Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Are there any 1v1 fps games that are like sniper duels? Man, that'd be so fun.

2fort :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I rushed to this thread because I've been on an old fps kick lately, doing a run through of UT99 campaign (and drilling in instagib matches so I can land hitscan shots in tf2, didn't work) and getting cultic a few days after release because I missed blood the first time and I wasn't gonna have that happen again. It's honestly loving sweet and possibly a masterpiece when you realized it was a single guy. Great purchase, glad I did it. I have a feeling the speedruns are gonna be siiiick.

Anyway, booted up a physical copy (!) of UT 2004 and it's kinda great too; the weapons have a good feel to them, if not quite as iconic as the first one but above all I honestly prefer the level design for deathmatches seeing as I can both see AND generally find people. I don't think I'm gonna suffer through the single player though. The whole team management crap is just that and your teammate AI is garbage. Even 99 had better bot reactions. A lot of milling around and staring off into space while red team takes the point 5 feet behind them in domination. Just frustrating. And I'm kinda over CTF as a format

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ut99 absolutely pwns. one of the best games of all time

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

UT99 still owns and will forever own

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

UT99 still owns and will forever own

gently caress yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPqxWd8yvWE

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The new morpheus in 2k4 was a huge let down

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I prefer Quake 3 to UT but both are still the best arena shooters ever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

I prefer Quake 3 to UT but both are still the best arena shooters ever.

I preferred UT in the day (and still honestly do) but I think I liked a lot of quake's deathmatch levels more? They just felt better for duels. I'm not sure anything in quake is as bad as fetid sewer

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Woolie Wool posted:

I think hitscanners telegraphing their attacks is as important as any of these.

I feel like Serious Sam is an interesting example of this: In the original games, the hitscanner enemy was the arachnid chaingunner, which came in two flavors: both slow, often placed in elevated positions where they couldn't approach the player, announced themselves with a distinct scream, and whose volleys were preceded by a predictable wind-up.

Then Serious Sam BFE came in, ignored most of this design, and gave a bunch of enemies hitscan attacks and subsequently pissed a bunch of people off.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
UT99 definitely has a certain magic that none of the follow-ups were able to capture, although I like all of them to some degree. Obviously 2K3 was kind of a huge letdown to the extent that it was essentially replaced by 2K4 entirely; I feel like they never really recovered from that blunder. It kind of poisoned the well, even though 2K4 is pretty great, in a vacuum.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I don't think I could ever divorce myself of a potent nostalgia for UT'99, which remains one of my favorite games of all time. UT2k4--even with all of its improvements over the imperfect UT2k3--had no chance of usurping the original...and I love UT2k4. But UT'99 just existed at a perfect time and place for me, and the relative accessibility of the modding tools supplied it with (what felt like) an endless source of community content that UT2k3 & 2k4 could never quite match.

That being said, I have to mention the Ballistic Weapons family of mods for UT2k4 whenever the subject comes up, which provided a sublime set of weapons & tools that were more lovingly modeled and animated than a lot of commercially produced contemporary games.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 19, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love the big team matches in 2004. Had a lot of fun playing with it back in the day due to being one of the only newer games that worked on my Mac at the time.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the UT games after 99 felt like they had shifted a bit towards quake (and a bit towards halo) in an attempt to cover all bases. what I liked in UT99 over quake 3 was the feel of the movement and pacing of the combat, which made it a bit better for the team gamemodes. quake 3 CTF and such always felt to me like it just devolved into an absolute clusterfuck because of the small size of the map and high speed of the players. personally I like objective modes better than deathmatch, but i think quake 3 had the better pure deathmatch experience and deathmatch levels.

i forget who did it but theres an absolutely intolerable TED talk by a guy from epic where he talks about how they messed up Facing Worlds when they remade it for 2k3/4 by putting too much art in so players got lost, which is why it was much less popular.

what he doesnt mention is that they also made the map 4x loving bigger, which does something to the flow of a map. its just this completely asinine argument and he makes it so smugly

the other thing missing from 99 in later games is the absolutely loving banging music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9TJmLrJEzM

i really miss every level having a distinct music track in games, i am pretty over reactive music at this point

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

cuc posted:

From the "how to make art with Among Us" meme:
https://twitter.com/Danlex_DW/status/1581969818106097665

Obligatory "I dunno, seems pretty sus".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the UT games after 99 felt like they had shifted a bit towards quake (and a bit towards halo) in an attempt to cover all bases. what I liked in UT99 over quake 3 was the feel of the movement and pacing of the combat, which made it a bit better for the team gamemodes. quake 3 CTF and such always felt to me like it just devolved into an absolute clusterfuck because of the small size of the map and high speed of the players. personally I like objective modes better than deathmatch, but i think quake 3 had the better pure deathmatch experience and deathmatch levels.

i forget who did it but theres an absolutely intolerable TED talk by a guy from epic where he talks about how they messed up Facing Worlds when they remade it for 2k3/4 by putting too much art in so players got lost, which is why it was much less popular.

