Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

If you're fine trading depth of exploration for depth of combat, the Nioh series are probably my favorite souls-ish games and, although the levels you go through are basically full of hostiles, they're lush and it's implied that you're both helping people by doing this stuff and that other, peaceful areas where people live exist.

You also sometimes have like, just living people coming with you on missions so it often doesn't feel as lonely as the souls series can. Not to mention the friendly little goblins you can find that give you more healing items or the cat orbs you can find in 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cheers, Overload is one of those games I keep going, "OH YEAH! I NEED TO PUT THAT ON MY STEAM WISHLIST!" and then forget. It's bought now, I haven't played a 6DOF game in ages.

I might have a copy of CoJ in my backlog, cheers to that.

And I will look at Cultic. I'm not actually a fan of the "Build Engine But Actually Not" aesthetic, but for Prodeus and Cultic, I will try to look with eyes unclouded by hate.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Cheers, Overload is one of those games I keep going, "OH YEAH! I NEED TO PUT THAT ON MY STEAM WISHLIST!" and then forget. It's bought now, I haven't played a 6DOF game in ages.

I might have a copy of CoJ in my backlog, cheers to that.

And I will look at Cultic. I'm not actually a fan of the "Build Engine But Actually Not" aesthetic, but for Prodeus and Cultic, I will try to look with eyes unclouded by hate.

Oh yeah, Overload is fun on a bun (and if you like 6DOFs and aren't opposed to roguelites Sublevel Zero is also pretty good).

As far as aesthetics go:
- Amid Evil is going its own thing
- Dusk is imitating Quake
- Cultic is imitating Blood
- Hedon and Ashes are not so much "imitating Doom" as they are using an upgraded version of the Doom engine with their own art style

As far as I know none of them have inherited the most characteristic feature of the Build Engine, though, i.e. that opening a swinging door from the wrong side kills you instantly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

picking my next game*, choose my fate

- steamworld dig 2
- valdis story
- sundered

* while i play more CRYPTARK on the side. drat good game, that

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

picking my next game*, choose my fate

- steamworld dig 2
- valdis story
- sundered

Steamworld Dig 2 and Sundered are both good games, but SWD2 has a sweet grappling hook, so that gets my pick if you're not particularly in the mood for one over the other vibes-wise.

(Valdis Story was awful.)

quote:

* while i play more CRYPTARK on the side. drat good game, that
:haibrower:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SWD2 it is! Cheers :tipshat:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Can anyone recommend a fun grindy game? I Loved Diablo 2, Diablo 3, Borderlands 3 but have no desire to put any more time into them. Something like a fantasy Borderlands 3 would probably be my favorite game ever.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

luchadornado posted:

Something like a fantasy Borderlands 3 would probably be my favorite game ever.

Maybe try Enderal, the stand alone game based off of Skyrim? It's on steam.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

luchadornado posted:

Can anyone recommend a fun grindy game? I Loved Diablo 2, Diablo 3, Borderlands 3 but have no desire to put any more time into them. Something like a fantasy Borderlands 3 would probably be my favorite game ever.

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is actually quite literally fantasy borderlands 3. The meta setting is even the Borderlands characters playing DnD

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Chronicon is one of the better overall indie ARPGs if you're looking for something in the Diablo vein.

Honorable mention: Gunfire Reborn, which is very much "what if Borderlands was a roguelike?" and thanks to its cartoony Chinese theme gets you a mix of more traditional weapons and stuff like handheld dragons as your flamethrower equivalent, with some Destiny-esque "I dunno how it works but it makes bullets happen" type guns as well. As it's run-based it's not grindy in the traditional sense, but there is a meta-progression system to work through, multiple levels of difficulty to graduate up, and unlocks to pick away at which may or may not be enough.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is actually quite literally fantasy borderlands 3. The meta setting is even the Borderlands characters playing DnD

Literally downloading now as I came across it a minute after posting - it looks amazing.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Maybe try Enderal, the stand alone game based off of Skyrim? It's on steam.

John Murdoch posted:

Chronicon is one of the better overall indie ARPGs if you're looking for something in the Diablo vein.

Honorable mention: Gunfire Reborn

I'll try em all, thanks! I apparently own Chronicon and have never played it..

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Diablo like: come join us at the Path of Exile thread! It's very active and has good posters and the game is very insane but usually in a good way. If you're gonna be busy with Tiny Tina a while come by in mid December when the next league launches, that's when things will be popping off.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

luchadornado posted:

Literally downloading now as I came across it a minute after posting - it looks amazing.

