Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Martin Luiga being a guy with a track record of animosity with Kurvitz and then going out of his way to defend him against the management especially to point out that they are manipulative people, well poo poo, that's commendable

Some people can be hard to work with but painting them as toxic in a way that benefits upper management should always be investigated with a careful eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Cicadalek posted:

This gives me an excuse to bring up a little interaction which I don't see mentioned much:

Accounting for players who decide to bring the bird back for Garte but who didn't actually pick it up is a an amazing little touch.

And still being able to discuss it with Garte

Reminds me of my disappointment of not being able to explore everywhere with Cuno. Understandable of course

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Something lighter for us all

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

the_american_dream posted:

Reminds me of my disappointment of not being able to explore everywhere with Cuno. Understandable of course
You absolutely can, though.

(He just won't react to anything).

Don't check the window before leaving.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm watching my friend playing Disco right now and for some reason the Scab Leader sounds like his voice is super pitched down. I played the game several times myself already and Scab Leader has a very unique voice so the difference in voice is really noticeable to me.

I even youtubed some Final Cut gameplay and no, everyone else has normal voice for the Scab Leader but my friend's game copy has it pitched down for some reason.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It might be something they messed with in one of the patches, they already quietly replaced a bunch of Jeans voice lines for some reason

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah they quietly replaced Titus and Jean voicelines sometime after the final cut update so I wouldn't be surprised if they did it elsewhere too.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I was late to this game and finished my playthrough last night. I'd been putting it off because I was kind of skeptical despite all the praise - it looked pretentious and tedious. Which it would be if the writing wasn't so drat good. I got on board from my game over 30 minutes in because Cuno made fun of me so hard.

I ended up playing very straight-arrow (thinker, quit drinking, boring cop, kind of fell into moralist by ignoring politics) with a dash of art cop, which was satisfying in its way but now I want to go back and try a lunatic shithead build because it feels like I missed out on a lot.

Also literal LOL at the gym teacher reveal, I had to stand up to collect myself.

Is it normal to have a ton of unused skill points at the end of the game? I had like 90%+ chance on the final checks and the skills don't matter at all for the last scene.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I was late to this game and finished my playthrough last night. I'd been putting it off because I was kind of skeptical despite all the praise - it looked pretentious and tedious. Which it would be if the writing wasn't so drat good. I got on board from my game over 30 minutes in because Cuno made fun of me so hard.

I ended up playing very straight-arrow (thinker, quit drinking, boring cop, kind of fell into moralist by ignoring politics) with a dash of art cop, which was satisfying in its way but now I want to go back and try a lunatic shithead build because it feels like I missed out on a lot.

Also literal LOL at the gym teacher reveal, I had to stand up to collect myself.

Is it normal to have a ton of unused skill points at the end of the game? I had like 90%+ chance on the final checks and the skills don't matter at all for the last scene.

If you have art cop you'll have an insane amount of skill points by the end.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My friend has triggered the thoughts for Fascism and Communism at the same time, and is currently playing the game with the working theory that the DE world is either the afterlife or limbo. (And reading the dialogue through that lens it’s not an unreasonable notion!)

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah they quietly replaced Titus and Jean voicelines sometime after the final cut update so I wouldn't be surprised if they did it elsewhere too.

The Final* Cut

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If I want to replay the game again then I'd have to acquire the version of Final Cut before they hosed up the voices because the new Scab Leader is really bad.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Omnomnomnivore posted:

depends on how 'optimized' you were playing. did you unlock every thought cabinet slot you could? did you put points into the skills you thought were interesting, or just the ones you needed at the time?

every skill has a handful of passive checks you'll only see at impractically high thresholds (for example, godly Rhetoric picks up on something interesting if you succeed at the church sidequest dance) but yeah, you don't ever really 'need' to level them that high

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

If I want to replay the game again then I'd have to acquire the version of Final Cut before they hosed up the voices because the new Scab Leader is really bad.

New Jean is a massive step back too imo.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

dmboogie posted:

depends on how 'optimized' you were playing. did you unlock every thought cabinet slot you could? did you put points into the skills you thought were interesting, or just the ones you needed at the time?

every skill has a handful of passive checks you'll only see at impractically high thresholds (for example, godly Rhetoric picks up on something interesting if you succeed at the church sidequest dance) but yeah, you don't ever really 'need' to level them that high

I did fill the thought cabinet, and even replaced a couple of thoughts that weren't doing me much good. And I mostly put points into things to let me retry white checks. I think my favorite random thought was inexplicable feminism, though, for the extra dialogue options.

