Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Actually it's because they disliked that the power went to people with titles instead of just a poo poo ton of land and slaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Torrannor posted:

The UK government is in absolute shambles, and the Brits could conceivably see a third Prime Minister in the span of just a year.

It'd be pretty sweet if they could get that count up to 4. All decaying empires should have a year of 4 emperors.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's official, Truss has announced her resignation.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Lettuce celebrate.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Since fascism can’t fail but only he failed I expect that the next muppet to take over just doubles down.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

e: wrong thread

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 20, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Murgos posted:

Since fascism can’t fail but only he failed I expect that the next muppet to take over just doubles down.

Liz Truss isn't a fascist, she's a warmed-over Reaganite (Tories have a weird obsession with US presidents) who couldn't even sell supply-side economics to The City.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 20, 2022

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost
Yeah, she was not a fascist, just a twit - enough of a twit that she could not sell tax cuts for billionaires to billionaires.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

A_Bluenoser posted:

Yeah, she was not a fascist, just a twit - enough of a twit that she could not sell tax cuts for billionaires to billionaires.

"I'm a fighter, not a quitter."

RIP, Liz Truss. Survived by a curiously cheerful lettuce.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Murgos posted:

Can't wait for Alan Moore to sue whoever tries to trademark the Norsefire Party.

"Okay, normally I wouldn't give a gently caress, but...no. Absolutely not." :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/myroslavapetsa/status/1583155790470184961?s=20&t=xyN4Ce-f4Nud33TfYqPTrg

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

So Zelenskyy confirms destruction of the dam would destroy Crimea's water supply. I hope this was just Putin covering his bases by giving himself the option, but depending on where the frontline in Kherson is right now, his window for blowing the dam is probably closing rapidly. And if he does, he's saying he's willing to give up Crimea to burn Ukraine, which is... something...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus Christ

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Gaius Marius posted:

Jesus Christ

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's the playbook Putin knows and has followed for decades. Always escalate to bigger and worse poo poo until you get what you want.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That’s some James Bond villain poo poo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

That’s some James Bond villain poo poo.

It definitely sounds like the plot of a Roger Moore era movie.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When was the last time a country started blowing their own dams to stop an advance, The Japanese Invasion of China?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I see Russia is listening to their military advisors from Ünterland.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

I see Russia is listening to their military advisors from Ünterland.

Please, they’re from Ünterwasser if anything.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gaius Marius posted:

When was the last time a country started blowing their own dams to stop an advance, The Japanese Invasion of China?

WW2 Netherlands?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Ukraine in February?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gaius Marius posted:

may seem trivial but not their own dams in this instance

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Meant to put quotes around that

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

This is terrible but not as bad as my first thought on why they were evacuating Kherson, I honestly thought that's where the nuke would go off.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Burt posted:

This is terrible but not as bad as my first thought on why they were evacuating Kherson, I honestly thought that's where the nuke would go off.

Could still be similarly bad, they're evacuating everyone through the floodplains downstream from the dam. Even if Russia's plan isn't to kill a bunch of evacuees, it might still happen if they blow it in a panic before everyone is out of the way.

Either way if Russia does this, they need to be cut off from every access point to the global economy and designated as a terrorist state at minimum.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

If the dam does get blown, think they’ll blame Ukraine?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Quackles posted:

Pope pointy hat, bears woods etc.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Quackles posted:

Russia is literally blaming Ukraine in advance:

https://twitter.com/PaulaChertok/status/1583178027155877888?s=20&t=-8LHgBxGEKxuqnDKQL2O0w

Predictive projection! I think English fails to properly convey just how self-absorbed and dishonest Russia is being with.... everything.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

It's the playbook Putin knows and has followed for decades. Always escalate to bigger and worse poo poo until you get what you want.

It's not Putin's playbook, it's a classic Russo-Soviet "strategy" - "escalate to deescalate."

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Posting through it irl

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's not Putin's playbook, it's a classic Russo-Soviet "strategy" - "escalate to deescalate."

This is a mistranslation and since I've had it pointed out to me I have to correct it when I see it. Russian strategy is "escalate to terminate". The objective is not deescalation, the objective is to assert escalation dominance at every point in a crisis/conflict to win.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

psydude posted:

Liz Truss isn't a fascist, she's a warmed-over Reaganite (Tories have a weird obsession with US presidents) who couldn't even sell supply-side economics to The City.

I mean, you’re just describing early stage fascism. Reagan’s policies were, in hindsight, entirely about boosting the government to private industry cash pipeline (privatization and defunding social programs aka ketchup counts as a vegetable) while significantly boosting the militarization of the police and the vilification of minorities (‘war on drugs’, ‘crack epidemic’ and ‘welfare queen’ hyperbole). Not to mention good old ultra nationalism.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Burt posted:

It’s the effect of using multiple nukes without the, uh, fallout.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
As the saying goes, it's not true until the Russians deny it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MacWBishop/status/1583112991947784192?s=20&t=xyN4Ce-f4Nud33TfYqPTrg

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1583233185688666112?t=UVfP5GaT9EMAzJtQbDNWIQ&s=19

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I didn’t know the Essentialists had made such strides in the Federation.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NGrossman81/status/1583234851008040960?t=8-POuFC6euXou7kDRtSoNw&s=19

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

literally loled