Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

I roast a chicken almost every week in the fall and winter. I still don't own a roasting pan. I have a vertical roaster for like $12 and it makes the most incredible chicken with 180° of flawless crackling skin.

ahhh that sounds good. Recipe/temp/time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Huh. I never thought about roasting in my enameled dutch oven before...mine is oval too which might be perfect for chicken.

I'm nervous about putting it in a 450F oven. It doesn't have any plastic, it's old, but I'm still nervous.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FaradayCage posted:

Huh. I never thought about roasting in my enameled dutch oven before...mine is oval too which might be perfect for chicken.

I'm nervous about putting it in a 450F oven. It doesn't have any plastic, it's old, but I'm still nervous.

I don't think I often roast at 450 unless you're doing a reverse sear and immediately turning it down?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

kalel posted:

ahhh that sounds good. Recipe/temp/time?

Roaster (Amazon also has it but for $20)

Dry the bird, cut off the cloaca flaps, tuck the wings back into triangles. I also cut the thighs halfway away from the body to make sure juices don't pool in the skin there. Season with whatever you like, just seasonings, no butter. Don't bother putting liquid in the container on the bottom, it's for collecting juices. If you put the drumsticks in the bottom or ideally on the crosspieces, it does a great job of it.

Put the bird on the roaster, put the whole thing on a sheet pan. Try to remember to remove the top rack from your oven before it's hot (I always forget).

Bouchon chicken at 450°. I use a regular big Perdue roaster and it usually takes maybe 1:15-1:30? You just have to leave it on until it gets up to temp, it's that simple. If you throw salted russet potatoes right on the rack at the same time, they'll be perfect too.

Carve while it's still upright on the roaster and plate the pieces skin-up so the skin stays perfectly crispy the whole time.

Typing literally takes more effort than doing it, but it's incredibly good. We usually eat the dark meat the first night and then I do the breast meat for work lunches (diced with brown rice and spinach)

e: if you don't make gravy with the drippings, this time of year, you can use them to make the world's best roasted pumpkin/squash seeds

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 15, 2022

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I don't think I often roast at 450 unless you're doing a reverse sear and immediately turning it down?

There's this method that's worked pretty well for me.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

I roast a chicken almost every week in the fall and winter. I still don't own a roasting pan. I have a vertical roaster for like $12 and it makes the most incredible chicken with 180° of flawless crackling skin. Pork roasts and prime rib roasts just go on a rack on a regular sheet pan.

I think the only thing I'd use a roasting pan for is a turkey. And you can always spatchcock or part that out

I get tempted to buy a roaster every thanksgiving before remembering that I always spatchcock my turkey, smoke my turkey, or just sous vide a turkey breast.

+1 on weekly chicken roaster who just uses a cast iron pan or dutch oven.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have a roasting pan and I never use it. Every single time, disposable aluminum pans have just been a better alternative when I’ve thought to use a roaster.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I roast chickens with reasonable frequency and make Thanksgiving dinner every year, and I don't own a roasting pan. I do, however, own a vintage Westinghouse roaster "oven" like this:

Nesco and others still make similar ones new, but my ~60 year old one shows no signs of slowing down. That's definitely something that's worth having if you have the space. Makes a nice convenient (and portable) second oven/food warmer. But obviously it's an appliance rather than a pan...apples and oranges.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

That and the earlier rice cooker conversation has me eyeballing the zojirushi fish roaster. Has anyone played with one?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I can't imagine buying a $175 dedicated fish roaster, although I will admit that it's a little bit intriguing

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Thanks. Unfortunately these are literally all plastic.

Took about thirty minutes of digging through my bookmarks, but here you go: https://en.bentoandco.com/collections/wooden-boxes

Note that the Magewappa are specifically not lacquered.

Though their selection is worse than last time I looked, and at the size you're looking for you're probably going to have a tough time.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 15, 2022

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

mystes posted:

I can't imagine buying a $175 dedicated fish roaster, although I will admit that it's a little bit intriguing

We’re in a situation where we eat rice multiple times a day most days of the week, so just further shaping our diet around zojirushi products/Japanese home cooking has been something I’ve been contemplating for a while.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you're already eating fish every day then I guess it might make sense but otherwise wouldn't it be easier to just use your oven's broiler or something?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

JoshGuitar posted:

I roast chickens with reasonable frequency and make Thanksgiving dinner every year, and I don't own a roasting pan. I do, however, own a vintage Westinghouse roaster "oven" like this:

Nesco and others still make similar ones new, but my ~60 year old one shows no signs of slowing down. That's definitely something that's worth having if you have the space. Makes a nice convenient (and portable) second oven/food warmer. But obviously it's an appliance rather than a pan...apples and oranges.
The downside is the skin is soggy, right, like cooking it in a plastic bag?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If you’re roasting fish it’d be cool to buy one of those stoves where one of the drawers is literally just for roasting fish. That it comes standard with pretty much every Japanese stovetop always astounded me.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

The downside is the skin is soggy, right, like cooking it in a plastic bag?

