Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Boris would be the funniest choice but unfortunately for him I think Liz imploded faster than expected and not enough time has passed for him to return as he wants to. If she had managed to New Year I would put money on it, but right now I just don't see it happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Yo hobo you don't know how ges or PM's work

We had this whole thing play out in the summer right before Boris resigned, because Boris repeatedly threatened an election, and the Big Book Of How To Not Get Decapitated in the palace says the monarch *will* say no to a general election if the PM's party is unwilling to back them up. The palace went as far as briefing the papers that if the PM came round then 'Ermaj Godsrester Liz2! wouldve said "nah".

Unless you're operating under the assumption that Charles is massively anti-tory then it's pretty obvious any attempt Liz truss made would've been met with "no, I think you should do it and not drag me into your stupid bullshit". any mp can call for a general election whenever they want, if commons will agree with them. This is a Liz truss problem that will be fixed by Liz truss loving off. Again, we already did this, four months ago.

This is not to say that it should be this way. Just because a presidentified understanding of the UK makes the entire Westminster system permanently unworkable doesn't mean that both things haven't already happened. It's just that if we start admitting that we need to build a system with an elected head of state, to match how most voters think the system we have works, then that requires getting rid of the monarchy. Somehow I don't think the palace will be the ones to start that ball rolling. They are pretty much the only people with a vested interest in how the system is supposed to work!

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Nominations by Monday, threshold 50+, online ballots for members being discussed per Sky News

How secure do we think the online voting will be? Be fun to :goon: to vote and bring in the funniest possible choice.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Pleasant Friend posted:

Is my uninformed impression that Liz Truss got turfed for enacting the hard-right policies that she had to endorse to win the conservative Tory leadership ballot true?

Like, did she *not* promise to be a ghoul who wanted tax cuts for the rich and spending cuts for the when she ran? Or was there a expectation she would ignore her promises or what?

Yeah essentially she did exactly what she said she would do, it crashed the economy, she then fired the Chancellor who did what she had told him to do, and then just spiraled for two weeks.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Kemi Badenoch by far. She's an actual lunatic

I ‘knew’ her when we both worked at Coutts in the noughties (I did/ran security, not banking) - she was hated by every single ‘below stairs’ type and was a bloody nightmare.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pleasant Friend posted:

Is my uninformed impression that Liz Truss got turfed for enacting the hard-right policies that she had to endorse to win the conservative Tory leadership ballot true?

Like, did she *not* promise to be a ghoul who wanted tax cuts for the rich and spending cuts for the when she ran? Or was there a expectation she would ignore her promises or what?

I think there was a reasonably widespread assumption that she wouldn't be stupid enough to actually do most of the things she was saying in the leadership race. On the basis that a lettuce could figure out that policies popular with the 80k Tory membership voters would go down like a bucket of cold sick with the wider electorate.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah essentially she did exactly what she said she would do, it crashed the economy, she then fired the Chancellor who did what she had told him to do, and then just spiraled for two weeks.

So are the Tories hoping to force a moderate or something now? Or is there nothing to stop the next pick from also having to promise to be as dumb as Truss to get the pick?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Camrath posted:

she was hated by every single ‘below stairs’ type and was a bloody nightmare.

Could surely infer this about any tory.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Boris is definitely not coming back.
He partied while granny died, and lied multiple times, upto the lie that got him pushed out.
There is no way to spin him back without massive blowback from everyone, even some tory voters.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nilbop posted:

Now I'm wondering does this affect the deadline established for Stormont and does this mean we avoid another potential election in Northern Ireland.

I don't know if this has been answered, but I don't think so. The deadline of the 28th of October for NI is established in legislation. If they don't have a government up and running by then, the plug is pulled and an election is mandated to occur.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Pleasant Friend posted:

So is the Tories hoping to force a moderate or something now? Or is there nothing to stop the next pick from also having to promise to be as dumb as Truss to get the pick?

It is much more likely that they go even further insane.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What slogans would get Nadine Dorries in?

"Nadine Next!"
"Dorries'll Do It!"

