Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

And every American I've met has introduced themselves as 'American'. I still don't understand why that would make you think they don't identify as white also.

It’s like an American is more likely to say “I’m a white/caucasian American” where an English person would think of the White bit as redundant.

This is obviously not universal, and English people definitely do conceptualize whiteness as athing, it’s just a bit of a different pov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Gerblyn posted:

It’s like an American is more likely to say “I’m a white/caucasian American” where an English person would think of the White bit as redundant.

This is obviously not universal, and English people definitely do conceptualize whiteness as athing, it’s just a bit of a different pov.

Is that a thing? Weird

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Is that a thing? Weird

It makes it easier to recognise our true foes, the French (or the Polish or whatever EU country has upset the Daily Mail this week)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Gerblyn posted:

Race is viewed differently in Europe than the United States I'll give you that. But the claim that white people in Europe don't view themselves as white is nonsense. We just have a load of other prejudices battling for domination of who to hate.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mega Comrade posted:

Race is viewed differently in Europe than the United States I'll give you that. But the claim that white people in Europe don't view themselves as white is nonsense. We just have a load of other prejudices battling for domination of who to hate.

Insult a Spaniard by suggesting they have a drop of Moorish blood.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

I never said they did, I just said the focus was in a slightly different place :shrug:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for painting my car pink.

quote:

I (f16) live with my dad and step mom. I have two older step Brothers 17/19 and a younger half sister. My mom isn't in my life. But her parents are.

My grandparents love me very much and have always helped me out. My stepmother however seems to think that anything I get from them is for the household.

I got a PS4 for Christmas one year and it stays in the living room so everyone can play on it.

I get a laptop for school and I have to let other people use it for their classes.

I started getting sick of this so I asked my grandma to please just keepy gifts at their house for when I visit. They are happy to keep my stuff in my mom's old room and I like having a place where I can have peace and quiet.

When I turned 16 my grandparents gave me my grandmother's old car. She can't drive any more and it is a good reliable car. Literally driven by an old lady to get groceries and go to church LoL.

When my stepmom heard about it she immediately started saying I had to share with my step brothers because they also needed a car.

I talked to my grandfather about it and he told me what we were going to do. He called my two uncles and they helped us paint the car pink. Bright pink. I love it. It is easy to spot in a parking lot and I don't think anyone will ever steal it.

It is still registered to my grandmother but I am in the insurance. I use it to go to work and run errands. I have no problem driving my step brothers and little sister around to help out.

The boys however complained to their mom that they were embarrassed to be seen driving my car. They want to paint it black. I said no I like the color. My grandparents told my dad that if my car went missing they would report it stolen.

Now my SBs are complaining that I did it on purpose so they would not use it. Well yeah that was the point.

But they call me an entitled little princess because my grandparents help me and not them. My dad says I should give in and paint it black or something else boring so the boys can use it too.

I don't want to share.

AITA?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i got a giant hot pink sticker that said "BAD GIRLS" on the front of my car and my dad loved borrowing it

OP should get a bad girls sticker

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

They see a pink car and they want to paint it black.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Mx. posted:

i got a giant hot pink sticker that said "BAD GIRLS" on the front of my car and my dad loved borrowing it

OP should get a bad girls sticker

:yeah:

AITA for telling my friend he shouldn’t buy anything or go on his bach trip

quote:

Hello all, I (25m) am in my friends wedding (26m). Unfortunately my friends dog has been diagnosed with cancer and they are doing everything possible to save it.
Just the other day my friends sister created a go fund me for my friends dog to help raise funds for the radiation treatment. Since then they’ve raised $3k of the $10k they were asking for. During that time I reached out and asked if he wanted to change his bachelor plans to somewhere local, instead of flying across country to the west coast, to save some money. He said he would let me know. Last night he texted and was asking about a few of my appliances and said he was going to buy a fridge and dishwasher which I was shocked to hear since they are reposting this go fund me to help raise money (his current fridge still runs but is old and the dishwasher hasn’t worked since he bought the house over a year ago). I also asked if he has thought anymore about changing the bach plans and he said he is still fine with flying out to west coast.

