Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I believe in Mushroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno maybe I don't want that loving dork spreadsheet poo poo I want to ride a dragon

"Oh I want to spend 10 years levying taxes to muster an army while I fake a fabricate a claim for 1/12th of the Stormlands" loving nerds

Hey! Some of us are watching this show because it's a live action Crusader Kings mod lol

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

"an awful civil war happened because of criston cole and the history books will reflect that he is hitler, when in truth he was just a big stupid guy who didn't know his own strength" is a genius idea, but i dont think that's what they're doing.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I AM GRANDO posted:

Isn’t the book supposed to be a collection of primary sources or an oral history or something? Maybe the show is supposed to be what “really” happens vs the book being the legend that grows up later or what is reconstructed by historians piecing together biased and partial accounts. I’m not going to read the thing to find out, though.

yeah i guess so. i'm not gonna read it either because i hear it's just a kind of dry plot recap and the show is filling in way more psychological and plot details than it had anyway, and i'd rather be on the ride for the first time, but my point is the same - they're selecting/inventing the things that serve alicent being a victim/struggling against patriarchy rather than the things that make her an evil bitch. which is creating a bit of whiplash imo cos alicent in ep6/7 vs alicent in ep8/9 are two different human beings.

it's kinda interesting we're getting like, one version of the event as filtered through the current media landscape. 30 years ago we would've gotten 'that slut rhaneyra, why does viserys care about her more than me!', in 30 years we'd hopefully get some weird insane version of ASOIAF where misogyny isn't the only negative force in social dynamics which must be preserved for historical accuracy

roomtone fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 20, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

CRISTON: dahhhh i did what you's asked boss i protected da food from da poor people and gave away da royal fleet

ALICENT: [slaps self in face] CRISTONNNN~~!!!!!!!!!!!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

People die instantly from blows to the head all the time, and he was slammed into a small rock.

The rock held him in place.

I’m not doubting that you can die instantly from a blow to the head, and I understood that the rock is what was holding him in place. It was specifically the part where Ser LennieCriston accidentally buried a cue ball in his skull that I didn’t like. It was dumb, it took me out of the moment.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
1940's viserys as portrayed by jimmy stewart

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

roomtone posted:

yeah i guess so. i'm not gonna read it either because i hear it's just a kind of dry plot recap and the show is filling in way more psychological and plot details than it had anyway, and i'd rather be on the ride for the first time, but my point is the same - they're selecting/inventing the things that serve alicent being a victim/struggling against patriarchy rather than the things that make her an evil bitch. which is creating a bit of whiplash imo cos alicent in ep6/7 vs alicent in ep8/9 are two different human beings.

it's kinda interesting we're getting like, one version of the event as filtered through the current media landscape. 30 years ago we would've gotten 'that slut rhaneyra, why does viserys care about her more than me!', in 30 years we'd hopefully get some weird insane version of ASOIAF where misogyny isn't the only negative force in social dynamics which must be preserved for historical accuracy

I’d love to see the 80s primetime soap version of this show where they slap each other while yelling bitch and whore.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Isn’t the book supposed to be a collection of primary sources or an oral history or something? Maybe the show is supposed to be what “really” happens vs the book being the legend that grows up later or what is reconstructed by historians piecing together biased and partial accounts. I’m not going to read the thing to find out, though.
Three primary sources: a maester, a septon, and a court fool. The maester was up to his neck in it and is dictating after the fact, so he's mostly trustworthy but has a tendency to make his side in general and himself in particular look good, the septon was there the least and has a tendency to make everyone more pious and kind, and the fool was there for things that took place in courts but was hardly invited to council meetings and was ignored because, y'know, fool, and then he pops up afterwards with a book all about how he's actually incredibly smart and everyone loved him and he was the person making all the decisions and also everyone else was just constantly loving and/or murdering each other in the absolute vilest ways at all times. If it's your sort of humor, it's pretty funny that you can practically see the fourth character, the in-universe maester collecting all these sources and trying to present an objective truth, grinding his teeth every time he has to admit that for all the typical nonsense, the fool's version of events is the most plausible.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Criston and Alicent are gonna/have done sex stuff right? I'm assuming that's what that whole "If you ever loved me....as your queen" stuff meant. Or it's her way of manipulating him.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Robobot posted:

Criston and Alicent are gonna/have done sex stuff right? I'm assuming that's what that whole "If you ever loved me....as your queen" stuff meant. Or it's her way of manipulating him.

