Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SoozUK/status/1582653405431877632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

learnincurve posted:

Driving licences are no longer a valid form of ID when it's to do with government agencies or anything employment related,

and yes I am fully aware of how batshit that sounds.

It's because of brexit and every employer having to prove that each new employee has the right to work (although with anything government funded like the NHS they are having to go back and check all employees). People from the EU can get a driving licence but they may not have the right to work or universal credit, so they blanket made driving licences invalid as ID.

This same logic is going to apply to voting if they bring in ID for that.

Why would it apply to voting ID? They wouldn't be on the electoral roll.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Kin posted:

Being in Scotland, general TV not representing things like they are up here (i.e. Not London) is something I got used to, but it's been occurring to me more and more that regular TV, not just the news, is doing the same thing across most of the UK.

TV dramas and soaps all seem to be full of characters with affluent lifestyles; "reality" TV shows full of the types of people likely to have woodburning stoves heating their house.

Destitution seems purposefully hidden from UK TV shows to the point where everything seems like escapist fantasy.

I know it's not new or anything but it just riles me up a bit that you've got the likes of bake off, the nations darling TV show, flaunting about making cakes just so a fat prick and walking corpse can have a wee chuckle at how someone's cake isn't moist enough.

Meanwhile, there's a lot of families out there who are going to struggle to afford formula for their new babies.

I bet we'll never see Noel Fielding lead a bake off special of Stand Up To Poverty on channel 4.

you just have to write in your own unseen subplots like sally off corrie can afford to sit in the pub all day b/c she deals cocaine to teenagers at the train station as well as working in the knicker factory part-time

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Why would it apply to voting ID? They wouldn't be on the electoral roll.

Because voter ID is almost never about electoral integrity, it's about adding another hurdle that can disenfranchise people less likely to vote fash.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

She looks absolutely hosed this morning. PMQs is going to be fun

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

in, uh, what capacity?

I worked for the House of Commons service late 90s early 2000s (it’s not the civil service but has the same structure and rules) and Truss was one of the young Tory lobbyists, excuse me should you be in here, people.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

crispix posted:

you just have to write in your own unseen subplots like sally off corrie can afford to sit in the pub all day b/c she deals cocaine to teenagers at the train station as well as working in the knicker factory part-time
I've never been able to watch Corrie because its too unrealistic.

Textile manufacturing in Manchester? In 2022? lmao

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
some people should respect their personal limitations

fuctifino posted:

She looks absolutely hosed this morning. PMQs is going to be fun

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lol just lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1582640528142770176?s=46&t=4OXhs-iZ32Li5tOUBCVunA

lol

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there an actual requirement for the PM to answer the PM Questions? Could Truss nominate Penny Mordaunt to answer all the questions, like she did for the Urgent PMQ a few days ago?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tigey posted:

I've never been able to watch Corrie because its too unrealistic.

I haven't been able to watch any soap opera after I discovered that the government and corporations have been using them to condition the public for decades.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1582662302553501696

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Crymetimeboys posted:

Is there an actual requirement for the PM to answer the PM Questions? Could Truss nominate Penny Mordaunt to answer all the questions, like she did for the Urgent PMQ a few days ago?

You can but unless you have a good reason (e.g. attending G7) it's seen as cowardace and a sign of political weakness.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Crymetimeboys posted:

No, sometimes their deputies step in and do it instead.

Oct 4, 2005

Oh great, now I'm furious

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

1965917 posted:

Oh great, now I'm furious

Evergreen https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-public-wrong-about-nearly-everything-survey-shows-8697821.html

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

You can but unless you have a good reason (e.g. attending G7) it's seen as cowardace and a sign of political weakness.
Those are the motifs of this administration though.

crispix posted:

some people should respect their personal limitations

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jesus Christ

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1582672374369226753

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1582671310207209473

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/whitehallsource/status/1582622809464836097

:allears:

Oct 4, 2005

The government and the media blow issues wildly out of proportion to distract the public from the real problems. Same as it ever was.

Its that nobody called her out that makes me upset. Shes just allowed to keep being an ignorant racist moron without being challenged.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Crymetimeboys posted:

It is literally Penny Mordaunt Questions, of course she can answer them all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's not really moving the goalposts as Truss currently has immunity to challenges. Brady is just telling Truss where things have to get to before he will change the rules to remove that immunity, and encouraging her to resign before that happens.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

It's not really moving the goalposts as Truss currently has immunity to challenges. Brady is just telling Truss where things have to get to before he will change the rules to remove that immunity, and encouraging her to resign before that happens.

