Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I feel like I'm missing something with the Heroic launcher for Epic and GOG stores. Heroic is version 2.4.3. I'm logged in to both stores.

The GOG games show up just fine for download.

But I don't have an option to download any Epic games. It just wants me to download the Epic launcher too - bit obviously clicking that inside the Heroic launcher doesn't do anything. When I look at websites explaining it, the games show up as available to download like normal to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I was going to use Gamestream/Moonlight/Steamlink for Lost Ark / Destiny 2 since it's apparent they will never be on the Deck without running windows.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Kullik posted:

Uh I complained to valve about my delivery taking too long and they are sending me a second deck, either they know something I don't and the first one they sent is gone. Or they are idiots. I really hope I end up with 2 that would be hilarious.

Um steam deck the first has arrived, no update on the second one valve said they would send but if they do I'm gonna be so fuckin happy and so is my boyfriend lmao

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Daaaamn, good fortune. My wife took a spin with Luigi's Mansion, Hades, and Potionomics on mine and I tell you what an extra Deck would go over pretty well right now.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

can someone tell me how to do this

"Create the file /etc/drirc or $HOME/.drirc with the following:"
"Execute the script with ~/.drirc. "

here under ubuntu - red screen
https://help.shadow.tech/hc/en-gb/articles/360011233839-Known-Issues-for-the-Official-Version-of-Shadow

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Kullik posted:

Um steam deck the first has arrived, no update on the second one valve said they would send but if they do I'm gonna be so fuckin happy and so is my boyfriend lmao

You'll get both.

I'll let you know if I'm asked to send back the second...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mescal posted:

can someone tell me how to do this

"Create the file /etc/drirc or $HOME/.drirc with the following:"
"Execute the script with ~/.drirc. "

here under ubuntu - red screen
https://help.shadow.tech/hc/en-gb/articles/360011233839-Known-Issues-for-the-Official-Version-of-Shadow

cd /etc (or cd $HOME)
touch drirc
vim drirc
i
*paste whatever inside*
:wq
./drirc

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

loquacius posted:

cd /etc
touch drirc
vim drirc
i
*paste whatever inside*
:wq
./drirc

Or an easier way than using vim

cd /etc/
cat > drirc

<paste here>
<press return and then ctrl-c>

chmod +x drirc
./drirc

Though I don't understand what exactly it's executing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh yeah you might have to chmod it too, that's just a permissions thing

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

drirc isn't a script.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

drirc isn't a script.

It certainly doesn't look like one, but the instructions say to execute it and I'm buggered if I'm going to research if there's any reason why

edit: to be fair, the full instructions here:

quote:

Execute the script with ~/.drirc. Restart your computer after executing the script.

are "what?" followed by "lol, what?" when it comes to linux, so... yeah. Willing to bet you don't need to do any of that.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The instructions are wrong.

drirc is a config file that Mesa uses to add per-application compatibility or performance tweaks, it isn't an executable script.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

was there already supposed to be a file called drirc in /etc? i created one and it didn't overwrite anything

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You can also just use a text editor like a normal person (Kate for example) and save to ~/.drirc

And flog anyone who tell you to make that file executable.

And iirc it follows the syntax of the previous drirc file, like this https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/blob/main/src/util/00-mesa-defaults.conf which nowadays should live under /usr/share/drirc.d/ instead of /etc (but I don't know how valve packages mesa)

e:

openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/drirc.d", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_CLOEXEC|O_DIRECTORY) = 6
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/drirc.d/00-mesa-defaults.conf", O_RDONLY) = 6
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/drirc.d/00-radv-defaults.conf", O_RDONLY) = 6
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/etc/drirc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/ag/.drirc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

That's the order mesa checks for files.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 20, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Kullik posted:

did they say anything about liike what to do if you got two?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

tater_salad posted:

The FTC considers that a gift and he’ll, you should too.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

tater_salad posted:

Nope, but I'll put a sticker on my one to tell em apart :D

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

I have a very specific question but maybe someone can help.

I got my controls set up all nice for No Man’s Sky with good gyro. However, I can’t find how to edit the controls for “create mode” (when you build terrain). Whenever I switch to that mode the controls/gyro goes back to setting I need to change.

