Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWwK3lKxaTw

I'm so glad this video is still on YouTube after all these years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I don’t know why I do this to myself but, I’m in. I’m ready to be excited and like what they’re doing here. Just give me some Steam pages to wishlist and I’m in.

I get that Bloober is a big “ehhh” on the SH2 remake but I’m rooting for them to do it. I don’t see the point in continuously dunking on something that I desperately hope turns out well.

Wanderer posted:

For what it's worth, next week's Signalis might be the most Silent Hill 2 game I've played in years, at least in terms of sheer surreality.

My piece on it went up on Bloody Disgusting yesterday and I'll have a review for it on there next week.

Real talk, I’ve literally never heard of this game until your post but have now wishlisted it based entirely on this. I hope you’re getting a cut of the marketing budget.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Do people in 2022 really still hate SH4?

I thought it was mid when it came out and now I think it's really bad. It's 30% of a good game, but so much of it is phoned in, from the systems, to the animations, puzzles and notes. It also becomes apparent less than halfway through that they ran out of time. The first three games were very consistent experiences, but the second half of SH4 looks like it was made in five months from existing assets.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Wanderer posted:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3736935/signalis-and-the-oppressive-mechanics-of-survival-horror-hands-on-preview-interview/

There's a reference/reveal in the first 15 minutes or so that gives away a big part of Signalis's whole deal if you're a long-time horror fan, and I didn't want to spoil that in the piece. Some other previews out there already have, such as PC Gamer's, so the information is out there, but I got a lot out of that initial "oh... poo poo" realization and I think that's worth preserving.

Clarification: It's a Cthulhu Mythos game, but in a subtle way that requires slight familiarity with the setting/lore and does not feature any of the typical monsters or entities. If you do know that, then the game's storyline makes a certain degree of horrible sense; if you don't, it's going to feel like it's running primarily off dream logic.

More specific clarification: The first third of the game or so is set on an ice planet called "Leng" and it is exactly as bad there as you might think.

There's enough going on with Signalis that it'd be worth starting a spoilers-off thread specifically for it.

Oh that more clarification actually sounds interesting. Spoilers for Apsulov and (spoiling these titles because I am afraid referencing them might in directly spoil Signalis, though pretty much everyone has played this second one) Doom.

I like how Apsulov is basically Doom. But instead of Hell and super, super loose Christian mythology, it’s Norse mythology. Asgard and the other realms of Norse mythology are real, we can open portals to them, and it’s a total loving nightmare. And of course Doom itself (and Event Horizon) where Hell is real, it’s literally another dimension you can open a scientific portal to, and it’s a nightmare. For some reason I just like the idea of “these nightmares are real physical places that you can get to with sci-if technology”. Feels like a more interesting twist than “you are 1920s racist who thinks being part Italian is equally as horrifying as find out you are a fish man.”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sh4 has some neat ideas but terrible execution on most of them. its better than all the post-4 games but thats a low bar.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm also on the team that likes SH4's first half but not its second. It's got a few scenes and scares that have really stuck with me (gently caress you, room with giant Eileen face out of nowhere), and I tend to remember those before I dwell on its failures, but mechanically it's a slog.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2124490/SILENT_HILL_2/

Steam page for Bloober Hill 2 is up

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Endorph posted:

sh4 has some neat ideas but terrible execution on most of them. its better than all the post-4 games but thats a low bar.

The opening teaser animation is scarier than the back half of 4.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/shinimomi/status/1582843435656282112?s=20&t=2c7cyRzviaXHR3CC3RgaDw

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Wishlisted.

At least for now, it feels loving good to see a Steam listing for Silent Hill 2. Now let’s see how it turns out. Strapping myself in.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://youtu.be/lrU_NabHp-c

Still the ultimate Silent Hill trailer.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
F looks rad even if lifting the series out of America seems questionable, Townfall had a neat trailer and I'll choose to harbor optimism, the rest is all dumb nonsense but who cares.

(Is it "forte"? Is it "FFFFFive?")

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

jhorror is the best horror

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electromax posted:

https://youtu.be/lrU_NabHp-c

Still the ultimate Silent Hill trailer.

to this day I wonder why so many of the sfx got changed between this and the last release

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

King of Bleh posted:

F looks rad even if lifting the series out of America seems questionable, Townfall had a neat trailer and I'll choose to harbor optimism, the rest is all dumb nonsense but who cares.

(Is it "forte"? Is it "FFFFFive?")

If you haven't tried Untold Stories or Observation (not to be confused with Bloobers Observer) I would seriously recommend it.

Untold Stories kind of whiffs the ending to me but everything that leads up to it is so good and you might end up liking the ending too.

Observation is a thing of its own. Space weirdness. I really do love how No Code tells stories.