She is the hero this cuntry deserves.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Let's say all this (Boris resigning, Liz Truss PM, mini-budget proposed) had happened pre-COVD/Russian energy crisis. Do you think everything would have played out the same way? From the outside I imagine the mini-budget fell on its face only because of how bad things are going already.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Camrath posted:

I ‘knew’ her when we both worked at Coutts in the noughties (I did/ran security, not banking) - she was hated by every single ‘below stairs’ type and was a bloody nightmare.

A perfect choice!

Restart the clock gentlemen. We have a new contender.

The Liquor Snurf
Jul 22, 2021

I am the Liquor

Crackbone posted:

Let's say all this (Boris resigning, Liz Truss PM, mini-budget proposed) had happened pre-COVD/Russian energy crisis. Do you think everything would have played out the same way? From the outside I imagine the mini-budget fell on its face only because of how bad things are going already.

Essentially everything would have played out the same except for swap Covid/Ukraine, for Blair's Labour as the excuse

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Boris won't become PM. Far too soon.

He'll wait until 2024 to become PM and lead the tories to the election.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Skull Servant posted:

Boris would be the funniest choice but unfortunately for him I think Liz imploded faster than expected and not enough time has passed for him to return as he wants to. If she had managed to New Year I would put money on it, but right now I just don't see it happening.

Seems like we had some pretty extreme time dilation that made this last week feel like several months though. Only actually been six days since Kwasi Kwarteng was sacked.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

happyhippy posted:

Boris is definitely not coming back.
He partied while granny died, and lied multiple times, upto the lie that got him pushed out.
There is no way to spin him back without massive blowback from everyone, even some tory voters.

the graun posted:

When offered the choice of Johnson still being in No 10, or Truss taking over, some 63% of Tory members said they would prefer Johnson to be still in charge against 22% who wanted Truss. Even more starkly, 68% said they would prefer to still have Johnson than see him replaced by Sunak, who was preferred by just 19%.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/13/poll-of-tory-members-gives-liz-truss-22-point-lead-to-be-next-prime-minister

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Can Liz Truss run again in the election? Just for comedy.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
there is no other candidate running who has that kind of pull with the members, only off ramp is if they somehow engineer him off the ballot before that stage

just the fact that there is a member vote at all will be influencing MPs looking to back the winner

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 20, 2022

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Pleasant Friend posted:

So are the Tories hoping to force a moderate or something now? Or is there nothing to stop the next pick from also having to promise to be as dumb as Truss to get the pick?

They could only manage this if the top two candidates the MPs vote for are both moderates, which would be feasible if they were smart about it and not a bunch of self-serving ghouls and morons. They'll end up stabbing each other in the back and put foward a moderate and an extremist, or two extremists.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

looool if he's in it he's win it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol deep burn

https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1582745463799033856

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

I don't know if this has been answered, but I don't think so. The deadline of the 28th of October for NI is established in legislation. If they don't have a government up and running by then, the plug is pulled and an election is mandated to occur.

It can be kicked back by the NI Secretary though, right? Unsure if the assumed interim Secretary has the authority to push it back, but assuming that the new PM has their Cabinet set up by this day next week it might be possible to delay.

If the legislation you mean is something specific that was introduced this week then never mind, must have missed it.

Speaking of NI, I haven't seen any polling but I assume little is going to change? The DUP being more organized now might draw back some of the votes they lost to TUV, but I can't imagine them topping the poll again. I think the defectors to Alliance might be harder to win back. 2016/2017 again!

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Boris is the choice of the membership, no doubt. His issue is that he is so hated by MPs that it's very unlikely he's allowed through. Definitely hoping I'm wrong about that though, as Boris coming back dooms the Tories almost as hard as if Truss had stayed. Also it would be funny as gently caress.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Antigravitas posted:

Can Liz Truss run again in the election? Just for comedy.