AITA if I tell him it’s not a good look to be asking for money for your dog then going out and buying appliances and a plane ticket? Any other suggestions ?

Motherfucker loves Bach!

I don't think the op would be an rear end in a top hat but they also probably need to be prepared for a "gently caress off", as he doesn't know their finances etc

Personally unless my appliances were flat not working (you need a fridge) I would probably put them off for vet bills.

Hot take: at the same time I also strongly believe animals should not be given chemo because it's lovely poison and they can't consent. I would rather put my dog down and spare them the pain than put them through chemo for an outcome that is likely more pain and little chance of survival

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

massive spider posted:

Lol

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

massive spider posted:

Lol

YTA because now the song is stuck in my head

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Fragile masculinity is always a lol

AITA for painting over our pink house

quote:

My wife (24F) and I (27M) have been married for 2 years. After our wedding we moved into my grandparents’ old house, which I bought from my grandma.

It is a small old fashioned house with pastel pink clapboard siding. Similar to this https://www.younghouselove.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Beach-House-Exterior-Color-Pink.jpg

The house was originally white but after my grandpa died my grandma decided to do something she’s always wanted and hired someone to paint the house pink.

My wife had always LOVED the colour of the house, even before I bought it. She always thought it was so cute and said it made our house stand out (which was true). I never felt comfortable going home to a pink house. Our house already stands out on our steet because it looks relatively old and small compared to the shiny new builds.

I had always wanted to change the colour, back to the original white or maybe a nice dark shade of blue, but she always vetoed the decision. And every time I brought it up she would fight me on it.

Recently I noticed that the paint has been chipping and peeling after the heavy winter. I knew my wife would fight me on the colour as she always did, so I waited until she went to visit her parents on Monday to start painting.

I hired someone to help and we painted the house a nice modern shade of dark blue-ish grey.

My wife came back yesterday night and was shocked to see the house repainted. She asked me why I didn’t consult her. I told her I knew she would fight me on it. She said that I went behind her back and that I tricked her.

I said it was ridiculous to expect us to live in a pink house, sure it was cute when my grandma lived here by herself but not when we live here as a couple. Besides, we have been trying to conceive and if we have a son I will not subject him to being made fun of for living in a pink house.

I think she is massively overreacting, and I believe I did us a favour by repainting the house a normal colour. AITA?

TL;DR: House was pink. I always hated it. Wife loved it. I repainted it without her permission and now she is upset.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Sorry about the house, son. You must catch all sort of hell about it."
"Nobody cares but you."
"They must really give you the business."
"Lots of people make fun of my toxic dad."
"Kids can be cruel."

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Pro strats, gentlemen: accept the pink. Embrace it. My girlfriend genuinely *loves* that I have a hot pink case for my Kindle; I'd have one for my phone too if I could find one for this model. Leave the house every day looking like you've been sprayed down with Pepto-Bismol.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've got a pink pop-up holder on my phone like a camgirl

It's netted me many compliments.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lmao a dark blue house

might as well install bathroom.wad while you're at it

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my brother I can't babysit my niece, because me and my boyfriend planned a date night?

quote:

(Throwaway)

The place I (28f) worked at downsized and I lost my job earlier this year. I found another but it pays significantly less. Me and my boyfriend 'Rob' (38M) recently moved out as the rent was too high, and we've been looking for a more affordable place. My brother 'Jack' (36m) let us stay at his place while we sort everything out and we're grateful to him.

Jack's profession means his work hours are all over the place. My niece 'Lacey' (3F) usually stays with a sitter or with her maternal grandparents while Jack's at work. Since I've been staying here I've also looked after her a couple of times when I don't have other plans.

A couple of days ago Jack got called in unexpectedly and he asked if we could look after Lacey. The issue was that me and Rob were planning to go out for dinner and a movie later. I said sorry, but we couldn't. Jack got extremely pushy and said to take Lacey with us and he'll pay, but obviously me and Rob weren't onboard with this as it's supposed to be a date night, on top of the movie not being suitable for kids. He also told us to reschedule, but we did end up going.

Side note, it wasn't an emergency. Jack was able to call in and say he couldn't make it, but he's been really pissed at me and apparently his seniors aren't too happy with him. Again, we did apologize, and Rob later said Jack should've planned better.

