Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1526314444074131457

dunno who this guy is but the clip is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

don't care about any of this stuff but the games stink and that's all that matters

cool! then you don't have to comment

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
the medium is one of like 3 games i can think of that takes inspiration from one of my favorite artists, zdzislaw beksinski, which alone makes me want to play it (the other two being scorn and then returnal to a lesser extent). also btw, i played scorn and it's one of the most like, nihilistic, hosed up, grotesque and relentless games i can think of, and not just in the over the top gory rear end visuals, which are basically just like HR Giger with Beksinski style organic growths over the top of an abandoned giger civilization, i mean the whole story and every single thing about it. i don't think there's even a shred of positivity in the entire game. At most, there's nothing that will make you even half smile, like.. maybe the way a cadaver flops into a hole in a strange way then lands with a weird squelch, but that's it. good game though!

imhotep fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 20, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

cool! then you don't have to comment

i want to though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

imhotep posted:

the medium is one of like 3 games i can think of that takes inspiration from one of my favorite artists, zdzislaw beksinski, which alone makes me want to play it

it's loving atrocious, don't play it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Allright spell it out for me then. Thats a pretty hefty load of accusations plz back it up and tell me about it. I know you played Observer. What other games have you played? Tell me more about the trend chasing, stealing, patents, and misogyny. I'm not even coming at you I genuinely want to know, but I'd like more than a bullet point list since I really don't know what you are talking about for the most part. I roughly know about the thing in the medium people didn't like, but never got there myself cause it was boring and I deleted it.

Well the trend chasing boils down to making egregious copycats of PT, Diner Dash, Guitar Hero, Lemmings, Awesomenauts, Bomberman, etc. Whether that's plagiarism to anyone or not is whatever, but it's done extremely cynically. They used people's paintings in Layers of Fear without credit. They take screenshots from films and just doctor them up badly for their own use. They pull direct visual and design references from old films and games and use them as their own shamelessly, yet they patented the whole 'split world' concept in The Medium to lock design ideas away despite cutting their teeth in the industry on the design ideas of others.

"The idea of having two worlds and so on, we have a patent. We are very proud of it...this kind of technology, it's restricted to our game. If ever, I don't know, Activision or Sony, or whoever, would want to use something similar to what we are using right now they would need to ask us for permission."

- Tomasz Gawlkikowski

As far as general weird thematic stuff is concerned, outside of their lame copycat of Lisa in Layers of Fear and just the...gross vibes I got from that game, Bloob also tried to make a game in 2010 called "Gender Wars", which, if you look it up is as bad as it sounds. I don't really feel like going on, as I don't think they are worth talking about ftmp. If Silent Hill 2 remake ends up being amazing then I will be pleased for the happy fans.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what’s wrong with a game where a character is a pedo because of the holocaust. please advise

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escobarbarian posted:

what’s wrong with a game where a character is a pedo because of the holocaust. please advise

Cuz hes a fuckin nonce mate.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
This headline lmao even phil wants sony to release some goddamn games

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1583017427876868096?t=9zSuZaGAaE-5XCdDv643lA&s=19

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

imhotep posted:

the medium is one of like 3 games i can think of that takes inspiration from one of my favorite artists, zdzislaw beksinski, which alone makes me want to play it (the other two being scorn and then returnal to a lesser extent). also btw, i played scorn and it's one of the most like, nihilistic, hosed up, grotesque and relentless games i can think of, and not just in the over the top gory rear end visuals, which are basically just like HR Giger with Beksinski style organic growths over the top of an abandoned giger civilization, i mean the whole story and every single thing about it. i don't think there's even a shred of positivity in the entire game. At most, there's nothing that will make you even half smile, like.. maybe the way a cadaver flops into a hole in a strange way then lands with a weird squelch, but that's it. good game though!

loving YESS bro. Is Medium coming to PS5? I heard it kinda stank but I was not aware it had ballstinki vibes. I feel like there was another recent game that was very much like this, at least for one level? Returnal had a bit of it?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

it's loving atrocious, don't play it

i already played scorn and returnal so im good for now,

guys i did it i bought all the annapurna games available on playstation, maybe even period:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

imhotep posted:

i already played scorn and returnal so im good for now,

guys i did it i bought all the annapurna games available on playstation, maybe even period:

