Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
brain/mind chat containment thread

talk about consciousness itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

echinopsis posted:

talk about consciousness itt

not a big fan, honestly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when I was younger I used to think I was smart but now I am worried my brain is hosed and will prevent me from succeeding in life

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
got ADHDD? tell me
about it. I wonder if I have it but because I can pay my mortgage and get to work on time then maybe it’s not bad enough to warrant treatment so instead i’ll just be a perpetual mild failure

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I like to think of my brain as ever-shrinking because every day I forget something important I should have known for years. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

not a big fan, honestly

there are clouds outside but they are in your mind

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Video Nasty posted:

I like to think of my brain as ever-shrinking because every day I forget something important I should have known for years. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:worship:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
your perception is a piece of poo poo

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op I didn’t know that your moms name was “my brain”

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

echinopsis posted:

there are clouds outside but they are in your mind

the sky is blue because of rayleigh scattering, the clouds are white due to mie scattering

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

not a big fan, honestly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

got ADHDD? tell me
about it. I wonder if I have it but because I can pay my mortgage and get to work on time then maybe it’s not bad enough to warrant treatment so instead i’ll just be a perpetual mild failure

for me it just means i get a billion thoughts all the time about complicated poo poo lol

if you can sort it out and connect them, it's actually helpful. i try to do this and seem to be able to harness it effectively, but ngl it makes concentrating pretty difficult at times. if you can't it sucks rear end

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dioxazine posted:

the sky is blue because of rayleigh scattering, the clouds are white due to mie scattering

well yeah of course, but your perception of them is through an internal representation of them

everything out there exists, but what you experience is your own internal representation of them

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

dioxazine posted:

the sky is blue on mars :)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

echinopsis posted:

got ADHDD? tell me

i have it and can't really do those things so idk dude ask a pchitaratrist

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

for me it just means i get a billion thoughts all the time about complicated poo poo lol

if you can sort it out and connect them, it's actually helpful. i try to do this and seem to be able to harness it effectively, but ngl it makes concentrating pretty difficult at times. if you can't it sucks rear end

I think the crux of it for me is that yes my mind works like that when it has things to latch onto, but as I’ve aged, the things that provide stimulation and interest become fewer and fewer. it’s like I’ve lived long enough to have explored everything that interests my brain, and there is nothing left to hyperfocus on

it feels like I just don’t have control over what I can put effort into. and at least years ago I had an endless horde of things to dive into but nowadays .. I’m a motivationless husk of an individual

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

I think the crux of it for me is that yes my mind works like that when it has things to latch onto, but as I’ve aged, the things that provide stimulation and interest become fewer and fewer. it’s like I’ve lived long enough to have explored everything that interests my brain, and there is nothing left to hyperfocus on

it feels like I just don’t have control over what I can put effort into. and at least years ago I had an endless horde of things to dive into but nowadays .. I’m a motivationless husk of an individual

sounds like depression actually dude. go see a psych for a bit and try to get it sorted

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Agreeing it sounds a lot like depression. I take meds for mine but I still need to find a therapist at some point soon.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah theres always some new thing to focus on. the world is a lot bigger than a human life has time to dig into. it's a bottomless pit my friend

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

your perception is a piece of poo poo

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

sounds like depression actually dude. go see a psych for a bit and try to get it sorted

please do get the help that you think you need, echi. even if in the end you don't need it, it's good to at least have confirmation one way or another

Beeftweeter posted:

the sky is blue on mars :)

:hai:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

maybe. probably. when I read “driven to distraction”, the book just resonated with me constantly

there’s defo high correlation with adhd and depression, and over the last year or so, I’ve slowly concluded that I am not as smart or special as I once believed, and the reality is that I’ll probably be a perpetual failure, because I can only work on something I find interesting until the inevitable time I find it no longer interesting. crime committer is the latest victim. thrust game next in line

defo need to get my self sorted by a professional rather than self diagnoseses

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

maybe. probably. when I read “driven to distraction”, the book just resonated with me constantly

there’s defo high correlation with adhd and depression, and over the last year or so, I’ve slowly concluded that I am not as smart or special as I once believed, and the reality is that I’ll probably be a perpetual failure, because I can only work on something I find interesting until the inevitable time I find it no longer interesting. crime committer is the latest victim. thrust game next in line

don't sell yourself short man. shrunken heads still can be clever, sunken ships still can hold treasure :)

definitely see a psychiatrist, i think it'd be a big help. i don't take it for depression (nerve pain), but duloxetine is pretty good at banishing that kind of thinking for me anyway

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

echinopsis posted:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

echinopsis posted:

you can have both

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im very smart and a special little boy who deserves a treat

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/akiyoshikitaoka/status/1028473566193315841

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

everything out there exists, but what you experience is your own internal representation of them

this morning’s Nobel prize in physics was given to a group of people that theorized this isn’t true, and then did experiments to prove it. things only exist because you observe them.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

got ADHDD? tell me

A lot of developers I know have ADHD. Quite a few were successful without treatment but nobody who has gotten help regretted it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

echinopsis posted:

got ADHDD? tell me

how often do you do something like heading towards the door to go out, thinking "oh, i should grab my keys", then continue walking out the door keys ungrabbed because you forgot the thought almost as you thought it

