Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

transformers also has political assassinations and unethical weapons development tbh, especially in the comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

The movies are good enough that they should always be a starting point for someone who isn't sure if they like Gundam yet, because they're a small time investment comparatively. If you end up bouncing off, you only wasted a couple hours.

If you watch the movies and like them and want to invest more time, the TV series is worth seeing, because it's a better overall than the movies.

I'll third this, but with the proviso that I don't think the movies are entirely great on their own. I'm pretty sure I found the first two kind of boring even, because of the way they're cut and because they don't really have great conclusions due to their ending points. It's all more of a steady build in a TV show, but as movies it creates the expectation that the finale has some crescendo, and they kind of don't. They're still good as a sampler, but the third one is the only one I remember genuinely enjoying on it's own merit, so if the first two leave someone a bit cold I'd say it's still worth considering what you enjoyed about them and perhaps checking out the first episode or three of the show if there's anything there you found intriguing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Endorph posted:

transformers also has political assassinations and unethical weapons development tbh, especially in the comics

Armada/Micron Legend is "what if the unethical weapons were also little people"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Watching Hunt for the Red October and I just found out where Murrue Ramius came from.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

IBO MS being immune to beam weaponry was good storytelling and worldbuilding.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

IBO MS being immune to beam weaponry was good storytelling and worldbuilding.

I wonder how early it was planned. I remember Barbatos appearing in an early game where Nano Laminate was portrayed as 'strong against solid but weak to beam' which is funny as hell in retrospect

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder how early it was planned. I remember Barbatos appearing in an early game where Nano Laminate was portrayed as 'strong against solid but weak to beam' which is funny as hell in retrospect

At a guess, it was probably something that occurred after Sunrise ordered a second season, when the writers were trying to set out what the plan for the season was and they decided they wanted to have the ghosts of the old war dug up. The show was originally only going to be one season, and presumably didn't originally feature mobile armors at all, so the exact mechanics of them, how they were fought etc, probably weren't hammered down. Once someone decided they wanted them to feature then it becomes more important to sort out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ImpAtom posted:

Inversely it's really funny to play SD Gundam Crossrays :shepface: every later game stage in most of the story paths becomes a hellscape of "lmao every unit is highly resistant to beam weaponry and all your good units have beam weapons"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nuebot posted:

Inversely it's really funny to play SD Gundam Crossrays :shepface: every later game stage in most of the story paths becomes a hellscape of "lmao every unit is highly resistant to beam weaponry and all your good units have beam weapons"

It's Heavyarms time to shine! Alternately, Leopard Gundam. No-one even remembers Leopard though :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

tsob posted:

It's Heavyarms time to shine! Alternately, Leopard Gundam. No-one even remembers Leopard though :(

I used Astaroth Origin a lot, actually. It has a big shotgun.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I played IBO for my first storyline there. taking all the units unlocked therein to say, SEED was pretty damned funny on defense...not so much on offense where Phase Shift Armor reverses the dynamic.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

tsob posted:

Sadly the Airmaster and the Leopard aren't in Cross Rays :rip: Oh well there's always the next SD game

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Isn’t Leopard’s big upgrade that it ditches a bunch of the live ammo weapons for beam weapons?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ethiser posted:

Isn’t Leopard’s big upgrade that it ditches a bunch of the live ammo weapons for beam weapons?

Literally after a fight where they only win because Leopard had non-beam weapons, yes. It's very stupid.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Its okay it's still got the knife

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they put the loving bertigo in gundam versus before the airmaster or leopard

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Good choice

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gundam Thunderbolt finally gives us a canonical American pilot

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is there something keeping those food boxes from immediately flying onto the floor

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

is there something keeping those food boxes from immediately flying onto the floor

it's in space

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ok so after the slightest jostle from launch they're just free floating in the cockpit, or is there something actually keeping them in place? do the food boxes have like magnets on the bottom or something

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i do like the idea of needing a mid battle snack so you just grab a french fry that's floating in front of your vision

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Imagine free floating quarter pounder with cheese and some nuggies. Could life get any better

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

In space they call it the 113.4g with cheese

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The scene with Homer and the chips except it's a Big Mac

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blaze Dragon posted:

Literally after a fight where they only win because Leopard had non-beam weapons, yes. It's very stupid.