I should clarify that I've never roasted a bird of any type in that. It was really just a tangent triggered by the word "roaster".

It gets used every year for stuffing on Thanksgiving, and I've done stuff like bringing it to the office (and popping some circuit breakers :v:) to bake a Shepherd's pie for a St. Patrick's Day potluck. And it works drat fine for some corned beef and cabbage made with a whole brisket. There ARE some people who swear it makes the best turkey, but IMO it's great for anything baked that won't suffer from a little extra steam - as well as also functioning as a giant slow cooker or whatever.

JoshGuitar fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 16, 2022

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

mystes posted:

If you're already eating fish every day then I guess it might make sense but otherwise wouldn't it be easier to just use your oven's broiler or something?

Maybe it’s just a lack of practice, or being spoiled by commercial equipment, but I’ve never been enthusiastic about using the broiler in any gas oven I’ve had in a home or apartment.

I’m mainly thinking this thing will enable lazy morning fish making for breakfast/packing lunches. In the warmer parts of the year I typically step outside and use the propane grill for this purpose.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

JoshGuitar posted:

a Shepherd's lie

What's this, tofu lamb?

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

What's this, tofu lamb?

D'oh! drat phone posting...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/historyinmemes/status/1571852630753787906?s=46&t=RGSx3R5mk5CxgOiDnF7OiQ

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7152539934396566790

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
[Alton Brown's speech about unitask tools]

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

That speech deprived me the joys of a garlic press for years.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't personally like garlic presses very much but I have a ceramic ginger grater thing that I also use for garlic that's pretty much equally single purpose

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Kitchen gadgets that do one thing really well bring me so much joy. I just wish I had more space to stash them all

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I dislike garlic presses but I was finally sold on how fast a Slap Chop thing will wreck garlic (if basically nothing else). (but not so sold that I have one.)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I don't use my garlic press often, but it's great for the times when I need to go through a whole head of garlic or more. That + 2 metal bowls = lots of freshly crushed garlic.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
oh... my brother who does not cook just taught me something I did not know: put cloves of garlic in a closed vessel like a plastic pitcher and shake violently. they'll skin themselves, more or less.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It works but it’s not faster than just whacking cloves with your knife.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Chemmy posted:

It works but it’s not faster than just whacking cloves with your knife.

It depends on how much you're doing, and what you need the cloves for.

Whacking with your knife usually breaks the clove apart - if you need whole cloves, it isn't as useful.

The closed container (or 2 metal bowls like I mentioned) is also superior if you're doing a lot of garlic for some reason. There have been times when I need a couple heads' worth of garlic skinned, and it's noticeably faster to do it that way than with a knife.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I generally find it easier to just whack it with a knife too

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Smacking garlic is fun. So is pinch and twist, my favorite method - it's about as fast and much cleaner.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I lay my knife on a clove and lean on it until it gets as smooshed as I want it to be. Easy to stop wherever.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Same, no need to whack when you can just do a controlled smush

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
that’s fine for a few cloves, not a whole head

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
yeah, it's good for a massive number of cloves / unbroken cloves / someone with no knife skills.

I'm pretty much never using more than about 4 cloves so I'll slap them with the Chinese cleaver or bonk a chef's knife with the hell of my hand.

(leaving that typo.)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I was resistant to a garlic press for a long time because microplaning is pretty darn good, but you don’t get quite all of the clove grated that way. My wife bought a press and I haven’t gone back to grating since.

One thing I should probably get but have been resisting is a potato ricer. I’m not sure what happened but I haven’t been happy with the texture of my mashed potatoes in years and I’ve tried everything but the ricer to get smooth, thick potatoes without lumps and/or gluten balls.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My ricer is a quarrel between my wife and I waiting to happen. She hates change but cannot ignore the fact that my riced potatoes turn into smoother mash than her method does.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Now I want to see someone fill a potato ricer with garlic cloves and press it, just to see how much you could get through in one pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Lawnie posted:

One thing I should probably get but have been resisting is a potato ricer. I’m not sure what happened but I haven’t been happy with the texture of my mashed potatoes in years and I’ve tried everything but the ricer to get smooth, thick potatoes without lumps and/or gluten balls.

Have you tried Adam Ragusea's recent method? I have it saved but the planned dinner keeps getting pushed back.