Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

All three games are anime and everyone who plays them is an anime lover.

The party in XBC1 also doesn't hold a candle to the new crew. The game forgets half of them Exist by chapter 10 in xbc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If you're Reyn, Sharla or Dunban you don't exist past Jade Face

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Ok, looking forward to it and I’ll continue to push through. Again, it’s not that I’m not enjoying the game (I am), I was just expecting much more. Looking back, it’s the extremely thick exposition that the consuls lay on that’s really grating (think one even jokes about not having to explain something at one point), and the fight scenes bug the hell out of me specific to how they’re directed (same is true in movies where adversaries sit back waiting for their cue). Just asked my kids if they picked up in the 10 year lifespan still setting in and they too thought that was gone when the flame clocks were destroyed, kinda odd all we all missed it.

Make sure you don't try and wrap up chapter 5 right before bed, many of us have tried and paid the price (of staying up until like 4am).

Prowler
May 24, 2004

XB1 has great characters without great character development. It really becomes the Shulk, Melia, and Seven show after a while, mostly because they are the most important characters to the plot by far.

XB3 has a somewhat similar problem--Noah and Mio are obviously the most fleshed out and complete characters--as you would expect from the leads. However, being introduced to all the characters from basically the start, having a full party shortly after that, group discussions, much more voiced dialog, named characters that interact with other named characters in the world (even having voiced scenes for things not related to the main story)--just to name a few important choices--helps with character development and growth immensely. Many quests specifically have certain party members lead the conversation or action--so everyone gets a chance to shine without generic "This is the way!" responses to quests.

Eunie and Taion are able to get some decent character growth outside of the main story. Lanz is consistently able to be more than a one-note character (and is given moments of brilliance that are logical and not the standard "jock knows theoretical physics out of no where" cliche). Sena.

If you ignore the hero and hero ascension quests, you'll miss out on quite a bit of this.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dirk the Average posted:

A few useful things:

You only get class points from enemies that are no lower than 5ish levels below you - if you overlevel via sidequesting, you won't be advancing your classes or unlocking new classes until you go and fight enemies around your level. Once you beat the game, you can level up and level down, but until then you're at the mercy of how much you explore.

This is partially true. You always get CP from killing enemies, although the amount diminishes significantly if you are a higher level than the enemies. The CP you get from enemies more than five levels below you doesn’t go toward unlocking classes, so you won’t be able to unlock say Flash Fencer on anybody but Noah if you are lv 20 fighting lv 14 enemies.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Reik posted:

Make sure you don't try and wrap up chapter 5 right before bed, many of us have tried and paid the price (of staying up until like 4am).

I did get to the City last night and it does feel like the game has opened up very well specific to the story, and the cutscenes so far have been very innocent and cute.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Even in main cutscenes, Eunie got a whole lot of love and a whole character arc to herself

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Prowler posted:

If you ignore the hero and hero ascension quests, you'll miss out on quite a bit of this.

I don't know why you would choose to skip the best story bits in the game.

If anyone is avoiding these or skipping them. Don't.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Louisgod posted:

I did get to the City last night and it does feel like the game has opened up very well specific to the story, and the cutscenes so far have been very innocent and cute.

The scene where they see and touch a baby for the first time is absolutely incredible. Everything up until the City was good but going there throws you a curveball and makes you realize that maybe the plot of the game wasn’t what you thought!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The scene where they see and touch a baby for the first time is absolutely incredible. Everything up until the City was good but going there throws you a curveball and makes you realize that maybe the plot of the game wasn’t what you thought!

Yeah that one especially was very sweet and a welcomed tender moment. The story up to this point has felt like an odd sense of wandering through generic locations with the occasional Mobius barrier so the change in scenery is welcome.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Omobono posted:

It's even worse than that.
Superbosses are straight up immune to that debuff. :shepicide:

Monolith "Game Balance Is My Passion" Soft

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

1 also has a lot of dead airtime with nothing happening, the end of Xord up well into Makna (and even then Makna is pretty slow).

You mean the parts where you actually play the game?

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Regarding XBC1, I kinda enjoyed Riki’s sideplot of being a dad who has to figure a way to feed his 13 children or something.

That and Frontier Village being corrupt as all hell despite being so cute was just amusing, when doing a shitton of sidequests there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The weirdest thing has gotta be playing a Xeno game without an Uzuki to make everything worse.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Plenty of Vandhams though!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

QuantaStarFire posted:

Plenty of Vandhams though!

Not Enough Vandhams :colbert:

Every game needs at least 3 vandhams, like xc3 does.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MonsieurChoc posted:

The weirdest thing has gotta be playing a Xeno game without an Uzuki to make everything worse.

