Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Simplex posted:

That's only if you are over the cap, or already have a player on LTIR. I don't think Helm was on LTIR, so they should be able to accrue Landeskogs cap hit while he is out.

Players on IR still count towards the upper cap limit.

Like, if the Avs were at 23 skaters on the roster and $500K under the cap with Landeskog on IR they would have a roster spot (because IR players are not on the active roster, giving them 22 players) but they would not have the cap space to call up a replacement because league min is $750K, his salary doesn’t go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

pseudodragon posted:

"Auston having more than 1 goal in 4 games would help when all our games have been 1 goal games (not counting empties)" seems like a pretty easy ocnversation.

Doesn't seem that easy imo

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1582814843211460609?s=20&t=zoxwzIM51MgiE5nyfpluMg

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am so tired of reading and saying the same things about the Leafs year after year. So, so tired.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

whatis posted:

Auston Matthews is absolutely going to leave Toronto

Nah. Keefe will be gone by Thanksgiving. Dubas will have no choice with his own job at stake.

But nothing will actually change until Dubas and Shanahan are both gone. They are the problem.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Scaramouche posted:

Canucks are already settin records

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nah. Keefe will be gone by Thanksgiving. Dubas will have no choice with his own job at stake.

But nothing will actually change until Dubas and Shanahan are both gone. They are the problem.

But will they fire him before the Flyers dump Torts or the Kraken dump Hakstol?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Nah. Results matter. If you're not finishing your chances who cares what the xGF is. It's fine to say the players aren't getting it done when they're not scoring. Luck or not, the point isn't to make silly graphs it's to put points on the board.

If your top players aren't producing you're going to struggle to win and that's a problem. The good thing would be that it seems they're not playing bad, they're just not producing enough, so you hope that things will come around (and I'm sure they will).

You don't need to run your players out of town or something but saying "they need to finish" is fine and accurate

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The hockey gods are pissing on the Panthers by breaking Ekblad once again, and the weather gods are pissing on the fans waiting outside the arena for the red carpet event by deciding to pour down all afternoon. I sure hope we don't lose tonight against the *checks notes* dogshit garbage Philadelphia Flyers? Ah gently caress.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So under Keefe the Leafs have been consistently top-3 in xGF, but in terms of actual goals scored above expected they consistently finish ~14th. I've said it many ways over the offseason but the team emphasis on cycling and maintaining possession comes at the expense of actual danger, you're a lot less likely to score on a shot that comes > 5 seconds after a zone entry vs. the same spot in transition, and the blob models don't account for pre-shot movement and don't adequately (imo) punish misses and blocks. And the Leafs get lots of misses and blocks because so often they're working around the perimeter of a set D.

The blob charts are useful, but they don't actually mean what people take them to and every year Keefe is coach and the team continues to perform this way it's pretty clear that having a big huge red blob doesn't necessarily correlate to real dangerous chances and real goals. And that's not even getting to the ways the high cycle and D activation makes them vulnerable to actually dangerous chances the other way from transition and rushes.

And of course it's actually possible to score off the cycle but the team needs to have a structure in place where they're using their movement to create quick 2v1s off the wall or outnumber the D at home plate and the Leafs don't have those looks because everyone's stuck on the boards. So you have these red blobs that look great and then you watch the games and it's guys shovelling the puck 1 foot away from a set goalie with no holes, guys ripping shots from the circle into two defenders blocking, guys in the slot missing the net because the entire other 5-man unit is in front of them and they don't have an angle.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

EL BROMANCE posted:

The hockey gods are pissing on the Panthers by breaking Ekblad once again, and the weather gods are pissing on the fans waiting outside the arena for the red carpet event by deciding to pour down all afternoon. I sure hope we don't lose tonight against the *checks notes* dogshit garbage Philadelphia Flyers? Ah gently caress.

well, big cats love urinating strategically

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ok so who's getting fired first? Boudreau or Keefe?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Koopa Kid posted:

