Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

gently caress me what a birthday

Sorry I officially missed it but happy birthday Rarity :glomp:

e: 260 is the smallest number that is the sum of prime factors, with multiplicity, of the previous and of the following two numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Downing St texted Pesto after 130am to say any tory who abstained or voted against the govt will be punished.
This would explain why Liz abstained (even though she says she didn't & it was a problem with the voting card), I heard (ITT) she quite likes a bit of punishment.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1582895159775137794

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Downing St texted Pesto after 130am to say any tory who abstained or voted against the govt will be punished.
This would explain why Liz abstained (even though she says she didn't & it was a problem with the voting card), I heard (ITT) she quite likes a bit of punishment.

lol is she going to argue she didnt deliberately abstain

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So how many Tories is that queuing up for a BDSM scene?

Yes I know someone will reply 'all of them' a haw haw haw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lol it was clearly going to be a confidence vote and then they bottled it when they thought they might lose and are now trying to un bottle it because they won it and liz reckons she can consolidate power

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

OwlFancier posted:

lol it was clearly going to be a confidence vote and then they bottled it when they thought they might lose and are now trying to un bottle it because they won it and liz reckons she can consolidate power

To retroactively claim something was what you’d want it to be sounds so obviously corrupt I’m gonna assume the checks and balances on that has been “eh who would be so cynical to do it?”

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You guys should let Scotland become independant, then unify with them.

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why Labour should fear Liz Truss
BY JOHN MCTERNAN
John McTernan is a British political strategist and former advisor to Tony Blair.
August 3, 2022

The Labour Party are enjoying the Tory Party leadership campaign. First, 52 Conservative MPs resigned and defenestrated Boris Johnson, the party’s most charismatic and electorally successful leader since Margaret Thatcher. Then, the eight candidates to become the new leader attacked and ran down the record of the Conservative government that they had supported and served in at the highest level.

Finally, Liz Truss seems set to become the next Prime Minister. Labour can’t believe their luck. But if Labour think Liz Truss will be a walkover, they should think again. When the dust clears, they will be facing a formidable opponent.

For a start, Labour already have a longstanding women problem. The Conservative Party have had two women leaders, both of whom have become Prime Minister. Labour has a great record of powerful female ministers from Jennie Lee to Barbara Castle, but the highest position held by women in the party has been Deputy Leader. And even though both female deputies — Margaret Beckett and Harriet Harman — became acting party leaders neither of them became PM.

But while Labour needs to learn to take women seriously, they should take Liz Truss very seriously indeed. One of her overlooked strengths is that she has been on a political journey. Changing your mind is often thought of as a weakness in politicians, whereas in reality an unchanging commitment to ideology is one of their most eccentric habits. In normal life, we change our minds frequently and without fuss. As economist Paul Samuelson said, in a line so good it is often attributed to Keynes: “Well when events change, I change my mind. What do you do?” In itself, changing their mind humanises a politician — a particular asset in a time of popular revolt against out-of-touch elites.

But, more than that, making a political journey shows character. Three of the most significant politicians of the Blair era — John Reid, Alan Milburn, and David Blunkett — were great New Labour reformers who had started on the hard Left. Their politics had been tempered and strengthened by their journey. Liz Truss was brought up on the Left and attended anti-nuclear peace camps with her mother. She then became a Liberal Democrat activist, famously demanding an end to the monarchy to Paddy Ashdown’s discomfort. And when a Tory Cabinet minister she backed Remain not Leave, though she is now a passionate Brexiteer. Those surprised that Tory party members overwhelmingly see a former Remainer as the best defender of Brexit need to remember their New Testament: “There will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.” The redemption narrative is one of our most powerful stories: she who once was blind, but now can see.

The fact Liz Truss has been on a political journey also makes her a powerful communicator. Some of the most persuasive arguments in politics are based on empathy rather than angry disagreement. Liz Truss knows why voters find progressive policies attractive, which can strengthen the persuasive power of her arguments for people to change their views. And her speaking style is clear and simple. The listener readily understands what she thinks and believes. Her opponents who too readily dismiss her as simplistic are missing the point. Politics is not a mathematical equation — a ten-point plan won’t beat a five-point plan 10-5. The messages and policies that win are those that connect with the heart as much as the head.

The Truss agenda is straightforward. The educational system is failing kids. Grammar schools would identify and help some bright working-class and minority children. The cost-of-living crisis is hitting wallets and purses. A tax cut would give money back to the public. Energy prices are spiking. Pausing the green levy would reduce prices. Now, there are good arguments against each of these policies, but they are superficially strong one-liners. It takes time to explain how grammar schools distort the education of the vast majority of pupils who don’t get into them, or to make the case that there is a danger that tax cuts lead to more inflation. The arguments against Liz Truss’s policies are strong but they need to be explained. And, as the old political saying goes, “when you’re explaining, you’re losing”.

