Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My figure is I haven't posted 1,000 times in this thread and broken my brain through obsession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So what did?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haven't had time to find out, too busy doing stuff. Probably something awesome though.

Unrelated, have you considered printing out your post history from this thread into a massive book and taking it to a doctor and seeing what they have to say?

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Haven't had time to find out, too busy doing stuff. Probably something awesome though.

Unrelated, have you considered printing out your post history from this thread into a massive book and taking it to a doctor and seeing what they have to say?

As much as I think that the thread is extremely doomscrolling, I think Platystemon really does try to be informative as possible and uses sources. :kiddo:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This freak keeps posting about covid in the covid thread! Time to show everyone how cool I am by getting mad about it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yes, I've been posting on SA for 19 years and have 30k posts, but this guys gone too far!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Salt Fish posted:

Yes, I've been posting on SA for 19 years and have 30k posts, but this guys gone too far!

Yeah that only works when you haven't been on the site for essentially the same amount of time and posted almost identical amounts. When you're essentially the top most poster in an entire megathread that has lasted for years, it's not a good sign and you should know this.

If he thinks out of a million people at outside football games every single Sunday that there are 150,000 fresh new covid cases then the country is going to disintegrate any second now and we're all doomed anyway.

Oh gently caress! There's baseball too! And hockey! And MLS and... ok we skip the last one, but you get my point.

e: sorry, it was 150k not 125k. I somehow underestimated this insane figure.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 20, 2022

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I feel like maybe there's a difference in scale of arguments from "a significant fraction of people at football games probably have COVID" and "i can literally never leave my house again, there is no point in living anymore because of this respiratory disease with vaccines and treatments".

This point has been repeated about 8 billion times in this thread, but not everyone is a platonic ideal of ultra-doomer or gently caress and suck at Applebees 24/7.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Oh look, a covid minimizing fuckwit from Florida!

Thanks for contributing your perspective, and baseless assertions; very informative.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You've been pulled over for posting over the speed limit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I used Germany’s prevalence for my mental arithmetic, because it’s a memorable statistic that two per thousand Germans tested positive in a single day.

Accounting for ascertainment ratio (I chose five, four silent cases for everyone one reported) and the duration of illness (one week), and you’ve got seventy per thousand ill at this moment. So that would be seventy thousand per million.

I doubled it because cases are heavily skewed toward the sport fanatic demographic so far as age goes, and probably in other ways as well, and to account for new cases now incubating.

The fundamental flaw in this analysis was using Germany figure as a baseline and not America’s. The figure may be close to correct if we were looking at a million football ⚽️ fans, but not when we are looking at a million football 🏈 fans.

For England, the figure would be more like thirty thousand. The Office of National Statistics makes their own estimates, and in the most recent week for which data was available, the prevalence was two point seven eight percent.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

You've been pulled over for posting over the speed limit

:justpost: is a trap every time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Blitter posted:

Oh look, a covid minimizing fuckwit from Florida!

I prefer 'covid mediumizing fuckwit in Florida'.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

enki42 posted:

I feel like maybe there's a difference in scale of arguments from "a significant fraction of people at football games probably have COVID" and "i can literally never leave my house again, there is no point in living anymore because of this respiratory disease with vaccines and treatments".

This point has been repeated about 8 billion times in this thread, but not everyone is a platonic ideal of ultra-doomer or gently caress and suck at Applebees 24/7.

Curious what "vaccines and treatments" there are to prevent or cure pancreatitis, diabetes, asthma, nerve pain, chronic fatigue, and brain fog, all of which are caused by covid even in the fully up to date immunized and all of which are life-long. I don't really see a life spent alone, on an ultra strict diet, unable to do even simple tasks and in constant pain as worth living, no.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Dude, poo poo happens sometimes and nothing is risk free. That doesn't mean you need to be reckless, but "going outside while still wearing a mask" is not even approaching reckless, even frankly for high risk people. You are making the biggest mountain possible over what admittedly is a decent sized molehill.

Plenty of people in this thread have posted about all kinds of activities that are relatively pretty safe. Go to a well-spaced patio with friends. Go on a nature walk. Do poo poo indoors while masked! I'm high risk and I go sailing, went bouldering indoors with my kids this week, eat outside at restaurants, and all sorts of other things. Am I absolutely no matter what guaranteed to not get COVID? No, but I'm also not guaranteed to not get skin cancer by just being in the sun, but taking reasonable risks to have some semblance of a life is something that is just a part of life, and isn't new to COVID.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Okay so I am curious, I know that eating inside without a mask put you in very close proximity with other people that are also maskless, which is high covid exposure possibility rate, but how does eating outside mitigate that, by that much? I don't see patio seating spaced out beyond a foot or so.

I mean, I wear a mask wherever I go anywhere, but going for a walk outside especially in a crowded park without a mask, doesn't seem extremely safe to me. There's still a lot of people around, all without masks on either, so how does going outside keep you safer maskless?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Cowslips Warren posted:

Okay so I am curious, I know that eating inside without a mask put you in very close proximity with other people that are also maskless, which is high covid exposure possibility rate, but how does eating outside mitigate that, by that much? I don't see patio seating spaced out beyond a foot or so.