So under Keefe the Leafs have been consistently top-3 in xGF, but in terms of actual goals scored above expected they consistently finish ~14th. I've said it many ways over the offseason but the team emphasis on cycling and maintaining possession comes at the expense of actual danger, you're a lot less likely to score on a shot that comes > 5 seconds after a zone entry vs. the same spot in transition, and the blob models don't account for pre-shot movement and don't adequately (imo) punish misses and blocks. And the Leafs get lots of misses and blocks because so often they're working around the perimeter of a set D.
Come join the pacific where you get double your expected goals because you're shooting at Grubauer.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

But will they fire him before the Flyers dump Torts or the Kraken dump Hakstol?

I would be really shocked if Torts gets canned. For one, a lot of the normal non-online-nerd fanbase is probably going to be okay with him. For two, he's pretty good at setting expectations, and he's been saying that he's really starting a culture rebuild, and that it will take a long time. And three, it's early, but they are undoubtedly playing harder than they have in years.

If this was another culture mismatch for him like Vancouver, I would say yeah. But this is an East Coast American team. He'll be there for awhile IMO.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Torts isn't going anywhere for at least a couple years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I like torts. At least he has a plan that you can easily identify and his teams do that plan and typically get better pretty quickly after he gets there. He might have a limited shelf life but there are a TON of worse coaches.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

wasnt there already a thing where they were maybe not going to extend boudreau's contract or some poo poo? love ya bruce but aquaman's coming for you

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The way Boudreau is losing is wild, but you have to believe that it can't continue like that. He'll get a lot of slack just because he's a recent hire, and if you fire him as well that quickly, it starts to look bad on the GM. I would put more money on JR doing some crazy rear end trade again.

The Keefe thing...I can't believe he didn't get fired after last year. I get that Fancy Stats xGF Corsi defending champs, whatever, cool, but you got Auston and Marner are UFAs after next year, and Tavares/Nylander the year after. Not firing him after last year not only puts Dubas's job in jeopardy but Shanny's as well.

If they have early struggles, it could definitely mean an in-season massive blowout/clearout before the year is out of all three, and lord knows who the gently caress they would bring in midseason to right that. They'd have to go with someone from the carousel, so it'd be like:

Marc Bergevin
Bob Murray
Mike Gillis
Dale Tallon
Jim Benning (oh God)
Stan Bowman(oh God)

...more likely they just hire some vet coach and change Shanny/Dubas in the offseason.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Tavares, Marner, Nylander, and Rielly are all at PPG or slightly above. Matthews is the only 'star' not performing with 2 points in 4. He is shooting 4.5% so far. The xG is extremely important because it tells you how dangerous the player is. In this case the answer is extremely so you would expect him to eventually return to PPG or better pace. Where the problem lies is that the Leafs have 12 points between the rest of the roster combined. That's 13 players that have played in all 4 games that have contributed very very little. That's on both Keefe not being able to get positive results out of his bottom 6 and also GM wonder turd Dubas not being super effective in his dumpster diving.

Edit: I'm not on PC right now so you're all spared a bigger post about the Leafs and their fancy stat outcomes....for now....

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The correct play for the Leafs, which would quite likely result in their contending for the Cup for the next couple years, is to fire everyone and hire Trotz and whichever yes man GM he likes for however much money he wants.

Needless to say, this will not happen. What will actually happen is Shanahan/Dubas will fire Keefe in about a month, then hire someone just as bad, because they don't know what they're doing. Dubas will be fired after their inevitable embarrassing first round exit next May, but Shanahan will stay and replace him with someone just as bad, because, again, he doesn't know what he's doing. By the time ownership finally gets around to sacking Shanahan, the core stars will be old and the team will be hopelessly cap-mortgaged.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Flyers announced Felix Sandstrom gets the start tonight vs Florida

