Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It's wild that something like DRG doesn't get an AOE skill until level 40 but DNC has two right from the start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Is there a way to get a glamour dresser in your house? I can see that I can have every other feature of an inn room except an interactable bed (And even then, I can /doze on one before logging off to pretend, but I don't get the entire-rear end flop my roe does in the inn) and maybe the Aesthetician bell.

I suppose it might be a coding issue, the instancing of housing is not the same solo instancing of the inn room, and might do weird things if you were trying to set up a glam while someone else was in the room. Or if two people tried to use the dresser at the same time.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dareon posted:

Is there a way to get a glamour dresser in your house? I can see that I can have every other feature of an inn room except an interactable bed (And even then, I can /doze on one before logging off to pretend, but I don't get the entire-rear end flop my roe does in the inn) and maybe the Aesthetician bell.

I suppose it might be a coding issue, the instancing of housing is not the same solo instancing of the inn room, and might do weird things if you were trying to set up a glam while someone else was in the room. Or if two people tried to use the dresser at the same time.
The official reason is it would blow up the known universe if they allowed dressers into apartments/houses and someone accessed it, that's why you can't have one. Or something like that.

The aesthetician bell is available though, it's called "crystal bell" and should be very cheap on the market.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's if two people tried to access the Glamour Dresser at the same time it cause an error that crashes the entire server. They fortunately figured this out on their test server before introducing the Dresser to live.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

couldnt they just make them only work for the person who owns the house?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think the issue is that people in different houses/rooms are still accessing it from the same server (housing) instance at the same time.

But the inn rooms, which are reportedly shared by everyone except the game isn't loading other players, those work somehow? I don't know, it's just super wonky and badly implemented overall.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, TL;DR: Glamour dressers are ten year old spaghetti code that they're afraid to touch because it's made of glass and full of things people spent hundreds of hours collecting and/or bought with real money, and "why can't we have X" always basically comes down to "because we need to figure out how to make the whole system not collapse whenever we try to add X"?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

girl dick energy posted:

So, TL;DR: Glamour dressers are ten year old spaghetti code that they're afraid to touch because it's made of glass and full of things people spent hundreds of hours collecting and/or bought with real money, and "why can't we have X" always basically comes down to "because we need to figure out how to make the whole system not collapse whenever we try to add X"?

You speak truth, also the only places glamour plates can only be changed was a lot of work to get them to work in any sanctuary and not just the main towns. I would hate to be the guy who has to figure out how to make new things in their engine instead of just iterating boss mobs or something.

It blew my mind when I found out that in order to change zones a Player Character's data in pretty much everything (achievements, fishing log, orchestrion rolls, chocobo racing stats, to name a few) has to be transmitted to the new zone and is the main reason player inventories are so small because there's a data limit on how much stuff they can transmit from zone to zone and if the PC's data exceeds that, it crashes out and logs you out of the game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

orcane posted:

I think the issue is that people in different houses/rooms are still accessing it from the same server (housing) instance at the same time.

But the inn rooms, which are reportedly shared by everyone except the game isn't loading other players, those work somehow? I don't know, it's just super wonky and badly implemented overall.

What I heard is that the problem with player housing is that if someone is accessing the dresser and someone else moves it, it would cause the world to implode. The dressers in Inns are nailed to the floor so it's not a problem.

Now you CAN have a Free Company chest is housing, which you'd think would generally work the same way, but :shrug:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
FC chests use black inventory magic, if duty finder pops you can keep using them unlike every other window/dialogue/option that's instantly locked down and unusable if it may touch your inventory or items in any way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

2.x is dragging friends . I知 up to keeper of the lake and the last two CT sections

I guess I知 near the end

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

euphronius posted:

2.x is dragging friends . I知 up to keeper of the lake and the last two CT sections

I guess I知 near the end
You're getting there! Now's a good time to take a break and try out the Hildibrand quests (it starts with The Rise And Fall Of Gentlemen, in Ul'dah, near the Aetheryte) and/or beast tribe sidequests and whatever else of ARR content you wanna do.

Edit: And if you've been wanting to try crafting/gathering, you've got flight now and huge wads of cash and can go anywhere and kill almost anything you need for 1-50 crafting.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 19, 2022

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I guess I知 near the end

Yup, you're pretty close. Enjoy your new snarky dragon friend.

e:

orcane posted:

I've occasionally wondered what areas would look like if all the quest-based "NPC appears here" flags were turned on. Fitting 50 PCs in an inn room is now part of that.