He's still pretty mad at us, so AITA?

quote:

I clean up around the house when I can (when I'm not at work etc), and have also made dinner for all of us

Also wanted to add that Jack is very well off. He earns well and owns his home. I'm not saying that this means his work doesn't matter or something, it definitely does, just providing some more info

quote:

I wouldn't have had a problem if we didn't have plans, I've looked after Lacey other times. I know he's done a very kind thing for us but at that moment on such short notice, I was feeling conflicted.

I do agree Rob shouldn't have said the thing about planning but we were both tired of Jack acting so pissed around us, and we apologized. (also Jack's had serious issues in the past with our parents and I'm one of the few immediate family members that still support and keep in touch with him, so he also has something to be grateful for)

quote:

It's nothing like that. I'll explain it a bit, Jack had a ons with Lacey's mom, and she passed from pregnancy complications. Our parents, especially dad told him to cut contact with Lacey's mom, but he didn't and this caused a massive blow up. They pretty much shunned him after that. Our parents reached out to him a couple of years ago to apologize, but he ignores them and wants nothing to do with them. We have 4 other siblings and 3 of them no longer interact with Jack either.

Update: AITA for telling my brother I can't babysit my niece, because me and my boyfriend planned a date night?

quote:

It's pretty late but quite a bit has happened so I thought I'd update.

To answer some common questions I noticed 1. yes Rob works, he's not unemployed 2. people asking what type of job Jack has that has such odd hours, he's a surgeon 3. we've been here for 3 weeks

Long story short, after Jack got home we all had a serious discussion. I'd already talked to mom about the situation and she told us to move to hers, so me and Rob will be moving out of Jack's place tomorrow.

Jack basically told us we need to leave, and I said that it's already been sorted. Again we thanked him for letting us stay, he made some snarky comments about how we 'shouldn't be going out anywhere' to save for rent (not for this situation specifically, we're going on a family holiday in December so I think he was jabbing at that. This doesn't make much sense to me as he and Lacey are going on an expensive European holiday for the New Years, but okay). I had enough, I eventually just replied that I hope he never has to go through any type of struggle.

He actually even got Lacey involved against us. Apparently she saw him crying last night and this little 3 year old came up to us, saying that we made her daddy sad (something along those lines).

But yeah, that's about it, and we'll be moving out.

Edit: he got called in to work that day as a standby surgeon or something like that. He wasn't the lead surgeon, so he was able to say he couldn't make it and they called someone else.

And also, as I mentioned, me and Rob both did apologize to him, and Rob also did for saying the thing about planning, which I also agree he shouldn't have said.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my brother I can't babysit my niece, because me and my boyfriend planned a date night?

Update: AITA for telling my brother I can't babysit my niece, because me and my boyfriend planned a date night?

lol another one where they wait for the update to go "oh, well, he's a surgeon, does that make a difference?"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

It’s like an American is more likely to say “I’m a white/caucasian American”

Who the gently caress has ever identified themselves this way other than Nazis and KKK members?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for leaving my ring on the counter?

quote:

Me (22) and my fiancé (31) were showering and I took the ring off so that it wouldn’t fall and get in the drain. I got out and forgot to put it back on for a couple hours while I worked at my computer then put it back on. The engagement was fairly recent so I have not gotten used to rings just yet. But he made a big deal out of the fact that I had it off because it’s a symbol of our love and I apologized and said I would not do it again.

Normally I would not even really trip but then we went on our pre-honeymoon and he lost his ring in the ocean while we were swimming and proceeded to have me buy some goggles to search for it and never bought a replacement (we got $12 and $14 rings off Amazon) It just seems like a double standard.

Also, the "pre-honeymoon" was a cruise OP paid for as a birthday gift :thunk:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Motronic posted:

Who the gently caress has ever identified themselves this way other than Nazis and KKK members?

In Europe this is normal

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

QuarkJets posted:

she's going to be dealing with more tantrums in grocery retail than she ever did in daycare lol

All for half her prior pay & with the empty "management promotion" bullshit so they can sucker her in & pay her minimum wage (or less) while piling on responsibilities later. Who could pass THAT up? :laffo:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
British people are definitely racist, without a doubt.

