Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Expecting an it professional to make eye contact ????????????????????? Without paying us ?!?!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

They walked into a shop, asked for the manager, gave a firm handshake and a resume, just like boomers insisted I do. Absolutely hosed.

literally how I got my first four jobs

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A couple of them made me fill out a paper form in addition to wanting a paper copy of my resume

totally hosed

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pouring over the fuckin' classifieds looking for jobs and second hand stuff, glad those are dead.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

xzzy posted:

Pouring over the fuckin' classifieds looking for jobs and second hand stuff, glad those are dead.

My grandmother said that is how she got dates. Dudes in the classifieds.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

My grandmother said that is how she got dates. Dudes in the classifieds.

https://twitter.com/anc_historian/status/1572401401220964359?s=46&t=inSzlOqWdMyTOG4b5OgvFg

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
How do y'all politely tell people to gently caress off?

I've got this new helpdesk guy sitting next to me that just talks all day long. Half the time I can't tell if he's talking to himself or talking to me or what.
I do the headphones thing and pretend to ignore him to try and focus on my work but then he just comes over and interrupts me to ask for help with stuff.
...which is fine. I don't mind helping the guy but like I can't afford to be walking him through every single problem he encounters.

When I say things like "please not right now, I'm trying to focus" or "I can't help you I'm trying to finish this" or "bro I am literally on the phone with someone please stop yelling at me", he just looks at me like I shot his dog and goes back to mumbling to himself.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

How do y'all politely tell people to gently caress off?

gently caress off, please.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, it sounds like you've been pretty firm with it. You might also try framing it as you expect them to try to figure something out for 15 minutes or so before coming to you, that way you are not robbing them of learning. But the speaking to themselves thing just makes me think they don't understand how you prefer your environment around you to be. I haven't been successful with that sort of thing.

Personally, I'd try to move to a location that isn't shoulder to shoulder.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Part-time helpdesk applicant's desired pay is 6 figures (negotiable); there is a point where it DOES hurt to ask

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Chad Jihad posted:

Part-time helpdesk applicant's desired pay is 6 figures (negotiable); there is a point where it DOES hurt to ask

It's called confidence sweaty. Stop underpaying

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
That is not underpaying for the helpdesk

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The Chad Jihad posted:

Well havent you heard of negotiating?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

i am a moron posted:

If we paid based on how much the job sucked then definitely yes but we dont do that yet

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Chad Jihad posted:

If we paid based on how much the job sucked then definitely yes but we dont do that yet

Making 8 figures would make custodianship worth it for me ngl

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i am a moron posted:

Good point 7 figures or gently caress off

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Yesss I filled out 7 job apps yesterday and got 2 bites back already. Hoping something pans out for more money and less (or at least fresh) bullshit.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

However, I did help a very satisfied user see that she did, in fact, have the printer that she was looking to get installed already installed on her computer.

One of those people where I flinch whenever I get an email from them but at least that was an easy one.

I was told this role would be project management intensive when I applied :colbert:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I had a user email me asking for instructions on what to do next to get our remote session working. Included in the email was a screenshot of the instructions displayed prominently in the middle of the page. Users, man

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

tokin opposition posted:

Good point 7 figures or gently caress off

I’ve never really understood this. Is X figures the number of zeroes or the number of digits?

So is “five figures” 10,000 or 10^5?

Im actually serious

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Agrikk posted:

I’ve never really understood this. Is X figures the number of zeroes or the number of digits?

Im actually serious

Dictionary says:

five-figure adjective
Definition of five-figure

: containing five numerical figures : rated at an annual salary of $10,000 or more

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Im actually serious

number of digits

there is ambiguity if you say x and a half figgies though

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Just cut the CI/CD pipeline execution time for our biggest software team from ~24 min to 13 min :smug:. Datadog has a surprisingly good CI integration, made it very easy to drill down and compute the averages I wanted.

Biggest offenders were our go image builds, which somehow managed to use up nearly 6 full loving CPU cores through our k8s runner. The previous limit was 1 CPU, so lol, lmao, so many sigkills. Redid the node pool and resource requests/limits. I’m only a novice with go, but that seems like an inordinate amount of resources to burn on every image build. I feel like there’s got to be a way of making that more efficient. We’re just running gobuild with a bevy of dependencies. Nothing too exciting.

