Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RTD is great at schlocky bombastic dime novel sci-fi, and I'm here for it.
I just hope he doesn't get stuck in a "THE STAKES FOR EACH SEASON FINALE MUST BE HIGHER THAN LAST TIME" loop again.

I'm also going to be interested to see his LGBTQI+ representation, particularly with Ncuti as his Doctor, now that we're in 2022 and how that plays out onscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Do we know this, or is this just a theory?

Because the vibe I get from the story, even before the twist, is that it's not anti-corporate so much as against "bad" corporations.

We know the “twist ending” part based on what Chibnall and McTighe have said about writing the episode. I recall following a link to an interview from whatever Who thread was active here at the time. The rest is my interpretation coupled with the ways in which the episode’s “twist” sits so uncomfortably with all the other work it is clearly doing, including relating workers to robots and presenting even the AI as a victim, while refusing to give us a human figure like in Arachnids in the UK to hate.

There’s still a muddled message given the decision to equate the AI with the “system,” but it’d work OK if it turned out the AI was following twisted programming while desperately trying to get someone to stop it.

Obviously, neither writer was very committed to that message given the willingness to abandon it completely in order to make their twist ending work. But you don’t start with a story about how capitalism is good if you just treat workers better and end up with this big of a muddle; if you change the ending, why would you then add in criticism that conflicts with the ending?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I forgot there was an Easter Special this year, so I've just watched Legend of the Sea Devils. I wanna say... par for the course for Chibnall. Just really middling.

*Ji-Hun kills a Sea Devil that has literally been imprisoning him for centuries, and was actively trying to kill him in a sword fight*
Doctor "There was no reason to kill him!" :doh:

Doc... you literally just met Ji-Hun 5 seconds ago, it's weird to impart your way of doing things on him.
Then Dan kills like 3-4 Sea Devils with a sword in the next scene... just.. ARGH frustrating writing

Madam Ching also felt weirdly underutilised. You could have removed her and inserted Generic Pirate and it wouldn't have made a lick of difference to the plot.

I will say the last 5min with Yaz + Doc discussing their feelings on the beach was.. actually really great and seeing the Doctor despondent about her relationships felt really humanising
Though I will say outside of that scene the entire episode felt weirdly edited and disjointed, and was obvious in several scenes the characters were playing to the camera rather than an actor. Going to guess Covid played a part in the production on this one

"No ship, sherlock"
(Yeah alright I'll pay that one as well)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Madam Ching is such a fascinating character and making her almost entirely incidental in the episode was such a wasted opportunity.

If I remember right, the Sea Devil suit was a disaster to work with and the editing had to chop the episode enormously to try and get any remotely workable footage out of what they shot with it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
"Don't let the swords touch your skin!"

Hey, you think?

Infinitum posted:

Though I will say outside of that scene the entire episode felt weirdly edited and disjointed, and was obvious in several scenes the characters were playing to the camera rather than an actor. Going to guess Covid played a part in the production on this one

The rumour I heard was that the decision was made to re-edit all the scenes in China at the start, for cultural sensitivity reasons. If you believe the rumour, they also had the Chinese actors redub the entirety of their dialogue to remove them doing an accent (which is why you rarely ever see their mouths moving on screen).

Sounds about right tbh.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It def looked like they were using CGI morphing to make the mouth move a lot.

Jerusalem posted:

Madam Ching is such a fascinating character and making her almost entirely incidental in the episode was such a wasted opportunity.

Right? Like I knew of Madam Ching through just general knowledge osmosis, but if you're going to be introducing historical figures you should DO something with them.
The only impression kids are going to get is that she must be a pretty lovely Pirate Queen if all her crew got captured for ransom.

Especially when you have had multiple eps in Chibnal+Whittakers run showcasing strong women in history, it did her a disservice.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Jerusalem posted:

Dalek 1: DALEKS DO NOT FALL IN LOVE!
Dalek 2: ......WOW.
Dalek 1: ....CAN WE NOT DO THIS RIGHT NO-
Dalek 2: IT'S FINE! IT'S FINE! DO WHATEVER YOU WANT.
Dalek 1: CAN YOU WAIT TILL WE'RE NOT IN FRONT OF INFERIOR CREATURES?
Dalek 2: THEY ARE ALL INFERIOR CREATURES!

Reminds me of these brilliant videos.

https://youtu.be/bf_lh7Gi7yA

https://youtu.be/_FiT5U1rWmo

https://youtu.be/FZADkls2ntc

https://youtu.be/OB1xjb_e4Y0

“WE HAVE REPLACED OUR PEW-PEW WITH A RATTA-TAT-TAT. AND IT CANNOT. POSSIBLY. MISS. RATTA-TATTA-TATTA-TATTA!”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Reminds me of these brilliant videos.

https://youtu.be/bf_lh7Gi7yA

Never seen these before, amazing. "I'll teach you for giving me a night of quality entertainment!"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

One of those times where two of my interests collide :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ISjUtRUyy4

And oddly enough, the first ever minis I painted waaaaaaay back in the day, were from this set, released in 1987 (so long before RTD ever got the idea to have them fighting on screen):

I used enamel paints (silver for Cybermen, gold for Daleks), had absolutely no idea what I was doing, and got into a hobby that has stuck with me pretty much to the present day.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

One of those times where two of my interests collide :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ISjUtRUyy4

And oddly enough, the first ever minis I painted waaaaaaay back in the day, were from this set, released in 1987 (so long before RTD ever got the idea to have them fighting on screen):

I used enamel paints (silver for Cybermen, gold for Daleks), had absolutely no idea what I was doing, and got into a hobby that has stuck with me pretty much to the present day.