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Aye Doc posted:

wasnt there already a thing where they were maybe not going to extend boudreau's contract or some poo poo? love ya bruce but aquaman's coming for you

yes. rutherford/alvin refused to even talk extension with boudreau over the summer and took shots at him in the media for the team's lack of preparation and poor structure trying to get him to decline his option year. then they hired not just one ex-head coach in mike yeo to lurk in the shadows but also another in colliton just in case.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

The way Boudreau is losing is wild, but you have to believe that it can't continue like that. He'll get a lot of slack just because he's a recent hire, and if you fire him as well that quickly, it starts to look bad on the GM. I would put more money on JR doing some crazy rear end trade again.

rutherford/alvin were hired after boudreau. no one remembers because who on earth would fire their coach and their gm on back to back days and then hire a coach literally days before hiring a new team president but the canucks think differently or whatever

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DJExile posted:

Flyers announced Felix Sandstrom gets the start tonight vs Florida

That’s not a real player’s name, right?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1582854991957479424?s=20&t=uvW7E7D1nJdK4_imin3KzQ

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That sucks. Get well, dude. It's cool and good to seek help.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Cocaine Bear posted:

That sucks. Get well, dude. It's cool and good to seek help.

gently caress. all the best for him. he looked great in the one game he played :sigh:

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
https://twitter.com/jamesoncoop/status/1582871064665034752?s=46&t=Fmo_QRRNfI5x5m-UNccQcw

Is it me, or is the Atlantic now filled with teams that are absolutely stacked forward, and completely barren on D?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's not just the Atlantic, it's the whole drat league seems like. A few teams are hoarding all the good defensemen, selfish bastards.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Saw this in an Elliotte Friedman article the other day, don't know if it was already posted. It's the first time I've ever heard of it. Seems like a really good and obvious thing to do, I'm kind of surprised it wasn't a thing already. Do the other major leagues do this ?

quote:

One great thing that happened in hockey over the summer: the NHL Alumni finalized a deal with the league and teams where ex-players can go to current facilities for medical examinations. You don’t have to go where you played, so if you live near Los Angeles, but didn’t play for the Kings, you can still get an appointment. Medical coverage is not cheap, which means it is real change. I think there’s still one team that isn’t finalized, but we must get there because this care is critical.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Despite a very bad game last night, VGK look around where you'd think they would be: a team in the hunt for a playoff spot. Things are messy and you gotta think it'll gel more with more games. I hope Logan Thompson keeps showing up and solidifies the goalie job.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

*Leafs stats stuff*

Obviously Matthews is the reigning Rocket Richard winner multiple years in a row, Mitch Marner is a 100 point player and JT and Nylander produce quite well. The argument is not “the Leafs don’t score goals” because they obviously do. But they also consistently lose to the worst teams in the league (backed by numbers) and they obviously struggle to find their offence in the playoffs, and IMO there’s something to that beyond “well they’re tops in xG every year so it must be bad luck”

I would argue that Keefe not getting anything out of role players consistently is what I’m getting at, the team tactics only work when you have stars that can beat guys 1 on 1 or pass/shoot through set defenders and goalies (which means the tactics are bad). Nick Ritchie’s performance on the Leafs vs. the Coyotes is the perfect example, he’s a one-touch scorer once someone finds him with the puck in a scoring area, scores in bunches on the Yotes, but he couldn’t do anything on the Leafs because the systems both don’t allow a guy like him to find that space and also require that he participate in a complex if/else improvisational board movement system.

Like if you watch the Leafs at 5v5 or on the powerplay and ask yourself “what look(s) is this team trying to create and how is this movement accomplishing that” it’s much less clear than a lot of other high-scoring clubs. Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner can improvise on the fly and convert off of that, guys like Nick Ritchie and Zach Aston-Reese cannot, and once you have an opponent that clamps down on mistakes/defensive aggressiveness the creativity comes up short.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Saw this in an Elliotte Friedman article the other day, don't know if it was already posted. It's the first time I've ever heard of it. Seems like a really good and obvious thing to do, I'm kind of surprised it wasn't a thing already. Do the other major leagues do this ?

