Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I assume the tenants will use a door / stair from the garage anyway

hope you like stairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

lmao

hahahah

When you're paying a half million dollars you only get the best.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

other than the garage and death stairs those are probably fine

Apr 7, 2003

They look like total poo poo and lmao at paying a half million dollars for a duplex where you can hear your neighbors gently caress in Dormont

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They doubled the housing density on that plot :)

Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They doubled the housing density on that plot :)

They could have built something similar to what's on the left or right and quintupled it or better.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They could have built something similar to what's on the left or right and quintupled it or better.

Hell yeah

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that brick apartment block looks really cozy . I bet you the units have wood floors

Apr 7, 2003

This house is the twin of the one that was knocked down to build that hideous duplex. Owners paid $180K to buy it in 1998. What a time to be alive.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh, that hurts. That was a pretty house.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oh, that hurts. That was a pretty house.

Yes but now the new one looks like it’s right out of an HGTV episode isn’t that what you want? Gonna guess there’s some weird floating barn doors and a “wood accent wall” in the living room and/or master bedroom in each

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t believe they knocked that down

it may have had structural issues I guess who knows

(it didn’t )

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Modern dishwashers are slow because they're more efficient than older ones. It's specifically a response to newer requirements for energy star ratings limiting the total amount of water and electricity used for a single cycle. There's no way to meet those requirements without taking several hours to clean a load of dishes.

High-efficiency washing machines take longer, too.

fair enough i have a HE washing machine and yeah that's true, though it's definitely quieter and makes a pretty little chime noise at the end

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I just set my dishwasher on a timer so it washes while I’m not around. same for washing machine. however not all devices have them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

actionjackson posted:

fair enough i have a HE washing machine and yeah that's true, though it's definitely quieter and makes a pretty little chime noise at the end

They pretty much all have some kind of quick setting that's basically a "gently caress it" mode that just runs as inefficiently as possible and finishes in no time. It's good that most people have no idea it's there because it would completely torpedo the environmental advantages of having modern, high-efficiency appliances.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

They pretty much all have some kind of quick setting that's basically a "gently caress it" mode that just runs as inefficiently as possible and finishes in no time. It's good that most people have no idea it's there because it would completely torpedo the environmental advantages of having modern, high-efficiency appliances.

most dishashers have a "heavy mode" that you basically never need to use unless you're cleaning six crock pots used for week-old queso all at once

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

They look like total poo poo and lmao at paying a half million dollars for a duplex where you can hear your neighbors gently caress in Dormont

"honey, the neighbors must be loving again. it sounds like an incredibly loud, floor-shaking freight train passing right outside our front door"

Apr 7, 2003

i say swears online posted:

"honey, the neighbors must be loving again. it sounds like an incredibly loud, floor-shaking freight train passing right outside our front door"

those are passenger tram tracks

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

those are passenger tram tracks

the gently caress is this? where does the coal go?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

the gently caress is this? where does the coal go?

Don’t worry, they probably still use coal to power the grid it runs on

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

we do a dishwasher load a day or two so just run it overnight

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sonatinas posted:

I just set my dishwasher on a timer so it washes while I’m not around. same for washing machine. however not all devices have them.

you can just press the start button before you leave

tho my bosch is only 50 dba, so i can't even hear it if i'm listening to music or w/e (which is always)

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

im pretty sure this is happening a lot especially in hotter markets. started looking in 2021 and everything in the low 400s were absolutely condemnable dumps that needed 100k in renovations and were always snapped up super quickly for above asking. I'm talking 50 year old carpets, gaps in windows, cracks all over walls and in central support beams, sagging roofs, rotting floorboards.

unless wages do rise all those loving moral hazard idiots are going to be in even more dire straights or just stuck in absolute poo poo holes for a while. better hope job cuts don't come.

my favorite was checking 3 homes and seeing the same family at each one - at the last one overheard them telling their agent 'stop showing us these ghetto dumps we have 2 young children' and the agent apologizing 'but this is your price range'

<3 sacramento

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ammanas posted:

im pretty sure this is happening a lot especially in hotter markets. started looking in 2021 and everything in the low 400s were absolutely condemnable dumps that needed 100k in renovations and were always snapped up super quickly for above asking. I'm talking 50 year old carpets, gaps in windows, cracks all over walls and in central support beams, sagging roofs, rotting floorboards.

unless wages do rise all those loving moral hazard idiots are going to be in even more dire straights or just stuck in absolute poo poo holes for a while. better hope job cuts don't come.

my favorite was checking 3 homes and seeing the same family at each one - at the last one overheard them telling their agent 'stop showing us these ghetto dumps we have 2 young children' and the agent apologizing 'but this is your price range'

<3 sacramento

my job this summer was determining if county appraisers had accurately set values on properties, via hearings with property owners protesting their appraisal. this is travis county (austin), so this year there were tons of very similar protests from people that had just moved to the city:

"yes, i admit we overpaid for this house. we got into an irrational bidding war where we bid $70,000 over the next-highest and waived our right to inspections, buying the house sight-unseen while we were still living in california. therefore what i paid was not the true market value of the home. i recommend you change the appraisal's use of my sale price of $1,250,000 to $800,000, which is the true market value"

lots of people from CA totally unaware that texas' tax burden falls upon people that are house-poor. lots of pissed-off new landlords didn't realize they only get one homestead exemption, not seven

to get into the hearings you had to pass through two police checkpoints with full-body wanding so new homeowners wouldn't come in and execute us lol, lmao

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Ammanas posted:

<3 sacramento

Seems like those people could probably find housing more to their liking if they weren't poor.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

MickeyFinn posted:

Seems like those people could probably find housing more to their liking if they weren't poor.

yea working families are loving useless. just be rich idiots!!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

joepinetree posted:

But the text says that there was an inspector, just that they didn't catch the problems. Though how someone misses that none of the kitchen appliances work is beyond me.

