Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I know a lot of bad has been said of bloober but it appear the medium is free on ps plus. I'm aware of the horrific story but is it at all worth playing lol

I haven't heard anything good about the way it plays either. I also don't know how it runs on PS4/5, but I do know that the PC version runs hilariously poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I think there's a lot to love in there (new original silent hill, new SH movie for those who want it, Annapurna game) adjacent to a whiff of shitstink which is harder to ignore (bloober, television, figurines, and konami in general), so sort of a bummer for the people on board who are making an honest effort at creating cool new things. And yeah, at the very least there was no mention of NFTs at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I know a lot of bad has been said of bloober but it appear the medium is free on ps plus. I'm aware of the horrific story but is it at all worth playing lol

it’s really bad to play on top of its content

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The only thing Blumbo Team did that approached decent was Observer and that was entirely carried by Rutger Hauer

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nothing redeeming about it at all. If it's free then give it a shot and see how long you can stand it. It was clearly an audition for making a Silent Hill, and it's incredible to me that Konami saw it and was like these are the guys for SH2 remake.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think there's a lot to love in there (new original silent hill, new SH movie for those who want it, Annapurna game) adjacent to a whiff of shitstink which is harder to ignore (bloober, television, figurines, and konami in general), so sort of a bummer for the people on board who are making an honest effort at creating cool new things. And yeah, at the very least there was no mention of NFTs at all.

SHf teaser was cool, got nothing but love for Annapurna. Problem is, those are a bit poo poo-smeared by the "konami in general" part. It's seemed clear to me in retrospect that SH2 was an amazing fluke and Konami never had a clue how to build on it in the best of times. The thing I'm least down on is the new movie, if Gans has creative control then it'll at least be interesting. And I suspect he might do a better job with SH2's story and protagonist. I bet the movie would have been much better if that game had been the basis for it. Cult stuff was always the worst part of SH narratives, don't think it's a coincidence that the best loved SH was mostly disinterested in it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol rip

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

ShoogaSlim posted:

i am fuckin shook at the amount of SH hate in this thread

i had no idea anything silent hill was being announced today but saw the SH2 trailer when i fired up youtube after work

i nearly loving cried. SH2 is in the shortlist for best video game of all time and i dont even give a poo poo if its a hackjob remake (it wont be), getting to replay it at all is going to be so amazing and im so happy and gently caress any SH hater or denier

and that's the exact reaction they want you to have

ask yourself: does silent hill 2, one of the most perfect tone setting games perfectly married with it's clunky mechanics, really need a remake?
if it did, why would you love it so much?
it just doesn't. and if it did, it needs a very careful hand taking care to preserve the nightmare atmosphere of the original. even in the trailer, you can see that isn't happening. james's voice is completely stupid, some gravelly guy. that isn't who that character was

so does it just need a remake for people who think the textures are too low res? is that a good reason? for what i think is pretty much the only major video game title that passes as a work of art? pyramid head though right, we can market that.

it's so fuckin stupid dude.

so y'know, enjoy it if you can, it doesn't matter, but there are some very good reasons and bloober team, the brand i guess, is one of the many.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 20, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

then you have townfall which is a stupid loving name with a stupid loving trailer

it's just gonna be more bad silent hill poo poo. i dunno.

our best bet is the movie right now because at least it's a complete mystery.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Mid

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It took me an embarrassing amount of time to get that "Townfall" was a pun

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Tedium

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

this would actually be a good sh title

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Wasn't the reason Gans decided the mom needed to be around in the first movie because he didn't think it was very manly for the father to go searching for his daughter?

Like, if my memory is accurate about that, then I have some worries about the film adaptation of SH2.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I think he said people would empathize with a mom more and that it works better as a women - driven story but that was decades ago and I don't remember the exact details

acksplode
May 17, 2004

liquidypoo posted:

Wasn't the reason Gans decided the mom needed to be around in the first movie because he didn't think it was very manly for the father to go searching for his daughter?

