Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Opopanax posted:

Turns out Ezra's character was Thwane all along and has Barry locked in a closet.

Then Johns says Flash 1 wasn't the real Flashpoint, that'll be in Flash 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Davros1 posted:

Then Johns says Flash 1 wasn't the real Flashpoint, that'll be in Flash 2

"Flashpoint done right"

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

And will somehow tie into watchmen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Azubah posted:

And will somehow tie into watchmen.

Stop giving him ideas!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
how has the WBD deal torpedoed so much poo poo yet geoff loving johns still has a job

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Just got back from Black Adam. Quick spoiler-free review? Honestly, pretty good! I expected it to be an overstuffed mess but I think it worked pretty well, all things considered.

Few assorted spoiler thoughts:
  • It's super weird that DC has just basically kind of leaned into "slow down speed up" fights as their house style. Like, even with Snyder gone, a lot of fights felt like something he'd do.
    • Like, they looooved that Cyclone spinning slow down way too much. I started to feel like I was watching a canned animation sequence from a magical girl anime or tokusatsu series or something
  • I can't decide if I like that BA's weakness to eternium never really came back into play near the end. Seemed like a Chekhov's gun that never got fired again after that first missile. Like I thought they'd reveal that Sabacc shared the weakness and Adam would have to find some or maybe use Adrianna's necklace to damage him. But also I don't like the "set up the weakness early, come back and use it at the climax later" formula a lot of superhero movies have used over the years.
  • For some reason I expected Amon to pick up Fate's helmet as a stinger and was surprised when it didn't happen.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Black Adam was a movie. It’s not the worst DC outing, I’m sure I’ll have more lasting memories of it than Birds of Prey, but I’m also fine never seeing it again. There’s some weird narrative choices and the editing is a mess, but the music is unrelenting and oppressive. Every scene has either a tense biting beat or bombastic orchestral fare, often completely unwarranted to what’s happening on screen. The sound never lets the picture have a chance to breathe; even the harrowingly few moments of quiet characterization are drowned beneath heavy thumping.

The performances are fine; Dwayne does a lot of brooding and growling, a little quipping but far less than usual. Fate and Hawkman are mostly likable characters and the actors seem like they’re almost having fun, whereas Atom Smasher and Cyclone are easily the best parts of the movie.

It’s an uneven film that’s made tremendously worse with bad post-production work; like the original Suicide Squad there’s a framework of a decent movie buried under a lot of weird bad decisions.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sounds like they need to release the snyder cut

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do you think this movie will result in any changes to the heiarchy of power within the DC universe?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
I think it’s a mess. There are some interesting idea, particularly the Justice Society as a stand-in for US imperialism in the Middle East, but you’re never going to get more than superficial nods to anything controversial from a $200 million superhero movie with a risk-averse star. doesn’t have a proper villain until the final half hour or so (he’s the female lead’s traitorous colleague who’s been lurking around the movie here and there, and belatedly turns into a horribly rendered CG demon; not since the Josh Trank Fantastic Four has a villain felt like this much of an afterthought in a superhero movie), and consequently suffers from a lack of clear stakes or central conflict. There’s probably a version of this story where the redemption arc would’ve worked as the backbone; this isn’t it—Black Adam is supposed to be a conflicted antihero tormented by grief and self-loathing, yet it’s hard to sell that when he’s bonding with a (ostensibly) lovable comic-relief teen and dropping quips minutes after his introduction. 

introducing the Justice Society in the same movie as Black Adam also could have worked (they’re a legacy team—maybe they fought Black Adam in the past and imprisoned him, and their surviving members and the younger generation have to reckon with the consequences after he’s freed, I’m just spitballing here!) but doesn’t. As is it’s totally unclear who they are as a team, beyond “some guys from the comics we can maybe spin off into their own movie”, or why they’re the ones to go after Black Adam (including two young and untested members!) and the script’s attempts at emotional gravitas involving Hawkman and Doctor Fate’s friendship feel completely unearned

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Did they bother having versions of Hawkman and Fate in the past when Adam first becomes imprisoned?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Open Marriage Night posted:

Did they bother having versions of Hawkman and Fate in the past when Adam first becomes imprisoned?
nope! something else that could've made the story work better

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

The fact that they don’t have ancient versions of Fate and Hawkman, two guys who were literally Black Adam’s advisors in the comics when he ruled ancient Khandaq, yet included them in the movie strictly in modern times was baffling to me. What a great way to link Adam’s origins to his present day story and they missed it completely.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Maybe they were afraid to create "Avengers 3100 BC" or decided it wasn't worth it to bring onto film.

Prince Khufu, Nabu, and Black Adam did make a pretty badass team for the few issues of JSA they appeared in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is it going to be hitting HBO Max or whatever undead horror their streaming service is any time soon? I want to see it but not enough to leave my place and pay money to see it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does Black Adam have any particularly freaky or scary scenes? I'd like to take my kid, he's nine. I know it has over the top violence. For Shazam the board room scene was too much for him and we had to leave, though that was two years ago. I thought at the time that scene and the car crash event was way too dark for the rest of the movie.

It is two years later now though. Black Adam sounds like it is more dumb violence than horror violence.