I haven't read the books but my read on their situation is that he is 100% devoted to her, and she knows that. I don't get any sex vibes from the two of them. Considering that she let him go free when he admitted to sleeping with the princess, and she stopped him from suicide, I can see how their relationship might have built up over the past 10+ years.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
That was my take on it too until that line. I'm probably just reading too much into it though.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Robobot posted:

i think keeping him on the edge of bustin is really more to her advantage considering the sole track record we have for him. she was giving him the 'now cole, i know you are my biggest onlyfans subscriber, but there is a tier i don't tell people about for the most loyal' kinda deal. in his mind, there's no such thing as loyal enough.

my prediction is this man is going to die having hosed exactly one time with hate in his heart, no self-reflection will ever occur

roomtone fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 20, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I get the impression that the one time we saw is not the only time Rhaenyra and Cole got down. You don't give the "run away with me to Essos" speech to a one night stand, especially not however long after the fact they'd timejumped.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I mean I feel they needed to commit to Cole murdering beesbury. Toss him out the window.

Episode 9 was okay but kinda dimmed by expectations from the brilliance of episode 8.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CapnAndy posted:

I get the impression that the one time we saw is not the only time Rhaenyra and Cole got down. You don't give the "run away with me to Essos" speech to a one night stand, especially not however long after the fact they'd timejumped.

well possibly but i think his attitude the next day when rhaneyra was saying 'come!' (as in come here to have sex) and he didn't said to me that after that first time, he was in his mind about oaths and duty and revering women and then eventually he got around to saying let's get married when it became clear his fantasyworld wasn't actually happening how he thought, and he got turned down on that, offered a secret boyfriend position. 2nd place, the absolute worst kind of place for a stallion like criston god damned cole. i don't think casual sex should be assumed with this kind of society unless it's explicitly said that yeah, that's what they were doing.

i think it was once.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

That DICK! posted:

CRISTON: dahhhh i did what you's asked boss i protected da food from da poor people and gave away da royal fleet

ALICENT: [slaps self in face] CRISTONNNN~~!!!!!!!!!!!

Listen. Lord Rosby was really loving old and boring, and Aurane Waters was a real panty dropper. Could have happened to anyone.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You guys didn’t see Criston peeking out of the closet in the background with Larys and Alicent’s feet?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

I originally thought this, but seeing Cole's later characterization has made me think he actually might. It wasn't so much the depth of their relationship per se, it was the salvaging of his own honor, which would be as tarnished after a one-night stand as if they were banging regularly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Robobot posted:

I don't think they're loving, but there's a sexual valence to their relationship, yeah.

Criston is definitely horny for her, he just sublimates it under chivalric duty. His comment about treating all women with the same reverence you'd treat your mum is probably quite telling; I wonder if he's had sex even once since he did it with Rhaenyra.

Alicent knows this, IMO, and is perfectly happy to use it control him, but I think she's also got enough residual piety to refrain from making a more aggressive overture. (Plus it would be a dumb move to give up her power.) It's similar to the foot scene; she's practical enough to play on her supporter's fascination with her, but she'll never go the full Thomas Pynchon. Look, but don't touch.

She won't gently caress Criston unless she can absolutely help it IMO.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am the coke snoring HBO suit writing the showrunners a note mandating an Alicent/Cole/Lary threesome by the end of S2.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't think they're loving, but there's a sexual valence to their relationship, yeah.

Criston is definitely horny for her, he just sublimates it under chivalric duty. His comment about treating all women with the same reverence you'd treat your mum is probably quite telling; I wonder if he's had sex even once since he did it with Rhaenyra.

Alicent knows this, IMO, and is perfectly happy to use it control him, but I think she's also got enough residual piety to refrain from making a more aggressive overture. (Plus it would be a dumb move to give up her power.) It's similar to the foot scene; she's practical enough to play on her supporter's fascination with her, but she'll never go the full Thomas Pynchon. Look, but don't touch.

