Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

I was watching some videos on youtube to try to find out some facts about the J-20. About the only thing I learned is that no one in the west knows poo poo about it, but there was a very funny thread in one of the comment sections of people convinced that an increase in export F-16s being produced in the last few years is due to the fact the F-16 will easily destroy the J-20 which is a half baked copy of the F-35. This feels like that western chauvinism I've been hearing about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

probably watched too many DCS youtubes

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I was watching some videos on youtube to try to find out some facts about the J-20. About the only thing I learned is that no one in the west knows poo poo about it, but there was a very funny thread in one of the comment sections of people convinced that an increase in export F-16s being produced in the last few years is due to the fact the F-16 will easily destroy the J-20 which is a half baked copy of the F-35. This feels like that western chauvinism I've been hearing about.

I think most westerners don't believe China can produce anything that isn't "cheap crap"

they build the world's fastest supercomputers, they build satellite networks, they're not limited to injection molded plastic and pot metal

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
"they only make cheap crap" says the guys who don't even have the ability to make cheap crap

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I was watching some videos on youtube to try to find out some facts about the J-20. About the only thing I learned is that no one in the west knows poo poo about it,

To be fair, the amount of aircraft the PLAAAF has in service is a bit hard to wrap your head around. It makes it hard to say, alright this is the standard fighter, standard fighter bomber, standard strike aircraft on top of often not knowing much about them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Filthy Hans posted:

I think most westerners don't believe China can produce anything that isn't "cheap crap"

they build the world's fastest supercomputers, they build satellite networks, they're not limited to injection molded plastic and pot metal

I've had people say that they would refuse to buy a China-made EV ever because "the batteries are unsafe if they're made in China"

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.heritage.org/press/heritage-foundation-releases-2023-index-us-military-strength-gives-us-military-first-ever

quote:

Heritage Foundation Releases 2023 Index of U.S. Military Strength, Gives U.S. Military First-Ever ‘Weak’ Overall Rating

As currently postured, the U.S. military is at growing risk of not being able to meet the demands of defending America’s vital national interests. It is rated as weak relative to the force needed to defend national interests on a global stage against actual challenges in the world as it is rather than as we wish it were. This is the logical consequence of years of sustained use, underfunding, poorly defined priorities, wildly shifting security policies, exceedingly poor discipline in program execution, and a profound lack of seriousness across the national security establishment even as threats to U.S. interests have surged.

:xickos:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

us military receives rating of "bitch rear end"

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

drat that's crazy

hope the guys at the heritage foundation can figure out who's been degrading american state apparatuses and creating completely insane foreign policy priorities

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I wonder if a completely eroded tax base has anything to do with it, Heritage wouldn’t have anything to do with that…

I mean if you are talking about the PLAAF overall it is a force that is comparable if not in some ways superior to the USAF.

The PLAAF has about 1000-1200 4th generation fighters, most of them SU-27 variants that are given AESA radar and new avionics. They probably have another 100-200 j-20s in service and it seems like they give extensive flight time.

It is why any type of fighter in the “first island chain” would almost certainly go for them.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 04:44 on Oct 20, 2022

Morbus
May 18, 2004

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

https://www.heritage.org/press/heritage-foundation-releases-2023-index-us-military-strength-gives-us-military-first-ever

quote:

Heritage Foundation Releases 2023 Index of U.S. Military Strength, Gives U.S. Military First-Ever ‘Weak’ Overall Rating

As currently postured, the U.S. military is at growing risk of not being able to meet the demands of defending America’s vital national interests. It is rated as weak relative to the force needed to defend national interests on a global stage against actual challenges in the world as it is rather than as we wish it were. This is the logical consequence of years of sustained use, underfunding, poorly defined priorities, wildly shifting security policies, exceedingly poor discipline in program execution, and a profound lack of seriousness across the national security establishment even as threats to U.S. interests have surged.

:xickos:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sounds like it's time to spend more money on defense.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Sounds like it's time to spend more money on defense.

Unfortunately limp-wristed peacenik American politicians prefer to spend money on domestic programs :argh:

quote:

We acknowledge that without a dramatic change in circumstances such as the onset of a major conflict, a multitude of competing interests that evolve during extended periods of peace and prosperity will cause Administrations and Congresses to favor spending on domestic programs rather than investing in defense. Extended peace leads to complacency, which can lead to distraction and less willingness to invest in defense. The result: a weakened military, competitors that are emboldened, and a nation at risk. Consequently, winning the support needed to increase defense spending to the level that a force with a two-war capacity requires is admittedly difficult politically. But this does not change the patterns of history, the behavior of competitors, or the reality of what it takes to defend America’s interests in an actual war.

It's a total mystery how to get them to care about military spending

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

You sure it's not that and the overfunding of poo poo that doesn't work?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

I wonder if a completely eroded tax base has anything to do with it, Heritage wouldn’t have anything to do with that…

I mean if you are talking about the PLAAF overall it is a force that is comparable if not in some ways superior to the USAF.

The PLAAF has about 1000-1200 4th generation fighters, most of them SU-27 variants that are given AESA radar and new avionics. They probably have another 100-200 j-20s in service and it seems like they give extensive flight time.

It is why any type of fighter in the “first island chain” would almost certainly go for them.

do you by any chance know if China destroys its foundries, tooling and such when they complete a manufacturing run, like the US has done with the F-22 and A-10?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Sounds like it's time to spend more money on defense thinktanks.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

lol at spaceforce: weak

compared to what?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Clip-On Fedora posted:

You sure it's not that and the overfunding of poo poo that doesn't work?

chuds: too many gays in there

libs: not enough gays in there

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

do you by any chance know if China destroys its foundries, tooling and such when they complete a manufacturing run, like the US has done with the F-22 and A-10?

