Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
I recently watched Hud and although it's quite different to them, it reminded me of The Night of the Hunter, Days of Heaven, The Straight Story, In the Heat of the Night and even Matewan in the sense that I felt I was getting some insight into rural life in the United States. I felt in these movies there was a richness in the detail--whether it be the vernacular language, the settings or the kinds of story they tell. This is in contrast to something like Gone with the Wind where rural life felt like more of a sterile backdrop than a real driving part of the story. If anyone is able to make sense of this incoherent line of thought, I wonder if you can think of any other movies that might be similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

oceanside posted:

I recently watched Hud and although it's quite different to them, it reminded me of The Night of the Hunter, Days of Heaven, The Straight Story, In the Heat of the Night and even Matewan in the sense that I felt I was getting some insight into rural life in the United States. I felt in these movies there was a richness in the detail--whether it be the vernacular language, the settings or the kinds of story they tell. This is in contrast to something like Gone with the Wind where rural life felt like more of a sterile backdrop than a real driving part of the story. If anyone is able to make sense of this incoherent line of thought, I wonder if you can think of any other movies that might be similar?

I'm reasonably confident that The Last Picture Show, McCabe and Mrs Miller, Paris Texas, and Winter's Bone match the criteria and general vibe. Maybe American Honey and any of Jeff Nichols' films too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's a documentary but American Movie is a great example of this.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

oceanside posted:

Gummo

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

oceanside posted:

The Reflecting Skin for sure. I also really love Vinterberg's Far From the Madding Crowd, and would imagine the Schlesinger version is too

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

oceanside posted:

Wise Blood and Lucky (2017)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

oceanside posted:

If anyone is able to make sense of this incoherent line of thought, I wonder if you can think of any other movies that might be similar?

The New Land (1972) and Dersu Uzala (1975). Dersu Uzala isn't in the US but it could be in a remote and desolate area.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Looking for a movie similar to Punch Drunk Love. Awkward courtship between outsiders. Ending in either success or failure, it'd be interesting to see both.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for a movie similar to Punch Drunk Love. Awkward courtship between outsiders. Ending in either success or failure, it'd be interesting to see both.

Betty Blue (1986) has that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Zogo posted:

Betty Blue (1986) has that.

Ive never seen Punch Drunk Love but seconding this rec just bc its an absolutely amazing movie

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Harold and Maude?
Ali & Ava
Others are on the tip of my tongue…

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Honestly both Phantom Thread and Licorice Pizza would probably qualify

Edit: and The Master too, hah

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

morestuff posted:

Honestly both Phantom Thread and Licorice Pizza would probably qualify

Edit: and The Master too, hah

Oh man, why didn't I think of those?!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for stuff like the Station Agent and Bagdad Cafe. Unlikely friendships between outsiders, preferably quite low stakes and quiet.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for stuff like the Station Agent and Bagdad Cafe. Unlikely friendships between outsiders, preferably quite low stakes and quiet.

The Visitor.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Chas McGill posted:

My Dinner With Andre. Not sure if outsider-y enough.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

WongKarWai.txt

Start with In the Mood for Love or Chungking Express

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

oceanside posted:

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm gonna recommend First Cow for both of these prompts.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ynohtna posted:

I'm gonna recommend First Cow for both of these prompts.

Ooh, great call. I’ll add God’s Country for both too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Henry & June

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I think I will probably end up watching every recommendation on this page

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Chunking Express
Hannah and her Sisters
Lady Bird
But I'm A Cheerleader
The Lobster

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for movies about isolation. Not like movies about loneliness around people, but rather people who are literally isolated/not around other humans. Moon is a great example of what I'm looking for.

The movie doesn't have to only have one character/actor as long as the main purpose of the plot or a big chunk of it is having to deal with isolation.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Cast Away, to get the obvious out of the way
All is Lost
In My Room (Ulrich Köhler, 2018)

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

The Quiet Earth.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Silent Running (1972)
The Omega Man (1971)

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Kurosawa's Dersu Uzala (1975) might fit. Though, it's less of a story about being alone/survival and more of a 'shared brotherhood of all outdoorsmen' kind of thing. At least, that's what I got out of it. Splendid natural cinematography, too.

Anyway, it's on MosFilm's Youtube channel, it's 1080p, but at least it is free! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFaL03SKEzE

Roumba fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 3, 2022

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about isolation. Not like movies about loneliness around people, but rather people who are literally isolated/not around other humans. Moon is a great example of what I'm looking for.

The movie doesn't have to only have one character/actor as long as the main purpose of the plot or a big chunk of it is having to deal with isolation.

Buried
127 Hours
The Martian
Gravity
Life of Pi
Her

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Into The Wild

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Kvlt! posted:

"A Ghost Story" might fit the bill.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Alone Across the Pacific
Never Cry Wolf
The Wall (2012)
Naked Island
Johnny Got His Gun

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Kvlt! posted:

The first half (or maybe first third, it's been awhile) of Oldboy

The last segment / montage of 2001, I guess

The Lighthouse (be warned that no matter how bleak a tone you're looking for, this is gonna out-bleak you by leaps and bounds)

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Arctic (2018) with Mads Mikkelsen is a good fit for this too. A man stranded in the Arctic after a plane crash and doing his best to survive with his hand-cranked distress beacon. I haven't seen it in a while but it's very much in the survival/minimal dialogue zone, I enjoyed it a lot.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Fantastic recs everyone, most of which I haven't seen but have been working my way through and really enjoying!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

Cast Away
Room

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Anyone have an recommendations for documentaries similar to Into Great Silence? Watched that one recently and I really like its minimal dialogue and focus on letting the sounds and pace of life at the monastery envelop the viewer, without really going into "talking head" type stuff. Subject matter can be secular or religious. Thanks for any recommendations!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Leviathan is great, but make sure it’s not the narrative feature that came out around the same time. Manakamana from the same folks too

morestuff fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 14, 2022

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Not a documentary, but I think Le Quattro Volte captures the spirit of what you're describing

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Looking for any good movies with a similar mood or tone to The Verdict. It's got a very particular kind of sadness to it. About lost opportunity, growing old and being weary from the weight of a harsh world, and doing one last good deed despite the odds stacked against you. It's a melancholy movie that is weirdly cozy. McCabe & Mrs. Miller is a bit in that vein, I think. Anything else?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Origami Dali posted:

Looking for any good movies with a similar mood or tone to The Verdict. It's got a very particular kind of sadness to it. About lost opportunity, growing old and being weary from the weight of a harsh world, and doing one last good deed despite the odds stacked against you. It's a melancholy movie that is weirdly cozy. McCabe & Mrs. Miller is a bit in that vein, I think. Anything else?

Children of Men, maybe? Obviously Se7en comes to mind. Wonder Boys, maybe.

Edit: Mangold's remake of 3:10 to Yuma would qualify. As would The Proposition.

Timby fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Unforgiven (and probably a half-dozen other late-period Clints) might qualify.