Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Supposedly Jacob Rees-Mogg was seen manhandling a crying Tory MP back into Parliament which is about a close to a Monty Python skit come to life as you can get.

If you let Jacob Rees-Mogg physically overpower you, you should cry. You've lost at everything related to traditional manhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1583066718078803970

Fun times.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

*Checks calender* oh god it's them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puEXCyqkEKA

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Ding-dong the witch is dead. Liz Truss has gone.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
How many Scaramuccis did she last?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Generation Internet posted:

3? kwartengs, which I think is 3*3.5 = 11.5 Scaramuccis. Haven't checked the conversion tables so it might be 3*36 = 108 Scaramuccis?

E. Nope, the conversion is 3.5.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 20, 2022

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

4.5 !

I'd guess Rishi will be the next PM with Penny as a deputy, and probably keeping CHunt as chancellor.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I look forward to the Trashfuture episode that will cover this.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Baconroll posted:

Ding-dong the witch is dead. Liz Truss has gone.

The lettuce won!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/liz-truss-lettuce-last-longer-28235047

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

King Charles has a long way to go to match his mom going through 15 prime ministers, but if he keeps up this speedrun pace he might just do it

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Oof. I feel for everyone working MSP or adjacent right now. Undersea cable cuts are always poo poo storm generators.

Also, lol at the lettuce reigning longer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Who is next on the revolving door that is UK Government?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
gently caress it, I'll give it a shot.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CommieGIR posted:

Maybe they should try a potato this time?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

RFC2324 posted:

Maybe they should try a potato this time?

Potato is a good shot. Lettuce was an obvious short timer. I've had bags of potatoes sprout things and go pretty funky over time though. Need something with serious staying power. Carrots or turnips could do. I've also seen strings of garlic last years, though there's probably some societal baggage there at the idea of being led by garlic.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

bird food bathtub posted:

Potato is a good shot. Lettuce was an obvious short timer. I've had bags of potatoes sprout things and go pretty funky over time though. Need something with serious staying power. Carrots or turnips could do. I've also seen strings of garlic last years, though there's probably some societal baggage there at the idea of being led by garlic.

Why? Its white and smells foul after eating isn't it?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

"Eyy bruv, they say I'm the new Proime Ministah now. 'Parently the last guy they asked said, 'U wot, mate? gently caress off out of here, you cheeky bastard' so then they told me to come to 10 Downing Street."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
So is Labour really that awful that the Tories can have this hilarious poo poo show and still remain in power?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

So is Labour really that awful that the Tories can have this hilarious poo poo show and still remain in power?

The entire concept of this revolving door of PMs and cabinet continuing the cycle without a General Election to give the public a chance to throw the whole lot of incompetents out on their asses is just so weird to me.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Leave posted:

gently caress it, I'll give it a shot.

They already voted for you and regretted it, give someone else a turn.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arrath posted:

The entire concept of this revolving door of PMs and cabinet continuing the cycle without a General Election to give the public a chance to throw the whole lot of incompetents out on their asses is just so weird to me.

It certainly seems like a pretty big mark against parliamentary systems.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://www.rawstory.com/rebels-run/

quote:

An attempt to make a Confederacy-promoting right-wing super hero movie has reportedly "ended in disaster" after $1 million in funders' money has gone completely missing.

The Daily Beast's Will Sommer reports that the planned movie, called "Rebel's Run," was based on a comic book character created by far-right blogger Vox Day that features a hero named Rebel who is "sometimes depicted in a Confederate flag bustier" and who fights against "a global police force hunting down freethinking conservatives."

The film's troubles started when Day, whose given name is Theodore Beale, decided to use a Utah-based firm called Ohana Capital Financial to hold the $1 million he'd raised in donations for the movie in escrow.

Beale went with Ohana because it was a rare financial institution who would do business with him given his long history of unabashed racism and sexism.

The trouble, as Sommer writes, is that Ohana appears to have been a sham institution set up by a con artist.

"Ohana was the creation of James Wolfgramm, a self-described cryptocurrency billionaire who posted pictures of sports cars that supposedly belonged to him on social media," he writes. "But in fact, according to a federal indictment filed last month, Wolfgramm’s wealth was a sham. The sports car pictures, for example, were pulled from other websites. Wolfgramm’s business also sold what were billed as high-tech cryptocurrency mining rigs — but those too were a hoax, according to prosecutors, with their screens just running on a loop to create the illusion of mine."

