Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Genjis and Sombras at lower skill levels aren't much of a threat though. Some of you act like you're always a helpless newbie against GM assassins or something. For every good one I see, I see three or four that barely get 1.5k damage an entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

If Ana had the super jump boots I don't think I'd have to play anyone else ever again.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It's really funny whenever I charge in for a pin and the enemy Kiriko pops up next to them. I can almost hear them making GBS threads their pants as I swing for an extra free kill. :twisted:

PhazonLink posted:

you know I kinda miss the endorsements for the other team. miss giving them during mirror duels such as Rein V Rein

:same:

E: Also, I want to ask: who exactly is the shop meant for?

Nothing in the shop seems worth buying, and I'm not going to buy anything in there on a whim or for heroes I barely play at $20 USD a pop.

Even if it is for a hero I do play, the skins in the shop are kind of new garbage or recycled old content anyways compared to what you can get only through the Battlepass (I mean, the majority of BP content is filler garbage too, but the BP exclusives are better than what you can buy in the shop).

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 20, 2022

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

comedyblissoption posted:

stupid bullshit you can do with mercy, 2022, colorized
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPI76usMOtE

This video goes over most of her OW2 tech for those interested in learning this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAqWz0KuuPI

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Splinter posted:

This video goes over most of her OW2 tech for those interested in learning this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAqWz0KuuPI

I prefer playing Mercy the most out of all the supports and still don't get how to do the Guardian Angel jump tech yet, so I'll be checking this out later. Thanks! :D

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
After getting placed bronze 5, I then won 7 of 9 matches to get placed at... bronze 5 again?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the dev team admitted to huge glaring bugs in the rating system on launch so it would not be surprising for there to be more

the devs fixed a bug where people were locked out of most of the characters only to reintroduce the bug like a day or two later lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also i think the nomenclature is kind of dumb and toxic around rankings

like the bottom ranking should just be called Casual rank or something

the ranking where you can do stuipd dumb fun bullshit and nobody should care

the current system says i think for a lot of players You Suck And You Should Feel Bad which is uh terrible

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

that's what quickplay and arcade are for

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

the current system says i think for a lot of players You Suck And You Should Feel Bad which is uh terrible

Bottom Liner posted:

that's what quickplay and arcade are for

Yeah, there are a lot of players in those low ranks that are still trying to play to win and to improve. Labeling bronze or whatever ranks in a way that makes people feel like they shouldn't feel pressure to try is just going to make trying to climb out of those ranks even worse. Also, I'm not sure labeling the rank in a "you're so bad don't even worry about playing to win lmao" manner is going to make people feel any better about themselves than the linear medal+number or even SR system. The last thing comp needs is people thinking they shouldn't be trying just because they have a low rating. I mean regardless of rank nobody should care (i.e. react in a toxic way to perceived bad/nonoptimal play), but I don't think making players feel like it's fine to purposely gently caress around in comp is the solution to driving that point home.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

skill is a reflection of attitude and time investment and the ranks should reflect that

if hypothetically people in the easier ranks took the game even less seriously, this reduces the skill level of the games and makes it easier for a determined person to "climb out of those ranks"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

makes it easier for a determined person to "climb out of those ranks"

It already is

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

honestly this is probably the easiest game to rank up in bar none, it is also the probably hardest game to rank up in. bar none.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

skill is a reflection of attitude and time investment and the ranks should reflect that

if hypothetically people in the easier ranks took the game even less seriously, this reduces the skill level of the games and makes it easier for a determined person to "climb out of those ranks"

Time investment sure to some extent, but attitude not really. There are toxic people and chillers at all ranks. If people stop trying as hard as they currently do, it will just make those people drop ranks to account for that. Maybe bronze 5 gets easier, but above that you either get the same players, or more skilled players that are taking the game less seriously. I don't think that improves the lower rank experience for someone trying to improve. I guess I just don't understand how "here is your rank, it's low so you shouldn't bother trying hard" is going to feel any better for plays than the current "here is your rank, it's low". And also how QP/Arcade aren't the modes for doing stupid dumb fun bullshit. The suggestion just sounds like you're saying if you're in bronze or silver or gold or wherever the casual cutoff is, play more like it's quick play. But in that case why not just play quick play.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It took me 6 seasons to finally hit diamond in OW1 after slumming it in plat for so long, and then I played another 6 seasons in diamond before I eventually dropped the game save for the occasional arcade session. I don't plan to go beyond gold rank for OW2 comp, at least for the first season. My goal right now is to get my support queue into gold and then prolly just play QP/arcade to ride out the rest of the battle pass.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

