Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
A virus with a bloated memory footprint is a new one to me. Was this actually some sort of cryptominer malware or something?

RGX posted:

Perhaps "infallible" was a poor choice of words, I have seen people on this forum and others say that Defender is all you need. I would say after recent experience that may not be the case.

This is the normal reply to people asking if they should get / buy a different anti-virus to replace Defender. If one has reason to suspect an active infection or malware, alternate scanners are obviously a good idea. If Defender didn't catch it when it first showed up, it probably won't a week later either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Best protection is ublock origin.. I'm sure ads are one of the main malware vectors

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Windows 11 2022 Update is now available for download:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows11

Most of the initial drawbacks to updating from Windows 10, for me anyway, are addressed in this release, mainly drag and drop using the taskbar.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11 would be the US locale version

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's not showing up when I automatically check for updates on my lone Windows 11 device, and I was just about to go manually install it when I remembered this is a Windows Update we're talking about. I think I'll give it a day or two to see if news comes out that it does something like make printers sentient and bloodthirsty, or delete all my data on this machine and the 5 that I've owned previously or something like that before pulling the trigger on the update.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's not showing up when I automatically check for updates on my lone Windows 11 device, and I was just about to go manually install it when I remembered this is a Windows Update we're talking about. I think I'll give it a day or two to see if news comes out that it does something like make printers sentient and bloodthirsty, or delete all my data on this machine and the 5 that I've owned previously or something like that before pulling the trigger on the update.

Fair enough idea, the good thing is that the build and its incremental updates have been in the release preview channel for a few months now and there don't seem to be any showstoppers. The latest cumulative update was released on 13th September and it all seems fairly unexciting, which is what you want.

I haven't installed StartAllBack since I upgraded to 22H2 a few months ago and my workflow hasn't needed to change. Still amazes me that they took a year to add drag and drop on the taskbar, I really wonder who's in charge over there.

The Media Creation Tool lets you download any locale, I'm not sure why they supply direct download links to specific languages outside of it?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Fair enough idea, the good thing is that the build and its incremental updates have been in the release preview channel for a few months now and there don't seem to be any showstoppers. The latest cumulative update was released on 13th September and it all seems fairly unexciting, which is what you want.

I haven't installed StartAllBack since I upgraded to 22H2 a few months ago and my workflow hasn't needed to change. Still amazes me that they took a year to add drag and drop on the taskbar, I really wonder who's in charge over there.

The Media Creation Tool lets you download any locale, I'm not sure why they supply direct download links to specific languages outside of it?

Not allowing taskbar resizing/customization, or even just a toggle for small icons, is a big reason why I only have 11 on a single device that came with it preinstalled. It's a 2-in-1 so the bigger taskbar actually is okay there, but otherwise I just haven't seen a good reason to switch my desktops from Windows 10 yet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I installed the new ver of 11. Works fine.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Not allowing taskbar resizing/customization, or even just a toggle for small icons, is a big reason why I only have 11 on a single device that came with it preinstalled. It's a 2-in-1 so the bigger taskbar actually is okay there, but otherwise I just haven't seen a good reason to switch my desktops from Windows 10 yet.

I got Object Desktop (from Stardock?) at a massive discount for posting something nice about Fences on a review, and Good Lord is it a difference. You can customize everything, from animated backgrounds on multi monitor setups to sounds and cursors. It took away the 10 freeware programs I had been using for Windows customizing and removed the need. Hell, my start button is an animated version of Doomguy’s (1993) head.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
How have people found installing 11 on an unsupported system? I have an i7-7700K and don't really use my PC enough atm to justify a hardware upgrade, but I like shiny new software updates.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

101 posted:

How have people found installing 11 on an unsupported system? I have an i7-7700K and don't really use my PC enough atm to justify a hardware upgrade, but I like shiny new software updates.

It works fine for now, the potential for something negative is that some day MS may block your PC from getting an update.

(There is a legit reason for this other than MS wanting you to buy a new PC: if they turn on memory isolation security as a default in the future, it will have bad performance for unsupported CPUs. This is probably why the support list is so small in the first place.)

My bet is that if this ever happens it will be during a big annual update, and you'll be able to force-install it with the same type of work-around that you used to install W11 on unsupported hardware to begin with. So not a big deal if you're aware that it may happen.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Klyith posted:

It works fine for now, the potential for something negative is that some day MS may block your PC from getting an update.

