Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I wish I could keep interested in things over time and actually work towards my life goals or learn a new skill. as it is I either have no energy and sleep/watch tv, or I have energy but can’t focus it on anything, or I end up playing truck simulator or something for 72 hours straight

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

same + “this doesn’t count cause other people can do it, and better than i can”

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Silver Alicorn posted:

I wish I could keep interested in things over time and actually work towards my life goals or learn a new skill. as it is I either have no energy and sleep/watch tv, or I have energy but can’t focus it on anything, or I end up playing truck simulator or something for 72 hours straight

big same. I envy people who can dedicate their lives to something.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

same + “this doesn’t count cause other people can do it, and better than i can”

:hmmyes:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Silver Alicorn posted:

try pills

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

big same. I envy people who can dedicate their lives to something.

dedicate ur life to posting

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I envy people who can dedicate their lives to something constructive.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I jsut want to be able to finish something

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I've been getting up early and with purpose for 3 days in a row, ask me anything

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
to answer the obvious question, yes, this time it will be different, and to answer the second most obvious question yes, i plan on doing this forever.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

PokeJoe posted:

try pills

they won't let me

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

That sucks :(

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sounds kinda like me unmedicated friendo. I hope you get the help you need soon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is it possible that drinking is bad for your mental health?

I’m trying to trick myself into believing that I’m happier when I don’t drink, or more specifically, if I don’t have any drinks in an evening then when I go to bed and also get up I tell myself “I’m so glad I didn’t drink” and I hope if I do it enough then when it’s late arvo and I feel like a drink, instead of only focusing on the fun, maybe I also remember how pleased I am when I don’t drink and maybe that influences myself into not drinking

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

is it possible that drinking is bad for your mental health?

IS IT

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
hmmmm now that you mention it all the hopeless drunks i've known seemed kinda down, when i stop to think about it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

could a depressant do anything to your mental health? who knows

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

excessive drinking has ruined countless lives, causing numerous physical health issues, not to mention the financial aspect of dealing with an addiction and the contribution to increased domestic abuse. but it also makes you feel good for a couple hours when you are first buzzed, so it’s impossible to say if its actually bad or not

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

part of humanity is self-destruction, it's unavoidable and necessary. alcohol facilitates this and has facilitated this for 12,000 years. as methods of portioning out limited units of self-destruction goes, it has its advantages and disadvantages. if it were invented today it would probably be illegal and unpopular.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

chaosbreather posted:

part of humanity is self-destruction, it's unavoidable and necessary. alcohol facilitates this and has facilitated this for 12,000 years. as methods of portioning out limited units of self-destruction goes, it has its advantages and disadvantages. if it were invented today it would probably be illegal and unpopular.

please do not sign your posts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I sent an email to some psychiatrist outfit

god I need to find a solution to this god drat piece of poo poo brain lol

I *could* be worthwhile. I really think it's possible

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
unironically hearing good things about ketamine for depression

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

i keep reading about this and shroom therapy, and think "i should find a doctor and try that", then i remember i haven't even bothered finding a straight up therapist as a first step.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Regular drugs like escitalopram also work on depression*, you know. You don't have to jump straight to shrooms and special k

*in about 40 percent of people iirc lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

ketamine infusion therapy was incredibly effective for me. expensive as hell, though: it got to something like $8k total when i stopped, at $690 a pop, and i'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't needed a "booster" every few months

but knowing what i know now, I'd have paid five times as much. depression still resurfaces once in a while, once every month or 2 for a couple days, but otherwise it's in near-as-damnit total remission

it's only a shame that it didn't hit the anx, but hey yo, one miracle is enough :v:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:unsmith:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sagebrush posted:

Regular drugs like escitalopram also work on depression*, you know. You don't have to jump straight to shrooms and special k

*in about 40 percent of people iirc lol

if your source of depression is premature ejaculation escitalopram is off the hook

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

today has been a day of intrusive thoughts and non-stop anxiety today over the dumbest poo poo. gently caress yeah.