Populist policies are popular because they give a sugar rush. The former Chancellor is formidably clever, he has been a lifelong Thatcherite and Brexiteer, and the interventions he drove at the Treasury — both furlough and business loans — saved jobs and firms. And you can see his frustration as the Tory party members ignore his commitments, his record and his achievements. But his floundering campaign should be a lesson for Labour if they want to confront Liz Truss. Rishi Sunak has repeatedly come across in the leadership debates like the cleverest boy in the class. His hand is up first. His answers are always by the book. His contempt for Liz Truss is withering. And it is all digging him a bigger and bigger hole, because while you can respect the smart kid, it’s really hard to warm to them.

The biggest frustration for Rishi Sunak must be that while his resignation caused the fall of Boris Johnson, the former Chancellor is being painted as the continuity candidate. And while Liz Truss says that she wishes the Prime Minister hadn’t resigned, and that therefore there wasn’t a leadership contest, she is taken as the change candidate. One of the best jokes in the US TV show Veep comes when Selina Myers uses the slogan “continuity with change” for her Presidential campaign. It works because it is bizarrely true — and it is true because that is what most voters want. They’re not revolutionaries, they’re realists.

The Truss offer is continuity with the spirit of Johnson and Brexit while meeting the demands of the voters who were, and are, angry with the status quo. That anger has been the fuel of politics since the Global Financial Crisis — it was there in Brexit, in the Scottish independence referendum, in the rise of Corbyn, and in Boris Johnson’s 2019 landslide. The fact that such competing and conflicting political forces can harness that same anger signals that there is an underlying volatility in British politics that can be channelled in different directions by strong and intelligent leadership.

It is in leadership that Labour must contest most convincingly. Liz Truss will likely be undone by events. The cost-of-living crisis is of such a scale that it is hard to see any of her policies — or any of Rishi Sunak’s — that will be more than a drop in the ocean. To win, Keir Starmer must learn from New Labour. Attack the new Prime Minister and her government, but don’t nit-pick. The critique must be based on a vision of hope and a positive project that positions Labour once more as the “political wing of the British people”. Otherwise, Keir Starmer risks being just one more man, in a long line of men, who have underestimated Liz Truss at their peril. After all, there are no accidental Prime Ministers, and like the rest, Truss has guile, will and talent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

To retroactively claim something was what you’d want it to be sounds so obviously corrupt I’m gonna assume the checks and balances on that has been “eh who would be so cynical to do it?”

The concept of a what is considered a "confidence vote" like a tremendous amount of the british parliamentary system, is really not codified. Traditionally budgets are considered such, because if the government can't pass the budget then the country can't function, similar to the US government shutdowns which if I remember were over failing to pass the budget. But there is nothing technically that requires the government to dissolve over it as far as I am aware other than the sheer farce of trying to claim to be the government when manifestly unable to govern.

As, ultimately, confidence basically just means the government is able to command a majority, if they had failed to command a majority on a three line whip then that would de-facto be a collapse of government confidence because they can't control their MPs, but like, there's no formal procedure that means they would have to have a GE at that point. The opposition could table a formal motion of no confidence which would more be... I guess as close as we can come to requiring a GE to be held by formally dissolving the government, but it is entirely possible you end up in a May government situation whereby the government keep voting down their own bills but still rally around a confidence vote, in the manner of someone being fundamentlaly unable to do their job but still refusing to resign because they don't want to be unemployed.

So basically the concept of a "confidence vote" in this context is just... swagger, essentially, it's the government saying "yeah I am cool enough to command a majority and this vote will prove it" then they meet dissent from their MPs and go "oh poo poo uh but if I can't get a majority it's not actually that important" and then they do eventually get one and revert to "syke it actually totally was important and definitely proves I am cool enough to run the country"

Like it doesn't, and never did have, any actual mechanical significance, it's purely an internal dick wagging matter for the tories.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I mean even if you have the confidence of the Commons, once you start trying to remain in government when unable to pass the budget/"secure supply," you're in Australia 1975 territory and all the jokes about Charlie sacking the PM and losing his head very suddenly stop.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Well, it's Thursday, etc.

Me, to the government: Nice meltdown.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

millions of Brits woke up on Thursday and said 'Looks like the government had a normal one last night', while downing their Carling Tea Pies, and so it goes

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I cannot wait to wake up in the morning to see what fresh chaos Thursday brings :yum:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Reminder they were briefing the press that liz definitely voted last night as if the matter isn't public record.

Lol

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
They're saying her card didn't scan and that's why she wasn't recorded. Of course, if that was the case, someone should have video of Liz in the right room, right?

And now, in an attempt to beat all the Headline Writers to the good lines, here's a few lines that should have been used.

