Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I knew a guy who was a massive KU homer who during the '08 title game screamed CHALMERS! when he hit that late shot that scared his prganant sister-in-law so bad she went into labor

Gave the kid "Mario" as a middle name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I would say no, Stetson Bennett wouldn’t lead UGA back from 18 down, though Jake Fromm* led UGA back from 17 down against Oklahoma so who knows

* and by “Jake Fromm” I mean “OU’s clown car run defense”

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So we are in agreement that Bryce Young is a better QB and Bama is the better team. Let’s just skip the hassle and drop that ol’ trophy off at UPS. They know where to send it. :v:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

D.N. Nation posted:

I would say no, Stetson Bennett wouldn’t lead UGA back from 18 down, though Jake Fromm* led UGA back from 17 down against Oklahoma so who knows

* and by “Jake Fromm” I mean “OU’s clown car run defense”

That drat Rose Bowl is gonna go down as OU's Lost Cause. Sooner fans will be wailing and gnashing their teeth about it for decades to come

*wistfully* "...the defense will rise again"

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Soul Glo posted:

I cannot get over that Hyatt had six catches for 5 TD's and 200 yards

Nebraska WR Trey Palmer played in a game with pretty much the same overall talent level and national relevance as the Alabama-Tennessee game. Palmer's stats:

Seven catches for 237 yards (33.9 ypr)
Two touchdowns
One carry for another 60 yards

He was the first player in FBS to have over 225 yard receiving and over 50 yards rushing in the same game in the Twentieth Century. The 237 yards is the all-time Nebraska single-game receiving record.

Somehow this was not good enough to be Big Ten offensive player of the week. Instead one of the co-winners was Chase Brown, who had 180 yards on 41 carries (4.3 ypc). I guess your team has to win to be the Big Ten *PoW.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Grittybeard posted:

Since we never get what we expect I'm calling for this game to end up with a score of 42-40, and I'd be really interested to see how Iowa got to either side of that in my imagined future.

I genuinely can’t fathom Iowa scoring 40 here. The only proven issue on this defense is 50/50 balls with the corners, which Iowa’s not throwing.

Now, if you tell me Stroud forces the ball into some bad windows or gets hurt and makes Kyle McCord go out there? Yeah that might mean Ohio State scores 21. Still unlikely but possible. Iowa’s going to drop 8 all game though, so can’t see the QB really taking hits.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If anyone could hold Ohio State under 30, it’s Iowa, though I don’t think it will matter.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ohio state is going to use this year to get revenge for the one time we beat them bad by beating us 70-14

The 14 is an intentional safety, an unintentional safety, a long field goal and a fumble recovery for a touchdown

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I told y'all Hooker was gonna be very drat good. So happy for him after the way Fu treated him.

Amazing to get a W against Bama for the first time since I became a fan during my grad school.

Hokies still bad, but kinda showing some signs of hope?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Grittybeard posted:

Since we never get what we expect I'm calling for this game to end up with a score of 42-40, and I'd be really interested to see how Iowa got to either side of that in my imagined future.

Twenty safeties.

The real question would be how many are intentional.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Ohio state is going to use this year to get revenge for the one time we beat them bad by beating us 70-14

The 14 is an intentional safety, an unintentional safety, a long field goal and a fumble recovery for a touchdown

31-13

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

Lmao, Day is out here describing 2017 Iowa-OSU as a scar that doesn’t go away when there are 3 total guys on the roster from back then. I would really really appreciate not having to sweat this one out, and my hope is that the lack of Greg Schiano and Urban in the building helps. We don’t seem to do the dumb “lose to 3rd tier Big Ten team” type thing since Urban got out and we started using actual quarterbacks.

I was at the Husker bar for the Northwestern/Nebraska game where Nebraska lost in OT without scoring. I was so pissed off until they switched to Iowa/OSU and it all just vanished at seeing Iowa putting a beating on OSU.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Are there any iowa fans still posting here? MV was an iowa fan right?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Coach_Leach/status/1582818900856606720

TMZ posted:

Sam Westmoreland, a Mississippi State University football player, has died unexpectedly ... the school announced on Wednesday. He was 18 years old -- and only two days away from his 19th birthday.

No cause of death was revealed.

"My prayers are with Sam's family and friends," MSU president Mark E. Keenum said in a statement, "with his MSU teammates and coaches, and with the Tupelo community during this most difficult time."

Westmoreland joined the school's football team this year after a stellar career at Tupelo H.S. in Miss. The 6-foot-4, 260-pound freshman offensive lineman had yet to play in a game.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Harvey Updike thinking proactively this year

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Dango Bango posted:

I was at the Husker bar for the Northwestern/Nebraska game where Nebraska lost in OT without scoring. I was so pissed off until they switched to Iowa/OSU and it all just vanished at seeing Iowa putting a beating on OSU.

It’s the angriest I have ever been at a game in my entire life, and I’m a combo Guardians/Cavs fan for gods sake.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

dirty shrimp money posted:

A little late but I put together a dirty shrimp poll. I'm on vacation for two weeks on Friday so no polls for a couple of weeks. By then I think we'll have a CFP poll to compare this to -

Since you're about to ask, improvements in strengths of schedule kept Bama and Penn State where they were.
Georgia Tech above Notre Dame, a fine poll.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Harv’s dead so it shouldn’t be a going concern. I saw one person positing that given how they were handling it this may have been by his own hand or a possible OD or something.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

downout posted:

Are there any iowa fans still posting here? MV was an iowa fan right?