(There is a legit reason for this other than MS wanting you to buy a new PC: if they turn on memory isolation security as a default in the future, it will have bad performance for unsupported CPUs. This is probably why the support list is so small in the first place.)

My bet is that if this ever happens it will be during a big annual update, and you'll be able to force-install it with the same type of work-around that you used to install W11 on unsupported hardware to begin with. So not a big deal if you're aware that it may happen.

The 7700k supports memory isolation security in hardware. Microsoft is silent on why it and other Kaby Lake processors aren't on the supported list.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

101 posted:

I have it installed on our ancient Ivy Bridge-era laptop, a dual core hyperthrraded affair with 4GB RAM. Just used good old Rufus to create the disc image from the ISO and I've had no problems with it for a year, with the expectation that a future update could fail.

Can you dual boot to see what it runs like for a few days before deciding whether to hose the disk and reinstall completely?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

101 posted:

I have an i7-3770 with 16 gigs of RAM and it works great. Literally zero problems.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 21, 2022

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
In the latest update for Windows 11, is the bar in the volume/brightness popups broken? The small sun/speaker icon changes really slightly, but not enough to really tell the difference between like 0-50-100%. Volume at least also has the number to the right. I can click and drag on the bar to adjust the level, but it is one solid color. Seems unintentional.

e; Nice. (I'm clicking on the bar)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 5, 2022

astral
Apr 26, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

In the latest update for Windows 11, is the bar in the volume/brightness popups broken? The small sun/speaker icon changes really slightly, but not enough to really tell the difference between like 0-50-100%. Volume at least also has the number to the right. I can click and drag on the bar to adjust the level, but it is one solid color. Seems unintentional.

e; Nice. (I'm clicking on the bar)

There's a separate thread for Win11; you might have better luck there.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
My internal PC clock has suddenly started losing sync. It gets up to 15+ mins behind of what time it should be.

A forced sync with the Windows time server, or pool.ntp fixes it. But I'm not sure how often that happens regularly before this was a problem, so I wonder if my internal clock itself is way out of whack?

My machine's gone through a lot of hardware changes in the last two weeks, but I'm not sure which of these could have any influence on something like this. Possibly any, possibly none?

- Overclocked my CPU (AMD Ryzen 1700 3Mhz -> 3.7Mhz)
- Upgraded my GPU (1080ti to 2080ti)
- Put in a new secondary SSD hard drive
- Replaced a PCI WiFi card

The voltage and temps on my CPU have stayed safe, though that's the first thing here I'm thinking could possibly be a culprit? Can that even be a thing? Just spitballing here.

Any way to do a good diagnosis of internal clock accuracy, or whatever else is causing this?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

First step is to replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard. Only costs a couple bucks.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

GeorgieMordor posted:

My internal PC clock has suddenly started losing sync. It gets up to 15+ mins behind of what time it should be.

A forced sync with the Windows time server, or pool.ntp fixes it. But I'm not sure how often that happens regularly before this was a problem, so I wonder if my internal clock itself is way out of whack?

My machine's gone through a lot of hardware changes in the last two weeks, but I'm not sure which of these could have any influence on something like this. Possibly any, possibly none?

- Overclocked my CPU (AMD Ryzen 1700 3Mhz -> 3.7Mhz)
- Upgraded my GPU (1080ti to 2080ti)
- Put in a new secondary SSD hard drive
- Replaced a PCI WiFi card

The voltage and temps on my CPU have stayed safe, though that's the first thing here I'm thinking could possibly be a culprit? Can that even be a thing? Just spitballing here.

Any way to do a good diagnosis of internal clock accuracy, or whatever else is causing this?

First thing I'd do is put in a fresh CMOS battery (usually a 2032). They can last for years and years, but it's a cheap first step.

When you overclocked, did you adjust the Base Clock? Depending on the board, it might be possible with Ryzen (I know it is on Intel). But I haven't messed with overclocking since the Duron days. If you did, that effects the power to everything on the motherboard, and it could effect the internal clock. I'd suggest Ryzen Master for overclocking, or if the motherboard manufacturer offers a program to.

Best bet is the CMOS battery is dead.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

Koskun posted:

First thing I'd do is put in a fresh CMOS battery (usually a 2032). They can last for years and years, but it's a cheap first step.

