Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah eating birds is pretty hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

bbcisdabomb posted:

Netflix, if you're in the correct region or have a VPN. I have everything set up to download to my Plex server, it wasn't hard at all.

For Canada, if you have your region set cbc.ca gets episodes as they air instead of a yearish afterwards like Netflix.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Netflix, if you're in the correct region or have a VPN. I have everything set up to download to my Plex server, it wasn't hard at all.

Wait, is downloading from Netflix to Plex a thing people do? What's the gain over just watching on Netflix

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

T.C. posted:

Wait, is downloading from Netflix to Plex a thing people do? What's the gain over just watching on Netflix

It lets you save shows you like, rather than hoping they'll be available in Netflix forever.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

T.C. posted:

You download shows that aren't available in your region. If I want to watch something on Canadian Netflix I could use a VPN with my Netflix subscription, but instead I download shows because I didn't want to figure out how to set up a VPN on my fire stick or have to teach my dad how to turn it off when he wants to watch something on US Netflix. I'm a computer toucher by trade so I also thought it would be more interesting to set up automatic downloading than just subscribing to SurfShark or something.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I haven't run the Mexican episode yet but there was already plenty of laughter from Americans on twitter about the "American style pizza" reference from the previous episode. Also, Paul Hollywood cannot pronounce baklava (even to the extent that the average UK/US person can) and makes everyone else say it the bizarre way he says it.

Funny thing was the season that they had a contestant who was French, which caused the hosts to suddenly try to pronounce it génoise instead of jen-oh-eez. (Once she was gone they reverted, so it was clearly for her benefit, or they were just embarrassed)

gegi fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 15, 2022

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Surely it can't be worse than Japan Week

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

AnonSpore posted:

We don't need to rank hate crimes.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I love GBBO but it is pretty funny watching these stodgy old Brits’ token attempts at diversity fall flat on their face.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

gegi posted:

Funny thing was the season that they had a contestant who was French, which caused the hosts to suddenly try to pronounce it génoise instead of jen-oh-eez. (Once she was gone they reverted, so it was clearly for her benefit, or they were just embarrassed)

Oh man, the way they insist on pronouncing “creme Bavarois” as “bav-wahrr” instead of “bah-vair-wah” drives me up the loving wall.

mystes
May 31, 2006

prayer group posted:

Oh man, the way they insist on pronouncing “creme Bavarois” as “bav-wahrr” instead of “bah-vair-wah” drives me up the loving wall.
or just call it "bavarian cream" so you don't have to worry about the pronunciation

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

I mean there's only one way for you to find out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Colonel Whitey posted:

I love GBBO but it is pretty funny watching these stodgy old Brits’ token attempts at diversity fall flat on their face.

How much of it can be pinned on Paul Hollywood? I don’t watch the show but he seems like a stupid rear end in a top hat

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I'm not a linguistics expert, but in my visits to the UK I've noticed that the English often go out of their way to pronounce French loan-words differently than the French do. Whether it's a conscious (or even real) thing or not, I don't know, but it amuses me to think that they're still fighting wars with words.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Tricky Ed posted:

I'm not a linguistics expert, but in my visits to the UK I've noticed that the English often go out of their way to pronounce French loan-words differently than the French do. Whether it's a conscious (or even real) thing or not, I don't know, but it amuses me to think that they're still fighting wars with words.

Fish fillet (fill-it)

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

How much of it can be pinned on Paul Hollywood? I don’t watch the show but he seems like a stupid rear end in a top hat

I have no idea how much input he personally has vs the producers of the show but I say if you want to blame him go right ahead, you’re probably right about him

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I realize I'm criticizing people who bake better than I ever could, but this year's GBBO batch would get absolutely smoked by the bakers from previous years.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
international weeks are funny as hell to me because they often seem to end up being themed around ingredients that paul in particular absolutely hates

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Trabant posted:

I realize I'm criticizing people who bake better than I ever could, but this year's GBBO batch would get absolutely smoked by the bakers from previous years.

I think it's still early days, there's not too many standouts yet but I think we've seen people really step up their game in the second half of the competition as they start to get used to the challenges. Maxi, Yanoush, and Sandro all seem to be capable of cool stuff.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think it's still early days, there's not too many standouts yet but I think we've seen people really step up their game in the second half of the competition as they start to get used to the challenges. Maxi, Yanoush, and Sandro all seem to be capable of cool stuff.

I think Maxy and Janusz are S-tier (for this season, at least) and Sandro is A-tier. Good, but not quite as capable as the other two. Everyone else is a rung below them at least.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
As weird and bad as this season of british baking show is it'll be S-tier as long as we get more clips of Januz's dog. Bring him to the finale party please.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Every previous season has had a few people that made me go “oh dang, they’re talented”. This season is just a bunch of likable, competent home bakers with Janusz making the occasional standout.