A dozen F'lhaminns behind the bar, an absolute swarm of Tatarus... No, wait, the group noun for lalafells is a "business"

Dareon fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 19, 2022

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Honestly I think it's a mistake to tell new players "you're almost to [X expansion/story point], the one everyone says is so great! Stick with it just a bit longer!" That creates the expectation that there will be a sudden and noticeable change in quality. The quality of a part of the story, as rated by the player base, is often evaluated in the aggregate, rather than in the micro-scale- you're not likely to "suddenly" start enjoying the game when reaching any particular point if you weren't enjoying it before. If you're struggling terribly to get to something like Heavensward, my suggestion is either:
1. You're focusing too much on the MSQ and burning out. Go do other stuff. At any point in the story, there's a lot of "go here, talk to this person. Now go across the world and talk to someone else. Beat a trivial fight. Now the Scions stand around and talk about what to do." I think mainlining that sort of things is a recipe for not enjoying it. But this game has a ton of side content and different types of stuff to do, so it's easy to take a break from the main story and check out other things. Really, do not feel like you're in a race to get to any particular point in the story.
2. If you're really not having fun, the game may not be the game for you! That's OK! The core gameplay loop does not really change, even if the overall plot and characterization may have higher and lower points throughout the game.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
There actually is an immediately noticeable raise in story quality the second you get to Ishgard, though. The story goes from a slog to a shining beacon to look forward to.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jinnigan posted:

There actually is an immediately noticeable raise in story quality the second you get to Ishgard, though. The story goes from a slog to a shining beacon to look forward to.

It depends on WHY you don't like the story, imo. I didn't find Ishgard to be particularly better storytelling than ARR / 2.x quests personally. I found the overall big-picture story to be much better, but the moment-to-moment storytelling didn't noticeably change to me. The dialogue is still way too wordy, character decisions sometimes don't really make sense in context, quests mostly boil down to "run back and forth talking to a lot of NPCs", and the story to gameplay ratio is still overwhelmingly skewed toward story with several-hour-chunks of story before any meaningful gameplay happens (which is often just a 15m dungeon or 5m trial).

And honestly? Most of those problems never get solved. I would say the only time I noticed moment-to-moment storytelling improving was in fuckin Shadowbringers, and even then many of the problems were still present (overly wordy writing, poor pacing, boring quests, skewed story/gameplay ratio, etc). That's not to say the story in FFXIV is BAD, just that there's a lot to dislike about it that does NOT get improved.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It痴 true it may not be for me. I may need a little bit more action between the story scenes

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

It痴 true it may not be for me. I may need a little bit more action between the story scenes

I personally found it much easier to handle the story by just taking it slow and doing plenty of other stuff. Leveling other jobs, crafting, gathering, fishing, chocobo racing, triple triad, deep dungeons, blue mage, etc. There's a lot more the farther you go, but even just once you're done with ARR there's plenty of stuff to distract you. The story REALLY relies on you policing the action/story ratio yourself. As mentioned in my last post, if you JUST focus on MSQ then you'll be spending several hours going through story for every hour of "real" gameplay - so instead you'll need to adjust that balance to your own tastes manually. Totally understandable if that's not for you, of course.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

You can also just not rush the MSQ and focus on action gameplay if you prefer -- I know the conventional wisdom is to beeline MSQ, but at post-ARR, you've already got the big QoL things taken care of, so if you want to take a couple days to just run roulettes or whatever, do it. Try a new class with a different play style! Maybe learn PvP -- I'm told Rival Wings is a pretty robust MOBA mode? My point is, there's stuff you can do that isn't nonstop story, and it's cool to take a break from the MSQ and do it.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, you have Palace of the Dead access, which is like all gameplay, if "FF14 is a roguelike now" appeals to you at all.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Antivehicular posted:

Maybe learn PvP -- I'm told Rival Wings is a pretty robust MOBA mode?

I haven't tried Rival Wings but that's basically Crystaline Conflict, and it owns hard. It's legit impressive how they made each job feel so distinct and unique.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, CC also seems like a pretty decent game mode, although I haven't played much and I'm kinda dogshit at it. Definitely worth investigating -- new PvP is basically its own game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Schwartzcough posted:

That creates the expectation that there will be a sudden and noticeable change in quality.

Although I agree 100% with this post:

CodfishCartographer posted:

It depends on WHY you don't like the story, imo. I didn't find Ishgard to be particularly better storytelling than ARR / 2.x quests personally. I found the overall big-picture story to be much better, but the moment-to-moment storytelling didn't noticeably change to me. The dialogue is still way too wordy, character decisions sometimes don't really make sense in context, quests mostly boil down to "run back and forth talking to a lot of NPCs", and the story to gameplay ratio is still overwhelmingly skewed toward story with several-hour-chunks of story before any meaningful gameplay happens (which is often just a 15m dungeon or 5m trial).