E: also, these aren't "horror" games, not sure how you would label them, but the devs loved that fans described them that way sometimes.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 19, 2022

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the biggest surprise from the stream was finding out apparently Konami's official name for Pyramid Head is "Red Pyramid Thing"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CharlestonJew posted:

the biggest surprise from the stream was finding out apparently Konami's official name for Pyramid Head is "Red Pyramid Thing"

Yeah, Pyramid Head has always been a fan name

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 19, 2022

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Nah, the menus and flavor text call him PH, but the official guides/artbooks and whatnot call him RPT. I think he's red triangle in Japanese or something like that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think he's only named once in-game, if you examine their bodies after the final encounter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, Pyramid Head has always been a fan name

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Can't wait for "In Water" to be the only official ending now.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I mentioned this in the RE thread but while I haven't personally played SH2 yet, I know all the endings. I just have no clue how to get any of them save for one criteria of one of them.
Maria - you gotta look at Mary's picture a lot, or read her letter a lot. I forget which but I'm positive this is one criteria.

But I looked all this up probably more than ten years ago now. I'm not sure if it's even realistic to get these endings on a blind run or if you need to follow a guide.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The bloober and annapurna projects actually looked the most promising. Hiring some people off Twitter and outsourcing to a Taiwan studio that’s busy making GBS threads out REverse for Silent Hill 5 is an INSULT

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Silent Hillf

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

NikkolasKing posted:

I mentioned this in the RE thread but while I haven't personally played SH2 yet, I know all the endings. I just have no clue how to get any of them save for one criteria of one of them.
Maria - you gotta look at Mary's picture a lot, or read her letter a lot. I forget which but I'm positive this is one criteria.

But I looked all this up probably more than ten years ago now. I'm not sure if it's even realistic to get these endings on a blind run or if you need to follow a guide.

It's basically a matter if you're nicer to Mary or Maria, and also whether you take care of yourself. Read Mary's letter a lot, get Leave. Take care of Maria and check in on her when she's injured, get Maria. Stare at the knife a whole lot and be a big old sad boy about killing your wife, get In Water. It's unlikely you'll get the others first time around past that.

Remake is probably going to be poo poo because Bloober doesn't make good games and I've seen shots of frame dodging combat but hey we have seen worse.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

NikkolasKing posted:

There are only three endings available on an initial run, and realistically, you'd probably get Leave if you were playing wholly blind. Leave's criteria are met for playing the game as a typical first-time player would: don't spend a lot of time at low health, keep moving forward, don't dink around with Maria any longer than you have to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

There are only three endings available on an initial run, and realistically, you'd probably get Leave if you were playing wholly blind. Leave's criteria are met for playing the game as a typical first-time player would: don't spend a lot of time at low health, keep moving forward, don't dink around with Maria any longer than you have to.

I recall I actually got In Water my first time through because playing RE had me in the habit of not bothering to heal unless I really really needed to. Whoops.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
this plus checking everything in your inventory on a regular basis

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I remember the Super Best Friends Play SH2 where Pat attempted to stack the odds in In Water's favor by pretending to fumble with his inventory in a way that always resulted in checking the letter or the photo.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

personally im glad bloober is remaking it so that when it comes out and its a typical bloober pile of poo poo that maybe, just maybe, people can move the gently caress on from silent hill 2

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Happy Landfill posted:

If this is the rumored SH2 remake I'm going to tear my whole face off. Just let 2 die. It's been milked enough

The gently caress.. how have they milked SH2? It gone one half-assed port to PC and was included in an HD collection that everyone agrees is worse. A next-gen remake is something literally everyone wants.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Carmant posted:

The gently caress.. how have they milked SH2? It gone one half-assed port to PC and was included in an HD collection that everyone agrees is worse. A next-gen remake is something literally everyone wants.

Its milking when people talk about it a lot. I mean, come on "The Bible", stop milking it already.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I see Bloober Team is still the kings of subtlety by having James do the Lady Macbeth hand-washing up front lol, why would he be in such a hurry to wash his hands after driving interstate for hours with his dead wife in the car. Looks promising so far though!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Silent 2 remake legit looks kinda bad. They really just point at the camera and said "look James is suicidal and guilty". Okay, thanks I thought that was supposed to be a twist

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
they're going to pull a FF7 Remake and James will fight the ghosts of canon to save his wife's life

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Me as the lead director of Team Bloober cackling as I add a new secret ending where James saves Mary and you get a Happily Ever After. :twisted:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's fitting that a lovely indie horror studio remake SH2, because lovely indie horror studios have been making bad version of SH2 for years.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Doomykins posted:

Me as the lead director of Team Bloober cackling as I add a new secret ending where James saves Mary and you get a Happily Ever After. :twisted:

Which character gets to repeatedly run head-first into a wall

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
oh god, Angela will be handled so much worse. steel yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Doomykins posted:

"For me, it's always like this"

"Well NOT TODAY!" *jumps through the fire, grabs Angela and an adorable puppy, kicks down a door and rides it like a surfboard down the stairs through the fire*