Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Filthy Hans posted:

I've considered your alternative and I'm still in the "M. Night just lazily made a bad movie" camp

you think so huh? I bet you think it's a coincidence that your regdate is exactly two weeks after The Happening was released too. I'm onto you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Phantom Menace discourse but with the twist guy

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i say swears online posted:

The Phantom Menace discourse but with the twist guy

afaik no one that likes the phantom menace claims it is a parody of sci-fi adventure movies

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Riot Bimbo posted:

The Happenig is super good independent of what was intended its legitimately one of the funniest and best in genre

it's so good, I think a lot of people that would love it have avoided it because they cant imagine such a triple-A production could have such perfect bad movie vibes but it's absolutely the equal of Troll 2 / The Room / Plan 9 and deserves just as much esteem

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

it's so good, I think a lot of people that would love it have avoided it because they cant imagine such a triple-A production could have such perfect bad movie vibes but it's absolutely the equal of Troll 2 / The Room / Plan 9 and deserves just as much esteem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT68u_LYj18

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

it's so good, I think a lot of people that would love it have avoided it because they cant imagine such a triple-A production could have such perfect badmovie vibes but it's absolutely the equal of Troll 2 / The Room / Plan 9 and deserves just as much esteem

The thing is, to me Plan 9 really doesnt stand on its own. Yeah it's the famous bad movie but i cant actually watch it more than the one time i have without like, riffs overlaid? The other two have diminishing returns for me too, but I can actually watch The Happening on its own merits, and it's Actually Good, and one of the funnier movies committed to film.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Like there are riff-fodder bad movies people shouldn't miss but the happening is actually 100% no joke better than that poo poo because it's just ready to watch and not enough people realize it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Riot Bimbo posted:

Like there are riff-fodder bad movies people shouldn't miss but the happening is actually 100% no joke better than that poo poo because it's just ready to watch and not enough people realize it

you eyeing my lemon drink?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL2QOlCSNBM

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the crappening

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Not complaining but why has columbo seen a resurgence

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I think if M Night didn't want to be pigeonholed as the twist guy he shouldn't of made four movies in a row with big ol twists in them

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

loving hell

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

I think if M Night didn't want to be pigeonholed as the twist guy he shouldn't of made four movies in a row with big ol twists in them

and elvis shouldn't have gotten involved with a conman if he didn't wanna die on a toilet so I guess sometimes the lesson is be careful what you wish for or you might just make The Happening

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omoUAtiM2Kw

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I'm watching x files for the first time after somehow passing on it growing up. a couple of episodes in and it's pretty dope, though I do kinda roll my eyes a little when Scully keeps being skeptic despite Mulder being right every time.
I miss when shows could just do stand alone episodes, it's a much more chill viewing experience.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I'm watching x files for the first time after somehow passing on it growing up. a couple of episodes in and it's pretty dope, though I do kinda roll my eyes a little when Scully keeps being skeptic despite Mulder being right every time.
I miss when shows could just do stand alone episodes, it's a much more chill viewing experience.

It's a really fantastic show. There's a few stinkers in season 1 like "space" but it never looks back once it hits its stride. Even Robert Patrick does a great job when he shows up

Doesn't hurt that the chemistry between the leads is out of this world. I do get annoyed how often Scully is a damsel in distress but it's also funny how she's a walking encyclopedia

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mastershakeman posted:

It's a really fantastic show. There's a few stinkers in season 1 like "space" but it never looks back once it hits its stride. Even Robert Patrick does a great job when he shows up

Doesn't hurt that the chemistry between the leads is out of this world. I do get annoyed how often Scully is a damsel in distress but it's also funny how she's a walking encyclopedia
She's actually just such a good friend to Mulder that she pretends to be in trouble to give him a win, since he has a psychological need to save women after his sister got kidnapped.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

Not complaining but why has columbo seen a resurgence

I've never seen Columbo but having read this paragraph from its Wikipedia article

quote:

The series' homicide suspects are often affluent members of high society; it has led some critics to see class conflict as an element of each story.[7] Suspects carefully cover their tracks and are initially dismissive of Columbo's circumstantial speech and apparent ineptitude. They become increasingly unsettled as his superficially pestering behavior teases out incriminating evidence.[7] His relentless approach often leads to self-incrimination or outright confession.

yeah I'd say the crossover fanfic comic thing nailed his whole deal pretty well

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wonder how many people are like me and have seen every one-off/motw episode of x-files a million times but never watched any of the overarching plot episodes or movies.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I wonder how many people are like me and have seen every one-off/motw episode of x-files a million times but never watched any of the overarching plot episodes or movies.

the one that has the smoking man do his life story is pretty fun

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

loquacius posted:

I've never seen Columbo but having read this paragraph from its Wikipedia article

you should it's really great

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Apparently the "just one more thing" originated in the Prescription: Murder teleplay when they had a scene that was too short and Columbo had already gone offstage. They were too lazy to rework it, so they just had him come back in and say that.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Was the happening the one with mark wahlberg and there's a big misty fog

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Justin Tyme posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1PK4qYzNkI

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

as with all things, people are nostalgic for the daytime crime drama reruns they watched as a kid and columbo is extremely good, versus something like quincy m.e. which is, uh, harder to revisit

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Mulder jumps to conclusions a lot. He'll be right that it's a supernatural thing but wrong about what particular thing it is. When I was young I empathized more with Mulder but as an adult re-watching I empathize more with Scully's slower, more deliberate approach.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

josh04 posted:

as with all things, people are nostalgic for the daytime crime drama reruns they watched as a kid and columbo is extremely good, versus something like quincy m.e. which is, uh, harder to revisit

Man, that Rockford Files theme though

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

loquacius posted:

yeah I'd say the crossover fanfic comic thing nailed his whole deal pretty well

He is very fun to parody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnDe2u5M7e8

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oh man, this looks funny enough that I'm starting to come around to the idea that the comedy tone is a valid interpretation of the film.

Same with The Wicker Man (2006). Cage's descent into comedic misogyny is 100% intentional and loving hilarious

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

the happening also has a very funny scene where a child is shot

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

it also helped to kill the career of Zoey Deschanel, I’ll say without any support whatsoever.

good movie

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

im personally waiting for book of henry and serenity (2019) to be added to the bad movie canon. both total bangers

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Serenity (2019) goes hard.

Best to go in blind though.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

book of henry is a real trip

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

josh04 posted:

book of henry is a real trip

Hehehe Can't remember, did the mother actually go through with Assassination?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Justin Tyme posted:

The Mist was the one with Thomas Jane and there's a big misty fog

much better flick than The Happening, this thread is loco sometimes

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
the mist had a better twist at the end too

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hot Karl Marx posted:

the mist had a better twist at the end too

oh yeah, that was a real dagger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Mist is a solid little movie but the monster design is bad imo

In the mouth of madness is the superior Lovecraftian small town everybody dies movie