The concept of ranked competition in a team based game based on performance with randomly chosen teams is dumb and toxic.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The problem in every game is people think rank is something that can be just mindlessly grinded out instead of looking at it as your personal skill level. The more to actually try to improve the more you rank will reflect it. But most people don't actually try to improve game by game.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

RBX posted:

The problem in every game is people think rank is something that can be just mindlessly grinded out instead of looking at it as your personal skill level. The more to actually try to improve the more you rank will reflect it. But most people don't actually try to improve game by game.

Most successful f2p games with ranked modes intentionally under-report your rank for a significant number of games, and will matchmake you on your hidden MMR but display something lower that will gradually climb until it reaches your MMR at some scaled target.

They do this to drive engagement, and create a since of progress. Blizzard definitely has done it, as does Apex and Halo. Basically play until you stop ranking up and that's your skill.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RBX posted:

I had to explain this to my brother. He just thought with how the new rank system worked in OW2 he could just grind out wins to get out of gold, no matter how many losses. I was like, no dude, you actually have to get better if you want to climb lmao and told him to stop playing like a gold player if you want to get into plat or higher. I think he finally got it after he deranked and when he got another batch of 7 wins, he stayed Gold 5 instead of ranking back up lol. He was hardstuck low gold in OW1, so I'm pretty sure that's where he'll stay in OW2 if he keeps playing. I don't have the energy to get better anymore, personally. I'm happy with slumming it in gold for now.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah it takes a really strong internal will to get better at something. So many games rely on external things to keep people playing now that when ranked comes into play they think it'll just come over time.

MJBuddy posted:

Most successful f2p games with ranked modes intentionally under-report your rank for a significant number of games, and will matchmake you on your hidden MMR but display something lower that will gradually climb until it reaches your MMR at some scaled target.

They do this to drive engagement, and create a since of progress. Blizzard definitely has done it, as does Apex and Halo. Basically play until you stop ranking up and that's your skill.

This is another problem as they aren't being truthful in any game with matchmaking. Hence the "50/50" matchmaking meme which isn't fully getting to what it's doing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RBX posted:

But most people don't actually try to improve game by game.

i think it's more that they assume that improvement is a fully passive, rather than partially active, process. it's true to a certain extent that playing a shitload will eventually lead to improvement due to growing mechanical comfort with both aiming/flicking/whatever and with specific heroes, but it won't do anything to counteract bad habits, and mindlessly grinding can even reinforce them if someone isn't paying attention to it

this is where people tend to get stuck the most in ranked modes: they get mechanically excellent, look up pro player sensitivity settings, do aim trainers, and then spend half their games overextending a million yards away from their team into the worst possible fire angles. you gotta be willing to look at your own gameplay with clear and honest eyes and make conscious adjustments if you wanna punch up in rank

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
After sticking to more marginal fps games for a few years, facing the amount of toxicity in this game is quite an experience.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

RBX posted:

Yeah it takes a really strong internal will to get better at something. So many games rely on external things to keep people playing now that when ranked comes into play they think it'll just come over time.

Saying this makes me feel really old: aren't sports a thing anymore? That usually was the first social context where you learn how to internally deal with varying skill levels, training and improvement...

Well, nevermind.
I need another support to learn, Moira is instalocked too often.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

leftist heap posted:

So if you're getting harassed by Sombra/Tracer/Genji these days as a support and your team is doing gently caress all about it what do you do? Switch to Brig? I find it really bad on the new maps especially the robot push ones.

You get hosed and go have a little cry in the corner while your team yells "heal diff".
That's what you get for daring to play support.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Just had a terrible game . . . did a rare land into the tank queue. Went with the pig man. Started out nice, got a couple good picks, but I ended up last to die everyone was respawning. They patiently wait for me but as soon as we get to the target I get melted. Come back, get melted again. Then again. Switch to D.Va. Get hacked, hacked, hacked, hacked, and dead. Repeat like 4 times. I decide to play junker queen for like the second time ever because . . . well I'm not going to cop to having a lot of logical reasoning here. But I only died once after the change. End result, I do about 2,300 damage for the whole match (less than my average with Lucio), 1,900 healing, 700 damage mitigation.

