Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Alhazred posted:

That's basically what they are in Tolkien's books too.

and then the opposite is true in the witcher, where humans are the invading alien species

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

and then the opposite is true in the witcher, where humans are the invading alien species

That's basically what we are in real life.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Like, the elephant bird was just chilling in Madagascar until some assholes with spears suddenly showed up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Actually everyone except maybe the Gnomes and the Vran are alien invaders. Humans are just the latest.

Because fuuuuuuuuck the Aen Elle and Aen Seidh Elves. Genocidal warmongers strip mining planets.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Alhazred posted:

Like, the $SPECIES was just chilling in $LOCATION until some assholes with spears suddenly showed up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The real alien invader was Tulkas (the other Valar and Morgoth at least had the right of terra nullius) which means professional wrestling is an alien plot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Incredible Tulk versus Macho Manwë and Ulmo the Undertaker

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm going to be giggling off and on all day about Macho Manwë

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Arc Hammer posted:

Well this is pretty much better with every syllable

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sauron rising up from a burning floor like Gangrel

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Arc Hammer posted:

lmao

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

By gawd that's Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo's music!

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

New thread title

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Drakyn posted:

By gawd that's Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo's music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enUgkYN7TFI

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Dangerously close to turning the Silmarillion into reddits hell in a cell meme

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bugblatter posted:

Dangerously close to turning the Silmarillion into reddits hell in a cell meme

Do.... It.....

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

CommonShore posted:

What they could have done for the Hobbit trilogy would have been to make the movies parallel, rather than sequential, and then bring them together for the resolution - perhaps one Bilbo movie, one Thorin movie, and one Gandalf movie.

I am entirely here for Rashomon Hobbit.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

do you guys think there were any half hobbit half men people living in bree? surely it wasn't unheard of

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Shibawanko posted:

do you guys think there were any half hobbit half men people living in bree? surely it wasn't unheard of

they're called dwarves

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

YaketySass posted:

they're called dwarves

All that prattle in the silmarillion about Aulë making dwarves underground was actually just bs because Tolkien was too catholic to tell us dwarves are actually the result of a super hot hobbit and human orgy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean there is no reason to believe the silmarillion account of the dwarves.

I’m sure the dwarves histories were way different

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The reason the dwarves don't tell anyone their own legends is that they are too embarrassing and horny

(that's how you know they are true)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So that's where the runor that Dwarves spring out of holes in the ground comes from. "Hobbits' Holes."

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

YaketySass posted:

they're called dwarves

I've often posited that the reason you never see half elf/half dwarf hybrids in Tolkien knockoff settings is 'cause that would just make a human

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dwarves and elves do not really live together . Maybe some in ancient Eregion . Even then the one half “race “ we have was a special circumstance ordained by the gods

Sorry there are two the second one was a vile experiment by Saruman . But I guess that shows it was defiantly possible

(They were all humans )

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The Elves and Dwarves in Forlindon/Harlindon have lived near one another for millennia. I would not be surprised if Dwarves living outside the mountains lived in proximity to Elves there .

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
I AM GOOD, THANKS FOR ASKING!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You okay, Gandalf?

Better than okay, I'M GOOD

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
He was Gandalf the Good before the others showed up.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Puppy Burner posted:

I AM GOOD, THANKS FOR ASKING!

You can't fool us, Sauron!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Him yelling "I'm Good" actually owned tbh, and i certainly am not a fan of a lot of the piss poor writing that manifested in the last 2 eps.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Here's what I think: the creators of the show clearly know their poo poo back to front; however, to a degree possibly even greater than when Peter Jackson did it, they took concepts that were subtle and nuanced in the source material, and represented them instead very bluntly.

I can go along with that, though I hear more often from people who cannot. It's important to know which kind of viewer you are in order to decide whether and in what spirit to watch it.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I hope the next season starts with all characters explicitly declaring their alignment out loud.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

some of them do. The Dragon Helm of Dor-Lomin shows up on a statue, the entire intro is a Music of the Ainur reference, Finrod's body has claw marks all over it because he was killed by Sauron as a werewolf, etc.

However those people are not always calling the shots because the whole "mithril is needed to keep elves alive" nonsense is extremely stupid and where i went from a big defender of the show to lukewarm on it. If the Stranger is Gandalf that will be another blow.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Interviews with the showrunners indicate that the mithril thing isn't all it seems and that they "trust Elrond" when he's skeptical of the truth of the story.

But overall, I think it's another instance of where the showrunners decided to take a nuanced element of the books and make them blunt. Arguably, elves using Sauron's methods for making rings of power to forestall a more nebulous "fading" that will take millennia is a bit hard to sell to a broad audience in an episodic format. A fading that is months away and visually represented in xenomorph goo is a more urgent and easy-to-communicate pressure.

I'm still curious why that cow in the Southlands had the same black rot as the elven trees.

I think there's no way they haven't condensed Gandalf with the blue wizards who went into the east. It's just too easy a win with general audiences. I would have preferred it if he was just a blue wizard with his own personality, but if he's gonna be an Istari and say Gandalf things, better to just call him Gandalf. At least we get the wizard going into the east narrative anyway.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

i didn't have high hopes for the show but it still managed to disappoint me

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Show was dope, can't wait for next season.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Here's what I think: the creators of the show clearly know their poo poo back to front; however, to a degree possibly even greater than when Peter Jackson did it, they took concepts that were subtle and nuanced in the source material, and represented them instead very bluntly.

I can go along with that, though I hear more often from people who cannot. It's important to know which kind of viewer you are in order to decide whether and in what spirit to watch it.
it was made by 2 clueless mormons recommended by jj abrams to jeff bezos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

it was made by 2 clueless mormons recommended by jj abrams to jeff bezos

Ad hominem attacks are a poor rebuttle.

I don't have the best attitude toward conservative religions. However, in a way, it's a useful background for adapting Middle-Earth. Tolkien was a fairly prudish ultra-religious dude too and it informs his writing heavily.

And beyond that, I'm not sure why their religion should matter to me.