I mean, sure, she could in the sense it isn't against the rules, but she'd be wasting her time as she won't get enough nominations from MPs. In 1995 John Major resigned as PM to force a leadership election because the Tories were in a shambles. He then ran as a candidate & resoundingly beat John Redwood, who was the head of the howling lunatics who became the ERG

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Noxville posted:

Seems like we had some pretty extreme time dilation that made this last week feel like several months though. Only actually been six days since Kwasi Kwarteng was sacked.

gently caress me. Nevermind, there is a non-zero chance of this happening now.

It feels like an eternity since the Conservative conference now.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Could surely infer this about any tory.

Sadly not. I’ve known Tory councillors, MPs and even peers who are absolutely lovely people socially. Like if you didn’t consider the politics they supported you’d think they were lovely, warm kind friendly people. And frankly most people don’t.

I think that’s one of the most dangerous things about them tbh.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Da Share Z0ne comes out swinging

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1583104941908164608?t=jRrBscPq17o_upZF8Jqe_g&s=19

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Chinese Gordon posted:

Boris is the choice of the membership, no doubt. His issue is that he is so hated by MPs that it's very unlikely he's allowed through. Definitely hoping I'm wrong about that though, as Boris coming back dooms the Tories almost as hard as if Truss had stayed. Also it would be funny as gently caress.

Boris wins then has to resign after the standards committee ruling that he lied to Parliament comes down.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Chinese Gordon posted:

Didn't he gently caress them over as much as he did everyone else? Is his particular brand of trolling that popular?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Crackbone posted:

That’s true in a trivial sense, the problem specifically with the mini-budget was that it was doing the opposite of the thing the Bank of England was recommending. The Bank wanted to get inflation under control and so was recommending reducing borrowing, the mini budget was a massive increase in borrowing.

So sure, if this happened in a time where the Bank of England wasn’t recommending the exact opposite thing then it wouldn’t have collapsed the government. But I’m not sure that’s a particularly useful observation.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Oh hey, Netflix released the trailer for season 5 of the Crown, the final season.

A pity the show won't cover the last two months and Charlie taking the crown.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Chinese Gordon posted:

100% but aside from his sardaukar there will be a lot of other MPs looking to jump on the winners bandwagon early, if he builds any momentum it's done

it's been decisively proven that the members hate rishi, why back him when he probably loses to whatever rando he faces in the final round anyway

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

forkboy84 posted:

I mean, sure, she could in the sense it isn't against the rules,

"Nobody who just resigned" was in the rules for Boris right? and if they want this done by the 28th as they're claiming they aren't about to gently caress around. Any rule changes they make will be quick hack jobs targeted at specific people, so "no ex PM's" might happen

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

peanut- posted:

Boris wins then has to resign after the standards committee ruling that he lied to Parliament comes down.

Just lol if you think he would resign over that.

Like I said, though, it's unlikely he has the support among MPs to make a comeback. Though his odds *are* shortening dramatically, per Oddschecker...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Chinese Gordon posted:

Just lol if you think he would resign over that.

Like I said, though, it's unlikely he has the support among MPs to make a comeback. Though his odds *are* shortening dramatically, per Oddschecker...

I had this really weird urge to place a bet on Boris being PM again by the end of the year, way back when the odds were absurdly long

I literally never place bets, it never usually even occurs to me. I should've listened to my subconscious, I could be (worthless) quids in!!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

massive spider posted:

Be difficult to see how MPs work with Boris as he returns to office still with their knives hanging out his back like an unkillable slasher movie villain.

The most appropriate Halloween PM.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

I had this really weird urge to place a bet on Boris being PM again by the end of the year, way back when the odds were absurdly long

I literally never place bets, it never usually even occurs to me. I should've listened to my subconscious, I could be (worthless) quids in!!

Same, I think it was 20/1 when I looked and I’ve been telling anyone who’d listen that Boris is gonna come in to sweep up the mess that Truss makes since before she actually beat Sunak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

drunkill posted:

Oh hey, Netflix released the trailer for season 5 of the Crown, the final season.

A pity the show won't cover the last two months and Charlie taking the crown.

There's one more season planned after this. Though I wonder if they'll extend it further since there's now a natural ending point.