Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

fart simpson posted:

at the end he's asked "you can be any person for 1 day, living or dead. who do you pick?" and hikaru gives the worst answer ive ever heard to that type of question: "i'd be elon, when the rockets were blowing up"

lmfao. Thats a good choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I've gotten through about half the Naka podcast so far (didn't get to the Elon comment yet, lmao), and a big thing that stuck out to me was when he discussed how chess didn't come naturally to him. To paraphrase: when Naka was very young, his parents and others thought his younger brother was more naturally talented than him at chess, and after playing for a while, they basically asked Naka to step away from chess for 6 months so they can focus their efforts on the more promising little brother.

That was just such a big "OOOoooooohhhhhhhh" moment of understanding.

Like with most of Lex's interviews, I'm coming away with a much better understanding and level of empathy for the guest.

I agree the Magnus interview was very interesting as well, but I didn't take his comments about slacking on study to mean that he's just that much of a natural. I took it more like he's just completely and overwhelmingly obsessed with the game that periods where he isn't thinking about the game are more remarkable. He mentioned that he reads chess books constantly and when not reading, he's thinking about positions from books and games and calculating variations in his mind. So he's essentially spawning imaginary games against himself from other interesting ones.

In conclusion: Magnus in some respect self-trains like AlphaGo.

:goofy:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

tanglewood1420 posted:

It's kinda crazy that every single piece of advice anyone will give you to improve your chess - tactical exercises, opening prep, endgame practice, puzzles etc - the best chess player ever is like "nah, I'm good I'll just think about chess subconsciously whilst I play tennis with my buddy all afternoon".

It's not like he hasn't studied all of that stuff in the past though, he regularly recalls old historical games published from books and things like that.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
welp

https://mobile.twitter.com/ollie/status/1583154134504525824

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:sickos:

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
One Hundred Million Dollars! Love it. Not a lawyer but I assume this has basically no chance of going anywhere though since he is a confessed chester and this is the US where the bar for this is high.
Edit: are legal complaints usually this purple prose wise? "When tournament officials refused to comply with Carlsen’s corrupt and cowardly demand to baselessly eliminate Niemann from competition, Carlsen lashed out again, this time by boycotting the remainder of the Sinquefield Cup in protest—an unprecedented act for a top chess professional, let alone the reigning World Champion." Doesn't seem very legal sounding to me.

neaden fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 20, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
He's not suing Sam for theft, regicide and intimidation?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

neaden posted:

One Hundred Million Dollars! Love it. Not a lawyer but I assume this has basically no chance of going anywhere though since he is a confessed chester and this is the US where the bar for this is high.
Edit: are legal complaints usually this purple prose wise? "When tournament officials refused to comply with Carlsen’s corrupt and cowardly demand to baselessly eliminate Niemann from competition, Carlsen lashed out again, this time by boycotting the remainder of the Sinquefield Cup in protest—an unprecedented act for a top chess professional, let alone the reigning World Champion." Doesn't seem very legal sounding to me.

Lmao, that sounds like it was written by an angsty 14-year-old.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

neaden posted:

Im afraid that sounds extremely like legalese in america

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I hope Hans wins against chess.com

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol brilliant, can't wait to see where this goes

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Just ran down the street high fiving everyone whom I passed.

e: Daniel Rensch A/K/A "Danny" Rensch

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Over the years, Play Magnus has grown into one of the two largest online chess companies in the world, second only to the multi-billion-dollar behemoth Chess.com, LLC (“Chess.com”). In August 2022, Chess.com agreed to acquire Play Magnus for nearly $83 million and merge the two companies in order to monopolize the chess world.Carlsen, having solidified his position as the “King of Chess,” believes that when it comes to chess, he can do whatever he wants and get away with it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Days later, Carlsen was scheduled to play Niemann again in the Julius Baer Generation Cup. Rather than seek to redeem himself from his unexpected loss to Niemann, Carlsen, the “King of Chess,” gutlessly forfeited the game after making one move, and then issued a press release repeating his false accusations that Niemann had cheated against him at the Sinquefield Cup.

11. Carlsen’s unprecedented actions, coupled with his unfounded accusations, sent shock waves through the chess world and instantly thrust Niemann into the center of what is now widely reported as the single biggest chess scandal in history.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Control Volume posted:

Im afraid that sounds extremely like legalese in america

It's bog standard plaintiff-side purple prose. This is not legalese, but it is also not unusual.

I'm a jaded corporate defense attorney, so I'm incredibly biased here, but you see this type of language in basically every single complaint. Usually its a substitute for actual factual allegations - distracting from the fact that you have nothing by saying a lot of forceful things.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 20, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
77. Unnerved by Niemann’s unexpected confidence and early strategic advantage, Carlsen made numerous mistakes upon which Niemann capitalized to secure a tremendous victory over Carlsen, which, by all accounts, should have propelled Niemann’s career to the next level and allowed him to continue realizing his enormous potential as the next great American chess player.

