Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

thiccabod posted:

boy do we both hate Janice

That's why she's such a great character!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Are the early sopranos seasons only available in 4x3 or were they remastered after everything switched to 16x9?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I wish more things were in 4x3 so we don't get odd zoomins like with sienfeld

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Speaking of Seinfeld, I've been watching it while doing dishes and I'm pretty well entertained. GenX sexuality still kinda annoys me like it did back in the day ("yeah but will she 'go to bed' with me?"), but unlike back then, I'm enjoying the comeuppance.

Same weird change that occurred in me over the last 20 years that has made both Sopranos and Uncut Gems into dark comedies for me. Maybe it's because modern day super-jerks almost never seem to get what they deserve.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I wish more things were in 4x3 so we don't get odd zoomins like with sienfeld

I don't find the Seinfeld zoomins to be so bad, it's only certain episodes like The Pothole where you literally can't see the thing they are looking at and talking about. What cracks me up is that a lot of the shots are literally out of focus but you couldn't tell with the resolution it was originally broadcast at - whenever someone is standing in the kitchen, there's like a 50% chance they are focused on the cereal boxes behind their head rather than the face of the person that is talking.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Sopranos is shot/lit perfectly. Accurate visual representation of living in North Jersey in the late-90's & early 00's (smog-tinted sunlight hitting pastel-colored living rooms, lovely florecent lights in businesses and whatnot, underlit restaurants, gross-rear end docks, the existence of the Meadowlands, etc.)

The dream sequences are the only time this (slightly) changes.

ruddiger posted:

Are the early sopranos seasons only available in 4x3 or were they remastered after everything switched to 16x9?

They were all shot in 16:9 but the first 3 seasons are framed for 4:3 (so occasionally there'll be some awkwardly unused space in the scene blocking).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Was watching some classic Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes (30 years old!) and the upscaling of those is funky. Some scenes looks like garbage, some look surprisingly crisp.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Sopranos is shot/lit perfectly. Accurate visual representation of living in North Jersey in the late-90's & early 00's (smog-tinted sunlight hitting pastel-colored living rooms, lovely florecent lights in businesses and whatnot, underlit restaurants, gross-rear end docks, the existence of the Meadowlands, etc.)

Never thought of this but you're so loving right.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Im watching the watcher lol

the goofy voicechanger voice is.. not ideal

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 20, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

spamming this thread but I'm watching lower decks and it is pretty fun. it is 100% fanservice tho

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Nihonniboku posted:

I ended up deciding to watch the new Hellraiser last night without going back and watching the originals. While it was visually impressive, it was not a movie for me. I didn't find it particularly scary, but I watched the whole thing with my face all scrunched up. They almost went the route of the kill your gays trope, but only halfway in the end.

Yeah, I was just kinda bored through the whole thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Im watching the watcher lol

the goofy voicechanger voice is.. not ideal

Yeah it’s sooo bad lol. I can’t believe they thought that was gonna be spooky and ominous.

In general it’s an absolutely terrible show but a fun hate watch.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I only watched the trailer for The Watcher but I hope it's not supposed to be a cliffhanger who the watcher is, because even from the trailer it was incredibly obviously Jennifer Coolidge's voice lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

ok i haven't finished it but lmao the realtor seemed way too obvious so is that like a double red herring?

the characters are all extremely stupid is there a gas leak in the house? the wife being instantly convinced that bobby cannavale was cheating with an underage girl based on some candid video where he's asleep and not questioning it even a little bit, like what even was that this is all so dumb. i'm still enjoying myself tho

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah it has it's flaws and I dunno the house is nice but no matter what, I wouldn't want to live anywhere near a small town full of crazies, they all lean a little bit too hard into the looniness. Ending spoiler: Since it's apparently based on a real life mystery the ending is also pretty open and not really resolved in a satisfying manner. I'm not too familiar with the real case, I only read that the original mystery is pretty cool, but the show added a lot of smaller arcs that are ultimately left hanging (like the guy fleeing in the tunnel?) which ultimately dragged the mystery down a bit. Still an alright hate-watch.

Oh and the mole on netflix is pretty addicting, strong recommendation if you like reality shows. I'm only up to episode 5, and I think ---joi-- is a pretty obvious candidate, but maybe too obvious? I dunno I feel like there should be some way for the candidates to defend themselves against this blatant griefing, it's a bit too much, especially if they indeed are the mole.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 20, 2022

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Oenis posted:

Yeah it has it's flaws and I dunno the house is nice but no matter what, I wouldn't want to live anywhere near a small town full of crazies, they all lean a little bit too hard into the looniness. Ending spoiler: Since it's apparently based on a real life mystery the ending is also pretty open and not really resolved in a satisfying manner. I'm not too familiar with the real case, I only read that the original mystery is pretty cool, but the show added a lot of smaller arcs that are ultimately left hanging (like the guy fleeing in the tunnel?) which ultimately dragged the mystery down a bit. Still an alright hate-watch.

Oh and the mole on netflix is pretty addicting, strong recommendation if you like reality shows. I'm only up to episode 5, and I think ---joi-- is a pretty obvious candidate, but maybe too obvious? I dunno I feel like there should be some way for the candidates to defend themselves against this blatant griefing, it's a bit too much, especially if they indeed are the mole.