Day told disappointed supporters recently that their money had, in fact, gone missing while under Wolfgramm's care.

"I wouldn’t count on us getting the money back," said Day, who also baselessly claimed that the theft was part of a grander plot "intended to break our community."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Arrath posted:

Would they though? Throw them out on their asses that is. I admittedly don't live there so I'm going off a US political system-centric point of view. Through that lens it looks like nobody on the political right ever admits that kind of defeat for fear of showing weakness or whatever the gently caress motivates them. Seems the only outcome that ever takes place is leadership gets shittier and more fasc-y, voters see and feel that, then dive down whatever information rabbit hole they've cocooned themselves in. Then they're convinced that the other side are baby raping soul vampires under orders from Satan and Xenu that they have to support their newer, shittier and even more fasc-y leadership to fight against.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Would they though? Throw them out on their asses that is. I admittedly don't live there so I'm going off a US political system-centric point of view. Through that lens it looks like nobody on the political right ever admits that kind of defeat for fear of showing weakness or whatever the gently caress motivates them. Seems the only outcome that ever takes place is leadership gets shittier and more fasc-y, voters see and feel that, then dive down whatever information rabbit hole they've cocooned themselves in. Then they're convinced that the other side are baby raping soul vampires under orders from Satan and Xenu that they have to support their newer, shittier and even more fasc-y leadership to fight against.

Sure, that's the question of the day. The whole NHS bus and Brexit debacle throws the outcome into doubt, surely. But the public ought to have the chance, if nothing else, right?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Stultus Maximus posted:

New election isn't due for another two years, unless the tories give up power and call for a new election, but I doubt that will happen.

I'm not sure what's so weird about a parliamentary system to you Americans, if you elect someone for president you're stuck with them for 4 years, as well.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

1. Yes, basically the professional wing of the party spent the last election kneecapping their own candidate rather than contemplate a shift to the left.

2. No. It's weird because this round of UK parliament stuff is in the US more or less like the fights for the Speaker of the House or something like that. Since the conservatives won the last election, all this sturm and drang is internal to their bullshit. Unless labour can peel off enough conservative MPs to force a no confidence vote, they're kinda locked in. And the conservative MPs would rather knife it out internally since they know they'll probably lose an actual election if it comes down to that, at least where things stand now.

That said, polling indicates (for however much that's worth) that Labour would probably win an election if it happened now, though more by default than because anyone believes in them.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

ZombieApostate posted:

They already voted for you and regretted it, give someone else a turn.

:golfclap:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SerthVarnee posted:

Its fine, no hard feelings.
You had no expectations of and no way of knowing this would harm me in any way so I have an easy time forgiving you.
I only use the pc version of somethingawful since I don't use smartphones those have tried to kill epileptics before so I don't think the awful app settings will do much for me. Am I wrong?
The problem is that I could isolate myself entirely and wrap myself up in a bubble, but there are triggers literally everywhere, so I'd have to put myself into something like tripple covid lockdown to be reasonably sure that I won't run into another trigger.

Its easier for me to attempt to change the world by asking nicely than it is for me to stop using my pc, stop going through nature parks, stop riding public transportation, not use a smartphone and not be near fluorescent lights. And those examples are just from this month alone.

If you so desire, there are extensions for chrome/edge that will let you selectively block twitter images from load while keeping the rest of the page untouched.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

New election isn't due for another two years, unless the tories give up power and call for a new election, but I doubt that will happen.

I'm not sure what's so weird about a parliamentary system to you Americans, if you elect someone for president you're stuck with them for 4 years, as well.

The only way we'd have as many presidents in as much time is if they all got Doom Slayer'd and while I get the idea of the whole system, it seems to me that if a political party can't even keep their newly designated leader in office longer than a head of lettuce then....

For context, the only American presidents (going off the top of my head) that would fail the lettuce test only do so because in their time medicine was primitive enough that you could poo poo yourself to death.

Edit: Like for the equivalent to happen both the POTUS & VP would have to be gone, then you need to have their party also have control of House (Speaker is 3rd in line), and THEN you need them to also resign and have the new speaker be the new new POTUS. The closest we have gotten is President Ford and that was seen as a pretty extraordinary.

