Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the trick is that they're constantly spewing buzzwords in the hope of getting you to give them all your money but they also tend to genuinely believe some some real dumbassery on top of that. Hence why the entire field is scammers scamming scammers. Like a microcosm of late stage capitalism.

True, though still more that I doubt the most fervent proponents could actually give a description of what 'sound money' actually is. Doesn't help that they tend to believe certain social conventions and ideas are somehow immutable laws of nature.
Modern money is a process. Sound money is a thing. Things are easier to believe in than a process. Libertarianism as a whole could be described as only trusting things over processes which is what underpins the whole immutable laws of nature they chase: rarity of things used for money instead of a social process to agree on a temporary store of measure for trading; a personal and singular NAP instead of a society wide social contract.

This is why Bitcoin and NFTs are so important sounding to them. Trusting in things is a stone age level idea. Digitizing these things suddenly thrusts them back to the infotech era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

sorry kids I clicked a shady link and now our house is owned by some teens in russia

And we all have to change our profile pictures

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Between this, targeting ads to "enhance user experience", and the internet being flooded with lovely AI generated "art" I'm ready for the Butlerian Jihad (or landlordian jihad, that works too).

I'm moving to an area where all the apartments are owned by the companies in that article and rent is up literally 50% from the last year. Leasing agents would blithely explain how algorithms were screwing us over. We ended up renting a house from a private landlord, literally double the square footage for the same price. Still terrible though, I have no idea how anyone who isn't a six figgie DINK can afford to live there.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 19, 2022

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Your post describes almost every urban area in the US

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

King Carnivore posted:

Your post describes almost every urban area in the US

Not true if you're looking at shithole cities no one would want to live in!

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
New Orleans is a crime ridden shithole (#1 in the US, comparable to Latin American countries) that’s sinking into the gulf and has lost most of what made it special to gentrification and insurance companies are beginning to pull out of Louisiana all together with LA Citizens, the state insurer of last resort, approving a rate hike of 70% next year…

Rent and real estate are still through the loving roof.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

https://twitter.com/CryptoTots/status/1578321417585557505?s=20&t=zsdCvQd8ASsoQqJIueUptQ
So when the government finally lays the hammer down on calling all this poo poo a security they're going to use this as the prime example right

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Gutcruncher posted:

I hate it so much that everyone started using “metaverse” to mean “thing with internet” or “thing with VR” instead of just “that lovely Facebook version of VR chat nobody wants”

Neal Stephenson hates you.

e: And of course he's trying to monetize it.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 19, 2022

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

SettingSun posted:

https://twitter.com/CryptoTots/status/1578321417585557505?s=20&t=zsdCvQd8ASsoQqJIueUptQ
So when the government finally lays the hammer down on calling all this poo poo a security they're going to use this as the prime example right

"Name a reason why anyone would want blockchain"
"Well, for example you could now rent your house not from a single lovely landlord or from a corporation, but instead you could direct any tenant grievances to a distributed group of libertarian 17 year olds who collectively manage the property through a blockchain javascript they pretend is a business"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

King Carnivore posted:

New Orleans is a crime ridden shithole (#1 in the US, comparable to Latin American countries) that’s sinking into the gulf and has lost most of what made it special to gentrification and insurance companies are beginning to pull out of Louisiana all together with LA Citizens, the state insurer of last resort, approving a rate hike of 70% next year…

Rent and real estate are still through the loving roof.

New Orleans is also, despite some truly jaw dropping problems, still a cultural center that people want to live in, visit, etc.

Meanwhile google is telling me that Wichita, Kansas has the cheapest rents in the US. A city of 400,000 that has "the original Pizza Hut museum" listed as one of its points of interest, features a minor league hockey team, and which is located right next to a gently caress off huge Air Force base. It's OK, though, if the grand metropolis of Wichita isn't enough to sate your hunger for culture and entertainment it's only a two hour drive to Topeka or, if you're really feeling spicy, two and a half hours to Kansas City.

Don't get me wrong, if my late-30s self had to buy a house and my only choices were Wichita or New Orleans I'd go Wichita just because I wouldn't want my mortgage to be literally under water in 20 years, but if I was 25 and looking for a place to rent? New Orleans all the way.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Eikre posted:

Are those pursuits similar enough that the difference ends up being bridged by binning, or is it more that the products, while not being interchangable, simply share significant fabrication and engineering requirements?