Yep, I’m here. I think it’s just me though.

That Iowa/Ohio State game is probably #2 on my list of best games I’ve been to. My dad and I had season tickets all through my childhood and it was the last game we went to before he got too sick to go. We almost didn’t go because we went to a truly awful Iowa/Minnesota game earlier that year that was rainy and grey and awful but we went and every time we scored I would turn to him like “this feels fake, someone is pranking us” until the 4th quarter when it became clear there would be no comeback. A perfect football game.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
UNLV got destroyed yet again. Sucks that now all eyes are on the Hawaii and Reno games in order to squeak to 6 wins. I like the plan to not try with the Notre Dame game and give more time for Brumfield to heal. Baby steps I guess

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

A high school classmate of mine had a baby boy on Saturday and his name is Hooker. Serious post

He is predestined to play exactly one position in rugby

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Lessail posted:

UNLV got destroyed yet again. Sucks that now all eyes are on the Hawaii and Reno games in order to squeak to 6 wins. I like the plan to not try with the Notre Dame game and give more time for Brumfield to heal. Baby steps I guess

You guys may beat ND the way they’ve been playing.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

LeeMajors posted:

You guys may beat ND the way they’ve been playing.

Very doubtful since we're in a tailspin right now. If it was another MW opponent I could maybe see pulling off an upset to right the ship, but ND is asking too much

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

News: Got a couple of Homefield shirts

Views:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I have the one that’s the Slippery Rock rock mascot in a fur coat.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Dr_Strangelove posted:

News: Got a couple of Homefield shirts

Views:

That’s the good poo poo.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

General Dog posted:

I got Ennui Husky, a Rainbow Warriors one, a Cincy one with the 50s-ish Bearcat that looks like a bear arching it's back like a hissing cat, and a UC Irvine one with the anteater surfing that says "SURF'S UP" that I like to wear on mondays because it looks way more cheery and upbeat than I feel.

Expensive as hell shirts, but godDAMN are they comfy.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

"GO, YOU SILVER BRITCHES" was 14-1 last season

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s me, the shameful guy who hasn’t bought anything from Homefield because my school is the University of Nike. Need to get my dad some of the Oregon State stuff though.

Was listening to Bomani Jones’ podcast and Spencer Hall was on talking college football, the topic of the Vols being back came up, and with it an analysis of “Rocky Top” - the punchline being it’s like if some school used this for their fight song:

https://youtu.be/TjWAWcx4xdE

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

General Dog posted:

I'm 100 percent sure that the overwhelming majority of Slippery Rock stuff is sold to people who have heard of it and not much else. I don't even remember anyone on campus wearing anything.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

I'm 100 percent sure that the overwhelming majority of Slippery Rock stuff is sold to people who have heard of it and not much else. I don't even remember anyone on campus wearing anything.

I imagine it’s mostly going to Michigan fans.

I got myself the UC Irvine anteater playing basketball because I love anteaters and it rules. Then my girlfriend went overboard and almost bought me three more Irvine shirts before I talked her down to a more reasonable two for a school I’ve never been to.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Sash! posted:

I bought one because my dad's cousin taught there for a long time, so I at least have a distant connection. I was surprised to actually see it listed, it was an impulse buy when looking for Kentucky stuff.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Huh, I wonder if he was related to Vietnam era general William Westmorland. If so, he would have been a distant in-law.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1583133747452710912?s=20&t=jWfbHfjzL4bCv5O2Jvhadg

Very cool

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I'm surprised Oklahoma hasn't gotten into the sec mindset and schedule a fcs team in week 11. San Diego should be a great destination game I just wish it was a true home/home series instead of a 2 for 1.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I'm surprised Oklahoma hasn't gotten into the sec mindset and schedule a fcs team in week 11. San Diego should be a great destination game I just wish it was a true home/home series instead of a 2 for 1.

OU has done a lot of these 2-and-1s with midmajors recently: Tulsa twice, Tulane (before the hurricane moved the away game to Norman), and now this.

Regarding the SEC mindset, thought this reply was pretty funny:

https://twitter.com/Samsmit88258255/status/1583134470362005504?s=20&t=j8fM3ubKWarLiNDTgTNoBQ

That's right, SEC teams barely go on the road to play anyone OOC

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Judgy Fucker posted:

That's right, SEC teams barely go on the road to play anyone OOC

Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Georgia have annual OOC rivalry games. And I feel like the early season stuff has gotten way better than it had been.

A lot of the non-SEC P5 has a pretty poo poo OOC schedule, honestly.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

It was a mostly tongue-in-cheek comment.

Though doesn’t Florida have some crazy streak of not playing an OOC game outside of the State of Florida?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LLCoolJD posted:

Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Georgia have annual OOC rivalry games. And I feel like the early season stuff has gotten way better than it had been.

A lot of the non-SEC P5 has a pretty poo poo OOC schedule, honestly.

LSU has played @UCLA, @Texas and @FSU just since 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Just about everyone in the SEC seems to roughly adhere this non-con structure:

-one P5 home-and-home or neutral site (ACC rivalry games go here)
-two home games against G5
-one FCS