Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Janosz: "No photography, please! Slides are awailable in the gift shop.... AAuuUUuUggghhh!"

That yell that Peter Mcnicol lets out when Winston grabs him always gets me. So perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Agreed. He also does some great physical comedy when he falls down the ladder while working on Viggo. He wiggles on the floor with magic lighting shooting up his arm and totally sells it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

deoju posted:

Agreed. He also does some great physical comedy when he falls down the ladder while working on Viggo. He wiggles on the floor with magic lighting shooting up his arm and totally sells it.

"Eeeeeee I'm stinging... WAAA-ooooh!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:hai:

MacNicol was a real get for GB2, and the film would be a lot worse without him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

He's so good.

My next exposure to him was Ally Mcbeal and I couldn't believe how normal he actually was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

The GB franchise has been blessed by people who just unrepentantly lean into their weird quirky characters.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kevyn posted:

It’s weird how no matter how many times you watch the real version, it still always feels “off” compared to the recorded-off-tv copy you watched 300 times as a kid. I’m like that with Stand By Me, my favorite film of all time. I still expect the line to be “Chopper, sic kid!” instead of “Chopper, sic balls!” and for there to be a commercial break right after Teddy cries about his father.

I'm like this with RoboCop, "Once...I even called him, airhead. But there was always respect."

Because of how effectively that was dubbed on tv young me for a little bit even thought "airdhead" was a very grave insult on par with other profanity.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm like this with RoboCop, "Once...I even called him, airhead. But there was always respect."

Because of how effectively that was dubbed on tv young me for a little bit even thought "airdhead" was a very grave insult on par with other profanity.

For me it's "Now that wasn't such a chore now, was it?"

Shot of Egon's look immediately fades out to an Irish pan flute commercial.

Right after Peck gets marshmallow dumped on him and is screaming at the sky, I always expect "Tonight, on 'In the Heat of the Night'..."

I asked my parents if they had our old GB VHS copy, because I'd LOVE to at least rip those old commercials and put them on youtube, but sadly, it's gone.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Seeing the farce the Hasbro Aliens Pulse Rifle pre-orders have degenerated into I am concerned the exclusivity of the Proton Packs might be walked back. Lol at the scalpers of course but it will be annoying if I gave them a hefty wad of cash for my order only to see people with theirs from 3rd party sellers before mine arrives.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What farce. They just pushed it back a month.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CelticPredator posted:

What farce. They just pushed it back a month.

The Pulse Rifles have been available in the UK since August.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Anybody playing Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed? What do you think? I'm skeptical, but for $40 I might give it a shot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

deoju posted:

Anybody playing Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed? What do you think? I'm skeptical, but for $40 I might give it a shot.

Reviews have been pretty negative, with the primary complaints being that the AI is terrible, the game's very grindy with no real rewards outside of mild story progression, and don't even bother if you don't have a steady group of friends to play it with because matchmaking is broken.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I played it for a few hours with randos and had a blast. A few buggy encounters where the proton streams kept breaking but overall I'd say give it a shot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I want that Tobin’s spirit guide cover, but not at that price :/

gregday
May 23, 2003

I’m trying to get my hands on one of these

https://twitter.com/CworthDynamics/status/1580671231610626048

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/rahulkohli13/status/1573150617367085057

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I've had a stream on in the background and the ghosts seems kind of drab. Are they gonna do any of the ones from the films? Would love to play as a Terror Dog, but I guess that might not work with the mechanics.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I still can’t believe the actual official Tobin’s Spirit Guide you can buy includes the blowjob ghost.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why wouldn't it include the best ghost

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Blowjob ghost isn’t even real! It was a dream Ray had!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Psshhhh, if you believe the propaganda that is the final, official edit of the film :colbert:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Imagine if Ray thought of the blowjob ghost instead of the stay puft marshmallow man

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ray’s clearly dreaming of a previous, off-camera, ghost busting job they had.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that I loved from my childhood. Something that would never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay-Puft. The Blowjob Ghost. We used to roast Stay-Puft Marshmallows get blowjobs by the fire at Camp Waconda."

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The music is also a kind of a weird sound alike of the first film's score. Makes me think they did that to avoid streamers getting content I'D on YouTube.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Karloff posted:

The music is also a kind of a weird sound alike of the first film's score. Makes me think they did that to avoid streamers getting content I'D on YouTube.

I had to reread your post quite a few times before I realized you were still talking about Spirits Unleashed and not the bj scene.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

To be fair it is often on my mind.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

GB score is incredible. There's nothing like it. It's so odd and creepy and warbly

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I really can’t fault the Afterlife composer from dipping into the original soundtrack so much, honestly.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Funnily enough the only thing that comes close for me is same composer Elmer Bernstein's score to the short film bits of Thriller.