In the real life mystery the family never even moves into the house. They receive the first letter when renovations are ongoing, never move in because they are spooked and eventually rent it out and sell it. End of story. One of the longest reaches of "based on a true story" I can recall.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Mole is probably my favorite of the early-00s reality game shows, so I was on board with this revival before it was out.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

New Mole is pretty good but the quiz thing is very odd.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

ok i haven't finished it but lmao the realtor seemed way too obvious so is that like a double red herring?

the characters are all extremely stupid is there a gas leak in the house? the wife being instantly convinced that bobby cannavale was cheating with an underage girl based on some candid video where he's asleep and not questioning it even a little bit, like what even was that this is all so dumb. i'm still enjoying myself tho

It’s hilarious how bad it is. It felt like every ten minutes Cannavale is accusing a different person in the most public and embarrassing way possible

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

school of good and evil was pretty decent

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Nihonniboku posted:

I ended up deciding to watch the new Hellraiser last night without going back and watching the originals. While it was visually impressive, it was not a movie for me. I didn't find it particularly scary, but I watched the whole thing with my face all scrunched up. They almost went the route of the kill your gays trope, but only halfway in the end.

Haven’t watched the new one, but I was feeling spoopy on Sunday and watched the original Hellraiser on HBOmax. Aside from some neat practical effects it’s a horrible movie, no idea why it got all the sequels. I also hated the lead actors, especially the dad.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

Haven’t watched the new one, but I was feeling spoopy on Sunday and watched the original Hellraiser on HBOmax. Aside from some neat practical effects it’s a horrible movie, no idea why it got all the sequels. I also hated the lead actors, especially the dad.
actually it's very good and ur bad at movies

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

THE WATCHER CASE REMAINS UNSOLVED

I love how at the end bobby cannavale becomes a watcher. then his wife becomes a watcher of bobby cannavale. and the neighbors are all watchers. everyones a watcher

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Glottis posted:

I don't find the Seinfeld zoomins to be so bad, it's only certain episodes like The Pothole where you literally can't see the thing they are looking at and talking about. What cracks me up is that a lot of the shots are literally out of focus but you couldn't tell with the resolution it was originally broadcast at - whenever someone is standing in the kitchen, there's like a 50% chance they are focused on the cereal boxes behind their head rather than the face of the person that is talking.

I hate those loving cereal boxes

e it does allow you to get a good look at some of the set dressing on the background of his apartment, which changes frequently and includes a Magic: The Gathering starter set on the desk in one episode

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

A MIRACLE posted:

I love how at the end bobby cannavale becomes a watcher. then his wife becomes a watcher of bobby cannavale. and the neighbors are all watchers. everyones a watcher

yeah. terrible.

anything with Cannavale and/or Watts gets a fair try from me. I'm actually surprised I stayed until the end.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Wow wrong

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

jesus wept

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Nuts and Gum posted:

whyareyoubooinghimhesright.gif

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Old generation clinging to their looney toons and their hellraisers and their supremos

e the new blade runner is a piece of poo poo though

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

You watched the show, you're a watcher. Makes you think

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

jesus wept

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
American Horror Story is back on Hulu. Per usual, they were very mysterious about what the season would be about. So far the theme seems to be about the gay leather scene in the 1970s, and possibly AIDS? Lots of gay actors, Sandra Bernhard, Russel Tovey, Charlie Carver, Isaac Cole Powell, Zachary Quinto, Kal Penn, Denis O'Hare, etc. Also Patti Lupone is playing a lounge singer in a gay bathhouse in a very obvious nod to the real life story of Bette Midler getting her start performing in NYC gay bathhouses with Barry Manilow.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 21, 2022

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
AHS set a series record with this premiere, from zero to Tom of Finland in under a minute

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Wolfsheim posted:

AHS set a series record with this premiere, from zero to Tom of Finland in under a minute

Maybe one of the characters will end up being named Sean Cody

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Sock The Great posted:

In the real life mystery the family never even moves into the house. They receive the first letter when renovations are ongoing, never move in because they are spooked and eventually rent it out and sell it. End of story. One of the longest reaches of "based on a true story" I can recall.

Back when the real life mystery occurred and people were spouting explanations, there was one from a realtor: the family had massively overpaid for the house, was strapped for cash and was looking for a way to exit the deal.

A recent NYT article looked back on the case and proposed a number of suspects but there's not a lot of evidence for any if them.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm as surprised as anyone, but Season 13 of Archer is pretty fantastic. The jokes feel fresher than they have in a long time (I think I last tapped out mid-day through Season 12), and the tonal elements still feel solid and well-earned. There's even a throwback to Frisky Dingo that really hit me in a "man, time just keeps moving, don't it?" kind of way.

Two episodes left in my queue for this 8-episode season, and I haven't followed the business side of things so I don't know if this is meant to be a final hurrah or a path forward to Season 14. I'd be interested in another season, but I really think it would be great to end on a solid "return to form" season like this one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Modern Leper posted:

Season 13 of Archer

holy poo poo we're all so old

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

it has found its pacing but the first few eps of the season were downright bizarre. felt like everyone was checked out, the writing, voice acting, the animation, the set pieces were minimalistic and low budget. felt like they warmed up after a few episodes and its going better now

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

it has found its pacing but the first few eps of the season were downright bizarre. felt like everyone was checked out, the writing, voice acting, the animation, the set pieces were minimalistic and low budget. felt like they warmed up after a few episodes and its going better now

that feels like every season, tbh. even early seasons had stinker runs in the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
re: Hellraiser.

It's incredibly pedestrian. The first third is ok but the rest is straight up garbage on a par with any of the later sequels. It has big early 2000s teen horror energy. You can tell exactly the kind of tone they were going for when, after some admittedly creepy visuals, you think it's about to get going and then one of the cenobites tells their victim to "save your breath....... for screaming!"