Whoa hey, that's not true. The tooling for the F-22 is misplaced, we don't know if it's been destroyed or just sent to some contractor in China.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Oct 20, 2022

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

all the nuclear missile guys are extremely strong from all the meth theyre selling

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Canada is a sick country that really embraces all of the contradictions of liberalism. Get a load of this:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

Whoa hey, that's not true. The tooling for the F-22 is misplaced, we don't know if it's been destroyed or just sent to some contractor in China.

According to the skunk works guy's memoirhe was forced to destroy everything practically on pain of imprisonment however reliable that is

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol at spaceforce: weak

compared to what?

XCOM

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they should make the f-22 again from scratch and call it like the velociraptor and give it some sick purple and teal 90s digital camo and i will salute as it flies by with whatever arm im not using to sell plasma just to get by in the 2040s or whenever it actually delivers to the usaf

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lostconfused posted:

its beside the ark of covenant

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lmao another one

https://twitter.com/388fw/status/1582893659044708352

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the saying goes lightning doesnt strike twice but you named your fail plane the lightning 2

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

pilot: of course this is still the best plane we have ever made, as my salary doesn't depend on this statement

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've had people say that they would refuse to buy a China-made EV ever because "the batteries are unsafe if they're made in China"

I think beyond just racist stereotyping its an attiude that that is rooted in the memory of an earlier time when products from Taiwan and the Mainland were not as good as Domestic manufacturing. But we got rid of domestic manufacturing and the mainland got better at quality control but no one updated the thought process because Neoliberalism and its subjects are stuck being unable to imagine a world that is different from the span of the time from the mid-70s to the late 90s. I see it as like when people go to the store and ask if something they want is "in the back" in storage, a thig that becomes increasingly rare as the model moved towards the supply is all on the shelf and relies on just in time delivery. We're almost incapable of understanding just how capitalism has ripped the society we knew apart.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

everything from china now is the best you can get but sometimes the manual has a funny phrase in it

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KomradeX posted:

I think beyond just racist stereotyping its an attiude that that is rooted in the memory of an earlier time when products from Taiwan and the Mainland were not as good as Domestic manufacturing. But we got rid of domestic manufacturing and the mainland got better at quality control but no one updated the thought process because Neoliberalism and its subjects are stuck being unable to imagine a world that is different from the span of the time from the mid-70s to the late 90s. I see it as like when people go to the store and ask if something they want is "in the back" in storage, a thig that becomes increasingly rare as the model moved towards the supply is all on the shelf and relies on just in time delivery. We're almost incapable of understanding just how capitalism has ripped the society we knew apart.

my favorite anecdote is a canadian industrial engineer purposely hunting down a local cardboard box manufacturer only to find out they made it worse while costing 5x more than the chinese suppliers

weird how those trillions spent into chinese infrastructure contributed to the tens of trillions of made-in-china things being very cheap, i wonder why

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Palladium posted:

my favorite anecdote is a canadian industrial engineer purposely hunting down a local cardboard box manufacturer only to find out they made it worse while costing 5x more than the chinese suppliers

weird how those trillions spent into chinese infrastructure contributed to the tens of trillions of made-in-china things being very cheap, i wonder why

And than the only solution offered is break the unions so that we can make a worse product but cheaper or on par.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Real hurthling! posted:

everything from china now is the best you can get but sometimes the manual has a funny phrase in it

I bought a $2.50 flashlight with an integrated li-ion battery, zoom and usb charging shipped from china and it...works very well?

but obviously this plastic body is worst thing ever instead of cast + CNC aluminum which china can't make...right?
/s

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
this is the fallacy, made in china products in the Us and other places are often cheaply made because the purchaser specified to the Chinese manufacturer that they need so and so million widgets at this price, meet it or we will find another manufacturer who will. You then end up with a lovely product. Chinese manufacturers are perfectly capable of producing high quality products, just loom at the items sold under their own brand names, DJI, Hisense, Nio, BYD etc.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

GlassEye-Boy posted:

this is the fallacy, made in china products in the Us and other places are often cheaply made because the purchaser specified to the Chinese manufacturer that they need so and so million widgets at this price, meet it or we will find another manufacturer who will. You then end up with a lovely product. Chinese manufacturers are perfectly capable of producing high quality products, just loom at the items sold under their own brand names, DJI, Hisense, Nio, BYD etc.

China makes some of the fastest supercomputers in the world, they run their own satellite networks, they can manufacture just about anything to a high standard, like you said no one in America is paying for that though

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

there is plenty of cheap low quality poo poo made in china, of course there is, but that is not the entirety of chinese manufacturing and the idea that all they make is like cheap toys for dogs or children is like 30 years out of date. they definitely still do make easily breakable childrens toys though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KomradeX posted:

And than the only solution offered is break the unions so that we can make a worse product but cheaper or on par.

the japanese in the 80s identified the #1 contributor to the decline of american manufacturing is healthcare costs and im sure this has been addressed along with the other very minor problems like crumbling infrastructure and education

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Palladium posted:

the japanese in the 80s identified the #1 contributor to the decline of american manufacturing is healthcare costs and im sure this has been addressed along with the other very minor problems like crumbling infrastructure and education

Its awesome how deeply committed our ruling class is to immeseriating everyone that isn't a pedophile billionaire