However.

They also have competing anxieties about class and nationalism, which can interact and override their other bigotries in unexpected ways.

A white racist Englishman for example may feel more positively towards a black English man from a higher social class (say a professional athlete or politician), than towards say a white Polish or Irishman. He doesn't like any of these people of course, but sometimes classism trumps all other phobias.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

“I eventually just replied that I hope he never has to go through any type of struggle.”

Struggle like your one night stand getting pregnant and then dying, and your parents disowning you, perhaps.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

All for half her prior pay & with the empty "management promotion" bullshit so they can sucker her in & pay her minimum wage (or less) while piling on responsibilities later. Who could pass THAT up? :laffo:

I can understand that completely bleak feeling of knowing that you hate your job but anything else won't pay as well as the thing you hate, that's kind of a lovely position to be in. I've been a barista and a janitor before what I do now and if either of those paid as well as my current job, I would 1000% not be doing my current job. That said, yeah, the "manager" thing is kinda suspect.

Speaking of jobs:

AITA for reiterating the idea of my GF and I switching positions at our job

quote:

For context, I am dating my boss. Lately she has been extremely overwhelmed and stressed between her work life and her home life. She has been in this job for almost 10 years now and is burnt out on the work. Previously she mentioned stepping down and that maybe I would be good candidate for taking over her position. Today we were talking more and she mentioned how she's looking for new jobs. I was throwing out ideas for jobs and even mentioned her stepping down and me stepping up. She got very offended at this and said it left a bad taste in her mouth and that she isnt sure if she can trust me after saying that. I didnt say its the only option. It was one idea out of many ideas that I was listing off. And I feel like its unfair considering it is something she even said previously as well. It wasnt my idea to begin with. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

r/relationships: For context, I am dating my boss

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AITA for not scolding my son when he was disgusted by my daughter's period?

quote:

My son and daughter (both in early teens) have a reasonably good relationship with each other (and me, I hope). A few days back, J had her period and accidentally stained her bedsheets. She was quite embarrassed.

Seeing the dirty sheets in the wash early (we normally change and wash all our sheets together), K was curious, and when I explained it to him, he said loudly (and in J's hearing) "oh my god, that's really disgusting". J hid in her room for the next few hours, and it was obvious at dinner she'd been crying.

I took some time to speak with each of my children alone. With J, I emphasised that periods were natural and, especially in early puberty, your flow can be pretty inconsistent. It was mostly just helping her come to the realisation that it wasn't "her fault".

With K, after some uncomfortable conversation, I was given to know that he believed that it was possible to "hold in" periods and therefore that she was really doing it for attention. I gently but firmly corrected his misapprehensions and explained how bad he made his sister feel for something that was totally out of her control. I felt overall that the message had been delivered and absorbed, because he was quite down for a while, and I suspect (but didn't verify) that he apologised to her later, because they seemed fine after.

When my wife got back (she was away for a few days), she was mad and felt that I should have been much harsher with K so that he would "learn the consequences of his actions", and forced him to apologise immediately.

My wife thinks that he should be punished regardless, because his actions directly hurt his sister, who is definitely an innocent party. On the other hand, I don't think yelling at anyone solves any problems, and I felt it wasn't fair to blame my son for the deficiencies of the sex education curriculum, since he acted out of ignorance and not a wilful lack of empathy.

AITA?

Don’t yell at your child and start screaming at yourself my loving god.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
AITA refusing to pay for my son's college tuition?

quote:

I (39M) had a one night stand in college, and the girl, who we'll call Jade, got pregnant. I agreed to pay child support, but that was all. This arrangement has worked for 18 years, and I never liked the idea of having kids anyway, so I don't really mind that my son, Marty (18M) and I have no contact.

Jade never got a boyfriend or anything after she had Marty, so she's been doing a pretty good job all by herself. We're still friends to this day, and I've only spoken to Marty a few times.

Marty, having recently graduated highschool, wants to get into college. His tuition is expensive though, and as a single parent, Jade can't afford it and won't fund his tuition because of that.

