Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tales of Woe posted:

Shinobi no Ittoki - interesting texture to this one, it's an original but feels like some B-list shonen from 15 years ago. it didn't really accomplish much in the first episode but there's just enough breadcrumbs for things i like that i'm willing to give it a chance

After last week's "Harry, yer a wizard ninja" moment they leaned even harder into the "Harry Potter, but with ninjas" theme this week when they caught the special ninja train from the hidden platform to the special ninja highscool out in the countryside, run by a kindly greyhaired bearded principal who has taken a special interest in the protagonist. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
People say you can just skip the first boring episode of sword isekai but I tried that and it was still boring because apparently the boring part I skipped was the part where he got all the power fantasy ultra spells that can own anyone instantly.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm not quite as bothered by it, but I don't think it's causing any dissonance in my brain like you seem to be describing. Maybe use less brain.

Really, the only funky thing for me is the names. The subs have their name in Chinese, but the audio is the Japanese equivalent.

This always bothered me in Tower of God, where the Japanese dub always calls Baam Yoru, despite the subtitles calling him Baam, not Night.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

What's with Japan having such radically different pronunciation for Chinese names, anyway? Other foreign names in anime don't seem to diverge nearly as much.

I guess a lot of Chinese cultural influence was before radio was a thing. If you have Romance of the Three Kingdoms flying around as a written text since the 1500s without any Chinese people at hand to ask how they would read a name you're probably going to go with what feels most reasonable to you.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Chinese is weird as hell as a language because chinese is a case where the written language actually pre-dated the spoken language by a lot. Standardised Mandarin, which was based on the language spoken by officials, only was constructed in the 20th century, which is kinda nuts. Japanese word borrowing from Chinese meanwhile dates to over a thousand years ago.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 19, 2022

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

genericnick posted:

I guess a lot of Chinese cultural influence was before radio was a thing. If you have Romance of the Three Kingdoms flying around as a written text since the 1500s without any Chinese people at hand to ask how they would read a name you're probably going to go with what feels most reasonable to you.

Chinese also has hundreds of dialects that are mutually unintelligible but they all share the same one writing system, so you have many differences on how a character can potentially be read.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Even calling them "dialects" seems like a misnomer, or I guess more of a nationalism thing. The whole point of the ideographic writing system was that you could theoretically use it to write in any language, which is why it also spread to Korea and Japan. Meaning is completely divorced from phonetics, although it does make some assumptions about grammar.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in the future, we will all write everything in cursed chinenglish, like firefly

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Clarste posted:

Even calling them "dialects" seems like a misnomer, or I guess more of a nationalism thing. The whole point of the ideographic writing system was that you could theoretically use it to write in any language, which is why it also spread to Korea and Japan. Meaning is completely divorced from phonetics, although it does make some assumptions about grammar.

The most annoying thing when you have both Japanese and Mandarin garbled up in your head and you can only remember one pronunciation when trying to translate the other. The weirdest sensation is when I know the meaning of the word but I have no idea how to read it in either language.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
DIY: Serufu, the MC is such a mood. She's so chill, constantly have her head in the clouds, and very accident prone. She really shouldn't be touching any power tools. She's definitely a protagonist worth following for.

Eminence in Shadow: I like Claire, the MC's older sister. Hope we get to see more of her

Taming the Final Boss: The Villainess, tames the final boss, gives him happy ending, and defeat the "heroine" all in 4 episodes. Heh. Not bad.

Also, anime, don't use THAT trope, please! It's a cheap way to show how despicable the villain is and everyone hated it.

Beast Tamer and Farming Isekai: It's just your average fantasy RPG anime. It's not bad. But it isn't good either and doesn't bring something unique to the table.

Also, I don't think Farming Isekai is actually about farming. The MC is constantly pitted against country destroying threat that only he can defeat.

The Little Lies we All Tell: This has the most unique premise for CGDCT in my opinion. There's 4 friends in all girls school who have a secret they can't tell. One is an alien, one is a ninja, one is actually a dude, and one can read mind (it only works on same gender, so the dude's secret is safe). There's potential for wacky shenanigans.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Clarste posted:

I believe this is a half-truth. I don’t think there’s ever been a completely ideographic writing system with widespread use.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
For what it's worth I don't think it succeeds in that goal, I'm just saying that's how the people spreading it thought of it back then. As in "if you cannot adopt this then your language is dumb."