Like, if my memory is accurate about that, then I have some worries about the film adaptation of SH2.

IIRC it was something like it's not believable for a man to love his child enough to go to hell to save her, so he made the protagonist a mother. But silver lining, this makes him super qualified to write for James!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

He thought that one change made it an opportunity for an entirely female led cast that wouldn’t be exploitative or only aimed at teen girls, from what I recall. Not a terrible thing.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I get that cynicism sucks but it’s a resurrected franchise from the company that brought you Metal Gear Survive before dedicating itself to gambling machines and the game is from the developers of The Medium. there’s a lot to lol at.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Silent Hill is also a movie where Sean Bean survives, which is a platinum rare achievement

acksplode
May 17, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I get that cynicism sucks but it’s a resurrected franchise from the company that brought you Metal Gear Survive before dedicating itself to gambling machines and the game is from the developers of The Medium. there’s a lot to lol at.

Cynicism sucks, which is why I'm not enthusiastic about Konami jealously ripping off Capcom's RE revival playbook with a fraction of the talent and community trust and a much deader series. Maybe show me you can launch a new IP without loving it up, walk before you run.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I just about got up and walked around the house after Unlocking the Ability to open the sealed doors in Tunic. Ha ha ha

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

ShoogaSlim posted:

i am fuckin shook at the amount of SH hate in this thread

i had no idea anything silent hill was being announced today but saw the SH2 trailer when i fired up youtube after work

i nearly loving cried. SH2 is in the shortlist for best video game of all time and i dont even give a poo poo if its a hackjob remake (it wont be), getting to replay it at all is going to be so amazing and im so happy and gently caress any SH hater or denier

Honestly the most exciting of the bunch is the silent hill episodic game being made by Annapurna they make really cool and interesting stuff and seem really hungry to tackle the silent hill Ip. Kind of like the A24 of vidya games

But as a fan of course I’ll play Silent Hill 2: REmake and Silent Hill f as well. Though I wish Konami collaborated with stronger teams

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I just about got up and walked around the house after Unlocking the Ability to open the sealed doors in Tunic. Ha ha ha

:D :D :D

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Is Mashahiro Ito not involved with silent hill f? The leak from a few months ago showed a modern setting but same kind of cherry blossom motif. Possibly this is a different silent hill project that isn’t ready to be announced

There’s also supposed to be a demo called the short message that even got rated. Maybe it’s a Sony tied thing

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So Sony raises the price of the PS5 and then introduces a $200 controller with back paddles lol

The PSVR is gonna be so so expensive.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MarcusSA posted:

So Sony raises the price of the PS5 and then introduces a $200 controller with back paddles lol

The PSVR is gonna be so so expensive.

Yeah it’s gonna be $799-$999 right? I think it has specs that are on par with metas $1500 headset…

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Yeah it’s gonna be $799-$999 right? I think it has specs that are on par with metas $1500 headset…

Yeah esp. in this climate I don't see how it can't be at least $799.

Like maybe if it could do double duty and be used on a PC that would make it worth it to me but besides that... oof

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m optimistic. The trailer looked surprisingly good. Bloober has a bad reputation but, maybe it’ll be like when Nintendo managed to get Silicon Knights to make a couple of good games before they went independent and fell apart.

but that was nintendo and this is konami

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

roomtone posted:

and that's the exact reaction they want you to have

ask yourself: does silent hill 2, one of the most perfect tone setting games perfectly married with it's clunky mechanics, really need a remake?
it just doesn't. and if it did, it needs a very careful hand taking care to preserve the nightmare atmosphere of the original. even in the trailer, you can see that isn't happening. james's voice is completely stupid, some gravelly guy. that isn't who that character was

so does it just need a remake for people who think the textures are too low res? is that a good reason? for what i think is pretty much the only major video game title that passes as a work of art? pyramid head though right, we can market that.