Actually it wasn't art cop that gave me tons of points, it was Wompty Dompty Dom Center plus a high Encyclopedia level. I was a pretentious wanker that knew tons of random historical trivia because I'm only capable of role playing as myself.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Actually it wasn't art cop that gave me tons of points, it was Wompty Dompty Dom Center plus a high Encyclopedia level. I was a pretentious wanker that knew tons of random historical trivia because I'm only capable of role playing as myself.

yeah that's the key to getting more skill points than you'll ever need lmao

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Jack Trades posted:

I think he still works when you ask him about the photograph and during the tribunal itself but otherwise I agree... But maybe that's what they were going for.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I will never forgive them from tampering with Jean.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Remember that the bulk of skill checks are hidden - you don't see them at all unless you pass them. So if you were just saving your skill points for redoing white checks there's probably a decent pile of skill checks you failed without even noticing and never even got to see what you might have got from them.

Edit: This is especially true for perception based skills like, well, perception. With a low perception you will never have the opportunity to notice all the things you arent seeing!

Also, the game has quite a few difficult red checks at the end, especially in the church and in the vision quests. Did you really have 90%+ on all of those? That's definitely a crazy amount of skill points!

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 20, 2022

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

GlyphGryph posted:

Remember that the bulk of skill checks are hidden - you don't see them at all unless you pass them. So if you were just saving your skill points for redoing white checks there's probably a decent pile of skill checks you failed without even noticing and never even got to see what you might have got from them.

Also, the game has quite a few difficult red checks at the end, especially in the church church and vision quest. Did you really have 90%+ on all of those? That's definitely a crazy amount of skill points!

The drat Logic one. Need to get around to that at some point.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Edit: This is especially true for perception based skills like, well, perception. With a low perception you will never have the opportunity to notice all the things you arent seeing!

Also, the game has quite a few difficult red checks at the end, especially in the church and in the vision quests. Did you really have 90%+ on all of those? That's definitely a crazy amount of skill points!

Oh no there's plenty of stuff I wasn't able to pass, I just was surprised that I was pretty much able to land everything I came across on the island with the deserter and the phasmid, which I figured would be, I dunno, harder because it's the end game? But right, there's a ton of invisible stuff I probably missed too.

My favorite random NPC is Egg Head, that dude's VA cracked me up every time.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Omnomnomnivore posted:

My favorite random NPC is Egg Head, that dude's VA cracked me up every time.

Yeah!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I have to do an iceberg meme featuring the egghead/dolores/book/pale theories eventually

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

going bugfuck on my perception stats as well as being on speed the whole time let me ~perceive~ a hidden clothing item that made it SO WORTH IT

going through the whole final scene with the other cops wearing nothing but that little leopard skin onesie was an absolute hoot

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Y to the E to the A to the A to the A to the A to the A to the G to the H to the exclamation mark

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I lost a few hours to the thought stuck in the cabinet bug again :negative:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

With the recent ZA/UM news I thought "drat I should finally try playing the game again".
I got about 6 hours deep back when it came out and really enjoyed it, but just... stopped playing.

Instead, I did the next best thing and - taking advantage of being one of the ~million or so people in the world that understands Estonian - read Kurvitz's "Püha ja Õudne Lõhn".

It was good! Quite unique in it's prose, tough to read at the start, takes a bit of time to for it to "click" and to internalize the meanings of words that are made-up or perhaps transliterated from Swedish or Polish or Russian. Somewhat overindulgent, IMO, but it certainly makes it memorable. I imagine it'd certainly be a bitch to translate, though! Would love to read a sequel, as there's a whole bunch of story threads left hanging...
Same themes that are in the game run through it, like criticism of fascism, communism, social democrats, nihilism and so on. And that same dark humor, like a paragraph about the "baddest kid in school", self-proclaimed nihilist & communist ("if need be") calling everyone bourgeoisie. Here, let me try translating that part:

quote:

Zigi is a nihilist and a communist too. If need be. "Bourgeois" slips over his lips like a butterfly knife: "bourgeois", "bourgeoisie", "bougie", "bourgeoisie art", "petit bourgeoisie opinion", "you are bourgeois", "your bourgeoisie parents", "your parents are bourgeoisie", "that's because, Ann, your parents are bourgeoisie (Zigi even calls his teachers by their first names)", bourgeoisie slut", "bourgeoisie pup", "pederasty is a bourgeoisie disease, pederasts are bourgeoisie". Zigy is a well-read boy and also familiar with more beautiful names given to the bourgeoisie: "pursui", "bourgeois", "petit-bourgeois", "pürjel", "bürger", "kulak", "middle-class", "rentier", "landlord"...
His influence is huge. A fourth-grader with braids comes home from school and and asks: "Father, why is social democracy so weak?"
"Where did you hear that?"
"Zigi at school said, that social democracy is weak and communism is mighty. Why don't we have communism, father?"