And honestly? Most of those problems never get solved. I would say the only time I noticed moment-to-moment storytelling improving was in fuckin Shadowbringers, and even then many of the problems were still present (overly wordy writing, poor pacing, boring quests, skewed story/gameplay ratio, etc). That's not to say the story in FFXIV is BAD, just that there's a lot to dislike about it that does NOT get improved.

And it is why I myself take generous breaks between pushing MSQ, there is undeniably a sudden and noticeable change in quality.

Heavensward Spoilers: Around the time you fight Ascian Prime, King Thordan, and finish the war with Nidhogg I'd firmly gone from "this game can be good at times" to "this game is great!"

Stormblood Spoilers: Now to continue you've got moments where I'm getting emotionally charged and eager to see what happens next really badly on story beats and even mid fight, though that had come up before like when ARR concludes. It becomes much more frequent now.

Shadowbringers Spoilers: And this is the one where this is my favorite MMO I've ever played, I'm genuinely sad to conclude the story and move on because I enjoy it so much, and FF14 has me in its clutches until it shuts down.

Maybe everybody says "it gets better at X" should say "if you follow the story and invest in the coming expansions the payoff is worth it if you enjoyed ARR, even roughly." It was definitely rough for me, add in everything Codfish said about MSQ patch-long quest pacing AND my being enough of a MMO veteran that 1-50 combat was mind-numbing to me.

Love this dang game tho. And the combat picks up sublimely, and since you're all discussing PvP: PvP combat good and unique! S'like two good games in my one great game!

ARR Spoilers: As I understand ARR had to be bolted together to save a sinking ship and characters like the Ascians really were placeholder generic Dark Darkness Darkly Darking villains, and so on. They picked it up and used it better later, but yeah things are gonna get better in quality when the crunch or die environment is relaxed, I wager.

Also while I'm on ARR spoilers, I was able to endure through to the end because the Empire were pretty good FF villains to carry 45+. So even before a new expac there was a huge spike in quality, though I appreciate the set-up of the various regions and conflicts for all the earlier MSQ errand running.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I feel like the big step between ARR and Heavensward is that the story becomes more planned and cohesive-feeling; they clearly had more room to breathe, instead of the crunch to get ARR out the door and glue together all the weird plot bits from 1.0. They get to really drill down and do more character stuff and discrete pre-planned plots.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jinnigan posted:

The first two hubs you get sent to are pretty boring and mostly worldbuilding filler before the actual plot starts, and then there's tying off ARR's dumb ending to chug through before the cool stuff takes over.

The big noticeable thing is the change in voice acting, only some of the new actors were introduced in late ARR patches, and some replacements featured early on are downgrades (Alphinaud, Merlwyb) so it's in no way a perfect bad to good dividing line for that either.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
FFXIV will always be wordy as gently caress and I personally enjoy it a lot because of that. I was that child that read the manual end to end and talked to every single villager, possibly repeatedly. Reading! gently caress YEAH READING! I like the world and the characters and I generally do not mind lingering a little longer with them all, all the more so the longer I've played.

I think it's hard to trust at first that ARR's plain vanilla story and crusty English VA are going to give you anything very promising. I'm sure we've all dealt with plenty of games where all the yammering is pretty pointless. I think it was somewhere in the 2.x patch section, about around where we were dealing with the newly-arrived Domans, that it hit me that even if some of this was dry and crunchy they seemed to actually be building something and taking it seriously. The real trick is not to go "it gets better in Heavensward!" but to let people know that all this is going somewhere.

Also seriously go do some side content, there's a surprising amount of stuff to screw around with even when you're not max level.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

good or bad there is a loving lot of it (arr) that was originally delivered over like, what, two? three years?

it doesn't need to be drip-fed over that period of time, but it's definitely not something to be plowed through, especially if the person telling you to do so hasn't done so recently

the interesting thing to me, as someone who's caught up to the game's current plotlines but reads this thread regularly is how many entire-rear end multi-quest plotlines people bring up that I've completely forgotten I've played through as recently as, like, two years ago?

hexwren fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 19, 2022

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the thing that surprised me the most when replaying the msq was the cutscene animation wasn't as good as I remembered it. there's some attempts like the shiva vs ravana fight, or the air battle before azys lla where you can tell they were trying some stuff out but not quite there yet. by 3.1 they start getting into a groove but it's still a bit dire before then.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Agreeing in the aggregate that ARR was rough, HW was the beginning of a serious uptick in quality, but the basic ideas didn't change a whole hell of a lot.

The main thing HW does is start giving characters character. A lot of the actions ARR NPCs take, Scions included, seems to be because "the story demands these actions be taken." Several Cutscenes Playing In Sequence is almost the first place you start to see that characters have their own motivations and goals that can conflict and mesh in interesting ways beyond "I'm doing evil, rar!" "Oh poo poo, we better stop him doing evil because we're The Ones Who Stop Evil." These motivations may be present and informing actions before that, but for the most part we're not encouraged to care about them or we learn about them either directly before or directly after the character stops being relevant forever.