I see a couple of GOTYs in that list.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

imhotep posted:

literally why

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

imhotep posted:

There's more than three Souls games

Technically

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

loving YESS bro. Is Medium coming to PS5? I heard it kinda stank

it's on PS5 and you heard right

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

if you're not being sarcastic, then uh, a memoir blue i bought because joel corelitz did the soundtrack and i met him through school (he also did gorogoa, solar ash, some death stranding tracks and all the sound design, eastward, the tomorrow children...), gorogoa is literally the best puzzle game of all time imo, hohokum is fun, not bad, but i havent finished it, i am dead was ps plus, journey is journey, last stop just seemed interesting and i got it on PC before it was a ps plus game, maquette was free, outer wilds i regret buyging, solar ash was loving great and very underrated, highly highly recommended, stray was free and great, telling lies is very underrated and more people should check it out since it's a ps plus extra game, the pathless, like solar ash, is similarly dope af, wattam is cute but unfortunate... edith finch is edith finch, same with unfinished swan, a classic indie game afaic. artful escape isn't my cup of tea, but it's clearly a game that had a ton of love and attention to detail put into it. kentucky route zero is a classic obviously. donut county might be the worst on the list (but his follow up neon white is soo much better, it's strange that it's the same director), ashen is one of the more underrated souls likes and it's open world and seamless co op, gone home is a great walking simulator and as great as edith finch imo, just more srs, i think. sayonara wild hearts is fun, queen latifah narrates it. 12 minutes... is a game with willem dafoe.
untitled goose game is cool, worth it if it's on sale for cheap and has a cool generative score made from a Debussy piece, it owns.

Sakurazuka posted:

There's more than three Souls games

Technically

i have the ds2 design works and some of the concept art looks sooo much like beksinski it makes me sad that the hardware or engine couldn't accurately recrate the concept art faithfully. the weird viney, and organic growth in the first two pics especially are all over the place in the book.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 20, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

roomtone posted:

i only really played ffvii remake, which is awful

also wrong. it owned.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Blind Rasputin posted:

loving YESS bro. Is Medium coming to PS5? I heard it kinda stank but I was not aware it had ballstinki vibes. I feel like there was another recent game that was very much like this, at least for one level? Returnal had a bit of it?

yes, the third boss especially imo. here's some concept art form returnal that explicitly states that they were inspired by beksinski:
Returnal

Returnal

Beksinski

Beksinski

Returnal

imhotep fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 20, 2022

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Gorogoa rules

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Returnal is such a fantastic game. Good grief. My favourite boss is the Sisyphus Tower one. I love the way it evolves.

I should really reinstall it and take another crack at the tower some day.

Too busy with Dark Souls II right now though! Old Dragonslayer got gotted and nearly me because I was not expecting there to be three red phantoms! (Also I cannot for the life of me remember where I should be going - with fits with the games themes I know but means I am running around into dead ends.)

Also I beat Percy first time. I did NOT run away and we had a glorious fight, especially when the little dudes all sat around decided to get up and try to help him. You cannot defeat the club. Though I am mixing it up a bit with my puzzle sword.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hearing that the bad games that were inspired by great games also have bad art that was inspired by great art, considering picking them up now

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

roomtone posted:

i only really played ffvii remake, which is awful and last of us 2, which is excellent, during covid. and all i really remember in terms of Big Gaming Convos besides the hilarious anti-trans nonsense against abby, who isn't trans, is the boys at GB being like 'man is this really what the world needs right now' about last of us 2's cool sad story. that was my gaming covid zone. ffvii disappointment and i should have known followed by last of us 1 is fine not my fave into whoah this game is good for part 2.

AWFUL is a strong word but I will admit its just not what I wanted from an ff7 remake which I guess was basically ff7 with nice graphics

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

Returnal is such a fantastic game. Good grief. My favourite boss is the Sisyphus Tower one. I love the way it evolves.

VideoGames posted:

Good grief. I should really.. crack at it and .. beat ... it up a bit with my puzzle sword

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Too busy with Dark Souls II right now though!

Absolutely love to see it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

think DS2 might be my fave game ever... all those little freaks in majula... ladder man... the piggies... ruth negga.... the zombie dwarf... sad knight.... truly a classic chill zone

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Absolutely love to see it

Dark Souls II is my favourite Souls. Not my favourite FromSoft game, but my favourite Souls. I just gel with it immediately and after picking it back up it was as though nothing was missing.
It does all I want it to do and feels like a beta version of Elden Ring, which IS my favourite Fromsoft game.

