Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I didn't have much hope for it being good so the mixed reviews is what I expected. At least everyone is saying that the characters are the high points so that's good news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'd say a big AAA game getting 4s and 5s from the big review outlets is "dire" personally, Marvels Avengers got a 7 from Gamespot by comparison. Which is probably high and generous frankly but the point stands.

Having to do a bunch of grinding open world activities to unlock traversal stuff on each character if you want to swap sounds dogshit I will say.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I'd say a big AAA game getting 4s and 5s from the big review outlets is "dire" personally, Marvels Avengers got a 7 from Gamespot by comparison. Which is probably high and generous frankly but the point stands.

Having to do a bunch of grinding open world activities to unlock traversal stuff on each character if you want to swap sounds dogshit I will say.

It is averaging a 7/10 which I think is a perfectly fair score. It nails a lot of things and fumbles on others. It is neither am Arkham style masterpiece nor a terrible game. It is firmly average and bolstered by some immensely likable character writing.

The best way I can sum it up is "I had fun but the game I'd really like to see is a sequel where they learn from their mistakes because the baseline is strong'

The Traversal thing is annoying but also something I knocked out without paying attention when swapping to a different character to do co-op. It should have been shared between characters though.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 20, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What system did you play it on? Or is your link posted somewhere?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

What system did you play it on? Or is your link posted somewhere?

PS5. It ran relatively poorly until a day 1 patch which seemed to improve it a lot, but I didn't have as much time with the patch. I can absolutely believe a PS4 version would have been shot.

It does a lot of really cool stuff with fog and lighting. You can actually spot crimes in the distance based off the flashes from gunfire or police lights shining on fog. Unfortunately I also expect this is the big overhead for the game as pre-patch a lot of the worst frame rate drops were in the areas with tons of neon signs and fog.

I can't say 'buy it at 60' unless you're genuinely interested despite the flaws but I could see it being a real fun co-op with friend thing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 20, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah I'm not sure because most of the fun I planned to have was co-op but online and IRL friends are tentative about it so it's kind of like we're all playing chicken wondering if someone is going to buy it first and make it worthwhile for others to get.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Yeah I'm not sure because most of the fun I planned to have was co-op but online and IRL friends are tentative about it so it's kind of like we're all playing chicken wondering if someone is going to buy it first and make it worthwhile for others to get.

Couldn't hurt to wait and see what Heroic Assault is first if nothing else.

If you are worried about spoilers I can just say the best part of the game is the character banter and interaction, the core plot is Bog Standard Batman just without some of the big names.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Game is unfun, runs poorly, and the grind wears you down. We here at videogamespaid4 give Gotham Knights an 8.5/10

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I see reviews saying it's fun but the GAAS type stuff like having to loot for better things when there's not any endgame type activities is dumb.

GAAS needs to die

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Codependent Poster posted:

I see reviews saying it's fun but the GAAS type stuff like having to loot for better things when there's not any endgame type activities is dumb.

GAAS needs to die

There has to be a better way to describe this than "GAAS-type" since the game is not really that. Loot bloat, maybe?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Seeing that the story is pretty good as well so I’ll probably check it out to hold me over until Ragnarok. Looks about as good as the prequel and that was fun enough

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

GAAS needs to die

Gotham Knights isn't GAAS. It is just a looty action RPG. It is more akin to GoW 2016 or Asscreeds Origin.

There are no lootboxes/in game currency, it has an actual defined ending after which you unlock NG+, etc. The closest thing that might change that is Heroic Assault but even thst just sounds like multiplayer.

Hell you even unlock all the non-preorder stuff in game by doing challenges as such. If you hate loot it isn't going to change your mind but it is just standard game loot stuff.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 20, 2022

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Really hoping Gotham Knights gets a sequel if only because I want a chance of playing as Spoiler and Orphan

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In terms of loot I'm expecting the Heroic Assault 4-player mode to be similar to Tsushima's Legends mode.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Well we have suicide squad still

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've been ignoring reviews as one review had a major spoiler right in the title, but I did expect at least mid to average scores. I'm a sucker for good characterization and some of the Nightwing and Robin fight videos I saw looked pretty fun.

I might pick this up.

I've been playing Marvel's Spider-Man when I have time for games and I need to play something else before Pokemon Scarlet drops.

ImpAtom posted:

You can actually spot crimes in the distance based off the flashes from gunfire or police lights shining on fog.

This sounds really cool, honestly. It'd be fun if Spider-Man 2 had something like this. I understand the HUD is because he has tech in his mask but it'd be cool if you could see poo poo going down and just show up and beat some people down.

Unless framerate drops to like 10-15, I don't know if I'd notice the drops as much. I tend to not notice that kind of thing. My phone is max 120hz and I can barely distinguish it from 60, for example.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Playing through it with Batgirl and I'm liking it so far. I could stand the movements to be smoother but the actual animations and inputs are good. Excited to check out the full range of combat moves.