78. Unbeknownst to Niemann at the time, Defendants would do whatever it took ensure that this would never happen.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i hope the case is a big circus instead of being quietly settled

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

vyelkin posted:

77. Unnerved by Niemann’s unexpected confidence and early strategic advantage, Carlsen made numerous mistakes upon which Niemann capitalized to secure a tremendous victory over Carlsen, which, by all accounts, should have propelled Niemann’s career to the next level and allowed him to continue realizing his enormous potential as the next great American chess player.

78. Unbeknownst to Niemann at the time, Defendants would do whatever it took ensure that this would never happen.

Now you're just ripping text from Harlequins and changing the names.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I hope it somehow turns into Hans's lawyer playing a chess match against Magnus's lawyer in court

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Chamale posted:

I hope it somehow turns into Hans's lawyer playing a chess match against Magnus's lawyer in court

[Southern Fried judge voice] This mechanical turkey of a lawsuit.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
These are more trumped-up, false allegations, specifically designed to further defame Niemann by accusing him of not only being a serial online cheater, but now also a liar.

106. In fact, the very first public comment to this tweet was “Ha! Hans is a liar!”

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Your Honor if it would please the court, I would humbly request to play a game of chess against this here carpetbagger lawyer!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
your honour, people were mean about my client on twitter, i demand one hundred million dollars

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Filing frivolous lawsuits is quite on-brand for a serial cheater.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I hope there'll be a biopic about Hans where he's this 5head "want to see the world burn" nihilist, one of the Botez can be his Poison Ivy.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

vyelkin posted:

These are more trumped-up, false allegations, specifically designed to further defame Niemann by accusing him of not only being a serial online cheater, but now also a liar.

106. In fact, the very first public comment to this tweet was “Ha! Hans is a liar!”

Isn't he demonstrably a proven liar?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

busalover posted:

I hope there'll be a biopic about Hans where he's this 5head "want to see the world burn" nihilist, one of the Botez can be his Poison Ivy.

The Jester's Gambit

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Chamale posted:

The Jester's Gambit

The Losin' Defence

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Also it’s a desperation suit cause Hans’ chess career is effectively destroyed.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
lol
So this means no one has any excuse to hide their poo poo anymore, right? Thus far whenever someone equivocates it's under the guise of "can't say anything straightforward for legal reasons". Well, legal reasons just happened.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
My favorite part of the complaint is that it paints Hikaru as a lackey who is on Carlsen's payroll. Hikaru going to love that.

14. Nonetheless, following Carlsen’s baseless and retaliatory accusations, Carlsen
unleashed his media empire to fan the flames of Carlsen’s cheating accusations, drown out the
legitimate evidence refuting them, blacklist Niemann from top-level chess tournaments, and
protect, at any cost, his eponymous Play Magnus brand and status as “King of Chess.” Almost
immediately thereafter:

(b) Defendant Hikaru Nakamura (“Nakamura”)—Chess.com’s most
influential streaming partner—acting in collusion with Carlsen and
Chess.com, published hours of video content amplifying and
attempting to bolster Carlsen’s false cheating allegations against
Niemann with numerous additional defamatory statements;

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Redmark posted:

lol
So this means no one has any excuse to hide their poo poo anymore, right? Thus far whenever someone equivocates it's under the guise of "can't say anything straightforward for legal reasons". Well, legal reasons just happened.

Not really, no. You could make your own case weaker by saying something that gets put right into an amended complaint.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Missed that he posted the lawsuit with what I guess he's trying to make his catchphrase, which is pretty close to the worst possible set of words he could have chosen:

https://twitter.com/HansMokeNiemann/status/1583164606029365248?s=20&t=FpBN3zlL-40fHwVj61fmVA

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

Isn't he demonstrably a proven liar?

only if you believe "multi-billion-dollar behemoth Chess.com, LLC" who this lawsuit alleges have intentionally defamed Niemann to destroy his career because him humiliating gutless loser Magnus Carlsen threatened their devious scheme to monopolize the world of chess by purchasing his company Play Magnus

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

vyelkin posted:

only if you believe "multi-billion-dollar behemoth Chess.com, LLC" who this lawsuit alleges have intentionally defamed Niemann to destroy his career because him humiliating gutless loser Magnus Carlsen threatened their devious scheme to monopolize the world of chess by purchasing his company Play Magnus

The problem here is that Niemann made the mistake of admitting to his stuff to Chess.com, in writing.

Hand Knit posted:

Missed that he posted the lawsuit with what I guess he's trying to make his catchphrase, which is pretty close to the worst possible set of words he could have chosen:

https://twitter.com/HansMokeNiemann/status/1583164606029365248?s=20&t=FpBN3zlL-40fHwVj61fmVA

Oh my god the guy needs help

TheRat fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 20, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao

https://twitter.com/TdskSarath/status/1583169510269677568

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Hand Knit posted:

Is this the real or fake Hans Twitter?

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hans heard people saying Magnus handled the situation in the dumbest way possible, and he took that as a challenge.