Edit 2: The fact of the matter is that the time is now for the Irish to kick out the English and put an end to their centuries old colonial project.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 20, 2022

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

SlowBloke posted:

If you so desire, there are extensions for chrome/edge that will let you selectively block twitter images from load while keeping the rest of the page untouched.

I appreciate the offer, but its like blocking trains from running on rails because one or two of them has a bad wheel.
I spend my time online, sometimes I run into bad poo poo online. poo poo happens.
It just took me completely by surprise just before bedtime and I took it out on someone who had no clue it was going to even be possible for it to be harmful.
Sometimes its a direct image link, sometimes its a twitter post, sometimes its a youtube video.
If I block those, I'd quickly end up clicking past the block just to still see what the thread is going on about.
I'd have to basically log off forever and stay in my house forever to be almost safe.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SerthVarnee posted:

I appreciate the offer, but its like blocking trains from running on rails because one or two of them has a bad wheel.
I spend my time online, sometimes I run into bad poo poo online. poo poo happens.
It just took me completely by surprise just before bedtime and I took it out on someone who had no clue it was going to even be possible for it to be harmful.
Sometimes its a direct image link, sometimes its a twitter post, sometimes its a youtube video.
If I block those, I'd quickly end up clicking past the block just to still see what the thread is going on about.
I'd have to basically log off forever and stay in my house forever to be almost safe.

Would a smaller thumbnailed version of the same image give you the same trouble? If there's some version of these extensions that resize images on Twitter and elsewhere instead of blocking completely that might be worth looking into.

I'm sure you've thought through this way more than any of us have, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I think that could work yeah.
My train of thought hasn't been so much "thorough on the tech side" as it has been "resigned to my fate".

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The apriximate US translation of the british system would be if republican senators + congressmen could vote to fire the republican president and replace him with one of them. A party-led coup in other words. Rinse & Repeat until 4y since the last GE, or if the Democrats could win an impeachment against the potus simply for being incompetent (= vote of no confidence).

Add to that that they have a first-past-the-post, winner takes all of the regions representation (aka elector votes), system like the US, and about as heavily gerrymandered, but with thinner margins. Thus you sometimes get weird results in the general with big swings and seats flipping

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Tiny Timbs posted:

It certainly seems like a pretty big mark against parliamentary systems.

We only implement parliamentary systems in the democracies we create cause our system is such poo poo so...

The issues they are facing is the parties are electing poo poo leaders like BoJo or Jeremy Corbyn that are unpalatable to the general public and just generally poo poo. The same thing happens here with the primarys.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

lightpole posted:

We only implement parliamentary systems in the democracies we create cause our system is such poo poo so...

The issues they are facing is the parties are electing poo poo leaders like BoJo or Jeremy Corbyn that are unpalatable to the general public and just generally poo poo. The same thing happens here with the primarys.

A reminder that unlike the US, where anyone who checks the R or D box can be considered a party member, UK parties generally only consider active members as party members. We are talking about people willing to give regular donations and show up to at least local meetings. Only about 2% of the voters are members of a UK party. These are the people who elected BoJo and Jeremy Corbyn. Think of them as the people who have shown up for at least 10 primaries in a row in the US system.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

head straight to the source
https://twitter.com/Scaramucci/status/1583077679439695872?s=20&t=kihSyQB3Z_38_JSJFjL-3w

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

BoJo coming back for round 2

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

golden bubble posted:

A reminder that unlike the US, where anyone who checks the R or D box can be considered a party member, UK parties generally only consider active members as party members. We are talking about people willing to give regular donations and show up to at least local meetings. Only about 2% of the voters are members of a UK party. These are the people who elected BoJo and Jeremy Corbyn. Think of them as the people who have shown up for at least 10 primaries in a row in the US system.

Primaries are only held every 2 years (typically); I would posit that it's more the kind of people who show up to run a HOA.

That said, I continue to enjoy watching something other than the US experience the joys of poo poo politicians and poo poo leadership. It's nice for someone else's ship to be on fire for once. :v:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ohana means family fourteen words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

shame on an IGA posted:

Ohana means family fourteen words

hahah poo poo