Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

DeathSandwich posted:

It feels like Darktide Difficulty 3+ is a bigger sea change compared to Champion+ in Vermintide. Darktide changes the enemy compositions by a TON as the difficulty goes up, not just in numbers but in armor and weapons. Difficulty 3 has more gunners and elite gunners as well as medium armor melee guys (the ones with the guard armor and maces). You can't just plant in place and play Warhammer Rat Croquet at everything running at you. You have to merk those gunners or they will ruin you.

I can't compare personally myself but yeah, it was a big jump. I do know that every time I went into a difficulty 3 map with a psyker it was CONSIDERABLY easier to deal with elites of any kind, but I did find that Maulers were consistently the worst thing because they spawn 3+ of them in a horde of dudes and their silhouettes aren't that different compared the less armored carapace enemies so it's hard to make them out until they've taken 2/3rds of your health. Plus, a couple of their animations move them forward to attack you even though they are obviously not moving - they kind of just float forward along the ground and their attack ranges get extended by almost a meter or so it felt like. Veterans were basically useless against these guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

For those who are beta-touchers, got a couple questions about character creation.

After you've made a character, can you make a second one of the same type?

At any point could you remake your character for different voice packs or looks if you ended up not liking something?

Yes, you can make whatever you want.

I don't think there was a type of character changing station, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have it or add it. There was a lot in that hub that seemed to imply things were missing.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I made 3 ogryns to listen to all the voices in at least one mission. I would love to instead be able to change my voice on the fly between missions. I'm guessing Brawler is going to be the most popular voice type (I think it's Bardin's VA?) but I also enjoyed how Bodyguard calls people "buddy" a lot. All of the ogryns seem to be having a blast out there in their element, smashing and slashing dudes into little pieces.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Diephoon posted:

I made 3 ogryns to listen to all the voices in at least one mission. I would love to instead be able to change my voice on the fly between missions. I'm guessing Brawler is going to be the most popular voice type (I think it's Bardin's VA?) but I also enjoyed how Bodyguard calls people "buddy" a lot. All of the ogryns seem to be having a blast out there in their element, smashing and slashing dudes into little pieces.

Yeah, if nothing else Darktide's got a great take on Ogryns. Inarticulate, Lovable, and so much more than just dumb muscle. The short story released on the website today pretty much spells it out as well.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't know if I can resist the Psyker's insane german accent even though I'm sure it's what literally everyone will pick.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The cool thing about the background stuff is that I heard people with the same voice as me using lines that my character never said all beta long.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Ogryns are the biggest and thus the bestest you can't argue against this. But also the Zealot is absurdly fun as the actual melee murder class.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

S.J. posted:

Plus, a couple of their animations move them forward to attack you even though they are obviously not moving - they kind of just float forward along the ground and their attack ranges get extended by almost a meter or so it felt like. Veterans were basically useless against these guys.
I read rumours that was caused by how they implemented dodging with a ranged weapon. It's real easy to miss but having a ranged weapon in hand disables the dodge function, which means that melee enemies will keep tracking you even though your model is zipping away from them.

It's not a great feature considering how many monster closets the rooms have.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ChickenHeart posted:

Yeah, if nothing else Darktide's got a great take on Ogryns. Inarticulate, Lovable, and so much more than just dumb muscle. The short story released on the website today pretty much spells it out as well.

This story was so sad! :cry:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Siivola posted:

I read rumours that was caused by how they implemented dodging with a ranged weapon. It's real easy to miss but having a ranged weapon in hand disables the dodge function, which means that melee enemies will keep tracking you even though your model is zipping away from them.

It's not a great feature considering how many monster closets the rooms have.

I could certainly believe it although I swear it happened even while I had melee equipped. Can't test it now of course but we'll see on release.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
felt like I could scoot away but I wasn't expecting tracking to actually fall off when dodging with a ranged weapon.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I dunno, if anything I felt like melee in this game is significantly easier than in VT in terms of melee range and dodge feel unless you're using a ranged weapon at the time, which is intentional. So yeah, if you got goons on your rear end, probably better to have a sword on hand just for the better dodging. It may seem rough but that's why Toughness is a thing now; between all the enemy shooters, you need a health cushion that recovers quickly and Toughness is very good at being that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Grognan posted:

felt like I could scoot away but I wasn't expecting tracking to actually fall off when dodging with a ranged weapon.