edit: sorry if this is the wrong place to vent

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s the right place

that sucks man. idk how to tell the difference between intrusive thoughts vs I just think bad things. my brains getting worse by the hour

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, honestly i don't know the difference myself. i'm just thinking "i wonder if i could make it over the fence on the nearby bridge" is in the realm of intrusive thoughts rather than just bad thoughts.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

afaict from talking about it in therapy, hosed up intrusive thoughts are as common as muck; just some people can disregard, ignore and forget them more readily than others (i used to be a lot worse at it, myself. therapy & practice helped)

brains're weird

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yeah, honestly i don't know the difference myself. i'm just thinking "i wonder if i could make it over the fence on the nearby bridge" is in the realm of intrusive thoughts rather than just bad thoughts.

yeah idk

like, the brain is sometimes a problem solving machine and sometimes existence feels very unappealing so my brain comes up with lots of solutions to that problem and hands them to me. not many of them are constructive

but yeah vent here for sure

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
there is a lot to be said for the now over-used word "mindfulness" in at least that you must recognize thoughts are only that no matter how dire and can be allowed to go unexamined, uncontested or unacknowledged as simply mental clutter from a brain that has been exposed to lots of trauma real and imaginary

it's just a leaf in a stream yo

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

there is a lot to be said for the now over-used word "mindfulness" in at least that you must recognize thoughts are only that no matter how dire and can be allowed to go unexamined, uncontested or unacknowledged as simply mental clutter from a brain that has been exposed to lots of trauma real and imaginary

it's just a leaf in a stream yo

a marijuana leaf, specifically

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think it goes past just being exposed to trauma. our brains evolved in a dangerous environment. there are obvious evolutionary advantages to being constantly looking for danger and imagining scenarios and planning for the worst....if you are on the serengeti spending all day searching for food while surrounded by tigers.

in the same way that our teeth have not evolved to handle a modern high-sugar diet, our brains have not evolved to handle a modern low-mortal-risk lifestyle. they are programmed to imagine the worst. they can't help it.

if you can really understand that your brain just comes up with these ideas on its own out of nowhere, and that they are broadly meaningless, it goes a long way to creating some mental calm

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
yeah but i was referring to the bridge scenario

i had thought of going through a gap to a ten meter drop to land on top of a train with my legs pinwheeling like a certain coyote

completely blameless because my heart would be in surviving the fall and keeping pace with something moving at a good speed

not a good thought

but i entertained it

so i feel for anyone who sees a high place and wonders what really is at the bottom

shouldn't do that, not a survival instinct to be sure

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think that's still fundamentally a survival instinct -- just an overreactionary and incompetent one. your brain going "imagine this awful thing that could happen, right this instant even, look at how close you are to it...better not let that happen..."

if you're aware of it -- if you're afraid of it -- you can avert it. i don't think you can be aware of danger without being at least a little afraid of it; that's the point. babies aren't afraid of these abstract dangers, which is why you have to constantly stop them from accidentally killing themselves.

so your brain is trying to protect you from disaster, but it does that by showing you how close you are. i often get it when i'm driving my car and there's a pedestrian on the sidewalk. "just one tiny twist of the wheel...you'd kill them and go to prison...your life would be over...it could happen...it's always just seconds away..."

i hate it and it's certainly an intrusive thought. edgar allan poe called it "the imp of the perverse." it takes a huge amount of mental fortitude to deal with. i'm working on it

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 12, 2022

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sagebrush posted:

"imagine this awful thing that could happen, right this instant even, look at how close you are to it...better not let that happen..."

to me it feels more like "if it were to happen, how would it play out and what could you do to salvage the situation?" and less like "you better avoid it in the first place"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

dioxazine posted:

the sky is blue because of rayleigh scattering, the clouds are white due to mie scattering

clouds are white from non-selective scattering. the water droplets are bigger than incoming EM waves so they get scattered equally across the spectrum which means white light. rayleigh and mie are blue skies and sunsets respectively