The moment at 01:55 where Michael Jackson says "There's something I want to tell you - I'm not like others guys - No I mean I'm different "
https://youtu.be/sOnqjkJTMaA

Sounds a LOT like the music at 01:30 in the turning shot where Dana is talking to her Mum that eventually reveals the glowing door https://youtu.be/jqQ8fU-zUxo.

I always assumed it might have been intentional reprise as both moments feature raising tension immediately preceding attacks by dog like monsters.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

A bunch of his work in The Black Cauldron sounds like it's almost 100% lifted from GB.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
I collect some side-by-side examples of Bernstein scores that sound like GB on my "Overthinking Ghostbusters" chapter on music: https://www.runleiarun.com/ghostbusters/chapter6.shtml

In addition to the Thriller example mentioned above, there's bits from Slipstream, Trading Places, Summer and Smoke, Heavy Metal, Thoroughly Modern Millie and The Buccaneer…

I'll have to look at the Black Cauldron score! (I enjoyed the books as a kid but never saw the movie.)

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

The_Doctor posted:

is there any material difference between the ghost and the dream of a ghost? myt

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Icon-Cat posted:

I collect some side-by-side examples of Bernstein scores that sound like GB on my "Overthinking Ghostbusters" chapter on music: https://www.runleiarun.com/ghostbusters/chapter6.shtml

In addition to the Thriller example mentioned above, there's bits from Slipstream, Trading Places, Summer and Smoke, Heavy Metal, Thoroughly Modern Millie and The Buccaneer…

I'll have to look at the Black Cauldron score! (I enjoyed the books as a kid but never saw the movie.)

This is incredible. As is the entire project. I remember reading it years ago and am excited to give it a reread.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Icon-Cat posted:

Heavy use of the ondes martinot here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhTb1ckoKqk

About halfway through this one, you'll hear a bass motif that I think is practically right from Ghostbusters. Two rising notes, and then two higher but falling notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ-8XQyM-lo

And further in the score, he uses whatever synth is that kind of 'lower sparkly' sound. poo poo I'm a musician and I can't even properly describe it. It's as if a low-powered sparkler was put to music. :shrug: If I find it I'll post it. In GB, it's used when the guys are in the library and Peter is rubbing his hand over the books to get the slime off.

Relistening to this score, I'm hearing remnants of Dana's theme throughout. Not just because of the instrumentation but the actual score itself.

Edit: sorry for all of the edits, found the sparkly sound. Around 45 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q1zdeLMa8I

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 20, 2022

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
Wow! My thanks to you, Mr. Buttermilk. I'm definitely gonna have to listen to that whole score but I certainly hear what you're hearing. I can't believe I never dug into this myself, I must have missed it on his filmography somehow when I was digging into his work.

I'm glad Black Cauldron came after GB or I would have to write a whole thing about how you can hear antecedents and blah blah blah… as it stands, I'll probably be able to just line up some interesting examples of familiar-sounding music and harrumph, well, what do you want, it's Hollywood.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Yo Spirits Unleashed is fun. It's a bit buggy, but the gameplay is solid. I've got over a dozen games under my belt - as a buster and as a ghost. I don't know if the AI is bad or not, as all the games I have been in were full.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Icon-Cat posted:

Wow! My thanks to you, Mr. Buttermilk. I'm definitely gonna have to listen to that whole score but I certainly hear what you're hearing. I can't believe I never dug into this myself, I must have missed it on his filmography somehow when I was digging into his work.

I'm glad Black Cauldron came after GB or I would have to write a whole thing about how you can hear antecedents and blah blah blah… as it stands, I'll probably be able to just line up some interesting examples of familiar-sounding music and harrumph, well, what do you want, it's Hollywood.

Glad to help! I never watched the Black Cauldron before a few months ago, when a friend of mine said the score sounded like GB and gave me timestamps to specific moments (we both have Disney+). I was blown away by how similar they are, it's nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I bought Spirits Unleashed and I've been playing it a bit. I'd give it a C or C+. It's not great by any stretch, but I am having fun busting. The music is the best part imo, they did a good job of staying close to the film's score but being new. The worst part is optional challenges, they are too hard and tedious. The central mechanic is that you are too weak to bring down a ghost alone, so you need back up. But you have to split up to track them down and then regroup to catch them. I'll play it another week or two until I get bored, but on the whole, I'd say you could spend $40 in worse ways.