Also implemented cacheing and it works but is about 10 seconds slower than when we downloaded all our go dependencies from GitHub over the internet. It’s in GCS and not local to the cluster so I’m not hugely surprised, but it still sucks and is something to look into tomorrow.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 19, 2022

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

number of digits

there is ambiguity if you say x and a half figgies though

X and a half figgies is past the halfway mark to the next X. So 5 and a half figgies would be 50k+, 6 and a half figgies would be 500k+, etc.. Thats how I've always read it.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

i'm just happy to have gotten promoted to 5 3/4 figgies recently with even more places to go hell yeah

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

tokin opposition posted:

Dictionary says

We’ll look at you Mister Highfalutin Fancypants with you new-fangled “dictionary”.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got hit up in teams for an email not being delivered and took great pleasure in redirecting them to infosec + a teammate, because I no longer deal with exchange/email flow as of six+ months ago.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

i'm pretty sure a recruiter just butt dialed me while either humping or eating icecream very loudly.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Buff Hardback posted:

i'm just happy to have gotten promoted to 5 3/4 figgies recently with even more places to go hell yeah

I jumped from around this amount to 6 figgies and let me tell you, its quite nice to break through that mark.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

jaegerx posted:

This was deleted but basically, parler cc'd every user on their platform rather than bcc. Basically they doxxed every single on of their users.

https://gizmodo.com/parler-doxxes-vips-announcing-kanye-west-acquisition-1849677634

FYI this hit Gizmodo "press" today

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

We had the palo alto thing 6 months ahead of the press too. This website is well worth the :10bux:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Iron Rose posted:

Just cut the CI/CD pipeline execution time for our biggest software team from ~24 min to 13 min :smug:.

This is the good stuff people hardly ever get the credit for they deserve. Awesome find/fix.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

johnny park posted:

I had a user email me asking for instructions on what to do next to get our remote session working. Included in the email was a screenshot of the instructions displayed prominently in the middle of the page. Users, man

I have to explicitly include "point the remote towards the camera/projector" in user instructions because people will not do that then complain that the system doesn't work.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

We had a user doing a hybrid meeting in a room that freaked out and hailed IT for emergency support when everything suddenly stopped working!

They pressed end meeting as the host mid-presentation of course.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Being an infrastructure guy these days sucks. No one gives a poo poo about infrastructure until it stops working. C suite is pushing a huge "cloud first strategy" and I get it, a big chunk of the company deals with internal apps, and website poo poo and all that, but there's a bunch of us keeping things like AD, Storage, Virtual Hosts etc running and none of that stuff is going away anytime soon. We have like 7PB of storage in use and 10K+ virtual machines. You're not going to just lift and shift that poo poo to the cloud. I generally think highly of our higher ups, but they just keep saying "cloud" and I'm starting to think they don't understand the ramifications of everything. That or they only care about certain parts of IT.

Not to mention we're being pressed hard to find savings as our expenses are pretty high lately, and I've NEVER seen cloud anything come out less expensive on a cash expenditure basis. Don't get me wrong there's lots of reasons to use the "cloud" but cost savings has never been one of them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lifting and shifting your standard enterprise VMware environment into a cloud service makes no sense, it's not what it was designed for. But C-levels.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Just realized that where my home office window is the entire neighborhood can see me when I stand up from working to open the blinds, and I'm wearing a crisp pressed dress shirt and tie with no pants on

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Just realized that where my home office window is the entire neighborhood can see me when I stand up from working to open the blinds, and I'm wearing a crisp pressed dress shirt and tie with no pants on

Do you wear a shirt and tie because of expectations of what you wear on camera? At my place no one bats an eye at a t-shirt, but I like to have dress shirts lying around for when I need to be camera ready. No tie ever though. Haven’t worn a tie in probably over 2 years :-/ last time was for a funeral

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

That'll teach them to mind their own business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Being an infrastructure guy these days sucks. No one gives a poo poo about infrastructure until it stops working. C suite is pushing a huge "cloud first strategy" and I get it, a big chunk of the company deals with internal apps, and website poo poo and all that, but there's a bunch of us keeping things like AD, Storage, Virtual Hosts etc running and none of that stuff is going away anytime soon. We have like 7PB of storage in use and 10K+ virtual machines. You're not going to just lift and shift that poo poo to the cloud. I generally think highly of our higher ups, but they just keep saying "cloud" and I'm starting to think they don't understand the ramifications of everything. That or they only care about certain parts of IT.

Not to mention we're being pressed hard to find savings as our expenses are pretty high lately, and I've NEVER seen cloud anything come out less expensive on a cash expenditure basis. Don't get me wrong there's lots of reasons to use the "cloud" but cost savings has never been one of them.

I went over what cloud infra was for in some detail for the C-suite (with simple explanatory visual aids) so they could kind of understand where we could/should use it and where we shouldn’t. Not sure if that would work where you are.

Though I work in manufacturing so it was a little bit easier. If it is required for local survivability to run process at a plant regardless of fiber seeking backhoes or whatever, it’s on prem. If it’s some service that is only locally significant or has a relatively low load variability, on prem. Anything else it makes sense to do a cost analysis for shipping it up vs keeping it local. Since you already have to keep nerds around to keep the factory infra and automation running, there’s no delusion of magically sending everything to ~the cloud~ and being able to get rid of a bunch of opex via magic. Or at least I don’t get many questions anymore about how we can send process control to the cloud.

At last $job I’d still get questions yearly (during budget season) about just converting everything to wireless so we didn’t have to maintain physical cabling infrastructure or buy network switches, and have to explain the same reasons why you still need physical cabling and switches in some capacity every time.