The Tories are having a Truss-fall problem.
The Truss Fund is empty of both spending money, ideas, and people with a clue.
Like Reagan said about Gorby, when it comes to the UK Government statements... "Truss, but Verify"

Any others?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
um axshully the government can't lie that's illegal

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

SirFozzie posted:

Forgive the UK version of Clancychat (Ie, Wild-rear end speculation about future events).. at some point there's got to be enough folks like Charles Walker, who aren't going to stand for re-election saying "You know what, gently caress it. It's not worth standing around for two more years of this." and voting out the government, just to get a GE (and thus end their terms so they can do something productive, or try to get on wingnut welfare, etcetera), right?

They don’t want it because they don’t want to be suddenly unemployed and unemployable.

If the Tories are in power essentially eternally, then an ex-Tory MP is worth bunging a few quid to, if you’re a company that interacts with the government in any way, as a consultant or Non-Exec Director to try to get a friendly hearing. If the Tories just collapsed in a shambles, the ex-MPs just catapulted themselves into the masses, except with no marketable skills. That’s what he means by “nothing as ex- as an ex-MP.” No salary, no subsidies, no prospects.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/Luiseach/status/1582805204604309504

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Just woke up, did the government collapse while I was asleep?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Noxville posted:

Just woke up, did the government collapse while I was asleep?

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1582980101456551937

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

H from Steps joins Dick and Dom in calling for an election…

https://twitter.com/Ianhwatkins/status/1582981578489180160

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The hits keep coming and they just don't stop.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...f08eb546778af0d

Some reports that Suella Braverman is to make a resignation statement in the Commons today. It would come after this letter heavily criticising the direction of the current government.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I guess it keeps the circus going but Suella Braverman is a psychopath and the “direction” she’s angry about is them telling her she can’t bomb boats in the Channel.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Todays papers. Even the flag shagging chip rags are going in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-63323097

They keep going with the smuggest picture of Braverman

Oct 4, 2005

Footage of Liz casting her ballot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqWAvu0TqsE

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The card didn’t scan is bollocks.

It’s still counted by hand alongside any electronic systems they set up and there is someone watching in case a card does not blip. This is what the tellers who go up and Ayes to the right 235 Nos to the left 236 is all about.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Grant Shapps used to be one of those 'youtube' business mentors who scam thousands out of people for questionable business advise and he did this as an MP under a psudonym. Now he is Home Secretary.

How am I only finding out abot this now, lmao.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Truss is probably praying that Putin pops off a nuke as its about the only distraction that will save her.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/jasemonkey/status/1582866518009708545

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

massive spider posted:

Todays papers. Even the flag shagging chip rags are going in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-63323097

They keep going with the smuggest picture of Braverman

David Frost: Conservatives risk losing chance to make Britain better for a generation

oh no

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Grant Shapps used to be one of those 'youtube' business mentors who scam thousands out of people for questionable business advise and he did this as an MP under a psudonym. Now he is Home Secretary.

How am I only finding out abot this now, lmao.

It's too on the nose that his questionable business advice seems to just be an ebook that says "sell questionable business advice to suckers, lol"

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://twitter.com/MichaelTakeMP/status/1582992153185497088

#teamjiz

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

You keep all your smart modern writers
Give me William Shakespeare
You keep all your smart modern painters
I'll take Rembrandt, Titian, Da Vinci and Gainsborough,

e: I didn’t mean to post in this thread, hope a few verses are all right

Clarence
May 3, 2012

learnincurve posted:

The card didn’t scan is bollocks.

Opens up an excuse for the others who didn't vote, though, doesn't it? If the official line is that that's why Truss' vote doesn't count, then they'd have to accept that from everyone else or acknowledge that it actually is bollocks.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SirFozzie posted:

They're saying her card didn't scan and that's why she wasn't recorded.

Like, she had her purse too close to her british democracy voting nfc tag and the vote counter insisted on reading her tesco club card instead? Is this a thing that happens?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Mike_Fabricant/status/1583002523333709824

e: oops paste fail

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 20, 2022

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Not overly impressed with this Charles Walker character. He's constantly catching himself to say oh yeah, I guess the plebs are going to have trouble too, whereas it's quite clear he's concerned only for his worthless colleagues losing their worthless non-jobs and that if tories are out of power he'll get fewer bungs for a while.

Oh, he's emotional? Not the party he thought it was? How sad. People are going to die because of his party's policies. Maybe he should be loving sad. gently caress him.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Clarence posted:

Opens up an excuse for the others who didn't vote, though, doesn't it? If the official line is that that's why Truss' vote doesn't count, then they'd have to accept that from everyone else or acknowledge that it actually is bollocks.

It’s short term bullshitery easily discovered because they can just look in the book for the hand records, and calling the tellers inaccurate and Hansard liars is 100% going to be brought up in the speakers investigation of the vote.

They think they can fool the public because the lobby are not shown on TV, they get squeezed through one by one so the tellers cannot miss anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Baconroll posted:

Truss is probably praying that Putin pops off a nuke as its about the only distraction that will save her.

She'll launch a second strike and nuke Paris, Berlin and Grimsby.