I'll try em all, thanks! I apparently own Chronicon and have never played it..

Enderal is excellent by the way. Completely original world and story, fully voice acted, rebalanced combat and mechanics.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Looking for an open world (2d?) steam deckable game for plane rides. Eg something like the original GTA 2, or Morrowind but ideally 2d/top down (I am bad at first person controls on controller). Mostly curious if there are indie games which fit this description.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tildes posted:

Looking for an open world (2d?) steam deckable game for plane rides. Eg something like the original GTA 2, or Morrowind but ideally 2d/top down (I am bad at first person controls on controller). Mostly curious if there are indie games which fit this description.

Retro City Rampage DX is on sale for :10bux: right now

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Oh should have mentioned I’ve played that and Shakedown Hawaii already. Those would be definitely in this line tho, although I’d also be down for more moreowind/Zelda/??? style stuff.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

So Kainga is alright, but: is there a better Populous: The Beginning itch-scratcher out there?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

tildes posted:

Streets of Rogue?

Slightly different, but Heroes of Hammerwatch?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Vadun posted:

Streets of Rogue?

I was gonna say to keep an eye out for streets of rogue 2, which is in development - they say it'll be basically a 2d Sprite based cyberpunk 2077.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Oh that’s a good call!- I’ve played it a bit but a plane would probably be an idea time to really dig in.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Are the most recent series of Hitman games worth playing these days?

And if so, would playing 1+2 "through" 3, which seems to be a common recommendation I've seen, be accurate?

1 and 2 are in my library already, but if doing it the other way is a legitimately better experience, so be it.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The latest 3 Hitman games are absoluely worth playing. If you have 1 and 2 in your library unplayed then the best thing to do is to buy 3 because you can play them all in the 3 engine. But play then in regular order (1 then 2 then 3) from there. It can be confusing though which version to buy, I think there's a reddit post that goes into detail.

If you don't want to buy 3 right now you can just play the ones you have individually, but if you do I wouldn't waste time unlocking a bunch of stuff because it can be a pain to transfer progress into 3.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Does the Hitman 3 demo not work like the one for 2 where you can just play 1+2 through that without buying 3?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

John Murdoch posted:

Does the Hitman 3 demo not work like the one for 2 where you can just play 1+2 through that without buying 3?

It does work, that is how I am playing the first two. They're a lot of game, waiting for a sale to snag the third.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
any thoughts on this are appreciated:

elite dangerous :: mechwarrior 5
rebel galaxy outlaw :: ???

(aiming for kinda modern, mech cockpit perspective, pseudo-freelancin’ rags-to-riches single player kinda deal)

\/ i have the first and i like it a lot! :)

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 22, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

spider wisdom posted:

any thoughts on this are appreciated:

elite dangerous :: mechwarrior 5
rebel galaxy outlaw :: ???

(aiming for kinda modern, mech cockpit perspective, pseudo-freelancin’ rags-to-riches single player kinda deal)

Everspace 2. It's in early access but has a shitload of great content and is getting pretty regular updates.

Edit: Ok I misunderstood your post. Everspace 2 is a space shooter. Still recommend it though!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tildes posted:

Oh should have mentioned I’ve played that and Shakedown Hawaii already. Those would be definitely in this line tho, although I’d also be down for more moreowind/Zelda/??? style stuff.

If you want more of a Morrowind vibe then 100% play the aforementioned Outward. It's more Gothic than Morrowind but I haven't felt a game nail that feeling of getting your gear in order and venturing out to tame a hostile dangerous land in years.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Ellie Dangerous it's a terribly designed trash fire of a game. The flight model and audio design are superb, but the progression is a nightmarish grindfest once you want to engineer upgrades (which are mandatory if you want to do more than the most newbie-friendly combat). Unfortunately, it doesn't really have much competition, so despite its flaws, it is still worth a try. Definitely one of those games someone can play for 1000 hours but still leave a negative review on Steam, and I wouldn't blame them.

E: Oops, I misread your post, but I'll leave my rant up anyways.

Shine fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 23, 2022

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Everspace 2. It's in early access but has a shitload of great content and is getting pretty regular updates.

Edit: Ok I misunderstood your post. Everspace 2 is a space shooter. Still recommend it though!