Depends on the patio for sure, but ventilation within an enclosed restaurant and on a completely open patio is drastically different.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 20, 2022

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Imagine the difference between someone smoking a few tables over indoors vs someone smoking a few tables over outside.

But yeah if the person sitting next to you is smoking the extra ventilation can only do so much.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean, I wear a mask wherever I go anywhere, but going for a walk outside especially in a crowded park without a mask, doesn't seem extremely safe to me. There's still a lot of people around, all without masks on either, so how does going outside keep you safer maskless?

Related, there was a statistic which was being thrown around a LOT way back at the start of the pandemic that only 1 in 1000 infections occur outdoors, getting quoted in many media articles but was also cited in several papers. The trouble is, that statistic was completely bunk and if you think for a minute about how it's usually impossible to say with 100% certainty exactly where and when an exposure resulted in an infection you'll see that the statistic was always complete bunk.

Here's a twitter thread on where that fake statistic came from and how it spread:

https://twitter.com/orla_hegarty/status/1492586980735082497?lang=en

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I used Germany’s prevalence for my mental arithmetic, because it’s a memorable statistic that two per thousand Germans tested positive in a single day.

Accounting for ascertainment ratio (I chose five, four silent cases for everyone one reported) and the duration of illness (one week), and you’ve got seventy per thousand ill at this moment. So that would be seventy thousand per million.

Currently the app has 86,091 infections as the 7 day average for Germany. 86 thousand reported for 80 million or so people so I think your numbers are off a bit.

Seventy thousand per million would be 5.6 million currently infected people in Germany, basically all of which would have to be silent cases.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Old Woman Island posted:

Currently the app has 86,091 infections as the 7 day average for Germany. 86 thousand reported for 80 million or so people so I think your numbers are off a bit.

Seventy thousand per million would be 5.6 million currently infected people in Germany, basically all of which would have to be silent cases.

I'm not arguing for or against Platy's numbers here but I will point out that Germany has been having a huge wave of cases in recent weeks but their testing in in the toilet and their case positivity rates have been skyrocketing. They're missing a very very large percentage of their actual cases

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm not arguing for or against Platy's numbers here but I will point out that Germany has been having a huge wave of cases in recent weeks but their testing in in the toilet and their case positivity rates have been skyrocketing. They're missing a very very large percentage of their actual cases

Totally, I mean I live here so I see it but theres still a pretty big gap between that and 5 mil lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Old Woman Island posted:

Totally, I mean I live here so I see it but theres still a pretty big gap between that and 5 mil lol

Okay it looks like Platy won't be able to respond for a while so I checked what they actually said

2 cases per 1000 per day would be 166,000 per day. I don't know where/how they got that number, seems contentious to me. From what they said they remembered it was a recently reported stat.

Platy assumed there were around 4.5 silent cases per reported case and that infections last a week on average, which seems pretty reasonable to me. 166k x 5.5 x 7 = 6.3 million active infections at any given moment.

The official reported cases in Germany are pretty much 1 per 1000 per day currently so if we plug that into the calculation that'd be 3.15 million current cases, or around 3.8% of the total population having an active infection right now.

Of course all this is based on guesswork formed around poorly researched statistics dredged out of incomplete/massaged data pulled from reluctant populations and using unreliable tests so there's absolutely no way of knowing whether we're anywhere within spitting distance of the actual real world situation. That's the real fucker out of all this: we're about to enter the fourth year of the pandemic and we still have no good way of measuring how bad the current/recent situation has actually been so we're all still guessing. :buddy: :coronatoot:

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Old Woman Island posted:

It's also really hard to infer anything about current test positivity rates since there is so little testing going on anymore, or at least any testing that is being reported. If I suspect I have COVID, I take a home test and don't go through the bother of doing a formal and reported test. I suspect that at this point people who do go through that formal process are already pretty drat sure they have COVID, which is fundamentally different from how testing was done in 2020/21. If your test positivity rate is north of 40%, it just means you aren't testing.

I prefer to watch wastewater tracking over reported tests at this point.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Serious_Cyclone posted:

If your test positivity rate is north of 40%, it just means you aren't testing.

What if it's sometimes north of 99%??

Whatcha got going on there, Vietnam?? :thunk:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I usually only lurk in this thread but I'd like to say that my absolute favorite times to read it are when it someone comes in and goes "it's not that bad guys" and the thread devolves into Eat At Olive Garden Fans versus The Gas Mask Guy From Slipknot

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

What if it's sometimes north of 99%??

Whatcha got going on there, Vietnam?? :thunk:

I would imagine that they have an atrocious testing policy, a 99% positive rate is basically indistinguishable from no testing at all

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

On a different note, how effective are tabletop HEPA filters? I have one running in my small office with a door that's semi-open (no choice, I need to have it open somewhat) in a maybe 12'x12' room that has no additional ventilation other than the door and whatever sneaks through a drop ceiling.

Can't exactly keep going into my car during winter for lunch, but at least no one really comes into my office to see me.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

All this covid posting got me doing another self test.