Marty got my number from Jade, and asked if I would help pay for his tuition. He made a point saying that I have a well paying job, he was my only son, and I'd never been there for him as a dad, so I should at least pay his tuition.

I refused, because first off, I've paid Jade child support and extra money on the side for his entire life. And second, I never wanted kids to begin with, child support was the condition I took to not have to directly care for one.

He said that it was selfish of me to pretend like I didn't have an obligation to him, and I told him I did have an obligation, which was to pay for him until he was an adult. He protested saying that I "never gave him anything". Which just isn't true, I made sure Jade had the money to care for him, and gave him gifts through Jade on occasion.

Jade and I have been content with this arrangement for years, and she does a great job being a parent, I funded a whole lot of my son's life, I basically paid for everything Jade couldn't, like extracurriculars and sometimes even bills and groceries if she was in a bad spot.

Jade agrees that Marty is being unreasonable in this demand, and she's thankful that I was there to support them both. She told Marty he had other options, and it would hurt my finances too (his tuition is tens of thousands of dollars, I get paid more than average, but not enough to afford that).

He's pissed at Jade for taking my side, saying I'm an unsupportive bum, and that I've done nothing for him in the long run. But that's just not true. AITA?

And of course the comments are filled with people calling the kid a lovely student for not having a million scholarships and is "acting entitled" for wanting help as an adult. The OP of course, has gone above and beyond the call of duty. gently caress Reddit for tolerating such low standards from men.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I have never asked where someone was from and they said "I am a white American". Wtf????

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for stopping inviting my sister over after she behaves like a child, because she doesn't like my boyfriend?

quote:

My BF (44) and I (34) have been together for almost 3 years now. The relationship is great and he is a really awesome guy. All of my friends love him. The only one person that has a problem with him is my sister. Nothing bad ever happened between them and she is not able to articulate what her problem is. My BF is unaware of any of this.

The first situation that upset me was when she made a scene when she found out that my BF will be joining us for a dinner with friends. I had some people visiting me in my city and booked a table in a restaurant. Initially for 4 as my BF didin't think he would be able to join us. In the end, he was free and I wanted to call the restaurant and change the reservation. At this moment she started to be quite dramatic and after stating that the dinner was supposed to be without him (and what??), she said that she won't be coming, because she doesn't want to cause the problem for the restaurant, as it is so difficult to put the 5th chair to the table LOL. So she said she will sacrifice herself. The joke about the 5th chair still circulates well among my friends.

Another stupid situation was her birthday. I asked, if I can come with him and she said yes. After that she started to make stupid comments about him coming, so I said that it is not obligatory to invite us. She said that he is uninvited. I replied that we won't be coming. She said something like "I didn't know that you go like a package now" after which lost my temper. Mind you that my BF and are quite independent and spent a lot of time without each other. I explained to her that she could just say from the start that she didn't want him to come, but inviting and uninviting him like this puts ME in quite uncomfortable situation. He never found out what exactly happened. I just told him I don't want to go to the party, because of her behaviour.

There were many more episodes like those. Fast forward till now. She made another comment about him not being allowed to her house. Not like I would bring him and expose him to her toxicity. But anyway, I decided I won't validate her chaldish behaviour (she is 46 by the way).

Among my friends I am known for hosting dinners and nice parties at my place. It is a pleasure for me to cook for my friends and to have people over. She found out that there will be a Halloween party. She is not invited. Now there is a drama, because she feels that she is being punished (and right so!). I told her that I didn't invite her to this party, because I have to protect her and cannot expose her to uncomfortable situation caused by my BF being present. Or existing.

Now she doesn't speak to me.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Kurieg posted:

AITA for stopping inviting my sister over after she behaves like a child, because she doesn't like my boyfriend?

Yes I am sure nothing has ever happened to cause such animosity. Is am sure OP has never asked either.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I have never asked where someone was from and they said "I am a white American". Wtf????

Many non-white people in the USA are asked where they're from and "Fresno" is not a satisfactory answer. There are complex relationships between national and racial identification in the USA.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I am a White American
Stifle the rights of other men
I am a White American
I'm the alt-right
Fight the non-whites

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

sugar free jazz posted:

Many non-white people in the USA are asked where they're from and "Fresno" is not a satisfactory answer. There are complex relationships between national and racial identification in the USA.