Yeah, inspectors can be incompetent or biased but how is that not caught either by them, your realtor, or in the final walkthrough? No one opened up the fridge or turned on the stove?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, inspectors can be incompetent or biased but how is that not caught either by them, your realtor, or in the final walkthrough? No one opened up the fridge or turned on the stove?

"Utilities are shut off, sorry."

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Thoguh posted:

There's honestly some weird stuff going on in that article. Like this:

quote:

While her monthly mortgage payments are about as much as her rent was, necessary repairs to the roof ended up costing $65,000, much more than the $12,000 to $17,000 the inspector had estimated before the sale closed.

$65k for a roof on what appears to be a fairly modest house is... a lot. There's gotta be something seriously structural going on there because there's just no way a basic roof replacement is ever going to cost that much. Kind of makes me wonder if the inspector was the honest one and she got taken by a really lovely roofing contractor.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Kind of makes me wonder if the inspector was the honest one and she got taken by a really lovely roofing contractor.

yeah a new shingle roof even replacing nearly all the plywood should be 20,000-30,000 on a reasonable sized house.

a hosed up roof that needs to be corrected or requires requires like metal could be more.

for comparison the roof on our house was originally torch down with gravel low slope that drained to the interior corners. a previous owner shingled over that and added gutters. which was dumb. because of the interior drains the original roof wasn’t flat. it sloped to the drains. to make it level and re roof with metal and do good gutters was about 46k. we had been expecting neighborhood of 35 to 40 if we chose metal going into the purchase.

so 65,000 would be totally new, like new joists new facia everything and the most expensive metal.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Paradoxish posted:

There's honestly some weird stuff going on in that article. Like this:

$65k for a roof on what appears to be a fairly modest house is... a lot. There's gotta be something seriously structural going on there because there's just no way a basic roof replacement is ever going to cost that much. Kind of makes me wonder if the inspector was the honest one and she got taken by a really lovely roofing contractor.

I had to get a new roof because of hail damage a couple of years ago on a similarly sized house and I paid like 8k (which my insurance paid for after a brief fight). She is in Oklahoma so it's not like it should be wildly more expensive than anywhere else.

I think if I would have got the fanciest impact resistant roof with the 75 year shingles or whatever it was like 14k.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Still the worst was the landlord who ignored my complaints for six months that cats were living in the crawl space under the house and then withheld my deposit under the justification that I had unpermitted pets and the place needed to have pest control take care of fleas. And while I think the implication is clear I’ll say outright that I did not have a pet

[stimpack noise] that's the stuff

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

most dishashers have a "heavy mode" that you basically never need to use unless you're cleaning six crock pots used for week-old queso all at once

Mine has a a heavy mode, a fast mode, but you can actually throw both switches together to get something referred to in the manual as "STRONG AND FAST" (lol) mode that uses according to the manual almost five gallons of water and just powerbombs food off the dishes I guess? The normal mode uses like 1.5 gal

I've never used it

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’ll inspect houses if you know what I mean

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I grew up in a culture that advised, "don't run the dishwasher or washer/dryer unless you are at home" because the potential for a leak, fire, or other fuckup had catastrophic implications. I'm just renting so it's not the end of my world but I wouldn't want to come home to a huge dishwasher leak and a bunch of stoned apartment maintenance people milling about, stealing meat out of my fridge, and using clean bed sheets from the dryer to mop up water. Did I read that on SA back in the day? drat, time is a flat circle

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

palindrome posted:

I grew up in a culture that advised, "don't run the dishwasher or washer/dryer unless you are at home" because the potential for a leak, fire, or other fuckup had catastrophic implications. I'm just renting so it's not the end of my world but I wouldn't want to come home to a huge dishwasher leak and a bunch of stoned apartment maintenance people milling about, stealing meat out of my fridge, and using clean bed sheets from the dryer to mop up water. Did I read that on SA back in the day? drat, time is a flat circle

that's definitely boomer poo poo. do you unplug the fridge when you're at work? i've had more fridge leaks over the years than dishwasher or clothes washer. you should trust your breaker box

and if it's a dishwasher leak it'd probably just be the sealing around the door? which'd just be a very modest amount over time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auh90lGnvHw

this doesn't happen irl

edit lmfao $900 for electrical and gasline repairs as well as cosmetic removal of scorch marks aaaaa

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 08:25 on Oct 20, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I have to use this because the dishwasher is from like 1997 and doesn’t clean otherwise.

just to vent:

- I can’t put hot food in the fridge as advised, because it’ll make the temps shoot up to 6-7 C for hours. This also occurs on its own if the room is warmer than about 82 F.

- The dryer takes three “automatic” cycles to dry a normal amount of washed clothes.

- Newly replaced fan is completely ineffective, it’s like they put a tiny CPU fan

Wish I could afford to move

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

joepinetree posted:

But the text says that there was an inspector, just that they didn't catch the problems. Though how someone misses that none of the kitchen appliances work is beyond me.

This happened to someone I worked with and they sued the poo poo out of the home inspector and he ended up giving them a large lump of cash to make it go away.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Yeah that's pretty much it. I also turn off the lights and shutdown my desktop computer when I leave so uh, I'm just being environmentally friendly and not paranoid about appliance malfunctions.

$900?! get outta here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

palindrome posted:

Modern dishwashers detect and contain leaks