Anyone know how to edit those create mode controls specifically? It’s not in the list of sections in the controller options.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Invalid Validation posted:

If I was wanting to emulate windwaker, what version should I do? GameCube or Wii U?
Personally I'd probably do the GC version as I have Dolphin all setup and my discs/saves dumped a long time ago. I'm sure the WW HD version is probably superior for a bunch of reasons, but I feel a little weird about emulating consoles that I never owned (not like a "moral" thing, just total unfamiliarity with the actual hardware).

If you were to do the GC version there's a wiki page that suggests some game-specific enhancements. But even without HD texture packs I find that Dolphin can do a good job making GC/Wii games look great just by rendering them at a higher resolution. Keep in mind that Dolphin is CPU-heavy for GC/Wii (moreso the latter) but there's considerable room to enable GPU enhancements. I tend to use 2x native resolution, 4x MSAA anti-aliasing, and 4x antisotrophic filtering.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

You can also just use a text editor like a normal person (Kate for example) and save to ~/.drirc

And flog anyone who tell you to make that file executable.

And iirc it follows the syntax of the previous drirc file, like this https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/blob/main/src/util/00-mesa-defaults.conf which nowadays should live under /usr/share/drirc.d/ instead of /etc (but I don't know how valve packages mesa)

e:

openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/drirc.d", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_CLOEXEC|O_DIRECTORY) = 6
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/drirc.d/00-mesa-defaults.conf", O_RDONLY) = 6
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/drirc.d/00-radv-defaults.conf", O_RDONLY) = 6
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/etc/drirc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/ag/.drirc", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

That's the order mesa checks for files.

the name of the file is .drirc? with a dot? and its a text file with no file extension, and i create it in etc and it just sits there and i try to boot the program?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yes it starts with a "."

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The /etc/ version is just drirc, the version you put in your home directory is .drirc because that dot at the beginning hides it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was answering the question as written, not my fault the guide was wrong :colbert:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Consummate Professional posted:

The FTC considers that a gift and he’ll, you should too.

I assume you're referring to the rules around "unordered merchandise" (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/39/3009) but I'm not 100% sure that applies here, since unordered merchandise is defined as "merchandise mailed without the prior expressed request or consent of the recipient" and the goon in question straight up requested that they ship out the second one. I'm not a lawyer, though, so I'd be interested to hear the interpretations of any lawyers who might be reading.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Pham Nuwen posted:

I assume you're referring to the rules around "unordered merchandise" (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/39/3009) but I'm not 100% sure that applies here, since unordered merchandise is defined as "merchandise mailed without the prior expressed request or consent of the recipient" and the goon in question straight up requested that they ship out the second one. I'm not a lawyer, though, so I'd be interested to hear the interpretations of any lawyers who might be reading.

https://gyazo.com/bdd8604422f19cd354dbeab03a30fee3

idk if that counts as asking for it???

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Maybe ask in the NMS thread you'll have more players that may have found a way to change those controls

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mescal posted:

the name of the file is .drirc? with a dot? and its a text file with no file extension, and i create it in etc and it just sits there and i try to boot the program?
Linux poo poo: ~ at the beginning of the path is a shortcut for your home directory, and a file that starts with a dot is hidden by default in most programs. File extensions aren't really a rigorously applied concept in Linux, either

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Mescal posted:

Not in /etc/ you don't.

Alright, so, quick primer on a really common pattern for configuration:

The program (mesa in this case) looks for configuration files in several locations, applying each on top of each other.

First it looks at upstream-supplied files (all files in /usr/share/drirc.d/ in this case) and applies them in lexical order.
Second, it looks at configuration files modified by the administrator of the system in /etc/drirc
Last, it looks for a configuration file in your home (~/.drirc).

They are all just text files (file extensions are pretty pointless in the linux ecosystem and are frequently either ignored or have purely informational value).

This approach is very common for a lot of software and allows you to override the default configuration in exciting ways without touching the system (both /etc and /usr/share are not writable for normal users for a reason).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Seymour Buttz posted:

I have a very specific question but maybe someone can help.

