Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

vicky 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Vicky 3.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

prepare your factroys

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The ck3 launch was good iirc, maybe vicky 3 will launch ok too

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The map game community is in an uproar about not being able to move their army men on the map

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CK3 had a few issues but I can't think of much that was a major issue, much better than most Paradox releases at launch. Haven't really had any big bugs or anything added from patches/DLC for it either. I've only really played CK2 & 3 and a tiny bit of EU4 so I'm not sure if I want to pick up Vicky 3 or not but it looks neat.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Whizzing Wizard posted:

The map game community is in an uproar about not being able to move their army men on the map

loser mentality, removing the army men from the map makes it better.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
yes i am calling out the map game community and I'll do it again.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Volte posted:

https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1356295977628561410
Sounds like a pretty grim story but calling either of these interpretations "charitable" is disingenuous at best. I can't speak to the specific handling of some of the topics in the game, but nothing in the premise, action, or conclusion as described in the thread supports the assertion that guy is making to me. You could probably conjure up a similar tweet thread about Twin Peaks, one of my favourite pieces of media ever (the David Lynch parts of it at least), which is also a deeply upsetting story about sexual abuse, tragedy begetting tragedy, a literal and figurative monster created through that tragedy, and a complete failure to save anyone.

I mean, I fully believe the game is bad and the themes don't land, but I'm also not prepared to write the whole team off as disgusting misanthropes because of it, especially if there are other writers and directors involved.

hello twitter user bobvids, i also consume nothing but YA fiction and marvel movies and think "bad endings" are problematic
if the entire cast isn't alive and clapping for me during the credit roll that means the authors are literally supporting DEATH

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bob is not saying depiction is endorsement lol

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Anyone play that Potionomics on Steam?
looks neat.

edit: nevermind it has the Deckbuilding tag.

It owns

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The 7th Guest posted:

bob is not saying depiction is endorsement lol

then why is he mad at the depiction

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

then why is he mad at the depiction

I think you might find those answers in the twitter thread you quoted

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He's mad at his reading of the story op, if you think that's not a good reading that's fine but he's not saying "this game shows a bad thing so it likes it"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have played layers of fear, i have suffered through the medium, bloober's whole shtick is incompetently utilizing controversial subject matter to draw attention to them. it's not something unique to that studio when it comes to the horror gaming industry at large -- if there are two things bad/mediocre horror gaming is known for, it's cheap exploitation and Lovecraft masturbation -- but i don't want a studio like that handling silent hill, a franchise that already has too many bad/mediocre entries

the medium is just another in a long line of terrible horror games that can't cash the checks it writes with the material it wants to cover. it has nothing to do with who survives at the end. it is how the story is written, structured, and presented from start to finish. bob would be fine with a darker ending, if it earned it, and it didn't. it does just about nothing right

also, separate from story and theme, it doesn't even work as a 'spoopy!!' game!!!! because the maw is a hilariously unspooky monster with a bad design that they show all of to you, with horrible voice acting that moans and burps stupid lines whenever you're sneaking around it

e: i did forget about Observer, which I also played, and while it's at least more novel than the other games due to its setting, it still has some real eye-rolling moments. but it at least has some interesting set pieces from time to time, and the gameplay itself is probably the most acceptable gameplay of any of their titles. don't expect me to recall specifically what i found eye-rolling because i played it four years ago, which at this point is over 800 beaten games ago

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 19, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've only played Observer and it was pretty OK? I mostly remember it being a spoopy walking sim/adventure game (except that you can also get killed by the spoops sometimes, which was jarring) and nothing about it leapt out at me as being problematic. Also rutger hauer was a cool dude

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Observer is their best game, reaching the lofty heights of “pretty decent”

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Were people asking for a remake of Silent Hill 2

idk the stilted ps2 voice acting is part of the charm

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Remakes are fail, just do high quality remasters and focus on new ideas. Do people really want to spend $70 to see the same story again with prettier models or see the same story but it gets SuBveRtEd towards the end?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
re1 and 2 remakes were good 😤

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
not sure about 3, haven't played it yet

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When they re-recorded the voices for some later releases of silent Hill 2 and 3, they used reputable, professional voice actors, but hosed up the direction so the performances didn't fit very well with the game,s tone or characters, and were ultimately inferior

But I can picture a silent Hill 2 with pro voice acting that is better than the original stilted performances

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Whizzing Wizard posted:

It makes me mad because moving the army men and what the army men are is one of my fav parts of map games.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the best outcome for bloober team sh2 is getting something like the demons souls remake: technically competent and flashier but with the soul of the original hollowed out. the more likely outcome is something that just sucks but we all get to enjoy another moment like the one clip of jerma playing layers of fear

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm just here to paint the map my country's colour

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
i paint the map red

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I'm just here to control the opium markets.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I'm just here to paint the map my country's colour

have you heard the good word about splatoon?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm here to kick rear end and chew bubblegum

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
tf in ck3 w you trick an enemy army into attacking you on mountains yet again and your knights and men-at-arms own them... Also cool that when youre sieging someone if they attack it's a defensive battle. I like the strategy stuff it adds but also understand that the market stuff in vicky is what a lot of people like about it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Today

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It is extremely funny that not only did the NTWEWY Steam release get shadowdropped with little notification, it got shadowdropped like a day before P5 comes out on Steam.

Committed to making this game fail three times.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

today also, yeah.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Waffleman_ posted:

It is extremely funny that not only did the NTWEWY Steam release get shadowdropped with little notification, it got shadowdropped like a day before P5 comes out on Steam.

it's a shame because neotwewy owns. i haven't played royal but i'd put it above normal P5 for sure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/NESbot_feed/status/1582731127948599296?s=20&t=-DBsI42AWJDr5AUDMZvexA

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blooper Team working on it is a bad sign.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PS5 is the console of the timed exclusive

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

I thought it was already on Steam what the hell

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

karmicknight posted:

today also, yeah.

CAVS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Harrow posted:

Do people actually like Bloober Team's games? Because they seem to be doing fairly well for themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0fm2lRrEg0

also

Jay Rust posted:

Lol the sequel to Layers of Fear 2 is gonna be called Layers of Fears