I’m really enjoying it, and I like everybody, but yeah, nothing has really blown me away yet as far as actual bakes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm finding the technical challenges (tacos aside) better this season than other recent seasons. There's still time for them to go off the rails but "make this thing you definitely know about with minimal instruction" is much more fun for me to watch than "make this thing you've definitely never seen or heard of before."

The lemon meringue pie one with the only instruction being "Make a lemon meringue pie" is great. It reminded me of an older finale technical where they just had to make mini Victoria sandwiches, mini tarts au citron, and mini scones with no instruction, I liked the concept of that one too.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
And honestly, a lemon meringue pie is lemon curd, meringue, and pie crust. These are all things our bakers should be able to knock up based on prior knowledge. To be honest, I wish they had given those basics though. “Make a pie crust, a lemon curd, and French meringue”and then tell them to use that for the pie. But aside from that, I felt like most of the bakers figured it out.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Harrow posted:

I'm finding the technical challenges (tacos aside) better this season than other recent seasons. There's still time for them to go off the rails but "make this thing you definitely know about with minimal instruction" is much more fun for me to watch than "make this thing you've definitely never seen or heard of before."

Agreed, the technical challenges often seem way too unfair and it gets annoying as hell when Paul and Pru are all "Well a proper gently caress-du-Horseé is four inches tall rather than the three inches you have here, so you get zero marks." Like, gently caress off, even you guys couldn't make a pastry you've never heard of without even an oven temperature.

At the very least they should show them a picture of the end result or something. Right now it feels like whoever's wild guess is correct wins, or the off-chance that someone actually has heard of the pastry in question, rather than actually testing their knowledge of baking fundamentals.

I remember in an earlier season the technical was something that a contestant had literally just made in that episode's signature challenge though, which was pretty funny.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

ninjahedgehog posted:

At the very least they should show them a picture of the end result or something. Right now it feels like whoever's wild guess is correct wins, or the off-chance that someone actually has heard of the pastry in question, rather than actually testing their knowledge of baking fundamentals.

I agree with this; it's one thing to use terminology regarding the substance of the bake ("make a meringue..." etc) but they seem to do a piss-poor job of describing the aesthetics of it verbally and it doesn't seem fair to judge the bakers on that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm also somewhat amused by what appears to be the Older Baker Technical Curse, though I can only think of two examples off the top of my head. It's when a technical challenge is something that one of the older bakers makes "every week" and then they gently caress it up in the technical. (The other example I can think of is Val's Bakewell tart in season 7 I think?)

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Probably nitpicking but I'm annoyed by "Dessert Week" because, well, they make desserts every single week since forever(okay maybe not Bread Week sometimes)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mob posted:

Probably nitpicking but I'm annoyed by "Dessert Week" because, well, they make desserts every single week since forever(okay maybe not Bread Week sometimes)

I totally agree but feel like I'm screaming into the wind whenever I express this.

I suppose it's preferable to them trying do an African Week or something and trotting out Paul in blackface in the opening stinger.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Also, what the gently caress is a pudding? After watching like a dozen pudding weeks between all the seasons, pudding seems to be a really fuckin generic term.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
‘Pudding’ can be interchangeable with ‘dessert’ in English, but can also be a specific kind of spongey dessert, usually with a sauce of some kind like sticky toffee pudding, spotted dick, or Christmas pudding (plum duff). These types of puddings may also be served with cream, ice cream, or custard.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Chef John said it best: in the UK, everything's a pudding. Except pudding -- that's called custard.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

This is the essence of pudding

https://youtu.be/Z8mt9Ogzi_Y

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I'm absolutely tickled whenever someone from the UK calls it "pud"

edit: this is mainly what I think of when I hear pudding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbHkt3EatR8&t=94s

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 19, 2022

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'm absolutely tickled whenever someone from the UK calls it "pud"

edit: this is mainly what I think of when I hear pudding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbHkt3EatR8&t=94s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8mt9Ogzi_Y

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I have heard the legends of the confection known as a smores. Mmmmm yes, that is a very good smores.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Soha has a TV show with Dan Levy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BqyG3iiqeE

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Buttchocks posted:

I have heard the legends of the confection known as a smores. Mmmmm yes, that is a very good smores.

What an insane challenge.

And Halloween Week with nothing pumpkin-related? Like, what are we doing here GBBO?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

‘Pudding’ can be interchangeable with ‘dessert’ in English, but can also be a specific kind of spongey dessert, usually with a sauce of some kind like sticky toffee pudding, spotted dick, or Christmas pudding (plum duff). These types of puddings may also be served with cream, ice cream, or custard.

Don't forget Yorkshire pudding :sun: (and don't put custard on it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

For the first minute figured it was a Chef's Table deal where they'd be highlighting how the chef's are helping their hoods and focusing on the local cuisin– nope nope, cooking competition. A teeny bit disappointed by that.

Good on them both tho for that gig. Hard to beat getting paid to come in and have ten really good dishes.