Dunban is basically Jin Uzuki so it’s fine

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Guernica is the only Vandham I met so far and he owned.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
I know this discussion is a bit played out but I'm replaying Definitive Edition right now after beating 3 (I'll probs play 2 after) and I'd say the characters are all serviceable and steady but not too developed or interesting personality-wise. I'm sure this is not a popular opinion but Dunban, Melia and Riki are the only characters I haven't found boring at some point in the game. Honestly, there might even be some colony side characters in XC3 that I care about more than most of the cast in XC1.

e: I should clarify I haven't done too many of the H2Hs but the characters in the main story are still lacking in XC1.

Giggy fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 19, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you're Reyn, Sharla or Dunban you don't exist past Jade Face

To be fair, there isn't much game past that point.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Did Xenoblade 1 have a Vandham? I don't remember one, but it's been a while.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WrightOfWay posted:

Did Xenoblade 1 have a Vandham? I don't remember one, but it's been a while.

The colony 9 captain guy's name was changed from Vandham in the localization. The yelly one with the big moustache.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah it's like Vandarre in English.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Melia’s dad is the Vandham

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Supremezero posted:

(Late chapter 5/6 plot details) There's technically at least 5 if you count Noah and N, right?

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 19, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Guernica is the only Vandham I met so far and he owned.

You’re in for a… surprise.

Manoueverable posted:

(Late chapter 5/6 plot details) There's technically at least 5 if you count Noah and N, right?

What

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Manoueverable posted:

Am I glad someone else had that thought during that cutscene.
But no, I don't think they count. (Chapter 6) It was the previous City, not the current one.

(Chapter 6) Both Manoueverable and I thought that Noah was the first Vandham during the flashback cutscene. It would have fit the game's themes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Omobono posted:

Am I glad someone else had that thought during that cutscene.
But no, I don't think they count. (Chapter 6) It was the previous City, not the current one.

(Chapter 6) Both Manoueverable and I thought that Noah was the first Vandham during the flashback cutscene. It would have fit the game's themes.

Oh okay phew I thought I missed something crazy.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
It seems to me that the implication is still (Chapter 6) that Noah and Mio's son and his descendants make up the House Vandham line, which would make them and/or N/M, depending on how you slice it, the progenitors. It really can't be that much of a coincidence.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 20, 2022

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Manoueverable posted:

It seems to me that the implication is still (Chapter 6) that Noah and Mio's son and his descendants make up the House Vandham line, which would make them and/or N/M, depending on how you slice it, the progenitors. It really can't be that much of a coincidence.

there's a post game thing where, iirc, Nia says that the Vandham family had already helped her out in XC2, which doesn't really make sense unless they're all related. If that's actually true and their kid is the Vandham founder then either Mio is Vandham's daughter or she's not Nia's daughter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I stumbled unto the dlc character and huh…

This 2 stuff, with the blades?

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
I kinda hope that the dlc story is an epilogue because I wanna see what Mio's true blade form and weapon is. We know that Eunie's blade in a past life was a gun instead of the gunrod she uses, so blade weapons can change from life to life. The Twin Rings Mio uses seem much too aligned with Agnus in design to be her true weapon in the real world.

Cammuravi by contrast seems to be a blade using his blade weapon and some partial manifestation of the clothing/armor he would be summoned with mixed with Agnian armor.

Really I want the most sugary sweet romantic scene as Noah and Mio reunite, thousands of years of twu wuv racing through their heads.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Sylvian Wastes posted:

I kinda hope that the dlc story is an epilogue because I wanna see what Mio's true blade form and weapon is. We know that Eunie's blade in a past life was a gun instead of the gunrod she uses, so blade weapons can change from life to life. The Twin Rings Mio uses seem much too aligned with Agnus in design to be her true weapon in the real world.

Cammuravi by contrast seems to be a blade using his blade weapon and some partial manifestation of the clothing/armor he would be summoned with mixed with Agnian armor.

Really I want the most sugary sweet romantic scene as Noah and Mio reunite, thousands of years of twu wuv racing through their heads.

Not just that, Eunie's blade is the same gun in flashbacks as well, and we know Sena gets suggested to just swap to a gun as well; people can swap blade weapons early on in life, all their weapons are just the ones that they picked and trained with for years.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I stumbled unto the dlc character and huh…

This 2 stuff, with the blades?

Yes she is like 100% a 2 reference mostly regarding Tora and Poppi

Update to further cement this claim i finished her ascension quest and the final battle used the xc2 battle theme

Bakalakadaka fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 22, 2022

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
Hey, so after you do Ino’s ascension quest and complete her inoswap grid and fully upgrade the HD ether cylinder; go back to the the nopon caravan she hangs out at when she's not in your party and talk to her for some funny dialogue.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There was a small update but I don’t know what it did

Edit: to clarify, the patch notes are incredibly vague.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There was a small update but I don’t know what it did

Edit: to clarify, the patch notes are incredibly vague.

Big spoilers:

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

RuBisCO posted:

Big spoilers:

No, there was a 1.2.1 update like two days ago. Not sure what that one fixed.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Killed another Consul back at Colony 9, that battler theme still kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I think I've met the Uzuki: Teach is giving me less-assholish Citan vibes.