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Your Everyday NEET posted:

one is actually a dude, and one can read mind (it only works on same gender, so the dude's secret is safe).
yup, totally safe, as long as the girl who can read girls minds can't read his mind, she won't find out he's a guy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah hold on wouldnt the girl realize when she cant read his mind

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

The esper barely understands her own powers and I guess isn't around men to figure that out?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
As a comedy, high odds are she just has premise-enabling levels of stupidity.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Endorph posted:

The show expressly states via a pop-up text box that she has very little understanding of how her power works.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Nihilarian posted:

yup, totally safe, as long as the girl who can read girls minds can't read his mind, she won't find out he's a guy

Endorph posted:

I like to headcanon it away as some Death Note mindgames misunderstanding. "Here I have this power that allows me to read any girl's mind! I am invincible! ...Wait, but I can't read this girl's mind!? Is it possible that she's actually a dude? No way, I would've noticed when we went to the bathroom together. No, it must be that she's figured out my ability, and now has a way to prevent me from using it! But I can't let her know that it works, so I have to be able to pretend to read her mind... for now."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally i think this premise is gender essentialist. i sentence the author to being quote tweeted. farewell.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like it's going to be a highly regarded series

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Sounds like it's going to be a highly regarded series

it's extremely dumb and silly and not to be taken seriously but idk how well the concept can hold up over more than a few episodes.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mob, Uzaki and Iruma are the three shows Im going to stick with and then slot in a bunch of others as time permits because holy poo poo its finally sinking in how stacked this season is now that Im watching more than one show a season again.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i think the joke is just that shes only ever around girls since its all girls school so she just never thought about it

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I legitimately cannot think of a season in recent memory I have watched as many shows as this one. I'm at 7 and thinking of checking maybe a few more out.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
PTE, Mob, Sword, DIY, Witch from Mercury, and Alchemist for me, and I'm also still catching up on LycoReco.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess this is technically last season but it's releasing currently so gently caress you. Anyway higehiro got a dub, and it loving sucks lol. It's so bad. The acting is not great, although the actress playing Sayu is pretty good her direction sucks along with everyone else's. The writing is significantly shittier than the subs, as well. In the first episode they put a this ain't in chief joke in there and it gave me aids so I turned it off. Kind of impressive considering I actually thought it was a good show when I watched it subbed. I remember this was before I was getting into manga and stuff and I was actively annoyed it didn't have a dub. Hooo boy they did me a favor by taking so long to poo poo one out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think giving sayu a bit of a modern spin to her dialog works since she does have that speech pattern in her original dialog but the issue is that a lot of dub writers/translators think they're still on the pulse of modern lingo and slang because they aren't 'that old,' but they're nearly 30/early 30s and theyre completely out of touch. speech patterns among teens can completely change in just a few years, you have to work pretty hard to not make it awful

the bisque doll dub managed that surprisingly well tho. i think there's a balance to strike of keeping the flow and rhythm of how teens talk without referencing too many specific catchphrases or slang terms that are likely to fall out of favor within a few years.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's basically my problem lol. Maybe I can't talk poo poo since I'm pushing 30 myself, but this ain't it chief is something only people older than me on Twitter have ever said, ever. Meanwhile, Marin y'know, actually talks like a teenager. I usually roll my eyes when people cry about wokified dubs or whatever but that one line caught me off guard with how bad it was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the wokified dubs guys are very dumb but the idea that c-list shows often have very low-effort, weirdly written dubs isnt really wrong. and the twitter arguments kinda make it harder to criticize because a lot of people have their heels dug in hard.

there was this random crossdresser manga where the author literally referred to it as bl and love between two men and the tl played it more as a trans girl/gender questioning thing, which i can see how that mixup can happen with manga TL conditions as they are and lack of contact with the author, and how some crossdressing manga are written, but when this was pointed out some random translators (who didnt even work on it) came out fists swinging about it lol. like bro its very obviously wrong in a way that completely changes the content.

idk. lifes easier if you ignore twitter arguments but it does bleed into reality occasionally.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah Twitter people are dumb as gently caress, I avoid them. unfortunately i get exposed to their strange alien English sometimes so i notice when it gets used

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

mdct posted:

I legitimately cannot think of a season in recent memory I have watched as many shows as this one. I'm at 7 and thinking of checking maybe a few more out.

