs), but to act like City's wage budget isn't superior to everyone else's and how that might be just as important, if not more important, than being able to pay the initial transfer fees is really annoying. We're not even getting into the kind of shenanigans unveiled by the Football Leaks either. Are we really acting like everyone's on the up-and-up here?

Newcastle will eventually get there. They're just late to the party and need to build up to it. They're facing a different rule framework than what was in place when City's current ownership first came to the scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Vinestalk posted:

I disagree with the Newcastle assertion, because they haven't exploded onto the market. Isak, Trippier, Botman, and Guimaraes are all signings that any top half Premier League club could have made with all the tv money.

Haven't they outspent every club in the world in 2022 or something? It was mentioned on Football Weekly recently.