Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ZShakespeare posted:

Wait doesn't this thread usually ride hard for the NDP?

In the sense that they are generally the least worst option, yes. But there has never been any shortage of criticism for them re: aiming low and executing terribly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ZShakespeare posted:

Every party is the worst party possible except for every other party which is the worst party possible.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't think anyone here actually likes the NDP, they're just usually the marginally least bad option in most races. Like they don't offer anything inspiring and are in fact mostly pretty loving bad. It's just everyone else is worse.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ZShakespeare posted:

I vote for them, I don’t simp for them

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think anyone here actually likes the NDP, they're just usually the marginally least bad option in most races. Like they don't offer anything inspiring and are in fact mostly pretty loving bad. It's just everyone else is worse.

Yeah also a completely different story when discussing the provincial party vs the national one, mainly because the BC NDP actually wins elections sometimes

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I hate on the NDP for only doing marginally good things instead of very good things, however you have to balance that against every other party actively trying to make life worse.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
They're terrible at running campaigns and they're terrible at effectively using they power they have, when they have it. That said, my other choices for federal and provincial representation are worse, so it's NDP or abstain from voting. Functionally, either choice is about the same.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

infernal machines posted:

They're terrible at running campaigns and they're terrible at effectively using they power they have, when they have it. That said, my other choices for federal and provincial representation are worse, so it's NDP or abstain from voting. Functionally, either choice is about the same.

Really curious which parts of the current BC Green platform you find so objectionable that stapling your unconditional vote to the fossil fuel lobby is preferable

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Franks Happy Place posted:

Really curious which parts of the current BC Green platform you find so objectionable that stapling your unconditional vote to the fossil fuel lobby is preferable

I think infernal machines would have a hard time voting for the BCNDP.

Having said that, Mike Schreiner (leader of the Ontario Greens) is mostly not so bad, and it's hard to argue he's any worse than Andrea Horwath was. The rest of the party... well, your satisfaction with (or tolerance of) local candidates may vary. The ONDP candidates I had the opportunity to vote for were pretty much all good, while the Green candidates often demonstrated the near-total absence of a vetting process in the party at federal and provincial levels.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I don't live in BC, so none, really.

eXXon posted:

I think infernal machines would have a hard time voting for the BCNDP.

Having said that, Mike Schreiner (leader of the Ontario Greens) is mostly not so bad, and it's hard to argue he's any worse than Andrea Horwath was. The rest of the party... well, your satisfaction with (or tolerance of) local candidates may vary. The ONDP candidates I had the opportunity to vote for were pretty much all good, while the Green candidates often demonstrated the near-total absence of a vetting process in the party at federal and provincial levels.

Merit Styles has been okay, certainly no worse than I'd expect from the official opposition to a majority government. I anticipate she will continue to be okay. I don't know anything about Karen Stephenson, and evidently neither does anyone else around here, but at least she finished ahead of the Ontario Party.

Horwath should've been shown the door two elections ago, but the collapse of the OLP seemed to buoy her support, best showing ever and all that.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 20, 2022

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

infernal machines posted:

I don't live in BC, so none, really.

Fair enough, that's on me, I've spent all day screaming at NDP staffers and I'm all riled up.

I would say that if you are an elder millenial with a view of the Green Party in your area that is based on their past as a bunch of Tesla libertarians, you should go back and maybe check them out, they have moved significantly to the left in most regions as young people terrified about climate change clown car into the party and wrestle it away from boomer Greenpeace shitheads

They're still useless federally but fixing that requires a provincial farm team to improve the quality of the staffers regardless so I'm not sweating that right now. A lot of climate action needs to be provincial anyways

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

No worries, and for what it's worth i hope the Greens become viable in BC and ON. If people are squeezing out the Tories in Teslas, that's good, as long as they're not being replaced by people even wackier.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

ChickenDoodle posted:

The scumbag anti-SOGI Chilliwack school trustees lost their reelection horribly, so it seems like things might be alright :unsmith:

And Doug “my foot hurts, let’s build a canal and a stadium for REASONS” McCallum got shown the door so hooray!

There was a good mix of ages voting now so I’m hopeful the trend continues.

As a chillbilly out in the 'wack I'm afraid I must inform that there are still 2 openly bigoted trustees; one of the OG anti-sogi's Heather Maahs was re-elected and a new guy, forgot his name he owns Hofstede's (Fraser Valley version of Fresh St) got in. But the main psycho Barry Neufeld got the boot, as well as another fellow dbag so the votes should be 5-2 in favour of the queer agenda going forward. Teri Westerby is a new elect and openly trans so hopefully that drives the jerks even more crazy!

Unfortunately our do-nothing car dealership mayor easily defeated the activist who campaigned on housing and climate action for the second election in a row, smdh.