Not sure what you mean? I would absolutely expect to get missed by a melee attack that I dodged out of range of.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

For those who are beta-touchers, got a couple questions about character creation.

After you've made a character, can you make a second one of the same type?

At any point could you remake your character for different voice packs or looks if you ended up not liking something?

I ended up doing this, yeah. You have to relevel your character. There was also a limited number of character slots, so you'd not want to keep your old character.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Corbeau posted:

The cool thing about the background stuff is that I heard people with the same voice as me using lines that my character never said all beta long.

I think I heard exactly 1 line where someone called someone else a roughneck and that was maybe the only thing I could imagine came from the backgrounds

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I heard a guardsman say "for cadia!", Might have been from there

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

There's in fact a fun interaction when a non-Cadian and a Cadian Veteran are in the same group:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2yx7gdPyB0

:rip:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't think there was a type of character changing station, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have it or add it. There was a lot in that hub that seemed to imply things were missing.

Fatshark said there would be a barber station, but as it's Fatshark, wouldn't elaborate on the scope of changes you can apply there. Is it just hair, or can you redo everything as long as you have money? And can you use ingame credits or does it use a grindy mat?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Perestroika posted:

There's in fact a fun interaction when a non-Cadian and a Cadian Veteran are in the same group:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2yx7gdPyB0

:rip:

:drat:

That is one hell of a burn.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

KPC_Mammon posted:

I ended up doing this, yeah. You have to relevel your character. There was also a limited number of character slots, so you'd not want to keep your old character.

Wait the levels aren't shared between the chars like vermintide?

One step forwards with allowing characters do hard difficulty initially, 2 steps backward with that

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Could they at least, y'know, give you a stacking 10% XP bonus on new characters after max levelling one?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
They've openly said they're treating Darktide as a "live service game." Don't expect generosity in the grind.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I think I heard exactly 1 line where someone called someone else a roughneck and that was maybe the only thing I could imagine came from the backgrounds

I think this is just what different classes call each other.

Guardsman off the top of my head because I played it the most:

Psykers call you Roughneck

Ogryn call you Boss

Zealots call you Templar

only Veterans call you Veteran

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ogryn call zealots “Shouty” and if that isn’t just the best summation of events I don’t know what is.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thought the Ogryn called everyone Boss and it was just that cool thing people do in the UK where they call someone boss man but it sounds really informal.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Small 6mb update from the beta line today on steam, anyone have any idea what it was about?

Edit: Turns out it was the uninstallers for the EAC

TwatHammer fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 20, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

TwatHammer posted:

Small 6mb update from the beta line today on steam, anyone have any idea what it was about?

they reopened it for special users we're all playing it right now without you

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Goddammit I uninstalled the beta already. Does that mean I have to reinstall to access the EA uninstaller?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Don't worry, you have to reinstall but they made it like 9 MB's in total.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Exodee posted:

Don't worry, you have to reinstall but they made it like 9 MB's in total.

Ahh gotcha. That’s good.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Corbeau posted:

They've openly said they're treating Darktide as a "live service game." Don't expect generosity in the grind.
What does this mean? Destiny 2 but without the open-world elements?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
WOW I was not expecting this hard of a withdrawal from the beta I’m jonesing pretty bad for the games release.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
I was quite lukewarm about both of the betas, but did notice the same that I actually kind of would want to play the game more.

There is something to it, and hopefully the release is mostly bearable

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Chazani posted:

There is something to it
The human brain is programmed to enjoy the dripfeed of coloured items.

But yes I really want to shoot more zombies with a laser gun. :negative:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

WOW I was not expecting this hard of a withdrawal from the beta I’m jonesing pretty bad for the games release.

I always loved the vermintide melee combat so having that + 40k guns is a insta dopamine rush for me.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

ChickenHeart posted:

Tig will be ok, right? :ohdear:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

El_Molestadore posted:

He's fine, he's happily fighting to recapture a farm upstate

no you can't send him a message, he's busy

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

El_Molestadore posted:

The emperor protects.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

El_Molestadore posted:

Considering all the other short stories on the site are centered around a conscript's life prior to ending up in the space-slammer, there's actually a decent chance he lived (and was subsequently arrested for going AWOL).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Oh hey! the ork Metal Slug game just came out last night! it was by pure chance I found out!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1324530/Warhammer_40000_Shootas_Blood__Teef/

I'll check it out to see if it's any good!