Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've been enjoying Little Demon on FX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the room is fun to watch and this scene was not fun to watch

I remember this scene in the theater (its the opening scene?) and the insane amount of dread that came over me

dread which the movie validated

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Blood Boils posted:

Mist is a solid little movie but the monster design is bad imo

In the mouth of madness is the superior Lovecraftian small town everybody dies movie

Itmom absolutely falls apart after a strong start, mist is way better

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

mastershakeman posted:

Even Robert Patrick does a great job when he shows up

A great job is an understatement, IMO. He’s fantastic and I almost wish he had shown up sooner because he would have nailed so many of the more emotional moments they tried to get Duchovny to do. I can’t remember the episode title but there’s one where he’s not sure what’s real and what isn’t and he seems genuinely terrified. I think it might be Via Negativa? He was great working with Scully but I don’t think anyone could’ve come out of the Reyes partnership looking good.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Possession (1981) with Sam Neil is my favorite horror movie and inspires me every day that I live

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Antonymous posted:

Possession (1981) with Sam Neil is my favorite horror movie and inspires me every day I live

*bonk*

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

you could see my horniness through that post? you have a gift

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

holefoods posted:

A great job is an understatement, IMO. He’s fantastic and I almost wish he had shown up sooner because he would have nailed so many of the more emotional moments they tried to get Duchovny to do. I can’t remember the episode title but there’s one where he’s not sure what’s real and what isn’t and he seems genuinely terrified. I think it might be Via Negativa? He was great working with Scully but I don’t think anyone could’ve come out of the Reyes partnership looking good.

I liked the one where a brain worm has taken over a town and his immediate response when confronted with the supernatural was to throw it on the ground and blast it to pieces

Him being the realist skeptic compared to Scully was a fun twist and by then Mulder was an emo whiner and I was glad to see him go

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Durf posted:

I liked the one where a brain worm has taken over a town and his immediate response when confronted with the supernatural was to throw it on the ground and blast it to pieces

Him being the realist skeptic compared to Scully was a fun twist and by then Mulder was an emo whiner and I was glad to see him go

Duchovny was very checked out but Patrick just looked to stern to ever bring the same swagger and levity to the show that Duchovny could on his good days

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Duchovny was very checked out but Patrick just looked to stern to ever bring the same swagger and levity to the show that Duchovny could on his good days

and that's why they didn't make him try to fill that role and instead put him on the other extreme of Scully

early Duchovny was great but by the time the production moved to California he was mired in family bullshit real and fictional and wasn't fun anymore

we get it Mulder you miss your sister and hate your fake dad

also if you want to see a fun version of checking out see Richard Dean Anderson in SG-1. he's loving wacky by the end

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Durf posted:

and that's why they didn't make him try to fill that role and instead put him on the other extreme of Scully

early Duchovny was great but by the time the production moved to California he was mired in family bullshit real and fictional and wasn't fun anymore

we get it Mulder you miss your sister and hate your fake dad

Yeah, you know if nothing else I admire such a popular show for trying to shake up the formula a little bit rather than just throwing Ryan Reynolds or whoever would have been the Duchovny analogue at that time into his spot

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
the tentacle monster in the mist is kind of cheesy but the sense of dread is top notch regardless. the bad cgi is a lot less distracting in the black & white version

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I don't remember the dialogue being quite so bad in his other movies. Christ.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Les Os posted:

the tentacle monster in the mist is kind of cheesy but the sense of dread is top notch regardless. the bad cgi is a lot less distracting in the black & white version

this is why all movies should be in black and white unless they can justify color

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

DoombatINC posted:

look i dont normally go in for uncritical over-the-top recommendations but drop everything youre loving doing and watch The Unborn II (1994) right now

https://i.imgur.com/VoVZvZy.mp4

This is from a few pages ago, but is this thing streaming anywhere? There is a copy I found on YouTube but it has no sound for like 1/2 of the movie.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Durf posted:

That really was great because it showed that while she was still the skeptic she had been through enough with Mulder that she didn’t really doubt it anymore. I also liked Doggett because while he was very pragmatic and realistic he was simultaneously fairly open minded and never went the early Scully route of “this is all fake and none of it is real.”