Also the suit customization is fun. Switching the boot, glove, cowl, etc. styles within the choice of suit is a cool idea.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'd been looking for a thread to discuss this game as I was surprised to not see a dedicated thread already. Anywho...I've pre-ordered the deluxe version off of Steam and am just waiting for it to unlock. All the goofy looting poo poo is stuff I really wish they'd stop cramming into every game, but i'm also a huge sucker for anything Batman or Batman adjacent. I also loved the Court of Owls New 52 storyline and so I'm pumped to dive into this. That is all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Only a few experience levels into the game but so far the loot aspect has mostly amounted to me going back to base at the end of a night of crimefighting and seeing what upgrades I am able to craft. When you're done fighting a crime it's good to scan around and see if there are chests with stuff in it but you don't have to.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My PSN id is MoldyMilkJug if anyone wants to play this weekend.

I’m looking forward to see other peoples bat characters, and busting heads together.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I am having fun with the game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I played a few hours, can confirm, it's fun. Looking forward to playing more.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Thank god for transmog skins because Tim's default is hideous

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Now that I've been Knighted, traversal is better. Babs gets a cape glide as her traversal mechanic so there's that nice Bat-feel of swooping down on criminals or just bridging the gap until the next grappling hook point. It's not as developed as the grapple + glide stuff in Arkham however. Or maybe I should say it doesn't have the same oomph.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
So are all of you playing pirated versions or broken street date physical?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It came out today

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mr Hootington posted:

So are all of you playing pirated versions or broken street date physical?

They knocked it down from the 25th to the 21st a while ago. Possibly after Midnight Suns got delayed.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Open Marriage Night posted:

They knocked it down from the 25th to the 21st a while ago. Possibly after Midnight Suns got delayed.

Weird

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wish you could switch characters on the fly. That would probably get me to use more. I've only used Nightwing and Batgirl so far, but it never fails to when I choose Nightwing I come across cameras and poo poo that Batgirl could disable or have ignore her completely.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It was fun to bash some gangers with Nightwings sticks.

Still pretty early in what Bat Rogues were confirmed for the game?

So I know Ra’s and the League of Assassins, Mr Freeze, Harley Quinn, Penguin, Clayface, and the Court of Owls. Any others from previews I might have missed?

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 22, 2022

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

An hour in. So far, game kicks rear end. Shame I can’t play with RayTracing on, but my RTX 3070 stutters a bit when using it. So I’m able to tie everything else onto the highest setting w/ DLSS on “quality” and game runs fantastically.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MonsterEnvy posted:

So I know Ra’s and the League of Assassins, Mr Freeze, Harley Quinn, Penguin, Clayface, and the Court of Owls. Any others from previews I might have missed?

The first dead body you investigate in the story hints at one, but they are dead, sooooo... maybe not?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

That is pretty much it except for one or two which are spoilers but are thank loving god not The Joker.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Good to hear we get a Joker break.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Good to hear we get a Joker break.

A break from the Joker or is this said like coffee break.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm playing as Robin and just vaulted over two buildings to punch a guy in the face who was really just kind of standing there but his friend shot at me after so...

This game loving rules so hard.

That mirrors the time I web zipped in Spider-Man and kicked a robber on the way to the perch point.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

For those of you who've gotten farther into the game, is there ANY reason why this couldn't have been/be a direct sequel to Arkham Knight? It feels like it would've been find to set it five years later when the four BatFamily peeps had been working together on and off. I'm not seeing why this needed to be its "own thing" when it follows a premise closely setup by Arkham Knight.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

For those of you who've gotten farther into the game, is there ANY reason why this couldn't have been/be a direct sequel to Arkham Knight? It feels like it would've been find to set it five years later when the four BatFamily peeps had been working together on and off. I'm not seeing why this needed to be its "own thing" when it follows a premise closely setup by Arkham Knight.

I'm not very far in, but Ra's Al Ghul and Batman die in a cinematic before the game starts, Wayne manor and the Batcave are completely destroyed, Alfred is still alive, Harley worked with Batman before he died, and Talia is alive and purposefully cremated Ra's Al Ghul's body so he can't be revived pretty much makes it really hard to set it after Knight. Also, there's no mention of the events of Arkham City or Knight, the GCPD is very, very corrupt (to the point where you can beat up cops if you need to/want to) which wouldn't make sense after they all trusted Batman enough to wander around GCPD HQ all on his own with all his weapons on him in Knight and Langstrom is dead and apparently has never been Man Bat so that storyline doesn't work either.

So far, from what I'm seeing there's lots of things here and there that make it, at best, an alternate universe that could've started after the events of Arkham City, sort of an AU Arkham Knight.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 22, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

chaosapiant posted:

Maybe not one single reason, no.

- To include Jason it might have been easier to start fresh, or at least start from a current comics status.
- More creative freedom with the villains.
- I don't know what's up with Rocksteady, like do they want to keep doing Arkham forever? Do they even have the same people still? Was doing another Batman game a top-down decision or was it a combination of Rocksteady not wanting it and this studio pitching a different direction?
- Chicken & the egg mystery of whether the gameplay departure or story departure came first. If they wanted a story departure it would make sense to do something different with the gameplay. If they wanted a gameplay departure I think it would also make sense to set it apart from the Arkham continuity or you'd have people even more upset it doesn't play the same.
- Related to that, I wonder if they knew they wanted online co-op early on and something about the Arkham combat system doesn't gel with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One of my “favorite” features of the game is the tutorial windows that pop up and block half the screen while I’m in combat.