We won. I finally won a robot match. Lol undefeated in comp as a tank. My only reasoning is the opposing team was having so much fun just absolutely merking me is they weren't paying attention to this robot that I was barely ever even to make it to before dying. There were several times my team just kept happily pressing forward the entire time I was dead and back with little problems. Someone even endorsed me. Must have landed in a group of charity workers.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Junker Queen is fun but I can't decide if she's good yet. The other tanks are just so ridiculous

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Zzulu posted:

Junker Queen is fun but I can't decide if she's good yet.

She's not, and it's a shame, because like you said, she's fun as hell.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Rick posted:

Non argument here.

Alright, fine

Sombra's ability to silently (or at least, quietly enough that players regularly won't hear it over other game sounds) ability to sneak past a team and immediately teleport back upon taking any damage used to be balanced out by her taking slightly longer for her to charge her ult (outside of medpack meta, i never want to go back), having to leave stealth (and make noise, so she had to do it further away or mid fight) to hack and her spread being big enough that she didn't just immediately burst characters down.

Now OW2 is out, the team has done what they used to keep stating they'd never do, which is make a big sweeping change, so now all she does is hack a tank from invisibility (which is almost risk free, i've literally never been stopped if i'm hacking from invisibility) and charge an ult by beaming into a tank, or she hacks a squishy and deletes them before they can do anything about it. The way to "stop this" is to hit a skillshot, because they also removed a bunch of CC, also buffing sombra (this buffed other characters to, see: genji)

I mean, I guess its fun for the Sombra player, but everyone else getting chain hacked know's its bullshit. Especially as you can start the hack off and move behind cover to finish it off, as they added a hack grace period. Now you can't even just play a corner to avoid it, thanks, balance team!

Zzulu posted:

Junker Queen is fun but I can't decide if she's good yet. The other tanks are just so ridiculous

She's bad but if they turn her numbers up she'd probably be my fave character, I like her aesthetics and the kit is fun.

Still don't think she should be a tank.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
The thing I've had the most issue with the buffs caused by CC removal and the new role passives is that people hear eg. Genji's ult and don't go "oh gently caress our backline is about to get sent back to spawn the fast way" but rather just go "hurf durf gonna keep facetanking the Pharah rockets like a good little minion" and then get really mad that they're not getting healed anymore because Genji just got a triple kill 50 feet behind them by holding W+M1.

I'm reminded of the current state of R6 Siege a bit in that the overwhelming majority of people playing this game don't seem to understand what "team based shooter" means and will just flame you because you didn't clutch a 1v5, but the pubbies in the loving Modern Warfare II beta would give you a "nice try bud, we'll get em next round" when you're the last person alive in an S&D round.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dogstile posted:

Alright, fine

Sombra's ability to silently (or at least, quietly enough that players regularly won't hear it over other game sounds) ability to sneak past a team and immediately teleport back upon taking any damage used to be balanced out by her taking slightly longer for her to charge her ult (outside of medpack meta, i never want to go back), having to leave stealth (and make noise, so she had to do it further away or mid fight) to hack and her spread being big enough that she didn't just immediately burst characters down.

Now OW2 is out, the team has done what they used to keep stating they'd never do, which is make a big sweeping change, so now all she does is hack a tank from invisibility (which is almost risk free, i've literally never been stopped if i'm hacking from invisibility) and charge an ult by beaming into a tank, or she hacks a squishy and deletes them before they can do anything about it. The way to "stop this" is to hit a skillshot, because they also removed a bunch of CC, also buffing sombra (this buffed other characters to, see: genji)

I mean, I guess its fun for the Sombra player, but everyone else getting chain hacked know's its bullshit. Especially as you can start the hack off and move behind cover to finish it off, as they added a hack grace period. Now you can't even just play a corner to avoid it, thanks, balance team!

She's bad but if they turn her numbers up she'd probably be my fave character, I like her aesthetics and the kit is fun.

Still don't think she should be a tank.

poo poo sorry typo I meant NO ARGUMENT HERE and apparently added an N in there. So sorry, I agree with you.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I think every 20 seconds JQ can buff her health for five seconds with 15 down, which seems to do a decent job keeping her alive in a 5v5. Otherwise I agree that she's just a DPS with a bit more HP, even down to her model/silhouette being too drat small compared to the other tanks.