I had a good time with Elite but I also wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. The Goon crew is very cool and nice and they'll help get you up and running, but the mechanics behind the "grind," and really that's all there is, aren't fun, so I can't really pitch it as a long term fun game. It's great fun flying around though. Great flight model, super amazing sound design, very cool bones, but it's missing a lot of like, game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Elite makes space mining fun and immersive and at least when I last played you could do enormous chunks of the grind very quickly through deep core mining. It makes a great podcast game. I'm not sure if it still has them but it used to have in-universe news podcast things you could listen to while space trucking and it added a lot to the experience. I'd go so far as to say it's really, really good if what you're after is the immersive sim elements. But the combat, pvp, and social elements overall are bad or non-existent.

I don't fully understand the analogy in the request because Mechwarrior 5 is an entirely different echelon of bad but you might like Mech Merc Company, a budget solo dev indie Mechwarrior game that's way better than MW5 and only costs $12, with a focus on sandbox crew management type gameplay. It has a demo
https://store.steampowered.com/app/984610/Mech_Merc_Company/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256756791/movie480.webm?t=1564670372

also it has detailed mech customization:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 23, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I appreciate that it's a small indie project but that has less uh.. feeling of 'heft' to it than even the DS MechAssault

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Theotus posted:

I had a good time with Elite but I also wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. The Goon crew is very cool and nice and they'll help get you up and running, but the mechanics behind the "grind," and really that's all there is, aren't fun, so I can't really pitch it as a long term fun game. It's great fun flying around though. Great flight model, super amazing sound design, very cool bones, but it's missing a lot of like, game.

Did you quote the wrong post or something

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I've played all the below games to death and need something in the vaguely similar "action-heavy with some (or a lot of) RPG flavor" vein.

Control
Cyberpunk 2077
Deus Ex, HR, MD
Fallout 1,2,3,NV,4
Horizon Zero Dawn
Nier: Automata
Prey
STALKER SoC, CS, CoP
System Shock 1,2, Bioshock 1,2, Infinite
Witcher 2 (meh) and 3 (gently caress yeah)

Didn't like any of the Far Cry games (except Blood Dragon lol), Fallout 76 , The Outer Worlds, the Metro games, GTA V or Skyrim that much.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The original Nier is on PC and might be up your alley.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

sean10mm posted:

I've played all the below games to death and need something in the vaguely similar "action-heavy with some (or a lot of) RPG flavor" vein.

Control
Cyberpunk 2077
Deus Ex, HR, MD
Fallout 1,2,3,NV,4
Horizon Zero Dawn
Prey
STALKER SoC, CS, CoP

Didn't like any of the Far Cry games (except Blood Dragon lol), Fallout 76 , The Outer Worlds, the Metro games, GTA V or Skyrim that much.

Maybe check out the Dishonored games, they're level based but the levels are open ended, and there's a bunch of different powers to unlock much like in Prey and the various shocks. Stealth oriented, but you can definitely power your way out of a fight.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

sean10mm posted:

Control
Cyberpunk 2077
Deus Ex, HR, MD
Fallout 1,2,3,NV,4
Horizon Zero Dawn
Prey
STALKER SoC, CS, CoP

Sounds like the perfect time to play E.Y.E
https://store.steampowered.com/app/91700/EYE_Divine_Cybermancy/

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Control
Cyberpunk 2077
Deus Ex, HR, MD
Fallout 1,2,3,NV,4
Horizon Zero Dawn
Prey
STALKER SoC, CS, CoP

Noticing a very glaring lack of Mass Effect in your post. Have you actually not played those?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

sean10mm posted:

Control
Cyberpunk 2077
Deus Ex, HR, MD
Fallout 1,2,3,NV,4
Horizon Zero Dawn
Prey
STALKER SoC, CS, CoP

Maybe Assassin's Creed Odyssey/Origins/Valhalla depending whether you're more interested in ancient Greece, Egypt or Vikings? Or, like someone else said, Mass Effect.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Maybe Assassin's Creed Odyssey/Origins/Valhalla depending whether you're more interested in ancient Greece, Egypt or Vikings? Or, like someone else said, Mass Effect.

Great rec. The newer AC formula is basically just large open world action rpgs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

sean10mm posted:

Control
Cyberpunk 2077
Deus Ex, HR, MD
Fallout 1,2,3,NV,4
Horizon Zero Dawn
Prey
STALKER SoC, CS, CoP

This feels obvious but any of the Souls games or Sekiro might fight the bill?

If you don't mind going more indie Streets of Rogue is basically a Deus Ex top down action-RPG where you play as a strongly themed selection of random lunatics and can do things like win an election by creating a million clones of yourself to vote for you or infect an entire building with psychedelic drugs.