Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I feel like Serious Sam is an interesting example of this: In the original games, the hitscanner enemy was the arachnid chaingunner, which came in two flavors: both slow, often placed in elevated positions where they couldn't approach the player, announced themselves with a distinct scream, and whose volleys were preceded by a predictable wind-up.

Then Serious Sam BFE came in, ignored most of this design, and gave a bunch of enemies hitscan attacks and subsequently pissed a bunch of people off.

Wolfenstein 3D to me still has some of the best hitscan combat in any classic FPS, the telegraphing is long enough to be fair but short enough to punish players who are not paying attention or who panic, the damage falls off over distance, the Nazi have a ~50% accuracy drop when you're moving (it's weird, more like an RPG's to-hit roll than a hitscan spread like in Doom), but despite all this if you are stupid and let a Nazi open up on you at close range you will get absolutely smoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, I could write a pair of pages about Destiny failings, in basic things like difficulty, level progression vs content, matchmaking for activities, raids, etc etc. Great shooting though!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

skasion posted:

Wow bizarre. Could potentially spell bad news for Aleph One stuff too, new game means a new need to defend the copyright. I hope they wouldn’t be that dumb since even id can see that legacy community content is a selling point but uh. Trying to shoehorn a live service game into a dead series from the mid 90s is extremely dumb to begin with
There's no abandonwarez or reverse-engineering involved with Aleph One. Everything involved (original source code and game data) was officially released for free by Bungie.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYEZ_tXAoEU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qIP92sKsOk

Deakul fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 20, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I wasn't as big of a fan of UT2k3/4's "Double Domination" twist on the formula, which is the cardinal sin for which I will never forgive them.

Yeah it's much worse. It could just be because I'm playing it in single player atm but you're basically at the mercy of your bot allies to get their heads out of their rear end, because the opposite team is on point.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Wolfenstein Enemy Territory is now on GOG because :shrug:. There's also some GOG-hosted vanilla servers.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah it's much worse. It could just be because I'm playing it in single player atm but you're basically at the mercy of your bot allies to get their heads out of their rear end, because the opposite team is on point.

CTF is even worse. Once you get the enemy flag prepare to solo kill at least 3 bots on the way back, because your teammates will not cover you until you are back on your half of the map.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Kins posted:

There's no abandonwarez or reverse-engineering involved with Aleph One. Everything involved (original source code and game data) was officially released for free by Bungie.

The original source code was released under the GPL so there's no way to put that genie back in the bottle; the Aleph One project should be untouchable. The assets were never GPLed, they just came to an agreement to grant royalty-free distribution rights to certain community actors. I don't know what was actually in those agreements, if they exist on paper and not just as handshakes, but that could in theory be revoked. You would then have to own a legitimate copy of the trilogy to run the original scenarios under A1. Unless there are 100% complete fanwork asset replacement packs I'm not aware of (the Xbox graphics pack I believe is also not GPLed)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 20, 2022

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

In tangential news, Gearbox opted to make a Tales from the Borderland sequel themselves. It sucks poo poo and is getting absolutely roasted by reviewers.

Not an FPS, but any excuse to dunk on Pitchford is a welcome one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I can only imagine the humor in it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

In tangential news, Gearbox opted to make a Tales from the Borderland sequel themselves. It sucks poo poo and is getting absolutely roasted by reviewers.

Not an FPS, but any excuse to dunk on Pitchford is a welcome one.

Destructoid posted:

It pains me to even have to talk about this, but the people need to know. Episode 4 of New Tales from the Borderlands is full of weird kink/fetish poo poo. I’m no prude, and if there’s a place to make “edgy” sex jokes, Borderlands is the place to do it. But oh my god, nothing about it was funny, or cheeky, or enjoyable in any way. It was just awkward and gross and made me deeply, deeply uncomfortable.

That episode alone evoked pee stuff, milking, force feeding, restraints and domination, public humiliation, a robot fully just having a prolonged orgasm in front of everyone, and an anal rape joke about said robot getting STDs. That doesn’t include other instances like allusions to necrophilia, and one of the main characters openly stating she wants to have sex with her surrogate son on multiple occasions. What the gently caress? What the actual gently caress?
:stare:

Randy we dont need to know about all your proclivities

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm generally pretty okay with people being vaguely horny in the games they make but that is 100% someone just showing their entire hand of cards in poker to everyone else at the table

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How much Randy DNA is in Borderlands these days? I stopped playing the first one after 4 hours because I don’t like that Diablo poo poo where you’re constantly swapping out equipment for stuff with slightly better stats.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

One of the most popular posts at least at the time that I checked on the subreddit for BL3 was one that just showed you how to remove all the dialogue from playing in the game because it was that bad.

Mr E fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 20, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Since I now have a steam deck, and am in perpetual love with borderlands 2 (I still haven't beaten it, and I've been playing it on and off for 10 goddamned years :negative:), is 3 worth a drat? I don't care about whatever Claptrap is saying, I just like the shooting, multiplayer, and all the guns.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Steam says I gave up on the first one in September ‘12 after 4.2 hours. I think I bought it on sale to scratch that Fallout itch, and it didn’t do that.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Casimir Radon posted:

How much Randy DNA is in Borderlands these days? I stopped playing the first one after 4 hours because I don’t like that Diablo poo poo where you’re constantly swapping out equipment for stuff with slightly better stats.