it's so fuckin stupid dude.

so y'know, enjoy it if you can, it doesn't matter, but there are some very good reasons and bloober team, the brand i guess, is one of the many.

and these guys are the FANS?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

Meta's pro headset is that expensive bc it's loaded with AR features that no other headset has, since it's for office workers. PSVR2 spec wise is looking like a slightly fancier Quest 2 that offloads rendering to a PS5. I'm a little concerned too but I still think there's no way it goes past Quest 2's recently bumped MSRP.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Escobarbarian posted:

silent hill fans? no. silent hill appreciators

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

So Tactics Ogre Reborn isn't cross-buy? And I guess you can't even buy the PS4 version from a PS5 unless I'm missing something. I'm sure there are other examples of this happening recently, it's a bit dumb, love me some artificial digital scarcity.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

So Tactics Ogre Reborn isn't cross-buy? And I guess you can't even buy the PS4 version from a PS5 unless I'm missing something. I'm sure there are other examples of this happening recently, it's a bit dumb, love me some artificial digital scarcity.

Product description says:
This product entitles you to download both the digital PS4™ version and the digital PS5™ version of this game.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

sh2 doesn't need a remake but i cant play it on my ps5 so ill buy it anyway and hope it somehow proves everyone wrong

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Baggot posted:

Product description says:
This product entitles you to download both the digital PS4™ version and the digital PS5™ version of this game.

Hmm, my bad, I guess I just assumed because there was no PS4 logo on the game page. I went to the Square Enix site and clicking on the more info part made me pick between PS5 shop and PS4 shop, and either version only listed a license for that platform.

Anyways, happy to be wrong!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

roomtone posted:

it just doesn't.

A remake, in and of itself, is not necessarily a bad or negative thing. Making things is cool and good, cynicism is cowardice, all that. The Wizard of Oz is a remake, and The Thing is a remake, and King Kong gets remade regularly -- the interesting part of remakes is preserving the familiar while presenting a new angle or vision. The Birdcage is one of my favorite remakes ever! Even within gaming, Metal Gear Solid 2 is an irony-poisoned remake of Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7 Remake is technically still a remake while expanding on the ideas of the original, Wolfenstein 3D is a remake of Castle Wolfenstein...I wouldn't even worry so hard about the team making it (witness Retro prior to Metroid Prime) except that they've shown themselves to be kinda incapable of understanding what made Silent Hill 2 such an enduring classic with the efforts of their other games. If you can't perceive what's good and your own vision is awful, the question everyone's asking is why? Until the team shows any evidence that they understand what drives such personal, psychological horror...well. A super pretty remaster that leaves the themes intact wouldn't be worst thing in the world.

Casnorf fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 20, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

what is fans in this context

the guy who likes the thing that exists for about $40 total including the ps2 if you're quick on ebay, and won't spend anymore loving money in the absolute car crash economy we are witnessing

or the goober who says yes pls $700 purchase thank you very much, one playstation and silent hill 2 please. no the new one. no i have that one. look wise guy -

it is, and i can't stress this enough, gonna be worse than the original. for 5 bucks and a diversion in 5 years, fine, but christ. big money for this bullshit.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 20, 2022

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
fans are the worst dont ever listen to fans

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fans go burrrrrrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

You gotta understand what it's been like to be a Silent Hill fan all these years. It peaked with SH2 and the last arguably good entry was SH4 in 2004. Then it was Origins, Homecoming, Downpour, probably some other garbage I'm forgetting, I think there was an isometric multiplayer action game? Good god. Just a string of disappointments. And then Silent Hills by Kojima Da Gawd is announced in the coolest marketing stunt ever, promptly shitcanned five minutes later, and Konami sets fire to its AAA development. Every SH fan was repeatedly burned by Konami and at some point over the past few years made their peace with the series being dead for good. There's not a lot of trust here.