When you overclocked, did you adjust the Base Clock? Depending on the board, it might be possible with Ryzen (I know it is on Intel). But I haven't messed with overclocking since the Duron days. If you did, that effects the power to everything on the motherboard, and it could effect the internal clock. I'd suggest Ryzen Master for overclocking, or if the motherboard manufacturer offers a program to.

Best bet is the CMOS battery is dead.

Ha, haven't thought of a CMOS battery in forever. Good suggestion -- I'll give that a shot regardless.

I did use my BIOS to adjust my overclocking, so also maybe that's the problem too. I'll give Ryzen Master a shot and see if that makes any difference.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Windows 10 22H2 is now officially released. Get your ISOs here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Did they skip 22H1? I'm still running 21H2 and I don't recall seeing any notification for H1.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ofecks posted:

Did they skip 22H1? I'm still running 21H2 and I don't recall seeing any notification for H1.

Windows moved to one big update a year. And Windows 10 to life support.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Ofecks posted:

Microsoft has switched back to yearly updates for Windows 10 as of 21H2 and I think there will be precious little feature development until its retired. It'll still get at least another few years of bug fixes and security updates of course.

E:F,b.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Im shell shocked from Win 11 22H2 eating poo poo on my 12th gen Intel. Full system freezes! Downgraded to Win 10 and full stability back. I don't like this one bit, no sir.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

redeyes posted:

Im shell shocked from Win 11 22H2 eating poo poo on my 12th gen Intel. Full system freezes! Downgraded to Win 10 and full stability back. I don't like this one bit, no sir.

poo poo, were you able to find out what the problem was? (Joke answer: Windows 11)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Microsoft has switched back to yearly updates for Windows 10 as of 21H2 and I think there will be precious little feature development until its retired. It'll still get at least another few years of bug fixes and security updates of course.

E:F,b.

I had a hunch it was this, thanks for confirming. I plan to ride this train to the end of the line, since my CPU isn't officially supported by Win11.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

redeyes posted:

That seems super weird. What's your hardware setup?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ofecks posted:

I had a hunch it was this, thanks for confirming. I plan to ride this train to the end of the line, since my CPU isn't officially supported by Win11.

Mine isn't either but I've had no problems with 11. It's just that most people also don't have a lot of reasons to upgrade lol.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Weirdly specific question. You know how modern browsers let you click on a text box and drag it around to resize it.

That doesn’t work with all text boxes. Is there any way to ‘force’ your browser to enable that feature? Preferably in Firefox or chrome.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Sri.Theo posted:

Weirdly specific question. You know how modern browsers let you click on a text box and drag it around to resize it.

That doesn’t work with all text boxes. Is there any way to ‘force’ your browser to enable that feature? Preferably in Firefox or chrome.

I'm assuming this is the design of the page and a control option of the textbox. It is unlikely that a browser itself would have an option for this. That said, since it's in a browser, you basically have carte blanche to modify anything that gets rendered, so an addon could probably do it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like that should be doable with a very simple userscript, but also, it's possibly insanely complicated to have it work consistently with how modern html often isn't html at all

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Annoying, but thanks anyway. Some Googling says that websites just need to enable textarea resize in CSS but many don’t.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
edit: removed, misread original post

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 20, 2022

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Sri.Theo posted:

Annoying, but thanks anyway. Some Googling says that websites just need to enable textarea resize in CSS but many don’t.

If it is an occasional occurrence, you can right-click the input box, then select Inspect (both in Firefox and Chrome). You can then edit the live HTML and CSS directly for that element if you know what to modify.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Truga posted:

I feel like that should be doable with a very simple userscript, but also, it's possibly insanely complicated to have it work consistently with how modern html often isn't html at all

I sometimes think about this article and sigh. Like all good satire, it seems uncomfortably close to reality.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
QQ, what's a keyboard command to force a safe shutdown when I've lost all video output and there may be things running that are prompting to be saved or something?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mozi posted:

QQ, what's a keyboard command to force a safe shutdown when I've lost all video output and there may be things running that are prompting to be saved or something?

ctrl+win+enter to start Narrator and try to navigate through everything blind?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Mozi posted:

You can try pressing alt+f4 a couple of times and then press enter. Or just press the power button on your pc. It will initiate proper shutdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

ctrl+win+enter to start Narrator and try to navigate through everything blind?

Adding on to this, the keystrokes to select Shut Down will be something like:
Win, Tab, Down x5, Space, Down x1, Enter

The exact number of Down presses will depend on your setup, so you will need Narrator to tell you where you are right now.