For an example of something he can handle now: the stalking nazghuls in Fellowship of the Ring were not a problem.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twistedmentat posted:

Is it going to be hitting HBO Max or whatever undead horror their streaming service is any time soon? I want to see it but not enough to leave my place and pay money to see it.
I would imagine it ends up there at some point

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
So they striped out the cool poo poo from the OG script that leaked and made a stupid bullshit movie.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

FoneBone posted:

nope! something else that could've made the story work better

I totally thought that’d be the heroic misunderstanding.

That’s a weird bit of restraint that I wasn’t expecting. I thought they’d go all in and include a scarab, Vandal Savage, and whatever other world building they could.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Does Black Adam have any particularly freaky or scary scenes? I'd like to take my kid, he's nine. I know it has over the top violence. For Shazam the board room scene was too much for him and we had to leave, though that was two years ago. I thought at the time that scene and the car crash event was way too dark for the rest of the movie.

It is two years later now though. Black Adam sounds like it is more dumb violence than horror violence.

For an example of something he can handle now: the stalking nazghuls in Fellowship of the Ring were not a problem.

There is a big demon other than that not really, nothing super explicit

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This movie does not suck! Probably one of the best fan fun movies I watched in a while. I give it a 8/10

https://twitter.com/hotCXbunz/status/1583516884690907136

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TwoPair posted:

Few assorted spoiler thoughts:
  • Like, they looooved that Cyclone spinning slow down way too much. I started to feel like I was watching a canned animation sequence from a magical girl anime or tokusatsu series or something

That part sounds awesome at least

Mr Hootington posted:

So they striped out the cool poo poo from the OG script that leaked and made a stupid bullshit movie.
What cool poo poo was there in the OG script?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked Black Adam a lot more than I thought it would. I think the problem is that it is actually way more comedic than the trailers let on. It had some good running gags.

It was probably a little too long and pretty much none of the JSA got any development at all. They also didn't explain why it was only four of them and two who seemed like they were on a first time mission.

But I think it's worth a watch.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

F.D. Signifier posted:

That part sounds awesome at least

What cool poo poo was there in the OG script?

The leak had a bunch of ancient Egypt stuff with Hawkman and nabu and the Captain Marvel/Shazam connection wasn't ignored. Big red cheese was who showed up.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 21, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Black Adam definitely feels like a movie that went through some post production issues. Like how they really rush through the set up with the opening flashback and then the introduction of the Justice Society. Also the pop music needle drops feel really, really poorly integrated, like playing Paint it Black or Power for less than a minute in the middle of an action scene doesn't really work that well.

Also don't know if I misread it or it was an error but when Cyclone first appears the panel that gives them access to Hawkman's mansion calls them "Red Tornado"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh and it is kind of messed up that Sarah Shahi gets billed under Noah Centineo in the end credits.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I enjoyed Black Adam. It wasn't high art or anything, but when you go to see an action movie starring The Rock you kind of know what you're getting into these days. It had its messy bits here and there but overall I had fun with it.

Post-credits stinger definitely had me hootin' and hollerin' though.

Oh, and the random Henry Winkler cameo completely caught me off-guard.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Boy that was bad timing to have a Kanye song in a movie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Black Adam definitely feels like a movie that went through some post production issues. Like how they really rush through the set up with the opening flashback and then the introduction of the Justice Society. Also the pop music needle drops feel really, really poorly integrated, like playing Paint it Black or Power for less than a minute in the middle of an action scene doesn't really work that well.

Also don't know if I misread it or it was an error but when Cyclone first appears the panel that gives them access to Hawkman's mansion calls them "Red Tornado"

I didn't see the panel, but it's possible that was referring to her grandmother Ma Hunkel, who was the Red Tornado.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The stuff about Eternium in Black Adam feels like vestiges from an earlier script because it gets mentioned a lot early on in the movie and you even see it as something that can actually hurt Black Adam but then once the action starts it never gets referenced again. There's also a thing where Sarah Shahi's character has a necklace that she says was passed down through the generations from ancient Khandaq and late in the movie there's a flashback to ancient times and you see Teth Adam's wife wearing what looks like the same necklace but nothing actually comes of it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm trying to spoiler myself on this but it's surprisingly hard to google: is the word "Shazam" in the movie?

The wiki page mentions that he gets his powers from the wizards in olden times but I'm wondering how explicit it is in the actual movie or if it's clear that it's the same power.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ror posted:

I'm trying to spoiler myself on this but it's surprisingly hard to google: is the word "Shazam" in the movie?

The wiki page mentions that he gets his powers from the wizards in olden times but I'm wondering how explicit it is in the actual movie or if it's clear that it's the same power.

Yes, Shazam is the magic word.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Ror posted:

Yes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, Black Adam's phrase in the movie is Shazam.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ror posted:

Deep in slumber, Joss Whedon stirs. As if in a trance he says:
"Batson yells the word and before Black Adam stands Shazam empowered! Black Adam raises an eyebrow and says "That's MY word. You can't use that word"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ror posted:

That word is established early on as a key plot point in the movie, even.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Djimon Hounsou reprises his role as the wizard in Black Adam, they just never mention Billy in the modern day segments.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm begging you Hollywood, stop doing this

https://twitter.com/MatthewFerrari/status/1584270434446774272?s=20&t=70I57j_uPnyXYzZcovsu_Q

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's definitely too many cuts, but it's not particularly egregious imo... or at least, it wouldn't be if the cuts were good, which a lot of them are not. Some really jarring edits, there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Shattering the 180° rule