Still lmao at the assertion that Europe, the loving nexus point of Global Colonialism, think of themselves in terms of nationality first and race second. It's barely been 100 years since the British Empire broke up. Even if the brain worms could wash out that fast, and they don't, the impression left from occupation, territory redivision, resource allocation, governmental legacy, cultural byproducts created for and outside of the home territories, etc. are all still very much real-- often tangible!-- things.

And it is the most provincial cracker-rear end cracker poo poo to say otherwise.

Kurieg posted:

Sister's got some clear baggage she ain't sorting out, but the 5th chair joke makes OP sound like one of those douchebags who missed the emotional climax of Mean Girls when Lindsay Lohan's protagonist get told, point blank "You are a Mean Girl."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

therobit posted:

Yes I am sure nothing has ever happened to cause such animosity. Is am sure OP has never asked either.

"she is not able to articulate what her problem is." reads to me as "I have asked and she doesn't have an answer"

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

sugar free jazz posted:

That's a separate issue. It would actually make it more likely that someone wouldn't specify they were a white American if someone asked.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

That's a separate issue. It would actually make it more likely that someone wouldn't specify they were a white American if someone asked.

That's.... what they said

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol @ the euros and americans talking past each other wrt the concept of whiteness & racism itt

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I think the original point of contention is that champagne posting suggested that the concept of whiteness was peculiar to North America and South Africa. Which is frankly absurd.

champagne posting posted:

"White" as a race is a way of thinking exclusive to the US (possibly Canada) and South Africa. Europe is way too much into nation states for their majority populations to think of themselves as whites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I am a White American
Stifle the rights of other men
I am a White American
I'm the alt-right
Fight the non-whites

Since we've reached the irony poisoning white supremist fake(?) lyric posting point of the conversation can we drop it now? What's the joke here? What's funny about posting things that you'd see on stormfront?

code:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/vng43f/aita_for_throwing_the_trash_out/
u/ThatMustBeExhausting
4 months ago
AITA For throwing the trash out?

quote:

We had a big party that we cleaned the house for to include a loaded garage that you could barely walk through. Let's just say my wife likes to keep things longer than I do. I have offered many times to clean the garage but she always denies my request.

My daughters 18 and 20, both very responsible young adults took the task on with their mother's approval and knocked it out of the park. They set things aside for my wife to go through and nothing went to goodwill without the Wife's approval.

The garage is cleaned and looks great before the party. We did not get rid of all the trash before the party cuz of garbage pickup rules... yadda yadda yadda

The party goes off great and we have a lot of family stay with us for a week. So the party and the extra people created a lot of trash on top of the trash before the party even started or the people got here. We had a pile of trash in the driveway like A LOT.

Garbage pickup is twice a week so each pickup we put our normal trash out and as much as is allowed per pickup we chip away at the big pile.

So today is trash day. I am normally up before everyone and I see the bin is at the street but there are two last bags of trash still in the driveway up by the house. I am like "whoaaa we only have two bags left of trash. Mind you these last two bags were in the same place as the other probably 15 - 20 bags of trash that we have been chipping away at each garbage day. These are the big yard waste bags mind you.

Fast forward 12 hours later and my wife comes home, busts in the door and starts screaming at me "who threw those last two bags away" she is literally beside herself. Screaming not so nice things and just livid.

So, I guess she told me a story a couple of weeks ago that she found that the girls had thrown away a couple of things that were very important. Like ultrasound pics of our kids.

I know now that my wife wanted to go through those last two bags before they got thrown out.

My only response to her tirade of me not listening... blah blah blah I didn't hear the rest.

Was... "well if those bags were so important you should have put them in the garage, I had no idea you wanted to keep THOSE BAGS" plus in my defense it has been two weeks since she told me about the ultrasound pics.

So, she is absolutely unconsolable about trash getting thrown out that she isn't even sure had anything important in it.

So am I the assshole for throwing out two bags of trash that were where we had been staging trash for the past three weeks.

TL;DR

Threw trash out that may have had sentimental stuff in it.