Mostly the latter. In the early days, people simply used high-end graphics cards. And I think you still can. Products like the A100 are specifically designed for compute intensive tasks, and AI is one of those that does well on that architecture.
Their A100 cards use the same Ampere architecture as the RTX3000 graphics cards. but with a lot more of, well, everything. Consumer cards top out at 24GB of RAM and dual GPUs (the xx90 series).

NVIDIA posted:

A100 provides up to 20X higher performance over the prior generation and can be partitioned into seven GPU instances to dynamically adjust to shifting demands. The A100 80GB debuts the world’s fastest memory bandwidth at over 2 terabytes per second (TB/s) to run the largest models and datasets.
From here:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/data-center/a100/

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

twerking on the railroad posted:

I'd like to mint some new land in downtown San Francisco please

https://www.kqed.org/news/11799297/large-parts-of-the-bay-area-are-built-on-fill-why-and-where

Azathoth Prime fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 19, 2022

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

New Orleans is also, despite some truly jaw dropping problems, still a cultural center that people want to live in, visit, etc.

Meanwhile google is telling me that Wichita, Kansas has the cheapest rents in the US. A city of 400,000 that has "the original Pizza Hut museum" listed as one of its points of interest, features a minor league hockey team, and which is located right next to a gently caress off huge Air Force base. It's OK, though, if the grand metropolis of Wichita isn't enough to sate your hunger for culture and entertainment it's only a two hour drive to Topeka or, if you're really feeling spicy, two and a half hours to Kansas City.

Don't get me wrong, if my late-30s self had to buy a house and my only choices were Wichita or New Orleans I'd go Wichita just because I wouldn't want my mortgage to be literally under water in 20 years, but if I was 25 and looking for a place to rent? New Orleans all the way.

Consider Massena!

https://twitter.com/Votto007/status/1582389782185127936?s=20&t=ZZG50ZQ4e3UhdVwvEhTv4Q

Dude goes all "no homos" in the comments.

Azathoth Prime posted:

Mostly the latter. In the early days, people simply used high-end graphics cards. And I think you still can. Products like the A100 are specifically designed for compute intensive tasks, and AI is one of those that does well on that architecture.
Their A100 cards use the same Ampere architecture as the RTX3000 graphics cards. but with a lot more of, well, everything. Consumer cards top out at 24GB of RAM and dual GPUs (the xx90 series).

From here:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/data-center/a100/

Can you... can you still use them as graphics cards? :suspense:

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

The A100s? No, definitely not. They are not built to be graphics cards, they are built to be dedicated math engines. They also cost north of $10k.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Azathoth Prime posted:

The A100s? No, definitely not. They are not built to be graphics cards, they are built to be dedicated math engines. They also cost north of $10k.

Aw, too bad, sounds like something they could've put into the Large Pixel Collider.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

zedprime posted:

Things are easier to believe in than a process. Libertarianism as a whole could be described as only trusting things over processes
Ah, thr ol' riddle of steel gold.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Agents are GO! posted:

Consider Massena!

https://twitter.com/Votto007/status/1582389782185127936?s=20&t=ZZG50ZQ4e3UhdVwvEhTv4Q

Dude goes all "no homos" in the comments.

Listing its abundant waters and forests as economic bonuses like it's Age of Empires II. Yes, come 20-30 somethings and set up your own textile mills and lumber operations!

edit: oh dang ok the guy's a literal Nazi promoting TradCath Blut und Boden

Dynastocles fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 19, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Those A100s are fanless and require a constant airflow from being in a properly ventilated server, something coiners do not have much experience with, lol.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Azathoth Prime posted:

My neighbor is a research scientist in the biology department of a large local university and they have stacks of these things to do modeling. They do math really fast but don't come with video outputs.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/lftoyYt.mp4

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Dynastocles posted:

Listing its abundant waters and forests as economic bonuses like it's Age of Empires II. Yes, come 20-30 somethings and set up your own textile mills and lumber operations!

edit: oh dang ok the guy's a literal Nazi promoting TradCath Blut und Boden

What was it? I missed the thread before OP went private

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It was some pretty cool pics and descriptions of one of those dying American towns, but further down the thread it was the OP talking about how in this town, guys are guys and girls are girls and this place is like how middle America is, conservative and catholic, and hurry up before the libs move here and ruin it all.

nothing really extravagant, just imagine your boomer uncle telling you why he likes living in X town because it doesn’t have PEOPLE/THING but because you’re family he doesn’t really bother masking it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And how he's living the American dream by buying a dilapidated shack with a $400 mortgage because there are plenty of $20/hr jobs in his dying, freezing town