Long before RTD was able to broadcast them fighting on screen. I have to assume he'd been wanting that for decades.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dabir posted:

Long before RTD was able to broadcast them fighting on screen. I have to assume he'd been wanting that for decades.

Good point! No idea if RTD got the idea from that set of minis, but it wouldn't surprise me if he saw the box sitting somewhere one day in the late 1980s and got inspired. :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/4sylvestermccoy/status/1581583399545815042

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/SawbonesHex/status/1581597643729383424?s=20&t=ARwEUe3t6hqgHxNgg_JBow

:allears:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Latest batch of books turned up.

The top left isn’t in great condition but it’s 42 years old and was much cheaper than the others so not going to complain.

Also due to having an immature sense of humour I always giggle when these work on cover art.

I’ve made a start on The Dalek Invasion of Earth and it’s considerably more faithful to its television serial than The Daleks was, I expect because by this point books were being regularly released and it is much later in the overall lore.

In fact I think it’s perhaps too faithful to the TV serial; it hasn’t so far really taken any of the advantages that books offer. The Daleks, despite some odd changes to the start of the story and being hamstrung by being told from Ian’s perspective, took the opportunity to depict things not possible on the shows budget at the time; the desperate escape from the Dalek city, fighting mutated monsters at the lake, and a massive control room with a glass Dalek running the show.

I’m just about to start the chapter where the rebels attack the Dalek spaceship, and the changes I’ve seen so far are mainly things like minor changes to dialogue.

There’s actually a noticeable lack of detail in general. The Doctor and Ian comment on how the Daleks look slightly different to how they looked on Skaro; exactly what these differences are isn’t elaborated on and in fact the Daleks don’t get described at all. Now I know just about everyone knows what Daleks look like but come on.

The famous IT IS FORBIDDEN TO DUMP BODIES IN THE RIVER poster is omitted entirely, which is baffling given how iconic it is. The scene where the Dalek rises out of the river Thames is succinctly summarised; no attempt is made to express the surprise and horror of a Dalek emerging from the water, it’s basically “they ran to the river side and a Dalek rose out of the water. Chapter end.”

I’ve not finished it yet so I can’t judge it too harshly (and to be fair it’s not bad, just not that imaginative), but I do hope the other books I’ve acquired do make some attempt to harness the advantages the book offers. The size of The Cybermen, considering it’s based off a 4 parter looks especially promising in this regard.

I do love the cover art style on all these books.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
If you’re interested in books which improve on the original stories, see if you can get hold of Remembrance of the Daleks and The Curse of Fenric - both are excellent expanded novelizations!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Remembrance is very very good.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Most Target books don't stray too far from the televised episodes.

Another great one that does though is Ghost Light. Written by the episode author as he intended, it actually gets the story to make sense, and really expands on it and makes it much more atmospheric and cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is EXACTLY how it happened on the show, too.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Doctor Who and the Cybernyan

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Are you in the US? If so I can send you some stuff

Zaroff posted:

If you’re interested in books which improve on the original stories, see if you can get hold of Remembrance of the Daleks and The Curse of Fenric - both are excellent expanded novelizations!

I think I have both of these, I've definitely got Remembrance.

Edit: actually, just had a look in the attic and I can't find either of them... I definitely had Remembrance at one point

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 19, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Marc Platt's version of Battlefield as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Coward posted:

Doctor Who and the Cybernyan

Okay first, goddamn you

And second, bravo

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Rhyno posted:

Okay first, goddamn you

And second, bravo

Just realised it could've been Doctor Mew.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/Paul_Cornell/status/1583025711182323712?s=20&t=3COuTYCuMCyj9g5xZ6jPpA

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
By not officially resigning until next week, Truss narrowly escapes being the only Prime Minister since the show started to not have an episode air during her tenure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The 10th Doctor narrows his eyes as he looks at Truss.
10: Doesn't she look a bit....
Entire Population of the Planet Earth: ....a bit poo poo, yeah we know.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

OH! That’s what it looks like with the lights on!

https://twitter.com/beer_can_batman/status/1582361710513385472

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Ooh, the hexagon things! I love the hexagon things!"
"What are the hexagon things?"
"I have no idea."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

It looks like it's made of candy, or those semi-transparent soft plastic decorations you put on presents

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
poo poo, it somehow looks worse.

edit: haha, that's probably why they shoot in low light.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The detailing around the edge of the platform has big CBBC energy

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"let's give one of the most colourful Doctors the blandest TARDIS"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*keeps twisting layers of cling wrap to form pillars*

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/RebecTV/status/1583104408308527104

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think it's not fair that your PM resigned before her head had time to fully inflate

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Liz Truss: I'm Liz Truss, former Prime Minister.
Daleks: ......WE HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOU ARE!

The_Doctor posted:

It's not good by any means, but I actually prefer this to the dark, uninviting way it's shown in the show itself.

The finger pillars suck under any lighting conditions at all though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I had no idea there was a dome at the top!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

"Doesn't she look a bit wilted?"

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

It reminds me of the Timelash a bit, somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

She didn't even have time to get tired!