(I am in no way proficient in translating and I'm sure it doesn't work as well out of context but I tried :))

Something I found interesting is that "The Pale" is called "Hall", which literally means "gray" and that in turn conjured images of a well-known (in that I'm sure almost every Estonian over the age of say 10 would recognize it, for example I remember that we sang it in music class at school ~20 years ago) melancholic Estonian song, with the following opening verse:

quote:

Kui on meri hülgehall
ja sind ründamas on suur hall.
Nõnda hea on mõelda siis,
et kuskil rannaliiv
ja mere ääres väike maja
ootamas on mind.

When the sea is seal-gray
and you are being attacked by the big gray
It's so good to think,
that somewhere there's sand on the beach
and a small house by the sea
waiting for me.
Especially that "being attacked by the big gray" part. Maybe it's nothing, maybe you'll enjoy the weird singing. And this weird post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am0p1vgvBzA

Gotta actually play the game now proper now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Angryhead posted:

With the recent ZA/UM news I thought "drat I should finally try playing the game again".
I got about 6 hours deep back when it came out and really enjoyed it, but just... stopped playing.

Instead, I did the next best thing and - taking advantage of being one of the ~million or so people in the world that understands Estonian - read Kurvitz's "Püha ja Õudne Lõhn".

It was good! Quite unique in it's prose, tough to read at the start, takes a bit of time to for it to "click" and to internalize the meanings of words that are made-up or perhaps transliterated from Swedish or Polish or Russian. Somewhat overindulgent, IMO, but it certainly makes it memorable. I imagine it'd certainly be a bitch to translate, though! Would love to read a sequel, as there's a whole bunch of story threads left hanging...
Same themes that are in the game run through it, like criticism of fascism, communism, social democrats, nihilism and so on. And that same dark humor, like a paragraph about the "baddest kid in school", self-proclaimed nihilist & communist ("if need be") calling everyone bourgeoisie. Here, let me try translating that part:

(I am in no way proficient in translating and I'm sure it doesn't work as well out of context but I tried :))

Something I found interesting is that "The Pale" is called "Hall", which literally means "gray" and that in turn conjured images of a well-known (in that I'm sure almost every Estonian over the age of say 10 would recognize it, for example I remember that we sang it in music class at school ~20 years ago) melancholic Estonian song, with the following opening verse:

Especially that "being attacked by the big gray" part. Maybe it's nothing, maybe you'll enjoy the weird singing. And this weird post.

Dangit, I want to be able to read the book!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I did fill the thought cabinet, and even replaced a couple of thoughts that weren't doing me much good. And I mostly put points into things to let me retry white checks. I think my favorite random thought was inexplicable feminism, though, for the extra dialogue options.

Just like how Contact Mike could never pretend to be what he is not.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Angryhead posted:

what does a translation job even cost for a book that size? 10k?

I’m sure between reddit and SA you could crowdfund it …………

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Angryhead posted:

"Zigi at school said, that social democracy is weak and communism is mighty. Why don't we have communism, father?"

lol this is great

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I visited Tallinn once. Visited the former Soviet prison museum, people-watched teens hanging around by the ferry port, dodged drunk brits on holiday, and drank good coffee. Had a nice time.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
We have communism at home.
A surprisingly good summation of social democracy.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Angryhead posted:

His influence is huge. A fourth-grader with braids comes home from school and and asks: "Father, why is social democracy so weak?"
"Where did you hear that?"

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Inspiration struck when I saw the Silent Hill 2 remake trailer.

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1583007436977602560

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

ziasquinn posted:

what does a translation job even cost for a book that size? 10k?

I’m sure between reddit and SA you could crowdfund it …………

The book's also included in the ongoing IP rights fuckery so that's still a while from happening

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Dieting Hippo posted:

Inspiration struck when I saw the Silent Hill 2 remake trailer.

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1583007436977602560

lol

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

SexyBlindfold posted:

The book's also included in the ongoing IP rights fuckery so that's still a while from happening

I mean as a little project......

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
black market translation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I had to kill some time and welp