Really fun to play despite being a potential liability.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Rick posted:

poo poo sorry typo I meant NO ARGUMENT HERE and apparently added an N in there. So sorry, I agree with you.

Lmao, that's pretty funny actually

Andrigaar posted:

I think every 20 seconds JQ can buff her health for five seconds with 15 down, which seems to do a decent job keeping her alive in a 5v5.

Numbers suck though. She can increase her health by 200 every 15 seconds? Zarya has that in the form of a bubble, except that's on a 10 second timer and she can hold two of them (plus the CC immunity/cleanse). Roadhog gets to heal 350 health on an 8 second cooldown, except he also has 50% damage reduction as he does it, so to kill a Roadhog who starts a perfectly timed take a breather, you'd have to do 2100 damage (or wait until its over, but they'll waddle out of sight before then).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

I think every 20 seconds JQ can buff her health for five seconds with 15 down, which seems to do a decent job keeping her alive in a 5v5. Otherwise I agree that she's just a DPS with a bit more HP, even down to her model/silhouette being too drat small compared to the other tanks.

Really fun to play despite being a potential liability.

Not only is her silhouette way too small for a tank, it's literally literally the same as Ashe's

Also, there's like 1.5 Tanks in OW2 that aren't just fat DPS.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

You get hosed and go have a little cry in the corner while your team yells "heal diff".
That's what you get for daring to play support.

Related

EDIT: Just cut down numbers of supports to 1 and make them also overpowered, just like Tanks, or something.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 20, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack Trades posted:

Also, there's like 1.5 Tanks in OW2 that aren't just fat DPS.

I think Zarya, D.va, Sigma, Winston and Rein all kinda count as true tanks now, they directly have abilities that stop your team from getting blapped. It's impossible for Genji to kill someone that D.va is paying attention to unless he burns blade, etc.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I think they did a pretty decent job with doomfist too. You can't ignore him, but he's also not getting a lot of picks without assists. I've seen some really masterful tanking efforts on doom with understanding of taking agro at the right time, and punching back to help supports.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Jesus gently caress the state of match-making in Unranked is dire. You'd think they'd *try* to serve up even matches but it's so utterly transparent that it's serving up 'expected wins' and 'expected losses'. The real enemy is not the enemy team, it's your tank who holds W from spawn until dead and doesn't even realise that they have a team. It's the Anas with 5K damage and 600 heals, and you know those were just when a teammate walked between them and the enemy.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

i dunno, i actually like being able to ask other overwatch players what their std is

...skill tier division

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Related

EDIT: Just cut down numbers of supports to 1 and make them also overpowered, just like Tanks, or something.
Your experience with support does not match my own at all.

Admittedly I'm at a pretty low level of play, but here's what I do to actually make a difference as support: pocket the tank. Even if your tank is terrible, a living terrible tank still draws a lot of enemy fire, allowing your team to do whatever it is in their capabilities to do. And since there's only one tank, having one up vs not having one up makes a pretty big difference, and that big difference is something you, as a support, can very directly affect a lot of the time.

As for the flanker issue, I guess I'm lucky that I haven't run into a ton of relentlessly good flankers at my low skill level, but generally I'm standing right behind the tank so if a dangerous flanker shows up I then stand in front of the tank. This either dissuades the flanker or makes it really obvious to the tank that they've dropped the ball when a Genji murders me right in front of them.

Of course this general scenario isn't always possible. It often requires good mobility to even vaguely stick with the tank, and sometimes people chose Wrecking Ball or Doomfist at which point my whole strategy breaks down.

I really like playing support in this game. It's a pretty novel experience that I find really satisfying. As one might guess from my avatar I like Gundam, so I really wanted to like Gundam Evolution, but they just don't really have support characters the way Overwatch does, and I am clearly worse than most players at the shooting guys aspect of these games, so anything but support is a miserable experience. Gundam Evolution made me really appreciate the how fun the support role is in Overwatch.

I can see from queue times a lot of players of this game don't feel the same as me but I figured I'd put that out there since it seems like folks are kind of down on the state of supports in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I've seen a few people in this thread ask if there's a Discord and idt there is - sh....should I make one? Goon groups could be fun who knows maybe we'll be less toxic, or maybe we'll be more toxic but in a special unique way