In Heavensward, we start learning more about the personality and motivations of the people around us, both good and bad. Some of this is through cutscenes the WoL isn't present for, and some of it is through incidental dialogue as the Scooby Gang of the moment is hanging around waiting for you to talk to the one with the arrow over their head. But we get to watch Estinien and Ysayle clash and eventually gain respect for each other, Thordan's villainous plan make sense from his viewpoint, and Thancred punching Emmanelain for reasons beyond the second one being a terrible snotty failson. And then Urianger does a thing, and it makes complete sense and is awesome for it. People grow, and change, and we are urged to care about these changes.

But it is all delivered through often very wordy dialogue that you have to pay attention to. The amount of dialogue doesn't change appreciably, but the content becomes richer. I enjoy it all, and I'll poke everyone in the vicinity and maybe go back to someone they mentioned to see if they have something new to say on these events.

e: Regarding caring about people changing, I am looking forward to (post-HW, StB spoilers) working with Nero tol Scaeva on unearthing Omega, regardless of exactly how similar to Loki he is being right now, and I got spoiled that Gaius van Baelsar shows up as a friendly later, and am looking forward to that as well.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 20, 2022

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Keep in mind when talking about the hellcrunch that 3.0 was produced under crunch conditions just like 2.x擁t didn't let up until after HW dropped. It just wasn't under the same degree of hell as "making a new MMO in record time while maintaining and adding content to an existing one" that 2.0 was made under.

Anyway I personally noticed an immediate increase in quality at each "reduction of crunch" breakpoint between ARR and HW, everything after that up to where I currently am in early 4.x has been more gradual shifts in how the writing is handled.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
They didn't even have time to coherently settle the lore and background into a canon state that they could actually expand on until mid-HW, that's why so many dropped plot threads are stuff from 1.0, ARR, or 3.0 that seemed like it would be more relevant at the time. Once you get into HW patches they're actually planning ahead for what's next, because until they saw the sales numbers for HW, they weren't sure whether they'd have to abandon ship and put it in maintenance mode, wrapping up the main plot within the expansion.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Maybe everybody says "it gets better at X" should say "if you follow the story and invest in the coming expansions the payoff is worth it if you enjoyed ARR, even roughly."

Yeah, that's kind of the other point- people being told "it gets good at Heavensward" or "at Shadowbringers" may be more inclined to rush through the story and not pay attention before then, which means they miss out on all the foundation building and will end up enjoying HW and ShB less. I have at least one friend that skipped cutscenes up to Shadowbringers, and then didn't really get what the praise was about. They've started a new character and are actually watching the story now, but it'd be better if people didn't get the impression that the early stuff just has to be slogged through and ignored to get to the good stuff- the good stuff is good partly because of the world and character building that came before.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I wish that every time an NPC was like, "remember me? You brought me a beer two expansions ago" our character would wince and we'd get a single-screenshot flashback.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Heran Bago posted:

I wish that every time an NPC was like, "remember me? You brought me a beer two expansions ago" our character would wince and we'd get a single-screenshot flashback.

that happens to me irl every time someone in party finder says "oh hey I think we progged x raid together last week" except its a memory of our corpses together directly on my clock spot.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Heran Bago posted:

My memory is completely shredded and I took a several month break right around the Company of Heroes section, so when you recruit a bunch of people for the Crystal Braves I thought all but one were new characters getting introduced at first, until I finally recognized one of them and checked who the hell I had been talking to. Lot of bit characters to remember, too many for me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SkyeAuroline posted:

My memory is completely shredded and I took a several month break right around the Company of Heroes section, so when you recruit a bunch of people for the Crystal Braves I thought all but one were new characters getting introduced at first, until I finally recognized one of them and checked who the hell I had been talking to. Lot of bit characters to remember, too many for me.

It makes more sense if the WoL has forgotten who those people are.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

My power fantasy is being able to remember names and faces of people I work with.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The wol could just be on the spectrum .

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I知 planning to try and get all (well, most) jobs to 70 before I kick off Endwalker, and I知 looking forward to getting Paladin (bad quests, holy) to 60, then immediately abandoning it for Dark Knight (good quests, edgy) as a bit of personal narrative.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I usually remember the character/event but not their name during those callbacks. I'm bad with names. The WoL at least has the excuse of getting hit in the head a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

FuturePastNow posted:

The WoL at least has the excuse of getting hit in the head a lot.

A later 'remember me?' moment actually lets the WoL blame his lifestyle of repeated head traumas for not remembering the person. I enjoyed that. (Slightly less because I did, in fact, remember that particular person.)