Still covid free for me :blessed:

Old Woman Island fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 20, 2022

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Toxic Mental posted:

I usually only lurk in this thread but I'd like to say that my absolute favorite times to read it are when it someone comes in and goes "it's not that bad guys" and the thread devolves into Eat At Olive Garden Fans versus The Gas Mask Guy From Slipknot
I’m actually the Slipknot guy with the long-spiked mask, because nothing says “do NOT hug me” quite like that.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Toxic Mental posted:

Sure you laugh at Gas Mask Guy From Slipknot now, but who's laughing now? Probably Gas Mask Guy From Slipknot. Look!

"Wilson met Kelly Osbourne at 1999's Ozzfest and quickly became very good friends. The two were confirmed to be in a romantic relationship not long after Wilson's 45th birthday in 2022. The two are currently expecting their first child together.[11][12]"

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

mojo1701a posted:

On a different note, how effective are tabletop HEPA filters? I have one running in my small office with a door that's semi-open (no choice, I need to have it open somewhat) in a maybe 12'x12' room that has no additional ventilation other than the door and whatever sneaks through a drop ceiling.

Can't exactly keep going into my car during winter for lunch, but at least no one really comes into my office to see me.

The bigger the better for air filters. The recommendation is 3-4 complete air changes per an hour, so figure out your filter's clean air delivery rate vs the volume of your office, and go from there.

So the small ones are OK, but a bigger one or a full size corsi cube is great. Nothing beats coris cubes on CADR for the price, but they look a bit janky.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

jetz0r posted:

The bigger the better for air filters. The recommendation is 3-4 complete air changes per an hour, so figure out your filter's clean air delivery rate vs the volume of your office, and go from there.

So the small ones are OK, but a bigger one or a full size corsi cube is great. Nothing beats coris cubes on CADR for the price, but they look a bit janky.

It advertises about 219 ft² in 12 min, and my office isn't nearly that big. But from what I've read, that's on its max setting which is loud and I'm keeping it on medium.

I don't like the open door, but given there's no vent in my office other than the door (that, and I've been punched in the face by various smells as soon as I stepped out before), I'm going to assume that the air circulation isn't exactly the best here as it is and running this thing for 10-12 minutes should be enough to minimize exposure if I'm otherwise usually wearing a mask.

Just realized I should buy some refills for it since it's been a few months since I've been using it.

Speaking of, what's the current information on it lingering in the air? I know it spreads through aerosols, but I can't find reliable information on how viable the virus is once an infected source is no longer there.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

mojo1701a posted:

It advertises about 219 ft² in 12 min, and my office isn't nearly that big. But from what I've read, that's on its max setting which is loud and I'm keeping it on medium.

I don't like the open door, but given there's no vent in my office other than the door (that, and I've been punched in the face by various smells as soon as I stepped out before), I'm going to assume that the air circulation isn't exactly the best here as it is and running this thing for 10-12 minutes should be enough to minimize exposure if I'm otherwise usually wearing a mask.

Just realized I should buy some refills for it since it's been a few months since I've been using it.

Speaking of, what's the current information on it lingering in the air? I know it spreads through aerosols, but I can't find reliable information on how viable the virus is once an infected source is no longer there.

Anecdotally it can linger for hours. There was an excerpt I read awhile back about nurses being infected from an empty breakroom. But as to how common that is :shrug:

Actual science:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8349476/#:~:text=It%20was%20found%20that%20aerosols,(9%20h%E2%88%921).

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Anecdotally it can linger for hours. There was an excerpt I read awhile back about nurses being infected from an empty breakroom. But as to how common that is :shrug:

Actual science:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8349476/#:~:text=It%20was%20found%20that%20aerosols,(9%20h%E2%88%921).

Thanks. Figured whatever I read about it losing 90% of its strength within 20 minutes was wrong. Seemed to good to be true, so I guess I'll have to stick with the HEPA filter for now.

Anyway, I'm feeling better today. Guess not reading pandemic news helps. I just need to reevaluate what my future plans are, given I'm not going anywhere without a mask from now on.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

2 cases per 1000 per day would be 166,000 per day. I don't know where/how they got that number, seems contentious to me. From what they said they remembered it was a recently reported stat.

This is off the top of my head but iirc this was the given numbers during Oktoberfest. You're free to check this window to see if that's consistent with 0.2%/day

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Toxic Mental posted:

probably bc the people saying “its not that bad guys” are the reason over a million people are dead

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Lmao that accurately describing reality gets you labeled a doomer.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Sure you laugh at Gas Mask Guy From Slipknot now, but who's laughing now? Probably Gas Mask Guy From Slipknot. Look!

"Wilson met Kelly Osbourne at 1999's Ozzfest and quickly became very good friends. The two were confirmed to be in a romantic relationship not long after Wilson's 45th birthday in 2022. The two are currently expecting their first child together.[11][12]"

That's very sweet and I'm happy for them :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DickParasite posted:

Lmao that accurately describing reality gets you labeled a doomer.

Remember that QCS thread complaining that twoday was posting new york times articles about BCG in the cspam thread