So it's nice for sure to potentially have a non lovely school board, but I would caution against the false hope of progress being a trend - any victory can be reversed, at any time.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1582959543843450880?t=c9XUp9-mSXsUmEv7iAcsyA&s=19

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Ahaha whoops! Somewhere Kevin Falcon just came so hard

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
What a joke

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
In absolute awe at the incompetence of the NDP. Disgusting

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Anjali even pleaded with them not to do this to Eby lol

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oil and gas parasites rather have liberals than ndp so why not kill the current host and move on?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
I hope Anjali keeps running for some position, she clearly has the platform and skills to win, she gave the federal Liberal candidate a run for his money in the snap election. Guess I'm cancelling my BC NDP membership tomorrow.

No way I'm voting Liberal, and Greens need to rebuild themselves, but this means anyone left of center will be eyeing the next chance to jump ship. At least, for those that will still participate at all after this.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Oxyclean posted:

Useless fuckos mad (now) mayoral candidate Mckenny did more for the city during the convoy then they did.

Sure didn't seem like it at the start of the year.

I find it very funny that twitter trolls have latched onto this and re-posting it over and over on McKenney's tweets as if they or their supporters would be distraught at negative press from the police association lol.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Careful buddy…

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

I pointed this poo poo out years ago and got this cool av for it.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
There's an article on CBC about anti-trans candidates running for school board trustee in Ontario. How can I identify if any of the candidates in my riding are anti-trans or are otherwise shitheads so I can vote accordingly? I was only planning on voting for mayor and councillor but here we are.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

acetcx posted:

There's an article on CBC about anti-trans candidates running for school board trustee in Ontario. How can I identify if any of the candidates in my riding are anti-trans or are otherwise shitheads so I can vote accordingly? I was only planning on voting for mayor and councillor but here we are.

Fortunately chuds provided a handy list of who you should absolutely not vote for:

https://www.voteagainstwoke.ca/

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

acetcx posted:

I used voteagainstwoke.ca to figure out who not to vote for.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
Perfect, thanks.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

They call themselves ParentsChoice or ParentsVoice, things like that

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The BC Green platform is literally just "we're in favour of all the good things, but we're against the bad things" with zero detail.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
At least we can say that our shortest Prime Minister's reign (Tupper) was more than two months (68 days). He never sat in Parliament unlike Truss, but runner-up, Turner was second who lasted 79 days and did sit.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

evilpicard posted:

The BC Green platform is literally just "we're in favour of all the good things, but we're against the bad things" with zero detail.

The BC NDP platform is literally just "we're in favour of all the good things, but we're against the bad things" with zero detail.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Actually that's not true. It's "we're not the BC LIberals"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

enki42 posted:

Fortunately chuds provided a handy list of who you should absolutely not vote for:

https://www.voteagainstwoke.ca/
I was wondering what their methodology was since I know of several trustee candidates and incumbents who had said they're "anti-woke" but they're not on that list.

quote:

How we select the trustees we recommend
Trustee recommendations are based on crowd feedback on the perception that a candidate is non-woke. This system serves voters, not candidates; therefore, the listed candidates are not associated with this site in any way.
It looks like their sourcing is just "trust us"?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

ZShakespeare posted:

Actually that's not true. It's "we're not the BC United"

Fixed that for you.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Calumanjaro posted:

I used voteagainstwoke.ca to figure out who not to vote for.

Thanks for this, I'm spreading it around

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Thanks for this, I'm spreading it around

I'm just imagining them getting very excited as their metrics go through the roof, not quite realizing how it is people are using their invaluable resource.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

This is from October 8 but nothing seems to have come of it.

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1578867650608107520

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

This is from October 8 but nothing seems to have come of it.

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1578867650608107520

Even without the hypocrisy, eliminating the only opposition in any "democratic" selection process makes it obvious that the process was never going to be democratic in the first place. Exceptions made for this only with the most obvious and extreme cases; if the candidate has committed a felony then yeah, you got no choice (see for example: Trump the literal traitor). But using an edge case and seemingly made-up internal rule to auto-select the result reads as rigged no matter how any political party tries to sugar coat it.

They could have asked her to pay a fine, would have still been bogus but it would deliver the slap on the wrist without destroying the semblance of democracy. But nope, they decided to risk losing all her supporters to pick the leader the top insiders wanted.

What's pathetic is that the UK is basically going through the exact same problem right now, and neither of these parties will realize their mistake.

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 20, 2022

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

ZShakespeare posted:

Actually that's not true. It's "we're not the BC LIberals"

This is an incredible platform, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Lain Iwakura posted:

Turner was second who lasted 79 days and did sit.

Turner never sat in the House as PM.