It's a common misconception that the Leopard only beat the Gable because it had a shell firing gatling, and that was the turning point. The normal Leopard Gundam actually uses a beam gatling as it's main weapon, not a kinetic one and the reason it beats the Gable is not because it has regular bullets, but because it has missiles and grenades. It unloads all of them on the Gable in one go, destroying the beam deflection generators on the unit's shoulders and making it vulnerable to beams. After which Roybea tells Garrod and Jamil to finish the unit, and they destroy it by hitting it with their beam guns.

Roybea even fires the gatling immediately after deploying, only to have his shots bounce harmlessly off the Gable with the beam deflector activating before Jamil tells him that beams won't work. He does shoot his gatling at the Gable point blank, but only after he's shot a load of missiles at it, setting off explosions on the Gable, with the stress of hitting a target point blank eventually destroying the gatling. The unit's hands had been destroyed shortly before that when Roybea tears himself away from the Gable's hold.

The Leopard Destroy still has the two large knee mounted missiles and 11 shoulder mounted missiles of the normal Leopard, so it has about as much kinetic firepower as it ever had really. It does lose the grenade launchers on the wrist, but they were only a minor weapon with a few total rounds anyway. It also possibly has kinetic rounds in the chest gatlings, but I don't think it's ever clearly stated in animation or supplementary material whether those are beam or shell weapons on either version of the Leopard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i believe super robot wars treats the chest gatlings as physical rounds

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

ok so after the slightest jostle from launch they're just free floating in the cockpit, or is there something actually keeping them in place? do the food boxes have like magnets on the bottom or something

They look like the same food cartons we see on ships in the shows, on a cart being pushed around by Frau for example, so I'd assume there's some light magnets in the base yeah

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't know there was magnets at the bottom of the cartons in msg

Does everyone have magnets on their shoes too is that why people can stand and walk

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Gripweed posted:

Gundam Thunderbolt finally gives us a canonical American pilot

Unicorn beat them to it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

Does everyone have magnets on their shoes too is that why people can stand and walk

It's never said there's magnets, I just assumed because if not what's the point of stackable cartons in space?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's probably Velcro not magnets, that's what I believe they use in real life space. And Magnets are strong if you're pulling against it's base, but you can slide them off the magnet just like you would to one on your fridge, if a suit was smashed by a Zaku all the stuff could go flying.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

Unicorn beat them to it.

I just noticed the Calorie Mate

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Gaius Marius posted:

I just noticed the Calorie Mate

I'm the massive bottle that says 'Poppers'

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

The novels say that Zeon soldiers have velcro on the soles of their boots to mesh with velcro on the floor of Musais, so a lot of other ships on one or both sides presumably use velcro too, but there's mention of magnets making a "pleasant clicking sound" when a character walks on the bridge of the Pegasus II as well. So magnets are presumably a more modern way of doing it. Or possibly it's how the Federation allows soldiers to stay solidly connected to the "floor" in space, while Zeon use velcro.

It's worth mentioning for context that the main ship for the novels is a White Base class ship called the Pegasus, rather than a Pegasus class ship called the White Base. God knows why Tomino decided to make that change, but he did. The first Pegasus is irreparably damaged during the battle on Texas Colony at the end of the first novel, and is replaced with a Pegasus II during the second novel.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jackhunter64 posted:

Unicorn beat them to it.

Naturally the American pilot has a bunch of food on his cockpit, is stationed in Wyoming and drives the chonkiest of the chonk, a Gustav Karl.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

is stationed in Wyoming

I think it's Colorado

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vord posted:

I think it's Colorado

Cheyenne Base is in Wyoming

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Cheyenne Base is in Wyoming

But aren't they at norad in Cheyenne mountain? I thought that was in Colorado. They even showed the entrance to it which I recognized from far to many episodes of stargate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vord posted:

But aren't they at norad in Cheyenne mountain? I thought that was in Colorado. They even showed the entrance to it which I recognized from far to many episodes of stargate.

It's meant to be the same base that Amuro worked at in Zeta Gundam. I could be remembering wrong but I think they mention it being in Wyoming in one episode.