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Baflc_0XVfY

Lol what the hell, didn't the first season end earlier this year?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Baflc_0XVfY

Lol what the hell, didn't the first season end earlier this year?

nah it aired in july 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

josh04 posted:

as with all things, people are nostalgic for the daytime crime drama reruns they watched as a kid and columbo is extremely good, versus something like quincy m.e. which is, uh, harder to revisit

I watched hours and hours of Hogan's Heroes afternoons when I was a kid, and I don't think I've seen a minute of it this century

I'm just gonna assume that my rose colored memories from before my brain was fully developed are completely accurate, and that it was an awesome and hilarious show, and never revisit it ever

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i remember liking white lotus a lil but also it wouldve been way better if it was a two hour movie

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

the mist had a better twist at the end too

i disagree the minute the car ran out of gas my first thought was uhhh guys when was the last time you actually saw a monster do you really want to commit to this plan when you could be like right at the edge of this thing for all you know

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

skooma512 posted:

I've been enjoying Little Demon on FX.

It's weirdly good. The mother/daughter fight episode was hard to watch because it felt very real.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Filthy Hans posted:

oh yeah, that was a real dagger

IIRC Stephen King was basically 'drat, I wish I'd thought of that' about it

Ghost Leviathan has issued a correction as of 07:21 on Oct 20, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

the mist had a better twist at the end too

It's directly set up in the book also, not just some poo poo they came up with

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC Stephen King was basically 'drat, I wish I'd thought of that about it

No it's in the story the main character plans to do exactly that, he just doesn't find it necessary. In the movie he does

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

mastershakeman posted:

Itmom absolutely falls apart after a strong start, mist is way better

I was gonna say you're dumb and wrong, buuuut you were very recently correct about x files so I'll just laugh-cry while eating popcorn

Antonymous posted:

Possession (1981) with Sam Neil is my favorite horror movie and inspires me every day that I live

that one i really need to see

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1582736064497999873

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

i remember liking white lotus a lil but also it wouldve been way better if it was a two hour movie

I enjoyed it the whole way though, but I was expecting a bigger payoff.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Tubi has a ton of old kung fu movies btw. They aren't the famous ones, but they're all still great.

there's a bunch of great kung fu stuff on dailymotion too. I watched Magnificent Warriors on there a few months ago (I think it was a dubbed version tho, but sometimes you take what you can get)

e: I love Tubi

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Columbo is on Tubi apparently

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
tubi is what streaming should have been all along - tons of piles of old content that are real movies made with real people, instead of nonstop cranked out content to make new IPs no one wants

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Some Guy TT posted:

i disagree the minute the car ran out of gas my first thought was uhhh guys when was the last time you actually saw a monster do you really want to commit to this plan when you could be like right at the edge of this thing for all you know

Ditto.

It felt like a comedy beat, honestly.

They wait about 5 seconds before doing a mass suicide and then about 5 seconds after that the army shows up. I honestly laughed my head off but I assume the film wants you to take it seriously? I still don't know.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Having Jack Cassidy as the villain in that is pretty awesome. The person who put this together must have been a genuine fan of the series.

I would think Columbo is VERY C-Spam.

loquacius posted:

Columbo is on Tubi apparently

I believe it's free with ads on Amazon and it's also available on Peacock.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

mastershakeman posted:

tubi is what streaming should have been all along - tons of piles of old content that are real movies made with real people, instead of nonstop cranked out content to make new IPs no one wants

I guess Pluto tv is similar but I just watch price is right reruns to wind down before bed

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

New Andor was good, once again better than Star Wars should be. I wasn’t sure if the bit with being arrested and sentenced was supposed to be as funny as I found it or provoke outrage at the injustice.

My wife once reminded me of the important work Weights and measures inspection services does under Industry Canada when I pulled up at the gas pump, so Cyril working there hits a little too close to home. I know these people, intimately lol.

The Standards Building is a little less daunting

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DoombatINC posted:

look i dont normally go in for uncritical over-the-top recommendations but drop everything youre loving doing and watch The Unborn II (1994) right now

https://i.imgur.com/VoVZvZy.mp4

drat nice elbow action and clinch. Don't forget to throw knees too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

star wars is the best thing on tv lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/tobyfrombath/status/1582721272903237633

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

I need to watch more martial arts films. You guys know good stuff. Any reccs?

This should keep you busy for a bit

https://www.youtube.com/c/WuTangCollectionDope/videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i have a question about this article

https://www.mintpressnews.com/marvel-execuives-revealed-closely-connected-israel-intelligence/282008/

does anyone have a citation for this particular bit

quote:

The military’s support, however, came with a price. The Pentagon approved the scripts for “Hulk” and “Iron Man”, cutting out unfavorable references to the military, such as their experimentation on humans and dropping herbicides on South East Asia during the Vietnam War.

because id be very interested to know who claimed at what point for what reason that earlier drafts of the scripts for these movies included references to real life crimes against humanity committed by the american military