She won't gently caress Criston unless she can absolutely help it IMO.

i think this is a pretty ireffutable and obvious reading of alicent and cole's relationship

although i would add that cole would never touch alicent either unless he was pushed to the absolute edge. the utter core of his self-identity relies on worshipping her, as an object and not a person. i could see him killing her when or if that's betrayed, because he is a hateful man, but i do not see a kiss or anything like that between these two.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 20, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

roomtone posted:

i think this is a pretty ireffutable and obvious reading of alicent and cole's relationship

although i would add that cole would never touch alicent either unless he was pushed to the absolute edge. the utter core of his self-identity relies on worshipping her, as an object and not a person. i could see him killing her when or if that's betrayed, because he is a hateful man, but i do not see a kiss or anything like that between these two.

I mean, if we're just acknowledging what would be in his character, the dude is basically a bunch of sexual assault red flags that can wear armor and murder septuagenarians.

Which I mostly bring up to mention how much I don't want to see him do any of that ever, please god no.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

This is the point of the scene, Otto is trying to dress everything in the trappings of legitimacy but this ceremony isn't the real deal. They can wave around all the props they want and say "No really before he died Viserys definitely told us we were in charge", but then a literal dragon crashes the coronation and tells them to gently caress off before flying off to ally with the real dragon heir. It's a huge fire breathing metaphor.
Yes I get the visual metaphor. I enjoyed that, and it did not escape me that a dragon showing up to protest Aegon's coronation is a huge omen/sign for everyone who wants to read it that way, especially in universe.

Which is why Otto should have had dragons there, because in his mind, having then there says the opposite. He even says how much they need Aegon to be seen as the next conqueror, and the defining trait of Aegon is showing up and conquering Westeros with dragons.

I think they just liked the cuteness of the metaphor and the hero moment for Rhaenys too much.

E: also I read the Beesbury scene as Criston trying to kill him.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

roomtone posted:

i think keeping him on the edge of bustin is really more to her advantage considering the sole track record we have for him. she was giving him the 'now cole, i know you are my biggest onlyfans subscriber, but there is a tier i don't tell people about for the most loyal' kinda deal. in his mind, there's no such thing as loyal enough.

Yes, Larys Strong is in that tier.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

parara posted:

Yes, Larys Strong is in that tier.

the feet poo poo with larys was a dumbass writing move because it makes what i assume will be a long running character way less interesting in the service of a thematic point which hey, already made obvious, but even with it i don't think we're quite at the point of 'all larys wanted was feet pics lmao', despite what the internet says because it is in love with feet.

it could just be an aspect he's enjoying to exploit while he's really angling at something else.

i mean, i loving hope it is because i want this show to be good not descend into the idiots.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It would be wildly off for Rhaenys to have actually killed the Green faction there:

* Alicent has just been nice to her. She has genuine sympathy for Alicent right now despite everything.

* She’s been through the pain of losing children and is not indifferent to how cruel it would be to kill Aegon.

* Killing them is a huge escalation given that mass scale slaughter of nobles (the only actual people in the world, commoners are NPCs) hasn’t happened yet. It wouldn’t necessarily prevent a civil war, and might just as likely make the coming conflict worse.

So it makes sense to me at least that she would remind them “hey, Dragon rider here” before noping out.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
agreed

so why did she burst through the floor

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

roomtone posted:

agreed

so why did she burst through the floor

Escaping the dragon pit without having to go through any other dragons

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

ruddiger posted:

You guys didn’t see Criston peeking out of the closet in the background with Larys and Alicent’s feet?

The Superman outfit really ruined my immersion

parara
Apr 9, 2010

roomtone posted:

the feet poo poo with larys was a dumbass writing move because it makes what i assume will be a long running character way less interesting in the service of a thematic point which hey, already made obvious, but even with it i don't think we're quite at the point of 'all larys wanted was feet pics lmao', despite what the internet says because it is in love with feet.

it could just be an aspect he's enjoying to exploit while he's really angling at something else.

i mean, i loving hope it is because i want this show to be good not descend into the idiots.