True. On the other hand he could stop this farce from longing out.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maybe we will see fireworks after all

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1582677580859072512

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I imagine all local BBC would carry the same info?
& finally managed to get it on my android phone though it depends highly on the phone orientation!

I was wondering how many people have been forced onto Digital Voice by BT? Because that'll go off in a power outage if you have a router that plugs into outlet and live somewhere with no mobile signal. (Was considering this anyway because of our communal lift - we have an emergency phone in the lift and if they force us onto digital voice there is NO internet to connect it to so anyone stuck in the lift if the power goes out will be exactly that unless someone notices!)

I wouldn't plan on your mobile working if theres a power-cut. From an ofcom report from 2019 - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/186413/Connected-Nations-2019-UK-final.pdf

"Both EE and Three have 6 hours or more of back-up power at around 3% of their sites. EE has a further 4% of sites which can continue
operating for five days or more during a power cut. The vast majority have no back-up power"

"Vodafone and O2 use a shared network, with each providing around half the total sites used for UK coverage. Of the sites which Vodafone
provides, which broadly speaking cover the west of England and Wales, around half have four hours of back-up power. The remaining Vodafone
sites have between 1 and 2 hours. O2 protects its hub sites, which account for about 5% of its total sites, with 4 hours of back-up power. Most of
its remaining sites have no protection, with an unspecified number of larger coverage sites having 10 minutes.
"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If anyone's curious about that bag of passports that was left on my front door yesterday I've spoken to a few embassies and am going to cycle round London dropping them off at various places today.

Kind of ominously they're all passports for African women from various countries.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Why are they so obsessed with the earthquake machine, to the point that the deeply unpopular PM will turn it into a confidence vote? Didn't a fossil fuel exec say fracking in the uk was pointless.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I haven't been able to watch any soap opera after I discovered that the government and corporations have been using them to condition the public for decades.

I was forced to watch Crossroads as a child in the 70s, every soap since has been: :yikes: NOPE!!! ... apart from the tv series called Soap. :)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

If anyone's curious about that bag of passports that was left on my front door yesterday I've spoken to a few embassies and am going to cycle round London dropping them off at various places today.

Kind of ominously they're all passports for African women from various countries.

:whitewater:

Reaaalllly hoping it's not trafficking because that's what the alarm bells are ringing to the tune of in my head

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The only soap opera I would recommend is HBO's OZ.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sinky posted:

Why are they so obsessed with the earthquake machine, to the point that the deeply unpopular PM will turn it into a confidence vote? Didn't a fossil fuel exec say fracking in the uk was pointless.

As someone described to me she's basically using this to assert her authority because if she doesn't have it, better to find out sooner rather than later.

What is interesting is that because this is a three-line whip, no slips, means that Boris Johnson, who is reportedly in the Caribbean at the moment, will not be in the Conservative Party as of this evening.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sinky posted:

In this case, whether fracking is good or bad is mostly irrelevant. This is just Truss forcing her party to poo poo (collapse the government and call a general election) or get off the pot (fall back in line). See exactly where their breaking point is, and which way they will break.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

keep punching joe posted:

The only soap opera I would recommend is HBO's OZ.

:drat:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Necrothatcher posted:

Tesseraction posted:

:whitewater:

Reaaalllly hoping it's not trafficking because that's what the alarm bells are ringing to the tune of in my head

Yeah this kinda stinks of modern slavery? Did you contact the police?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The actual fracking may be irrelevant, but it's still worth remembering that the Tories were elected on a manifesto that explicitly pledged fracking would remain banned.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SO WHAT IF HE BROKE THE RULES WE ALL DID DIDN'T WE :byodame:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Yeah this kinda stinks of modern slavery? Did you contact the police?

Do I really want to send the police/home office out for women who may not be in the country legally?

The embassies said they'd take the passports and look into it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

peanut- posted:

The actual fracking may be irrelevant, but it's still worth remembering that the Tories were elected on a manifesto that explicitly pledged fracking would remain banned.

Which does make this a much more stringent and dramatic test of loyalty, yes.

Also, 'all slips withdrawn' means that you can't have someone else substitute for you if you're not present. This is particularly important because Boris Johnson is currently on holiday - if Truss manages to go ahead with this without her party defenestrating her in self-defence, she will have removed the whip from her most popular current leadership rival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol Keith isn't up yet but first question was "why ditch Kwarteng and you stay?" which led to her angrily shouting I HAVE SAID I WAS SORRY

aha her comes Llama strangler