Also weird stuff about Jews because of course

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What is it about you the dumb bird site that makes people so confident in showing their worst possible takes and then suddenly go private when they get pushback they somehow didn’t expect

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
they never expect how quickly their tweets can reach escape velocity via the Quote Tweet

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

It's a bit optimistic

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Which is funny as a native Wichitan, because our housing market, cheap as it may be is also in a hilarious bubble.

https://amp.kansas.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article267424922.html

quote:

That’s because the stunning home appreciation numbers — a 17% increase in home prices in the first half of this year; 14.6% in 2021; and 7.7% in 2020 — make some think “that must mean we’re in a bubble situation, and that’s just not the case.”

"Housing prices have increased by 40% in the last three years but it's not a bubble we pinky swear."

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 20, 2022

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Like it might not be nearly as bad in Wichita as in New Orleans, but I think you’d be hard pressed to find an urban center where rents and real estate are in decline, or even not experiencing an obscene increase in prices that’s out of all proportion with the actual desirability of the place.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Oh hey look, another gryfto use case scenario!

https://twitter.com/niktwick/status/1582815503093239813?t=zmYwDUuIAN9d8pD6xzbl3w&s=19

As I'm sure it's a shocker: Russian oligarch money laundering

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I saw a tweet thread that I cannot currently locate about an article asking why people weren't moving to all these places where the rents were super cheap, and it pointed out that the article missed the incredibly obvious answer of "they're theocratic shitholes with nowhere to go and nothing to do."

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MechaCrash posted:

I saw a tweet thread that I cannot currently locate about an article asking why people weren't moving to all these places where the rents were super cheap, and it pointed out that the article missed the incredibly obvious answer of "they're theocratic shitholes with nowhere to go and nothing to do."
I sit inside and post all day, but I appreciate the many conveniences of living in a place where I can access things like movie theaters, a range of foodstuffs, something other than the chilling desolate silence, etc. That said I do not apparently partake in the approved Real American pastimes of sullen resentment, alcoholism, and fentanyl.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

MechaCrash posted:

The only people left in those towns resent anyone who wasn’t born into and forced by circumstance or ignorance to stay there too and will never truly accept them as neighbors.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Scratch Monkey posted:

The only people left in those towns resent anyone who wasn’t born into and forced by circumstance or ignorance to stay there too and will never truly accept them as neighbors.

They will find a reason to hate their 'legitimate' neighbors too. They mow their yard at the wrong time, they are disrespectful, they worship the wrong football team, ect.

They reserve their scorn for literally anyone. Up to and including their children.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Still laughing at Do Kwon telling everyone to just chill and “go on a run” when the Luna price was crashing, while he was furiously running to the nearest airport

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DeathSandwich posted:

They will find a reason to hate their 'legitimate' neighbors too. They mow their yard at the wrong time, they are disrespectful, they worship the wrong football team, ect.

They reserve their scorn for literally anyone. Up to and including their children.

Eh, its' a different kind of thing than what you see directed at outsiders. I've lived in those kinds of communities, both as an adult and a child. Literally my first experience of school in one such town was a kit sauntering up to me and saying with all the disdain that a 4th grader can manage "You ain't from around here, are you?"

Small town bullshit can be loving brutal, and doubly so if you're any kind of outsider, but being literally from outside the town is the surest way to start poo poo off on the worst possible foot.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/ellievhall/status/1583087261096501249

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The account starts off with tweets about about how wonderful and idyllic small-town American culture is, how simple and rustic and rugged and strong it is, how America shouldn't demonize rural blue collar people because of their politics -- sure, ok, fine. Then he goes on to praise "old America" for how it's lasted intact for generations despite pressure from "rootless urbanites" to become woke and progressive. "Beef is on the menu, and we don't teach our kids to be trans." When someone chimes in to say "yeah but rural America is filled with ignorant Christian fascists" he replies "Yep, and that's how we like it :smug: ".

Later on he explicitly clarifies that "we should all respect each other" means we should all live in segregated ethnic enclaves, and that Israel taught him the value of giving every race its own country, and that Upstate New York is and should always be exclusively reserved for white Euro-Americans to live in.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So they're bringing back dvds with an extras disk just in digital form. I'm struggling to figure out the NFT part of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Lol. Big lol. HUGE lol