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i have ADHD & dysthymic depression and it sucks

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Management posted:

this morning’s Nobel prize in physics was given to a group of people that theorized this isn’t true, and then did experiments to prove it. things only exist because you observe them.

but the tree falling in the forest always has tons of observers assuming that fauna has evolved at that point

water bears at least all going this is our 9/11 and then :tif: like they do with everything

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

how often do you do something like heading towards the door to go out, thinking "oh, i should grab my keys", then continue walking out the door keys ungrabbed because you forgot the thought almost as you thought it

oh lol all the time. usually not keys because “keys wallet phone” (as I slap all three my pockets in succession) is a routine burned into my brain, but everything else yes. I’ve kind of had to learn that if I remember something I need to do I have to act on that thought NOW else I’ll forget

the worst is (for example) when I’m doing a task at work, say pouring out the methadone, and I remember another job that needs to be done so I find myself doing another task without really “deciding” to leave one task and start another. the lack of impulse control loving sucks lol, my work colleagues point out how easily distracted I get

my understanding is that, neurologically, adhd is a lack of dopamine in the reward pathway, so the brain is seeking something to stimulate it, and then it sometimes finds something it likes and can hyperfocus on it, until it no longer provides satisfaction. and stimulants work because they effectively allow the brain to find reward in almost any task.

Beeftweeter posted:

definitely see a psychiatrist, i think it'd be a big help. i don't take it for depression (nerve pain), but duloxetine is pretty good at banishing that kind of thinking for me anyway

i’m intrigued

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

echinopsis posted:

oh lol all the time. usually not keys because “keys wallet phone” (as I slap all three my pockets in succession) is a routine burned into my brain, but everything else yes. I’ve kind of had to learn that if I remember something I need to do I have to act on that thought NOW else I’ll forget

the worst is (for example) when I’m doing a task at work, say pouring out the methadone, and I remember another job that needs to be done so I find myself doing another task without really “deciding” to leave one task and start another. the lack of impulse control loving sucks lol, my work colleagues point out how easily distracted I get

i am not a medical professional but lol that's me & my adhd described to a fuckin T. get u a psychiatrist appt echi

i'm wholly dependent on telling siri "Remind me on <day> at <time> about <thing>" even medicated (adderall), so it ain't a cure-all, but at least with it i can Concentrate On A Thing when I need to - especially poo poo I'm not interested in but have to do

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i got an adhd diagnosis at 8 so ive been dealing with managing it all my life. part of becoming powerful in my 30s was learning to see it as a strength instead of a flaw. i posted in the other thread about my overactive imagination and my teens and twenties were all about being prescribed ungodly doses of adderall and learning how to “grow up” and “be serious” and it was hell on my body and soul. if i didnt have my breakdown and burnout at 22 and i kept being in stem i absolutely wouldve become some insane reddit incel. i did not have a personality or social skills and i was in school for engineering and i was loving miserable.

i was extremely lucky in that my one approved non stem hobby growing up was music because i was loving robbed of any other kind of artistic or emotional development growing up. i was never taught to process stuff healthily and i was so tweaked out on adderall i just siloed everything and continued to be a quiet math robot.

i took myself off at 22 and had to start from square one in a lot of ways. i graduated high school at 16, college at 20 no mattee what i was always “immature” and the solution was to throw more adderall at it until i did my work and shut up. i had to deal with a harsh, overstimulating world i hadnt seen since i was 8. i had to spend years learning how to be a human starting from nothing and i was a hosed up little sociopath on the way through.

im 34 now and im more powerful than i have ever been. since ive finally developed healthy habits and practices i am happier than i have ever been but its been an intense, crushing amount of work. i have been majorly traumatized every few years of my adult life so it certainly took longer than most but i am so loving proud of the life ive built since then.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

so no i dont mind having vivid daydreams frequently. they remind me im alive and that i can dream again.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

there's a book called "Visual Intelligence: How We Create What We See" by a guy named Hoffman and i highly recommend it. It basically builds up a grammar of how the brain constructs 3D scenes by noting where it fails, using lots of optical illusions. I dont know what the academic community thinks of it but i found it very interesting.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

tk posted:

A lot of developers I know have ADHD. Quite a few were successful without treatment but nobody who has gotten help regretted it.

ding ding ding this is me

for me the biggest problem was executive dysfunction resulting in chronic procrastination. one time i actually ran out of gas on the road because i just didn’t want to pull over and gas up. i had money, I wasn’t in the middle of nowhere, just didn’t want to. that’s one of the most baffling things to explain to people. this of course affected my work performance and was a constant source of struggle and anxiety for years and years. you eventually train yourself that you can only get things done under extreme stress, and it’s incredibly unhealthy to live that way

im on slow release amphetamines daily, now, and every day poo poo is just remarkably easier

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is this thread going to be a cool thread about the biology of perception and cognition, or just a :2bong: thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

unrelated to adhd and more in line with this thread, sometimes i have this extremely profound realization that i have a consciousness and I’m a living being experiencing reality, and it gives me shivers and kind of freaks me out for a while. it’s a little hard to explain and idk if there’s a name for this feeling or if it’s common at all. felt it long before I ever tried drugs