I do love Fromsoft games :3:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
these are the specific images from the design works for ds2 that reminded me of beksinski, i'm obsessed with them

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I feel like Bloober's bad writing isn't as relevant here?, They aren't writing SH2, it is already written and designed. They are not going to be rewriting the endings or whatever, unless the original team is being a lot more hands-off than described. The cutscenes in the trailer looked 1:1, not redesigns like RE2. People are reacting here like they are writing original SH5 when I get the sense more of the Spyro remakes, do it exactly the same but new graphics. It won't solve the fact that SH games are not fun to actually play, trying broken doorknobs and running down halls of doors, but...

In 2001 I was disappointed with SH2, seemed way less scary than SH1. The evil world was more subtle and it felt more gloomy and depressing than scary. Loved the prison, not the apartment/hospital/hotel as much. Might give the remake another go if it reviews well though, especially now that I am no longer a deeply depressed/angry teenager and might view aspects differently.

Silent Hill f, I'm intrigued.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Blind Rasputin posted:

ballstinki vibes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Electromax posted:

I feel like Bloober's bad writing isn't as relevant here?,

Observer and The Medium both ran like absolute poo poo

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Silent fail one line views:

F: cool visuals, vaguely aware of the writer, probably has the best story out of all, at least 2 sadakos

Townfall: definitely going for analogue / retro horror, will have some good visuals, hope ending is better than observation and especially untold stories

2 remake: the only things they can screw up is the extra writing if they do it but a modernized 2 should do ok, as suggested in the horror game thread James should chokeslam his dead wife

Ascension: I still don't understand this, is it one of those games that can only be played once live with everyone else and then it becomes lost media after 10 years?

Film: 🤷‍♂️ why

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
RE Death Stranding chat - the game absolutely ruled though it did drag a bit in the middle. The biggest gripe with the game is that not even that far into it the rainfall and sludge monsters cease to be any problem, and there's no stress because they either barely appear or you have 6000 piss grenades to lob at them. Gravity is the biggest enemy, but at least it's always funny to fall down the entire length of a mountain.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Observer and The Medium both ran like absolute poo poo

I didn't have that issue when I played Observer on PS5 but I was also talking about the writing discussion specifically. If the game runs poorly that's obviously its own issue.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Electromax posted:

:hai:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Tonights resident evil showcase is 60 mins long :eyepop:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Electromax posted:

I didn't have that issue when I played Observer on PS5 but I was also talking about the writing discussion specifically. If the game runs poorly that's obviously its own issue.

They had to remaster it, on PS4 it ran at like 10fps

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Electromax posted:

I feel like Bloober's bad writing isn't as relevant here?, They aren't writing SH2, it is already written and designed. They are not going to be rewriting the endings or whatever, unless the original team is being a lot more hands-off than described. The cutscenes in the trailer looked 1:1, not redesigns like RE2. People are reacting here like they are writing original SH5 when I get the sense more of the Spyro remakes, do it exactly the same but new graphics. It won't solve the fact that SH games are not fun to actually play, trying broken doorknobs and running down halls of doors, but...

In 2001 I was disappointed with SH2, seemed way less scary than SH1. The evil world was more subtle and it felt more gloomy and depressing than scary. Loved the prison, not the apartment/hospital/hotel as much. Might give the remake another go if it reviews well though, especially now that I am no longer a deeply depressed/angry teenager and might view aspects differently.

Yeah i agree completely tbh. Like veni pretty much said, their last two games are trash. And they got memed to death so its making people think james is gonna say poo poo like "mary made me into a pedo, laura, thats why red ph is after me" directly into the camera. Its pretty much just a graphix remake and ito is over seeing that

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 20, 2022

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

They had to remaster it, on PS4 it ran at like 10fps

More people should be playing n64 games on saturday mornings

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Kojima is collecting directors

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1583031222565208064?t=u0fe-WQbTM7OpHBOPKLoPg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I beat the Demon's Souls remake today, still a decent time. Also killed Ixion and then died to Nemesis but at least getting the grappling hook let me give the tower a try, that's good fun.