Interesting. I don't think other leagues do this. NBA/MLB have cheap/free health insurance based on service time, but it's just regular (though probably really good coverage) insurance. NFL players are unsurprisingly hosed. https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/seattle-seahawks/no-lifetime-healthcare-nfl-players-why-it-wasnt-even-table

I wonder how the league's going to find that. Teams like the Canadian teams, Minny, Detroit, probably the Cali and Florida teams where guys are probably retiring home to are probably going to be pretty pissed if they need to hire additional medical staff since alumni aren't equally distributed between team cities. It would be hilarious if this is the thing that drives the Coyotes over the edge though. All the old guys that retire to Arizona wind up destroying the team via medical costs.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Trying to think who that one team is that is holding out and the only one that I can think of is Vegas. Maybe Arizona?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I assume the costs are being evenly distributed across all teams but yeah I dunno how you deal with the fact the Lightning's doctors will have 200 retired players seeking their time while the Penguins' doctors will have about 5.

Furnaceface posted:

Trying to think who that one team is that is holding out and the only one that I can think of is Vegas. Maybe Arizona?

lol 1000% it's one of the teams owned by either an rear end in a top hat billionaire (Canucks, Jets) or a megacorporation (Leafs, Flyers)

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

the talent deficit posted:

yes. rutherford/alvin refused to even talk extension with boudreau over the summer and took shots at him in the media for the team's lack of preparation and poor structure trying to get him to decline his option year. then they hired not just one ex-head coach in mike yeo to lurk in the shadows but also another in colliton just in case.

rutherford/alvin were hired after boudreau. no one remembers because who on earth would fire their coach and their gm on back to back days and then hire a coach literally days before hiring a new team president but the canucks think differently or whatever

gently caress me that's crazy. insanely grim to have Mike Yeo waiting in the wings. I'm so sorry

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Eric the Mauve posted:

I assume the costs are being evenly distributed across all teams but yeah I dunno how you deal with the fact the Lightning's doctors will have 200 retired players seeking their time while the Penguins' doctors will have about 5.

lol 1000% it's one of the teams owned by either an rear end in a top hat billionaire (Canucks, Jets) or a megacorporation (Leafs, Flyers)

My guess is Calgary. Cheap owners, and I'd imagine that there's a relatively large amount of NHL alumni in western Canada for whom Calgary would be the closest team.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'd assume rear end in a top hat billionaires over megacorps. The megacorps are probably thinking of how they can manipulate the funding formula so that they can get the league to pay for new facilities and equipment rather than outright rejecting it.

Though I also think there might be legal poo poo to deal with in Canada if the team providing medical care might need to deal with privatized health care rules.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nah companies can buy private medical insurance for employees that work outside the country or for people that aren't covered by their provincial plans. It's pretty simple.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Nah companies can buy private medical insurance for employees that work outside the country or for people that aren't covered by their provincial plans. It's pretty simple.

But in this case, like a dude who retires in Vancouver who wants to see the Canucks doc because their knee is hosed from playing 12 years in the NHL is probably a BC resident who is provincially covered. The NHL docs are probably the most experienced ones dealing with those types of injuries, but it's also something they could theoretically go to some regular provincial doctor for.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Please don't let us Americans know healthcare is simple. We have F35s to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

But in this case, like a dude who retires in Vancouver who wants to see the Canucks doc because their knee is hosed from playing 12 years in the NHL is probably a BC resident who is provincially covered. The NHL docs are probably the most experienced ones dealing with those types of injuries, but it's also something they could theoretically go to some regular provincial doctor for.

That team doctors working in Canada needs to be provincially licensed and generally has or works at a local clinic. The Oilers team doctors for example generally come from the Glen Sather sports clinic.

A referral there would be covered by someone's insurance whether thats provincial or private.