I got my controls set up all nice for No Man’s Sky with good gyro. However, I can’t find how to edit the controls for “create mode” (when you build terrain). Whenever I switch to that mode the controls/gyro goes back to setting I need to change.

Anyone know how to edit those create mode controls specifically? It’s not in the list of sections in the controller options.

I've messed around considerably with the controls on various games, NMS included, though I rarely bother with terrain creation. I'll have to check it tonight to see what I can see, but I'm surprised that that would even be considered a separate mode in the game. Build mode, menus, flight mode, I understand, but with create, you're still using your terrain manipulator. Very weird.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

If you have an Nvidia card, then using Nvidia's Gamestream can be even better than the Steam Link. No detectable input lag and less finicky than Steam Link.

I took a swing at this and the immediate problem seems to be you lose a lot of the keybindings from the community. Which is a real bummer!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Folks, "rc" is the file extension. It's just not DOS 8.3 format or whatever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Playing some Gunvalkyrie (a game I love and no-one else does) and I long for the day when Xemu can render a character using a boost move without dropping to single digit FPS.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've messed around considerably with the controls on various games, NMS included, though I rarely bother with terrain creation. I'll have to check it tonight to see what I can see, but I'm surprised that that would even be considered a separate mode in the game. Build mode, menus, flight mode, I understand, but with create, you're still using your terrain manipulator. Very weird.

My thoughts exactly, it might be a bug or something because there’s no reason it would have a different control scheme.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Folks, "rc" is the file extension. It's just not DOS 8.3 format or whatever.
Kind of but its not really a useful observation beyond being The Name of The File. It doesn't really imply anything about the contents other than its, some kind of configuration file, and most configuration files don't end in rc. Used to imply that it was executable because its a reference to a long forgotten shell from the 60s, and thats true of something like bashrc or quake.rc but drirc is a xml file so that's not a meaningful thing to notice. Unlike the handful of file extensions that are actually rigorously used on Linux and are actionable like .gz or whatever.

All a file ending in rc tells you is, whoever designed the program its for is an old school Unix nerd.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

drirc is a funny name anyway because that's not really used for strictly DRI configuration either. :v:

That's why upstream moved to the more descriptive .conf files, but the files in /etc and $HOME are kept for compatibility. And the convention is really old, hence the "rc" suffix.

Anyway, if you want to override certain defaults for a specific executable, use the ~/.drirc file, or apply the hack via an environment variable. Or don't, you're loving with some deep magic and I question what lead you to this point.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Anyone asking how to create a file has probably checked out at this point I think

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Does it work if you open a terminal (Konsole) and run this command?
code:
systemctl --user restart xdg-desktop-portal
I noticed last week when working on the Humble Games Collection that Firefox won't open links to elsewhere without xdg-desktop-portal-kde running, and that's currently broken on Deck (it works if xdg-desktop-portal is (re)started in Desktop mode but not when it's started in Game mode, which is what happens on boot).

If it does, you could add a .desktop file to ~/.config/autostart that calls that command, but Valve should really fix it.

I'm currently using one of the workarounds from that GitHub issue thread I linked above, so far so good. It does seem like your suggestion is in the same area so that might work as well.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm trying to use SyncThing to share emulator saves between my Deck and my PC, but I'm having trouble, because Retroarch saves are saved within Retroarch's own folder in /home/.var/app, and SyncThing can only see its OWN app folder. The folder permissions seem to be based around which USERS are allowed to see the folder, not which APPS. How do I either allow SyncThing to see Retroarch's app folder and/or tell Retroarch to put its save files somewhere more readily accessible?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

or am I just stuck using non-Retroarch emulators for any game I wanna play on two devices because I really would rather just use only one emulation app and that's like half the appeal of emudeck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

loquacius posted:

I'm trying to use SyncThing to share emulator saves between my Deck and my PC, but I'm having trouble, because Retroarch saves are saved within Retroarch's own folder in /home/.var/app, and SyncThing can only see its OWN app folder. The folder permissions seem to be based around which USERS are allowed to see the folder, not which APPS. How do I either allow SyncThing to see Retroarch's app folder and/or tell Retroarch to put its save files somewhere more readily accessible?
Haven't tried this but probably get flatseal from the app store, it can manage what directories flatpak apps are allowed to access.