what he doesnt mention is that they also made the map 4x loving bigger, which does something to the flow of a map. its just this completely asinine argument and he makes it so smugly

the other thing missing from 99 in later games is the absolutely loving banging music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9TJmLrJEzM

i really miss every level having a distinct music track in games, i am pretty over reactive music at this point

I used to love face back in the day but I've grown sour on CTF over the years and anyways it was always generally won by whoever had the better snipers, which is far and away my least favorite fps weapon/class/role. Too many games just end up in long grinding stalemates in overtimes that last forever.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i love ut99 but i never really messed with any mod stuff. is there anything super neat ppl recommend?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

An Actual Princess posted:

i love ut99 but i never really messed with any mod stuff. is there anything super neat ppl recommend?

Chaos UT was a pretty big mod that added a lot of high quality stuff, it got print coverage at the time because it was fairly rare then for mods for a current-gen game to have such good quality assets without ruining the game's performance

there was another megamod (unreal tournament forever?) that added a load of weapons and custom characters with special per-class abilities that I loved as a kid, but the assets were of wildly varying quality and some of the weapons were just very poorly balanced.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Milo and POTUS posted:

I preferred UT in the day (and still honestly do) but I think I liked a lot of quake's deathmatch levels more? They just felt better for duels. I'm not sure anything in quake is as bad as fetid sewer

That was always the difference- Q3 had better DM, but UT had more than DM. I don’t think Q3 had an officially supported CTF mode until the expansion, it was all mods before then (which is why the maps felt like they didn’t fit)

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Chaos UT was a pretty big mod that added a lot of high quality stuff, it got print coverage at the time because it was fairly rare then for mods for a current-gen game to have such good quality assets without ruining the game's performance

there was another megamod (unreal tournament forever?) that added a load of weapons and custom characters with special per-class abilities that I loved as a kid, but the assets were of wildly varying quality and some of the weapons were just very poorly balanced.

In addition to these, if you've got the tactical shooter bug, there's Tactical Ops, which seems like a Counterstrike knockoff on the surface but gets way weirder with UT's physics and movement (also all the bullets are fast projectiles iirc).
Also there's Night's Edge which legit is a CS rip, but a cyberpunk inspired one (and, again, messes with the formula via things like Cyberware mods).
And also my favorite: Infiltration. Arguably the granddaddy of games like Operation Flashpoint, this is one of those tactical mods but with the realism dial cranked to 11: you need to iron sight to shoot accurately, your loadout affects movement speed due to weight, your weapons take up physical space in the world and will get hung up on surfaces (and can also be supported on them for reduced recoil), it's a good time. Incidentally, it's compatible with OldUnreal, allowing you to potentially play through Unreal like you're a member of SG1 or something.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

An Actual Princess posted:

Yeah ChaosUT is one of the most recognizable and polished mods, and I WANT to say it's included as part of the UT'99 Game of the Year Edition. Great mod with a number of new assets, mutators, weapons, maps, and gamemodes.

The other mod you're talking about is Unreal4Ever which introduces a TON of crazy new weapons, character models, classes, and assets: Sawed off shotguns, a thermonuclear doll that walks around before exploding, a drunk missile launcher, a bow with like 8 different types of ridiculous arrowheads, a dart rifle that turns targets into living bombs, a freeze ray, an upgradeable phaser, etc.--just a ton of wild stuff. The class can be added via mutators and give each U4E character their own stats, default weapons, and abilities. So the Devil has a bit more health and moves a bit slower, but he's immune to lava/fire and starts with claws, the ability to throw fireballs, and perform a lava "butt slam" special attack; Zhal the cockroach might have less health, but he can jump higher than normal, has a quiet sniper rifle and gas grenades, and turns invisible if motionless for long enough., etc. It's really ridiculous and adds several more layers of chaos to gamemodes they're used in.

Tally Ho! is a custom game mode that can use ordinary maps. Instead of killing each other, all of the players/bots need to kill Unreal monsters that randomly spawn in the map. You get points for killing enemies and special bosses, and can also collect bounties on other players that have killed their fellow hunters. It's a completely chaotic race to the highest score.

There was also a freeze tag mod that worked great with the Bot AI and was an interesting twist on team deathmatch, but I haven't been able to find a copy of it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Grew up playing UT99, and to a lesser extent ut2k3/4. The variety of maps on UT99, along with the mountain of custom content you could download blew my 12 year old mind!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Grew up playing UT99, and to a lesser extent ut2k3/4. The variety of maps on UT99, along with the mountain of custom content you could download blew my 12 year old mind!