Sounds like the new Borderlands has Randy spraying plenty of DNA.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mr E posted:

One of the most poopular posts at least at the time that I checked on the subreddit for BL3 was one that just showed you how to remove all the dialogue from playing in the game because it was that bad.

lol

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Since I now have a steam deck, and am in perpetual love with borderlands 2 (I still haven't beaten it, and I've been playing it on and off for 10 goddamned years :negative:), is 3 worth a drat? I don't care about whatever Claptrap is saying, I just like the shooting, multiplayer, and all the guns.

Blands 3 had better shootfeel than 2 and also has more to do at max level but the dialog is even worse and everybody shouts their lines. also why the hell haven’t you beaten blands 2 it’s not like the game ends when you kill the final boss

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr E posted:

One of the most poopular posts at least at the time that I checked on the subreddit for BL3 was one that just showed you how to remove all the dialogue from playing in the game because it was that bad.

Imagine having dialogue so bad it makes Anthony Bruch look like a nobel laureate.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

How much Randy DNA is in Borderlands these days?
Enough that shining a blacklight on it is ill-advised.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I thought Borderland 3 was a lot better than 2. It's writing is uh, juvenile, but I remember it being a little less chuddy and a little more "for the zoomers."

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

the voiceovers in bl3 were so bad it gave me flashbacks to my days having to endure my roommates drama student house parties through college

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i remember people being excited to discover you could easily remove all of the dialogue in BL3 by deleting certain pak files

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Casimir Radon posted:

Steam says I gave up on the first one in September ‘12 after 4.2 hours. I think I bought it on sale to scratch that Fallout itch, and it didn’t do that.

Oh Jesus, I can't imagine going into BL1 looking for something vaguely Fallout-ish and, you know, getting Borderlands.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I thought Borderland 3 was a lot better than 2. It's writing is uh, juvenile, but I remember it being a little less chuddy and a little more "for the zoomers."

I feel that, mechanically, it's a lot better than BL2, but it didn't have a charismatic dickhead of a villain like BL2's Jack.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

The 7th Guest posted:

:stare:

Randy we dont need to know about all your proclivities

The Writer's Barely-Disguised Fetish: The Game

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I gave up on the first Borderlands 10 minutes in because the default PC FOV was so hosed up it was like your character was leaning forwards and if you're going to be that lazy I'm not putting in the time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

I gave up on the first Borderlands 10 minutes in because the default PC FOV was so hosed up it was like your character was leaning forwards and if you're going to be that lazy I'm not putting in the time.

Oh, I agree, the forces low POV is something I hated, even in the first Halo. I got over it for Halo, but really didn't care for it in BL. Very glad BL2 fixed it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I always wanted to play return to castle wolfenstein back in the day because it apparently had solid MP but I'm gonna guess that scene is completely dead nowadays or filled with people with 5k hours of experience.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I didn't play a ton of BL3 even though I enjoyed BL2 well enough to put like 70-80 hours into it overall. The game seemed better mechanically and drop rate wise than BL2 but the story and characters were just so loving annoying at all times.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

to this day i barely know what an fov is and have never noticed if it's good or bad. Namaste.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Sounds like a lot, going off that Tales review

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

I always wanted to play return to castle wolfenstein back in the day because it apparently had solid MP but I'm gonna guess that scene is completely dead nowadays or filled with people with 5k hours of experience.

Everyone is standing up new enemy territory servers right now it’s a great time to get into the game

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

An Actual Princess posted:

to this day i barely know what an fov is and have never noticed if it's good or bad. Namaste.

Field of view. I feel like Goldeneye somehow got it really close to perfect. Stuff that was right in front of your feet, you could still see until you were standing on it.

Halo and BL1 felt like your body was about 2 feet behind the camera, and while some people like that, I hate it..

This is a good rundown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX_UFrg8xfY

I first noticed what FOV was doing when I was watching a friend play Goldeneye while I was lying down. You might not notice what goes on on the sides of the screen when sitting up, but tilt your head 90 degrees and it'll jump right out at you; the sides (and top/bottom, to a lesser degree) get weirdly compressed so you can see more at one time. Turning really accentuates this compression, as things get smushed and stretched depending on where they are on screen.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 20, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Automata 10 Pack posted:

2's writing wasn't chuddy so much as 'performative ally'. i remember the d&d dlc having some vaguely progressive lines shouted really loudly by the character who shouts really loudly, in a way that felt pretty forced. but the game also still called its small characters 'midgets' and liked to be a little edgelordy at the same time. but in a way that's not actually all that shocking. i guess you could really call it moderate in all respects, just aggressively obnoxiously so

i played through 3 and the dialog was as bad as always but i don't remember it having much of a message beyond parodying 'influencers'. however its story and characters WERE entirely forgettable so I could be forgetting something. the one thing that made it better than 2 was that Tina only shows up twice in the main campaign and is there for like 10 minutes

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 20, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The 7th Guest posted:

but the game also still called its small characters 'midgets'

This got changed in 3, FWIW

I remember at first it seemed like the villains being streamers who built their cult of personality into an actual cult of murderers was a pretty great idea, but they don't really follow it far enough to say anything interesting and at the end one of them transforms into a giant demon for reasons I don't remember which was kinda weak

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I remember Ellie from BL2 being a more of a fat joke than in BL3, where she was more portrayed as a Lizzo type or whatever.

I dunno, memory vague.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

From what I understand people like Tiny Tina. But some years ago someone posted a YouTube video full of quotes and it was all annoying monkey cheese poo poo.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaybGfevu6c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Stop, my sides.