I keep checking out shows and secretly hoping I won't like them, and then they're also good. I have 11 shows on the go now this season, plus one more I haven't tried yet and another that I will watch but I've relegated to the backlog.
This season is incredible.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

the wokified dubs guys are very dumb but the idea that c-list shows often have very low-effort, weirdly written dubs isnt really wrong. and the twitter arguments kinda make it harder to criticize because a lot of people have their heels dug in hard.

there was this random crossdresser manga where the author literally referred to it as bl and love between two men and the tl played it more as a trans girl/gender questioning thing, which i can see how that mixup can happen with manga TL conditions as they are and lack of contact with the author, and how some crossdressing manga are written, but when this was pointed out some random translators (who didnt even work on it) came out fists swinging about it lol. like bro its very obviously wrong in a way that completely changes the content.

idk. lifes easier if you ignore twitter arguments but it does bleed into reality occasionally.

Very glad that seven seas decided to actually listen to the criticism and edit the localization. Even if it was treated as an evil victory by gamergaters lol

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Endorph posted:

I think its really dumb that people have decided that whether or not you like a translation or not is some deeply political issue, and having the opposite opinion about a translation is some deep moral failing. For any side of any argument there is usually at least one really lovely person who agrees with that side. People love to find that person and use them as an example of how you must be a horrible person if you happen to agree with them on this trivial and non-important topic.

Also, the idea that just being a native speaker of the language its being translated into isn't enough to point out awkward and unnatural dialogue. You need to be an expert on Japanese to criticize a translation. Like sure on very rare occasion it might be intentional in the original work, but a lot of the time its just a mediocre/bad translation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Very glad that seven seas decided to actually listen to the criticism and edit the localization. Even if it was treated as an evil victory by gamergaters lol
lol, yea
curious to see when the edited tl will come out tho, the 2nd volume is set for january next year

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think its really dumb that people have decided that whether or not you like a translation or not is some deeply political issue, and having the opposite opinion about a translation is some deep moral failing. For any side of any argument there is usually at least one really lovely person who agrees with that side. People love to find that person and use them as an example of how you must be a horrible person if you happen to agree with them on this trivial and non-important topic.

Also, the idea that just being a native speaker of the language its being translated into isn't enough to point out awkward and unnatural dialogue. You need to be an expert on Japanese to criticize a translation. Like sure on very rare occasion it might be intentional in the original work, but a lot of the time its just a mediocre/bad translation.
still remember that person who insisted 'big brudder' was the only possible translation for 'nii-nii' and wasnt distracting and weird at all

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Gamergaters must be in a rough spot these days if they're counting a thing getting gayer as a victory.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Gamergaters must be in a rough spot these days if they're counting a thing getting gayer as a victory.
theres this dumb trend where they argue that trans people are trying to get rid of homosexuality as an excuse to attack trans people, mostly because they hate trans people more than gay people. which is usually very dumb but in this case that was kind of the thing that was literally happening so, congrats to gamergate on their moral victory

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Reminds me of people passing around a dumb image freaking out about a single line in 13 Sentinels being different in a way that lightly implied a character was nb and writing off the whole translation based on it.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
that manga was a weird case (well not uncommon for that subgenre) where a trans reading is really pretty reasonable but it's not the explicit text or anything so it was definitely a translation fuckup, but also of course all the freaks whining about 'femboy erasure' or whatever are even stupider

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lih posted:

that manga was a weird case (well not uncommon for that subgenre) where a trans reading is really pretty reasonable but it's not the explicit text or anything so it was definitely a translation fuckup, but also of course all the freaks whining about 'femboy erasure' or whatever are even stupider
eh, some of the dialog got changed pretty hard to account for the trans spin on it, like scenes where the crossdresser talks about himself as a guy. heck, even if you read it as a trans thing, that should be kept in, shouldnt it?

'femboy erasure' is definitely a hilarious thing to say but i do also think there are people who are so concerned about like, being potentially offensive or what the 'best' read would be that they lose sight of what the material actually is or what its doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i'm saying it was a translation gently caress-up to make what's just a possible reading the explicit text in a way that was not there originally, yes lol