We've talked about it before, but it was brutal being on dial-up until 2004. After multiple failed attempts to download TacticalOps overnight, it was fun to discover that the bots weren't particularly good with the custom game (no surprise in retrospect) and I might as well have spent that 8 hours downloading, I don't know, 100 MBs of that dancing baby animation.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

We've talked about it before, but it was brutal being on dial-up until 2004. After multiple failed attempts to download TacticalOps overnight, it was fun to discover that the bots weren't particularly good with the custom game (no surprise in retrospect) and I might as well have spent that 8 hours downloading, I don't know, 100 MBs of that dancing baby animation.

It's why I played so much RTS instead. God I would have loved to have been on the ground floor of the HL mod scene

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

i had the same soul crushing disappointment with the unreal tournament version of team fortress, that i spent forever downloading on my dads computer using a download manager and like several failed attempts, burned it to a cd, then the fuckin bots couldnt play it for poo poo

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Cultic gets bonus points over Prodeus for me cause the cultic dev is cool and listens to feedback on the steam forums while the Prodeus devs completely ignore a semi active suggestion thread that's been going on for 2 years to give the simple option to remove vignette.
Dear jesus I'm so nitpicky with visuals and it's distracting me from having fun. I keep noticing the heavy aliasing on all the weapons and oh my god why can't I turn off this lens dirt

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I liked Dusk a lot, and I think I like Cultic even more.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

i had the same soul crushing disappointment with the unreal tournament version of team fortress, that i spent forever downloading on my dads computer using a download manager and like several failed attempts, burned it to a cd, then the fuckin bots couldnt play it for poo poo

Was that Unreal4Ever Fortress? https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal4ever-fortress Yeah the bots were complete poo poo at it, which is understandable. It was another ambitious UT'99 mod that I added to the pile of things the bots couldn't figure out, like Infiltration, TacOps, FEBA, and NeoCairo--but that I definitely fantasized about getting to work somehow. Very sad.

EDIT: Now that I'm digging around and being reminded of things, I want to say that they did alright with Night's Edge https://www.moddb.com/mods/nights-edge, which was a sort of Counter-Strike type gamemode with absurdly polished weapon models and animations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIbyp5ohTEQ but maybe I'm misremembering the Bot AI thing.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 20, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Nobody talking about bombing run smh

2k4 was a lot of fun at its base and had a bonkers number of weird mods and mutators. There was a super monkey ball mod I'm pretty sure. My friends and I had a lot of fun with a medieval weapons kind of one too

The translocator sucks rear end though. I hated that thing

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I was a fiend for an overloaded 4-team UT'99 domination map with 4 or 5 control points--just a constant, down-to-the-wire score tug-of-war. I wasn't as big of a fan of UT2k3/4's "Double Domination" twist on the formula, which is the cardinal sin for which I will never forgive them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've probably mentioned it in here before but on the site that tracked UT99 stats back then I had the most headshots because I had broadband and on Facing Worlds it'd take people on dial-up a half second to start moving when they'd spawn in.

I could listen to that track forever.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've probably mentioned it in here before but on the site that tracked UT99 stats back then I had the most headshots because I had broadband and on Facing Worlds it'd take people on dial-up a half second to start moving when they'd spawn in.

I could listen to that track forever.

freakin' LPB :argh:

Also, the best track in UT99 was Mechanism Eight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ9xJw4JF68

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 20, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I played more single player in UT99 than multiplayer, and then the inverse for UT2K4.

I loved the assault mode, and whatever mode it was where you had to take over connected bases in order to win. Core something? Anyway, my favourite map overall might be the mansion one, which I believe was an assault map. Goddamn that map was nice and really made me feel like I was there.

I remember playing it in my room after school on a snowy afternoon, and it was just so very perfect :3:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I just realized Lunar Apocalypse is a pun based on lunar eclipse.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I loved the assault mode, and whatever mode it was where you had to take over connected bases in order to win.

Onslaught :)

UT 2004 was just plain old good fun.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/InsiderGamingIG/status/1583082074994450432

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I have no idea whether this site has any cred with rumors or whatever, but:

For those too lazy to click, the rumor sources say that it's a three-man-squad extraction-shooter (think Hunt Showdown or Tarkov, but probably not as hardcore as the latter) that'll be live-service as hell.

Weird.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Kins posted:

I have no idea whether this site has any cred with rumors or whatever, but:

For those too lazy to click, the rumor sources say that it's a three-man-squad extraction-shooter (think Hunt Showdown or Tarkov, but probably not as hardcore as the latter) that'll be live-service as hell.

Weird.
Sony explicitly said they bought Bungie in order to get into live service games, so it makes sense at least.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Wow bizarre. Could potentially spell bad news for Aleph One stuff too, new game means a new need to defend the copyright. I hope they wouldn’t be that dumb since even id can see that legacy community content is a selling point but uh. Trying to shoehorn a live service game into a dead series from the mid 90s is extremely dumb to begin with

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is exactly what Sony wanted Bungie to make, and apparently what Bungie wanted to make so <shrugs> I just won't play this dogshit rear end sounding game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The new way it's being revived is Marathon Jetski Racing for Android and Iphone