Larys is unironically my favourite character because of his potential (and his actor is fantastic) so I fully agree with you here. Please don’t do my boy dirty like this.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I think the feet thing doesn't lessen the character at all, in fact makes him even more of a creep. We aren't exactly suppose to like the guy that killed his father and brother with criminals he freed from person and cut out their tongue. He's suppose to be this series Ramsay Bolton I guess.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Jerkface posted:

Escaping the dragon pit without having to go through any other dragons

there is a huge entrance that was shown in ep 1 and i think 6 she could have left from or she can burst through at least some of the walls. if the doors don't suit she can wait until her best pal alicent leaves the dragonpit and bust on out then.

what're you trying to say, some guard would say whoah now hold on, we talked about this. the front, back and side doors are banned. the only way you're getting out of here, my lady, is directly through the ceiling above us. she already snuck in, she can bust out in any direction she wants.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 20, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ShowTime posted:

I think the feet thing doesn't lessen the character at all, in fact makes him even more of a creep. We aren't exactly suppose to like the guy that killed his father and brother with criminals he freed from person and cut out their tongue. He's suppose to be this series Ramsay Bolton I guess.

well that's only interesting if you're satisfied by characters you can sum up as 'a creep' and 'supposed to like'

there's a bunch of camps of people watching this show with competing interests in what is going on. you're in the simple face value one, and that's fine you probably actually have a life. some of us don't and we think like hold on man...that poo poo doesn't help me sleep. i can't dwell on this! it's baby crap!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
She needed to have a display of power, but doesn't want to kill them in case they end up winning. She showed them mercy and if she has to, she can use that to get mercy in return. She's doing a bit of playing both sides.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

* Killing them is a huge escalation given that mass scale slaughter of nobles (the only actual people in the world, commoners are NPCs) hasn’t happened yet. It wouldn’t necessarily prevent a civil war, and might just as likely make the coming conflict worse.
This is the point I don't understand. There is a crown on Aegon's head. poo poo is escalated. Either you're on team Rhaenyra Abdicates or you're already at civil war, and that ain't Rhaenys' team.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Lary already lost me when he offered to take an eye from the Strong boys voluntarily, such a small time way to get back on Rhaenyir camp.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Yes I get the visual metaphor. I enjoyed that, and it did not escape me that a dragon showing up to protest Aegon's coronation is a huge omen/sign for everyone who wants to read it that way, especially in universe.

Which is why Otto should have had dragons there, because in his mind, having then there says the opposite. He even says how much they need Aegon to be seen as the next conqueror, and the defining trait of Aegon is showing up and conquering Westeros with dragons.

I think they just liked the cuteness of the metaphor and the hero moment for Rhaenys too much.

E: also I read the Beesbury scene as Criston trying to kill him.

I think Otto doesn't have the dragons there because Otto can't control the dragons. Dragons aren't props, they're obscenely powerful animals with wills of their own. Who on his side has control of dragons? Three unreliable teens/young adults: Aemond, who was just trying to undermine him with Alicent and seems extremely ambitious for his own ends; Aegon, a hungover mess who doesn't even want to be there; and Helaena, who seems chill enough, fair, but is also a kind of loopy teen.

I can easily see Otto coming to the conclusion that they are too much of a wild card to have at this extremely important event, and at this current point I'm not sure he'd be able to arrange for them to be there even if he wanted to. Which is part of the metaphor: Otto isn't a Targaryen, he's a smug guy from Hightower who's playing at being the king of the dragons. (I didn't read the book so maybe I'm way off base but whoever wins here, I don't see Otto making it out on top)

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 20, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Lary already lost me when he offered to take an eye from the Strong boys voluntarily, such a small time way to get back on Rhaenyir camp.

well it isn't like anybody thought aheh! this larys is a cool guy, burning down his family hey sometimes you gotta do what you gotta

the offer to take the kids eye, well look. that was a frank injustice and luke should be half blinded. that's just.

but this feet situation well that makes our very smart man larys actually seem like quite a smelly and basic man. a man who is turned on by socks. what kind of person is that. what are his wealth redistriubution policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

CapnAndy posted:

This is the point I don't understand. There is a crown on Aegon's head. poo poo is escalated. Either you're on team Rhaenyra Abdicates or you're already at civil war, and that ain't Rhaenys' team.

You can see that a situation is escalating and not immediately go to "and now I will kill a large chunk of my extended family and most of the state bureaucracy".

And real people have feelings and don't necessarily just go straight to murder.

Like, every time I read one of these things where someone has a problem with how a character acts because they disagree with it, I gotta ask : do you expect to agree with all characters? Because they're allowed, even encouraged, to make choices we disagree with.

The show has told us now that Rhaenys isn't the kind of person who gets moderately inconvenienced by someone so they use that as an excuse to burn them and all their loved ones alive in public.